Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chr15

F; 30 (31 by time renewed policy kicks in).
    171 Hyundai i20
    Driving 10+ years but only last 2 on my own policy.
    No claims. No points.
    Fully comprehensive:

Liberty (renewal): €688
    It's4women: €707
    BofI: €573
    Axa: €616
    An post online couldn't find car and wouldn't let me enter manually
    Aviva: €1319

All are cheaper than what I paid last year, other than Aviva.

I used to have a parent on my policy to reduce it but both are retired now. Am I right in thinking that being retired adds a premium? So won't help with reducing cost

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

Changed car recently, went from 2004 automatic Lexus IS200, renewal quotes in November ranged from €1380(Liberty renewal) to €4279 on that. Aviva and An post wouldn't/couldn't quote the car at all.

Car: 2008 Audi A5 1.8 TFSI Quattro Coupe
    NCD: 8 Years
    Licence: 8 Years
    Claims: None
    Went with the AA full comp for €547
    Liberty: €778
    An Post: €1082
    123.ie: €1196
    BOI: €1238
    AXA: €1863
    Aviva: €2212

Aviva seem to just pull the figures from sky, consistently highest quote every year for me.
    Changed occupation from student when I finished college last year and it knocked premium down €300 on previous car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

full comp on a seat ibiza 1.2. 464 approx. same as last year. cant remember the company..i did it through a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

DPolo wrote: »
    Changed car recently, went from 2004 automatic Lexus IS200, renewal quotes in November ranged from €1380(Liberty renewal) to €4279 on that. Aviva and An post wouldn't/couldn't quote the car at all.

Car: 2008 Audi A5 1.8 TFSI Quattro Coupe
    Went with the AA full comp for €547
    Liberty: €778
    An Post: €1082
    123.ie: €1196
    BOI: €1238
    AXA: €1863
    Aviva: €2212

Aviva seem to just pull the figures from sky, consistently highest quote every year for me.
    Changed occupation from student when I finished college last year and it knocked premium down €300 on previous car

I'm still waiting for mine in the post from AA. But i've just done this quote
    Car: 2012 Skoda Superb 1.4
    €750

I see no logic. Cant wait for the renewal letter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Your Age: 30
    Car type and engine: 2004 Ford Focus Saloon 1.4L
    years driving: 12
    NCB: 5+
    any claims or points: no

€650 with AIG

Just got the renewal. €618, no change in details. I am ASTOUNDED it went down. Ran a comparison on 123.ie and it was €897. Axa wanted over €1k

• Advertisement

morritty wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for mine in the post from AA. But i've just done this quote
    Car: 2012 Skoda Superb 1.4
    €750

I see no logic. Cant wait for the renewal letter

Neither can I, was expecting to get quotes around same or little higher on the new car.
    Not complaining for the drop in my own insurance, but I can't figure out how people driving longer than me with 1.2/1.4 Ibiza/Golf/Octavia/Focus etc. are paying more.

Neither can I, was expecting to get quotes around same or little higher on the new car.
    Not complaining for the drop in my own insurance, but I can't figure out how people driving longer than me with 1.2/1.4 Ibiza/Golf/Octavia/Focus etc. are paying more.
    God no, i wouldn't be complaining at all.

I'll update with fun news in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

€280 again this year with Aviva, €316 monthly, fully comp,2008 opel zafira 1.6 , no points,no claims, full bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    €280 again this year with Aviva, €316 monthly, fully comp,2008 opel zafira 1.6 , no points,no claims, full bonus.

Reported

No good news stories about reasonable premiums allowed :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Axa wanted over €1k
    I have found - and threads like this seem to confirm it - that AXA and Aviva are nearly always the highest WTF quotes of all. And seem to vary depending on which way the wind blows. Sadly they're the only ones who'll quote for my car, through brokers anyway. A direct approach always comes back with a laughable figure.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One thing I've noticed when looking around for quotes is a load of the companies/brokers under the "high performance cars" section after two seaters and open top list - and I kid thee not "Cars with fuel-injected engines". What internal combustion engined cars these days don't come with fuel injection? I haven't seen a carburettor since the 90's. It's as if some of them still live in the days of flat caps and grease nipples and copy and paste from each other.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed when looking around for quotes is a load of the companies/brokers under the "high performance cars" section after two seaters and open top list - and I kid thee not "Cars with fuel-injected engines". What internal combustion engined cars these days don't come with fuel injection? I haven't seen a carburettor since the 90's. It's as if some of them still live in the days of flat caps and grease nipples and copy and paste from each other.
    I had a stupid quote before. I asked why. The reason was that a 1.8 litre petrol Mazda 6 with 120hp was a high performance car.

I have found - and threads like this seem to confirm it - that AXA and Aviva are nearly always the highest WTF quotes of all. And seem to vary depending on which way the wind blows. Sadly they're the only ones who'll quote for my car, through brokers anyway. A direct approach always comes back with a laughable figure.

