Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Not quite a renewal but I priced up how much it would be to add the GF to my policy. From now to October it's €98, so effectively €147 for a year. Not too bad considering it cost me €600 for 6 months on my mam's i30.
    Thats good but whats her driving record?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Thats good but whats her driving record?

No record whatsoever, she recently got a permit and we're waiting until I can accompany her when my N plates come off in two days. I'm surprised at how little it costs.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    No record whatsoever, she recently got a permit and we're waiting until I can accompany her when my N plates come off in two days. I'm surprised at how little it costs.

So im i , got a quote for my son, 18yr old, learner permit,08 1.6 zafira, €900, thought that wasn't to bad, but still to dear for me to add him.
    ps, and your on N plates too with just 2 year full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Car: 171 Audi TT 2l, petrol 230
    Owned: Two years
    Valuation: €35-€40k
    Declared Mods: None
    NCD: Full
    Licence: 10+ years
    Points: 6 (happened very close together shortly after I got the above car).
    Type: Fully Comp, NCB fully protected. Social and pleasure, commute to work.
    Excess €750
    KM: 19.2k
    Was with Allianz - Quote went up by about €280 to €856. I had 6 penalty points at previous renewal. They said they could bring it down to €800.

Went with 25 plus for €687.01.

Most others I checked with were in excess of €900 as their best policy. Liberty wouldn't quote me.

EDIT - Well, that went pear shaped. I went to make a slight change that brought it back down to €657.01 and then rechecked one other item and went to get an updated quote and the 25 plus system went haywire. Last quote was over €1k for what was essentially the same product quoted only minutes before. Whoops.ie currently the best. I live chatted with a 25 plus rep, and she said the daily rates had just changed, but she'd get a rep to call me. All sounds a bit mad and chaotic. Will further update later once/if I get the call from 25 plus.

Got called back by 25 plus today and paid the €657. for the above. Pheew. :)

The next cheapest was Whoops who would have done it for €750. Apparently 25 plus self insure underwritten by AIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Quotes for a 2005 Mini cooper S, Blue Insurance, Allianz, 25plus and Aviva all within the 860-1000 range for myself (35, 4 years ncd + partner on provisional).

Would prefer to stick with Aviva but they want and extra 200+ if I pay by monthly instalments. Any other providers to try which are worth checking? FBD, compareinsurance.ie, aig, britton, kennco, AA, axa all wanted anything from 1k up to 1700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got my renewal quote from AA.
    €444 fully comp with wife as named driver for 2008 Lancer.
    Went to a local broker. €370 for the same with Aviva who are also the underwriters for AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

jozi wrote: »
    Quotes for a 2005 Mini cooper S, Blue Insurance, Allianz, 25plus and Aviva all within the 860-1000 range for myself (35, 4 years ncd + partner on provisional).

Would prefer to stick with Aviva but they want and extra 200+ if I pay by monthly instalments. Any other providers to try which are worth checking? FBD, compareinsurance.ie, aig, britton, kennco, AA, axa all wanted anything from 1k up to 1700

Bank of Ireland Car Insurance and Post Car Insurance were the cheapest for me with my renewal.

I'd say you're doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland Car Insurance and Post Car Insurance were the cheapest for me with my renewals.

AnPost were ok but when adding open driving went up to more than others. I haven't tried BOI!
    I'd say you're doing well.

It's a good quote, you're right! It's when I want to pay in instalments it goes up significantly with some, all evens out then tbh.

I have my license since 2003, I lost previous NCD because I was named driver for a few years on someone else policy.

Surprisingly the Cooper S is cheaper than the 99 318iS it's replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Not using the template as such but just idea of the increases:
    B 5 Passat 1.8T, 9 yrs NCB (24 yrs in reality) Age: grumpy age:mad:
    yrs driving 30
    Dublin, driveway parking.

F/C, Roadside etc.

2014 : €386
    2015 : €440
    2016 : €624
    2017 : €725 123.ie

Not the worst I suppose but still.....can't sit down....It's too sore.

2018 : €650 123.ie
    2019 : €552 "

The great Irish insurance 'Roller-coaster' in all it's glory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well... you could knock me over with a feather, and my jaw has barely come up from the floor... Late 90's Honda Integra 1.8 R. Full licence since Wham! were in the charts, full no claims bonus, no points, 50 odd, own the jalopy for 14 years, second owner.

Got my renewal quote from last years brokers. 2100 quid. Up by 500 quids. Eh, no. If thats the best you can do? That's third party BTW. And with a big enough excess? Feck right off.

So got on the phones. After similar and two even higher quotes and the usual "no you're driving a PuppyEater 3000, feck off!", I tried Chill for the craic. Chap comes back to me sounding a bit "are you sitting down?". As it turned out I should have been. 800 quid. :eek: That's for fully comp too. And other extras. The only downside is I don't have open drive for other cars, but big whoop, I can easily live without that. I couldn't get my credit card out quickly enough. :D

From what I could glean; my age, the length of ownership of the car, and it being a bog standard car, zero claims and points really helped. I suppose I look like a "good risk"? That some companies are taking that sorta thing into account is a major positive.

