Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of Grafton College

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You've just got Stockholm syndrome! You need to ditch English just as I and many more Brothers of the Bog have! We need to enact this plan.

1. Ban English. And then and only then when every last one of us is speaking the mother tounge....

2. Protect jobs here by getting the Americans to stop speaking American and adopt our language.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not a dead language

It's not even used in the Irish "speaking" areas so how is it a living language?

OP we'd be better off teaching people languages that people use like Spanish or Mandarin/Cantonese so that they can converse with people. And then when they've learnt a useful 2nd language they can use the skill to learn Irish, because the way we do it now is wrong (10+ years of compulsory teaching and hardly anyone can talk or read in it!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I won't even say "what's the craic" anymore because of the "what's" and the "the"!!!

And the English word craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

TomSweeney wrote: »
    That's a great idea, get foreigners learning a practically useless language.

In Catalonia there is 6M + speakers of catalan - it is a used language, but even there you are advised to learn Spanish first, what chance does Irish have ?

Advised?
    Quin et va doner aquest conseil tio?
    Jo no l'ha rebut mai.

Tá seans maith ag an Gaeilge leis na gaelscoileanna.

dotsman wrote: »
    Its been on life support for a hundred years, at huge expense. If we pulled the plug tomorrow, it would disappear in no time. That makes it a dead language. Rather than let it go with dignity, a tiny fraction of people have turned it in to a political football, costing us a fortune and making most people hate it and everything it stands for.

Oh, an I don't think I have read anything as stupid as the OP in a long time. Displays a typical "gaelgoir" attitude, lacking logic, knowledge and empathy.

The constitution would have to change to fully ditch it. You probably need to organise on that one.

Like most people who don’t use Irish I’m happy to see it exist in some fashion. The two extremes here are generally confined to the internet.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    Delighted that 23 teachers have not been paid and have lost their jobs, 2 weeks before Christmas?

You’re not even on the wind-up either. What a nasty little man you must be.

He wants to revive the workhouses and is hoping for mass declines in wages here. As to his own work situation, not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

The constitution would have to change to fully ditch it. You probably need to organise on that one.
    I don't think there would need to be a change. Just stop making it a part of our school curriculum, stop subsidising things like TnaG etc and other state supported BS.
    Like most people who don’t use Irish I’m happy to see it exist in some fashion. The two extremes here are generally confined to the internet.
    I don't think there are many people who want to see it die. I think it would be great if it was able to exist independently. But I think most people would be happy to let it go peacefully, rather than continuing with the current sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I just flat out refuse to use the old enemies language! No oppression for me, I won't even say "what's the craic" anymore because of the "what's" and the "the"!!!

**** English. Up da Ra!!!!!

What's it got to do with an ancient Egyptian sun god?

I don't think there would need to be a change. Just stop making it a part of our school curriculum, stop subsidising things like TnaG etc and other state supported BS.

It’s the official language of the state so that’s why you need to change the constitution.
    I don't think there are many people who want to see it die. I think it would be great if it was able to exist independently. But I think most people would be happy to let it go peacefully, rather than continuing with the current sham.

The majority are ok with funding it too (hardly a significant expense).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bans should be handed out for this.

I did sidle into the thread expecting to close it as shite, but it's so unintentionally funny I just can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

topper75 wrote: »
    Advised?
    Quin et va doner aquest conseil tio?
    Jo no l'ha rebut mai.

Tá seans maith ag an Gaeilge leis na gaelscoileanna.

Haven't a clue what the first paragraph means, Catalan perhaps? Should the question mark be upside down or is that just Spanish?

I went to the Gaelteacht 30 years ago for a summer, loved it! I was almost fluent in the language when i finished. But - big "BUT", after speaking nothing except English and a tiny smattering of German since, it's completely vanished from my brain. I live in the southeast, not known for its gaelgeoirs.

There used to be an advert on tv "people will talk to you in Irish..." they didn't. :(

And yes, I feel sorry for the teachers who lost their jobs, timing aside, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

While I have no particular love for irish, I wouldnt like to see it or any language die out completely.
    It should be in the curriculum but optional as a choice for you language subject.
    There will always be people who want to learn and study it. Maybe a small national college that preserves the language in written and audio from and gives lessons to those who genuinely want to learn. Can't cost more than what is spent on keeping it on life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

So say for example non irish people with zero English become proficient in Irish, how will that assist them in gaining employment ...

This was addressed in the initial post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Delighted that 23 teachers have not been paid and have lost their jobs, 2 weeks before Christmas?

Or woman...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

TomSweeney wrote: »
    That's a great idea, get foreigners learning a practically useless language.

In Catalonia there is 6M + speakers of catalan - it is a used language, but even there you are advised to learn Spanish first, what chance does Irish have ?

Irish has a better chance than Hebrew had just a few decades ago. Now millions are speaking that language and its growth is exponential. As for English, it`s success was primarily the consequence of capitalism. Should the English speaking countries of the world turn communist, the relevance of English will decline.

Capitalism will collapse in English speaking countries come the next recession.

