Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What politicians need to understand about the Crucifixion

Options
  • 26-05-2018 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Obviously the crucifixion happened as a consequence of sin. After all, if there was no sin in the world, how could the crucifixion have happened. So, why did God not intervene to save Christ?

This is an important question, so important in fact that Christ used his dying breath to ask it. Crucially however, I believe the reason Christ asked this question was so that humanity would ponder the answer. Having pondered it myself, it is obvious why Christ had to die on the cross. If God had intervened, it would have seemed like nepotism to humanity. It would have seemed like nepotism to me so in order to prevent that perception, Christ had to suffer as he did.

So, even though I was born nearly 2000 years after the event, I was the cause of Christ`s suffering, as was all of humanity. Did God want to save his son from crucifixion? Of course. But the prize of love and the necessity of the lesson was so important, it had to happen.

That kind of sacrifice is what real leadership is about and nepotism is corrosive to authority. The king of kings demonstrated this. Humanity (not least politicians) needs to devote more time to the understanding of the Christian message.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Obviously the crucifixion happened as a consequence of sin. After all, if there was no sin in the world, how could the crucifixion have happened. So, why did God not intervene to save Christ?

This is an important question, so important in fact that Christ used his dying breath to ask it. Crucially however, I believe the reason Christ asked this question was so that humanity would ponder the answer. Having pondered it myself, it is obvious why Christ had to die on the cross. If God had intervened, it would have seemed like nepotism to humanity. It would have seemed like nepotism to me so in order to prevent that perception, Christ had to suffer as he did.

So, even though I was born nearly 2000 years after the event, I was the cause of Christ`s suffering, as was all of humanity. Did God want to save his son from crucifixion? Of course. But the prize of love and the necessity of the lesson was so important, it had to happen.

That kind of sacrifice is what real leadership is about and nepotism is corrosive to authority. The king of kings demonstrated this. Humanity (not least politicians) needs to devote more time to the understanding of the Christian message.

Should we seek to understand the Christian message exclusively?
    Should we seek to emulate Christ in his Essene approach to Judaism and all convert to the faith of Abraham?
    Or should we just choose whichever of the messianic interpretations espoused by every single branch of Christianity and often at odds with one another best suits or specific need at any given time?

To the detriment of all other prophets or religious sects?
    If the path to salvation is exclusively Christian only?
    How do we choose the correct interpretation of that path? Or are we all predestined regardless of our choices?

Or, should we as a race regardless of creed aim more towards treating people that little bit better each time we interact?
    Should we hope that morality and choice are a better path than Dogma and scripture?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fairly tenuous link to politicians there!

Sorry but most of what you say is balls to me, and probably most others in general society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

banie01 wrote: »
    Should we seek to understand the Christian message exclusively?
    Should we seek to emulate Christ in his Essene approach to Judaism and all convert to the faith of Abraham?
    Or should we just choose whichever of the messianic interpretations espoused by every single branch of Christianity and often at odds with one another best suits or specific need at any given time?

To the detriment of all other prophets or religious sects?
    If the path to salvation is exclusively Christian only?
    How do we choose the correct interpretation of that path? Or are we all predestined regardless of our choices?

Or, should we as a race regardless of creed aim more towards treating people that little bit better each time we interact?
    Should we hope that morality and choice are a better path than Dogma and scripture?
    I am not a Protestant even though I agree with a lot of what Protestants say about Christianity, sometimes more than what the Catholic Church says. Surely that does make me a Protestant I hear you assert. Absolutely not! God founded the Catholic Church not Henry VIII. One thing I would be very critical of the Catholic Church for is that it does not participate in the World Council of Churches. The Catholic Church probably has its own version of this though but in any case I think Christians should try to reunite all of Christianity in a single Church even if the scope of agreement is very basic. Integrating the churches as one should be an ongoing effort with all churches willing to compromise as opposed to being dogmatic.