Interestingly it's underwritten by Axa. The same Axa that wouldn't have a bar of me directly and were also the underwriters for the other have "I just dropped acid and it's coming on?" daft quotes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's a good quote, you're right! It's when I want to pay in instalments it goes up significantly with some, all evens out then tbh.

Yeah, they get into loan shark territory if you pay per month. Can you get a loan with your bank and pay that way?

Wibbs... mad stuff! A spotty teenager would have hardly been quoted more. Maybe you look really young on your driver's licence. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Got a renewal Quote from FBD 1350(full comp + 10 years no claims bonus) and put my details into 123.ie and got a fully comp quote for 679.

rang FBD they just cancelled my renewal and said they couldn't come near the quote but that I should read the terms and conditions carefully, has anyone gone with 123.ie at half the price i'd be mad not to got with them.

cintec wrote: »
    Got a renewal Quote from FBD 1350(full comp + 10 years no claims bonus) and put my details into 123.ie and got a fully comp quote for 679.

rang FBD they just cancelled my renewal and said they couldn't come near the quote but that I should read the terms and conditions carefully, has anyone gone with 123.ie at half the price i'd be mad not to got with them.

I'd protect your ncb if I were you.

Breakdown assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

One thing to be wary of is they will have an administration fee to do anything for you. Eithre 40 or 80.
    Lose your disc , transfer your insurance to another car . They will charge you every time. It wouldnt be long mounting up.

That said i was in a similar position .
    With fbd for years . Went to boi for half the premium.
    The bones of a weeks wages saved

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Last year on my 03 Laguna €504 3rd party with BoI
    Quote this year for same car €600

Car was in reasonable condition but to get it through the NCT would have required a bit of money for new tires amongst other things (i presume)

So decided to change cars: 12 Fluence and the quote went down to €312 Fully comp with BoI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

9935452 wrote: »

One thing to be wary of is they will have an administration fee to do anything for you. Eithre 40 or 80.
    Lose your disc , transfer your insurance to another car . They will charge you every time. It wouldnt be long mounting up.

I was with 123.ie for years, had no admin fee if getting loan cars from garages. Or changing main car.
    Beat to verify such statements.
    Probably moving from 123 myself in a few weeks as I just got a quote from Sertus, through Chill, and it would seem to equal my 123 package, which also is RSA, but 450 instead of 729. Same vehicle, same insurer for years, no penalty points etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

An Ri rua wrote: »
    9935452 wrote: »

I was with 123.ie for years, had no admin fee if getting loan cars from garages. Or changing main car.
    Beat to verify such statements.
    Probably moving from 123 myself in a few weeks as I just got a quote from Sertus, through Chill, and it would seem to equal my 123 package, which also is RSA, but 450 instead of 729. Same vehicle, same insurer for years, no penalty points etc etc.

They must have changed their admin fees policy regarding transfering insurance

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/do-all-insurers-charge-admin-fees-for-changes.139323/

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/admin-fee-for-temporary-sub-on-car-insurance.131367/

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056219281

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭flowers345

00 car too old according to 25 plus.
    anyone know one that will take old bangers for a decent price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

flowers345 wrote: »

Try the AA. I always have old cars and haven’t been able to beat them on price the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bank of Ireland won't quote for cars over 16 years now either:
    BOI77.png

Try 123.ie and Liberty, both seem to quote for older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭flowers345

nope 123 is 'outside the acceptance criteria' age of car.

Do any quote these days for older cars ?

nope 123 is 'outside the acceptance criteria' age of car.

That's odd, I just received an online quote there for a 00D Honda, 1.4 (€984, TPF&T).

That's the quote they've been offering me for weeks but having paid €500 odd for years I'm actually thinking of just selling it as it's too much I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

That's odd, I just received an online quote there for a 00D Honda, 1.4 (€984, TPF&T).

That's the quote they've been offering me for weeks but having paid €500 odd for years I'm actually thinking of just selling it as it's too much I feel.

If you already have a policy for a car and it reaches the 16 year old cut off point they will continue to insure you. Its new business they won't take on if the car is over 16 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Do any quote these days for older cars ?

Did you try AXA? They were OK to take on my 16 year old car last year.

my3cents wrote: »
    If you already have a policy for a car and it reaches the 16 year old cut off point they will continue to insure you. Its new business they won't take on if the car is over 16 years old.

That's true, but my renewal quote (it had been €525 for four years) was €1,470.

Full NCB, no accidents, points or claims of any kind too.

my3cents wrote: »
    Did you try AXA? They were OK to take on my 16 year old car last year.
    So thats one, AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

851 fully comp on a 01 Passat with Allianz, saved a whopping 36 euro by ringing them....

No one else will insure me on such an old big car, but I need it as I have a bad back and need something comfortable, I have 11 years NCB

Rode even more because I can't afford a new car at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Renewal time again on a 2017 C class MB

Axa :€1,150
    Avivia:€1000
    Avivia through the AA :€900
    Liberty :€970
    First Ireland :€870
    BOI :€780

Went with Bank of Ireland and that’s no claims fully protected, no penalty points, 7 years plus no claims, Full licence.

Advertisement