Seems only in last 3 years they've gone mad.
    AXA were the only ones who'd insure me when I was 17, €1900 for first time insurance wasn't too bad, most other quotes then where over €5k for a car that was worth €3k at most at time.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Len_007

Male, 35, Licence holder for 10 years, no points, no claims, Peugeot 5008 1.6d. I share the care with my SO who does not have her own car.
    Chill €538
    AA €717
    FBD €539
    Axa €722
    Aviva were quoting me €552 to renew, but then the operator gave me a "discretionary discount" which brought it down to €489, fully comp. So I went with that.

morritty wrote: »
    I had a stupid quote before. I asked why. The reason was that a 1.8 litre petrol Mazda 6 with 120hp was a high performance car.
    Me. Not shocked. They seem to just pull some of their notions out of a hat. Or their arse. But yeah and in case folks might think me joking earlier here's Chill's website...

469554.jpeg

"Fuel injected engines". Name me a car released in the last ten, hell twenty years not running field injection. Given most won't cover over past ten, fifteen years old no car coming to them will be without it(other than an EV). "Performance car" :rolleyes:

You couldn't make this level of out of touch with a side order of bullshit dribbling idiocy up. And this is a pretty consistent one, almost word for word, across different "independent" company's websites. Hell, maybe I should ditch the injection and strap on four huge weber carbs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hell, maybe I should ditch the injection and strap on four huge weber carbs. :D

DO IT!!! :eek:

Fuel economy would go out the window but it would sound good though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

08 Nissan tidda 1.6 petrol

33 yo full licence 15 years no claims ect

fully comp with aviva wife included

last year €530
    renewal this year €444

pretty happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

The Nal wrote: »
    123.ie just told me to fúck off because its not taxed.

Same, 123.ie looking for car tax to renew my policy. On that basis ive taken up car insurance with another provider. I tax my 1.9 diesel once a year @ €190 instead of €673 for the full year.

Yes Im breaking the law, I get away with it and have no quibble in doing so. Im not gonna be penalised for driving a 15 year old NCT'd perfectly roadworthy vehicle that is maintained meticulously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

WHAT! Your saying you drive around most of the year with no tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

vickers209 wrote: »
    08 Nissan tidda 1.6 petrol

33 yo full licence 15 years no claims ect

fully comp with aviva wife included

last year €5306
    renewal this year €444

pretty happy with that

;) ;( tida huh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

Chr15 wrote:
    I used to have a parent on my policy to reduce it but both are retired now. Am I right in thinking that being retired adds a premium? So won't help with reducing cost

I had a retired parent (under 70) as a named driver with Aviva and it reduced the premium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Car: 09 G Saab 93, 1.9 Diesel

Declared Mods: None: Standard car

NCD: 9

Licence: Full, 20+ years

wife is named driver, has 3 points

Renewal: €529 online RSA

Best: BOI: 428 3rd party, breakdown assist etc.
    Others:
    Corn Market: 700 odd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just got my renewal up to 735 from 728 last year RSA through boi full license no claims 47yo male on a 2012 2.0 diesel avensis really thought bit would have come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Male 50. Full NCB, no points etc

Mercedes SL 500
    Mercedes 220CE
    Mercedes CL500
    Smart for 2 Cabrio
    Toyota Yaris

Full business cover

Total premium €2479

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭grounderfill

Car: 2015 D Kia Optima 1.7 Diesel

NCD: 5+
    55% No claims discount

Rear ended - full responsibility accepted by other driver.

Renewal: €700 cheapest quote zurich
    Quotes of €958 and €1000
    Fully comprehensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Same, 123.ie looking for car tax to renew my policy. On that basis ive taken up car insurance with another provider. I tax my 1.9 diesel once a year @ €190 instead of €673 for the full year.

Yes Im breaking the law, I get away with it and have no quibble in doing so. Im not gonna be penalised for driving a 15 year old NCT'd perfectly roadworthy vehicle that is maintained meticulously.

How do you get around back taxing these days?:confused: Transfer to a new owner and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Car: 2015 D Kia Optima 1.7 Diesel

NCD: 5+
    55% No claims discount

Rear ended - full responsibility accepted by other driver.

Renewal: €700 cheapest quote zurich
    Quotes of €958 and €1000
    Fully comprehensive

You're v similar to me (posted few days ago, 43,wife 3 pointd) & I got €450 through BOI. Give them a call, if you're not a BOI customer ask what the rate would be if you joined.

Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

ofcork wrote: »
    Just got my renewal up to 735 from 728 last year RSA through boi full license no claims 47yo male on a 2012 2.0 diesel avensis really thought bit would have come down.

Tried 123.ie over 1000 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Renewal quote of 605 from Quotedevil who I have given a lot of business to over many, many years without one claim.

Quote is for both of us who are named drivers on each others policies, rang Insuremyvan and got a quote of 570.

We never had an accident or a penalty point between us, anyone know any other place worth ringing? Mine is commercial jeep and herself has family car.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭grounderfill

dinneenp wrote: »
    You're v similar to me (posted few days ago, 43,wife 3 pointd) & I got €450 through BOI. Give them a call, if you're not a BOI customer ask what the rate would be if you joined.

Pa

Cheers.
    Have a boi account for years...
    Above quote with Zurich is fully comp at €700

Bank of Ireland Quote:

Annual Premium: €681.30 Third party fire and theft

Bank of Ireland
    Prestige:

Annual Premium: €745.89 fully comprehensive

Advertisement