When people try making up their own morality it often ends badly. The Communist revolution in Russia had a lot of youthful enthusiastic supporters but by 1990, the new youth completely rejected what their great grand parents fought for in their youth. By then, the young of 1917 were old and dying. Today, having gone through a few decades of post Communist madness, Russia is becoming more conservative and religious which is wonderful to see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If unborn Irish children have no right to life, why should stone throwing Palestinians?

For the very simple reason that most Christians in this country do not consider the unborn to be people in the same sense as those that have been born.
    Or do choice and morality belong to some and are they imposed on others?

Clearly not. The Catholic church and some (but not all) other Christian churches have attempted to impose their morality on others and this is increasingly being emphatically rejected. We live in a democracy, not a theocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Smacl has pretty much answered the question you asked regarding comparing a fetus and stone throwing Palestinians.

There is to my mind, and to mind of the plebiscite a difference of an order of magnitude between an Embryo and an a person.

Is this where you want to lead the discussion?
    I'd rather discuss the notion you raised initially than go on off on a tangent.
    You seem to equate morality with Catholicism and even more that that you seem to espouse all branches and creeds of Christianity come together in a singular church and faith.
    The very origin of what Catholic means.

Your introduction of Communist atheism as an example of what can go wrong when People try to "create" their own morality is a red herring.
    Surely the same could be said of every excess of faith?
    Particularly with regard to Papal excess.
    Or does that not count because of infallibility?

Morality to my mind at least, is a framework of social norms and accepted common practice.
    It is a guide to what society as a whole feels is acceptable and what is not. It is a parent teaching their child the difference between right and wrong and hoping that their child will choose right when pressed.

Morality does not need to stem from a Godhead and any moral code that relies on fear of punishment or damnation in the afterlife fails in providing any incentive to actually make the here and now better.
    We have grown out of the days of enduring suffering as a penance and hoping for our reward in the hereafter.

I would revert however to my original point, given your hope for a Universal Christian church.
    Is this to mean that all those not subscribing to Catholicism in its form espoused by you are to be denied "salvation"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

I still don't understand the crucifixion of Jesus. I don't believe in human sacrifice, I don't see how sacrificing a human being can wipe out "sin". What even is "sin"?

People do bad things, if they themselves truly feel bad and try to make up for it then the people they wronged can decide to forgive them.

It doesn't matter how many animals or humans you sacrifice (even willing ones like the Aztecs had) I don't see how killing counteracts other unconnected people's wrongs.

Why couldn't God just say I forgive you humanity? If someone wronged me and I wanted to forgive them I would without demanding human sacrifice.

I still don't understand the crucifixion of Jesus. I don't believe in human sacrifice, I don't see how sacrificing a human being can wipe out "sin". What even is "sin"?

People do bad things, if they themselves truly feel bad and try to make up for it then the people they wronged can decide to forgive them.

It doesn't matter how many animals or humans you sacrifice (even willing ones like the Aztecs had) I don't see how killing counteracts other unconnected people's wrongs.

Why couldn't God just say I forgive you humanity? If someone wronged me and I wanted to forgive them I would without demanding human sacrifice.
    On your first point, I see the crucifixion as a lesson to the world. By applying the lesson i.e. being selfless, loving unconditionally etc, people can follow the path of righteousness and thereby find salvation.

God did not demand or want Christ sacrificed. It was God and Christ who made the sacrifice to humanity, not the other way around. Had God not done so, humanity would not have had the lesson that is the crucifixion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Morality to my mind at least, is a framework of social norms and accepted common practice.
    It is a guide to what society as a whole feels is acceptable and what is not.

So when a society has social norms and practices which your society finds abhorrent (fgm, child sacrifice, slavery, viewing others as sub human and exterminating them) is it the case that they are both right?

Is it case that if society flows in a particular direction what was once wrong is now right.

Is it the case that its the majority who's norms and practices are right - since social norms and practices aren't uniform.

Or is it (as we heard post modernist-think out itself recently) a case of " whats right for me is right for me / whats right for you is right for you"? Society then, merely sets out laws to reflect what the largest number of "rights" on a subject think about the matter?