Meanwhile, English is being studied in every "communist" country as the second language.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Irish has a better chance than Hebrew had just a few decades ago. Now millions are speaking that language and its growth is exponential. As for English, it`s success was primarily the consequence of capitalism. Should the English speaking countries of the world turn communist, the relevance of English will decline.

i suspect it wont, i suspect it ll be just fine, it has survived countless wars and major downturns such as 29 and 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was delighted to hear of the closure of Grafton College. By rights we should focus on reviving Gaelic in this country and not teaching English. As for the teachers occupying the college after the announced closure, it would be a cold day in hell before I would give them a cent.

Gaelic is doing alright.
    Sure just look at little Mullinalaghta slaying the megafunded many thousands membered club from the leafy southside of the Capital.
    That's the real Gaelic for ya, not some hugely funded megarich club with players and coaches from the entire country. ;)
    Foreigners coming to this country are often highly motivated through their desperation to escape the poverty and wars in their home countries. I say lets capitalize on that desperation and revive Gaelic at the same time. By getting these people to learn Gaelic to a high degree of fluency in three years or less, the new immigrants will become more Irish than the Irish themselves. They could not only earn the right to citizenship but be guaranteed immediate employment in a new total immersion education system in Ireland, starting with kindergarten and progressing from there each year to the next more senior class until even all of the university graduates receive all their tutorials through Irish and that would take about 20 years (from pre school to the fourth year in college).

Am I not correct?

Eh we don't have kindergarden in this country.
    We do however sometimes have kinder surprises. :D
    Let me get this straight.

These poor people are fleeing war, hunger, terror.

They trek across the continent for days/weeks/months in search of a new life.

They finally land in the fair green island of Ireland and the 1st thing you want to do is force them to learn that dead language and then a lifetime of servitude forcing them to teach others? :rolleyes:

Don't worry most of the ones have never fled any war or terror.
    Most of the ones in these language schools are from the likes of China and are usually holding down jobs whilst pretending to be learning language in school.
    I have shared house with some of them and they are definitely not work shy like some of the ones fleeing all these wars and terrors. ;)
    Omackeral wrote: »
    If it's a piss-take, it's shite. If it's serious, it's shite. If it's some sort of parody, tongue-in-cheek social commentary or anything else for that matter, it's shite. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, it's fairly shite.

Ah now be fair.
    I think the OP might have a point, but instead of learning Irish/Gaeilge why not have them learn Shelta/Cant/Gammon?
    After all it is the language of our indigenous ethnic minority.

And shure we should all be learning it so us "country people" can interact more with our ethnic minority neighbours to make them feel more welcome.
    Besides we can learn a huge amount about their culture. ;)

I also think that all these language schools should operate a good old fashioned 1950s catholic ethos so that new people to the state can properly integrate into a true christian republic. :pac:
    People of dubious religions can be converted to the right path and have it as part of criteria for citizenship.

Put some nuns or even some christian brothers in charge for the ultimate integration experience to Ireland.
    I would say give the head job for this new initiative to someone like Ronan Mullins and he can pull in people like Mickie Harte to help with the spread of our gaelic games to these new people.

Now have I left anyone out ?
    Ah yes I would have Danny Healy Rae in charge of the spread of proper no nonsense scientific education to these new arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Am I not correct?
    Yes. You are not correct.

You have been comically and reliably not correct in pretty much everything you’ve ever posted on here.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Somehow he slipped through the net. Ray Burke spoof should have been the clincher.

There's also this dinger (in the Cork forum of all places) Should Cork City Council change place names that could offend the new Irish?

endacl wrote: »
    Yes. You are not correct.

You have been comically and reliably not correct in pretty much everything you’ve ever posted on here.

:)

So you are not going to look at their predictions for 2019 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This was addressed in the initial post.

Create thousands of pointless teaching jobs?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Saw a poor woman saying she be left homeless after it on News last week. Awful to hear.

Create thousands of pointless teaching jobs?

Well there are loads of pointless jobs already.

Like those litter wardens who fail to stop people dumping rubbish at halting sites all over the country. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I was delighted to hear of the closure of Grafton College. By rights we should focus on reviving Gaelic in this country and not teaching English. As for the teachers occupying the college after the announced closure, it would be a cold day in hell before I would give them a cent.

Foreigners coming to this country are often highly motivated through their desperation to escape the poverty and wars in their home countries. I say lets capitalize on that desperation and revive Gaelic at the same time. By getting these people to learn Gaelic to a high degree of fluency in three years or less, the new immigrants will become more Irish than the Irish themselves. They could not only earn the right to citizenship but be guaranteed immediate employment in a new total immersion education system in Ireland, starting with kindergarten and progressing from there each year to the next more senior class until even all of the university graduates receive all their tutorials through Irish and that would take about 20 years (from pre school to the fourth year in college).

Am I not correct?

...And the new week starts off with a bang folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's not a dead language

It's on life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think you should do the stand-up circuit.
    Comedy gold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

PoliticalSameKoodoo-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement