Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldur's Gate III

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm pretty sure I have 1 & 2 on GOG but I've never played them. Worth going back now?

Are they the best versions or are there enhanced/remastered versions I could get elsewhere?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can play through the entire trilogy using the Enhanced Edition Trilogy mod. It allows you to play through the the entire series using the BG2 engine. It's how i'm going to start my playthrough this weekend.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate:_Enhanced_Edition_Trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There are remastered versions on Steam, with support for modern resolutions. They also have 'additional content', which I wasn't overly impressed with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

genuine lol-ing at these posts... memories.
    i only played bg1 once, i think i didn't know there was no limit on monster summons in that. brilliant. monster summoning for off-screen mobs was definitely one i used a lot.

still super enjoying dos2 now! 33 hours in and i've only just found that hollow marshes sanctuary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody else play Sword Coast Legends. Its set in the same world as Baldurs Gate. Not a patch on Baldurs Gate series but worth a try and I found it decent, I think they took it down off steam though.

https://ie.ign.com/videos/2015/10/27/sword-coast-legends-review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Glebee wrote: »
    Anybody else play Sword Coast Legends. Its set in the same world as Baldurs Gate. Not a patch on Baldurs Gate series but worth a try and I found it decent, I think they took it down off steam though.

https://ie.ign.com/videos/2015/10/27/sword-coast-legends-review
    Never heard of that, I had Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance on the PS2 though, cheap Diablo clone, I think it got a sequel.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kiith wrote: »
    You can play through the entire trilogy using the Enhanced Edition Trilogy mod. It allows you to play through the the entire series using the BG2 engine. It's how i'm going to start my playthrough this weekend.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate:_Enhanced_Edition_Trilogy

So basically the only one I would need to buy to use that mod is the second one? (Don't actually have them on GOG after all)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So basically the only one I would need to buy to use that mod is the second one? (Don't actually have them on GOG after all)
    I'll tell you later once i actually try it tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There has been a supposed leak of screenshots ahead of the big gameplay reveal later.

• Advertisement

Looks great. Definite hints of divinity original sin 2, which if fine by me. If it can be anywhere near that good, we are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Looks great indeed. :o

Opening movie released as well. I assume you'll play as one of those captives?

Gameplay write up as well. Sounds fantastic.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/baldurs-gate-3-gameplay-preview/

Full reveal plus gameplay as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Looks ok. As long as it doesn't bash me over the head with stupid comedy constantly like Divinity did, ill give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Oh god no am I seeing that right, they've gone down the action points route?

Oh god no am I seeing that right, they've gone down the action points route?

Yeah, same (or similar) system as Divinity Original Sion 2. As someone who hated turn based and loved real time, i don't actually mind though. It's a really well implemented system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Couldn't stand Div because of it despite all the good reviews. Not even going to bother with this if that's what they're implementing.

I didn't like Div 1 because of it, but the 2nd was fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Turn Based > Real Time combat.

Saying that, the infinity engine combat is one of the better real time combat systems.

I wasn't following this at all but it looks fantastic and the fact that Larian are the developer, well I can't think of a better developer for a new Baldur's Gate game. Very tempted to splash out on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Turn Based > Real Time combat.

Saying that, the infinity engine combat is one of the better real time combat systems.

I wasn't following this at all but it looks fantastic and the fact that Larian are the developer, well I can't think of a better developer for a new Baldur's Gate game. Very tempted to splash out on this.

Ugh turn based. Nearly as bad as random battles. Can’t stand either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Random Battles can take a long walk off a short pier.

Turn based though is fantastic when done right. Most people think Final Fantasy when they think of turn based. Most FF games have very poor use of turn based systems. When I think of Turn based I think of the likes of Grandia, Shin Megami Tensei and in the case of western games XCom and Jagged Alliance. And well Divinity OS2.

Anyone telling me they hate turn based combat needs to play xcom then apologise to me. Anyone that says they don't like Xcom can just stop talking to me before I get very mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone telling me they hate turn based combat needs to play xcom then apologise to me. Anyone that says they don't like Xcom can just stop talking to me before I get very mad.

I don't like X-Com...

... I love X-Com.

It seems to be very divisive but I had no interest in this until I just saw it was Larian. I could never warm to the old Barldur's Gate games but if it's anything like Divinity, sign me up.

I don't even know how real time combat with work in an rpg like this. I'm imagining micro like MOBAS.

I don't even know how real time combat with work in an rpg like this. I'm imagining micro like MOBAS.

Considering the first two games were real time theres a quick way to find out.

It works surprisingly well actually. But much prefer a more tactical battle. Especially if there are dice rolls. Reminds me of crimson shroud which needs to be expanded on with a full game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The gameplay and environments looks all to samey to Divinity so far, hopefully they pace it better as well as I got burnt out with both Divinity games.

I was hoping they would diverge both series more like when Black Isle came out with Icewind Dale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I played Divinity I Enhanced even though i hated the art style, hated the cutesy comments, ignored the story BUT i really enjoyed the combat.
    Turn Based Combat is much more strategic than Real Time.
    Besides, that's the way D&D is actually played - in turns.

Watching the BG3 preview, it looks like Divinity with an overlay Baldurs Gate mod, but i have to say i love the art this time and am looking forward to it.

Kinda wish we could get some wide open sorts of areas and not everything so caged-in and claustrophobic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only started Divinity 2 but like it so far, ~20 hours in and no longer spend most of the game on fire.

Advertisement