Its right to consider abortion, for instance right. And right to consider it wrong. As the recent campaign shows, people don't actually believe the view you espouse. Likely, not even yourself.

That Christian message is engraved into the hearts of men anyway - even if in abridged form. Its called conscience.

Even though my post modern friend, responded to above, thinks otherwise, there are universal truths writ deep in us all. Prof. Dawkins demonstrates this in his book 'The God Delusion - it not mattering that he ascribes it to a different common ancestor than we do. Time, society, age, religion, education ... won't overwrite it. They'll just fiddle around at the fringes of it.

Its not that men have to attend more to the Christian message (although it would help restore tattered fringes). It's that God ensures they attend. And in the measure they resist and make up their own way, they suffer. Suffering and guilt (and their opposites, joy, peace and commended conscience) form The Great Steering Wheel. Whether through minor correction or wholesale wrenching, society is kept on track. Even if bashing off walls on either side, along the way.

Its always been this way and always will be. There is no need to worry or exhort as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

I think Christians should try to reunite all of Christianity in a single Church even if the scope of agreement is very basic. Integrating the churches as one should be an ongoing effort with all churches willing to compromise as opposed to being dogmatic.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

That kind of sacrifice is what real leadership is about

Not much of a sacrifice of he knew he was coming back in 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Nick Park wrote: »

Isn't that what the EA has tried doing along with a certain Pentecostal denomination.

Recipe for disaster is an understatement!

Isn't that what the EA has tried doing along with a certain Pentecostal denomination.

Recipe for disaster is an understatement!

Trying to make one Christian church through compromise? Absolutely not! As someone who has been involved with leading Evangelical Alliance for several years, I'm shocked that we have communicated our mission so poorly that anyone would ever have such an impression.

The whole point of an organisation like Evangelical Alliance is to resource different churches and organisations with their various emphases and passions to continue to do what they can do well, and to encourage cooperation where we can do certain things better together.

So, the Salvation Army has it's own distinctive characteristics and strengths. As do Presbyterians, Pentecostals and others. Each group demonstrates different aspects of the Gospel particularly well, much better than if they were to amalgamate into one blended homogeneous ecclesiastical soup.

Like salad dressing. You can mix oil and water all you like, it'll separate back out in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Peatys wrote: »

God has a Mars bar. He love this Mars bar dearly. It is his only Mars bar – because he does not want to make any more but he could make an infinite number of Mars bars if he wanted – but he doesn’t. A bunch of people hate this Mars bar. God, who created both the Mars bar and the people is responsible for the behaviour of both, and he loves them both a lot. He decides that the best way forward is to give up the Mars bar to the people to make them happy (and free them from a thing called sin which God also invented and cursed all people with from birth).

As God hands over the holy Mars bar, the people hang it on a cross, putting it through agony and when it’s dead, it goes into a cave and no one can see what’s happening inside. God obviously has magic powers. He could stop all this from happening but then the people would have to live with the aforementioned sin that God invented and presumably, would all burn in hell because of the rules that God also invented. So – about 3 days after the Mars bar dies, some friends go inside the cave and the Mars bar is gone – but it left its wrapper behind. They put in in a place where lots of people can go and have a look at it and to this day it’s still a big draw.

So while it might seem like God has sacrificed something dear to him (Mars bar) to save another thing dear to him (people) – in fact through magic, when the Mars bar disappeared from the cave, it actually got beamed straight to heaven, in perfect nick but also now immortal – like an everlasting gobstopper. So God has pulled an incredible PR stunt here – it looks like he gave up his beloved Mars bar for people but in fact at worst he had to go without it for 3 days and for an infinite being, that’s not too shabby. He gets all the credit with minimal hassle.

It’s a beautiful story that has inspired millennia of tolerance and love.

Peatys wrote: »
    That makes the sacrifice greater. The agony in the garden would not be most people`s understanding of a good time.

steamsey wrote: »

It’s a beautiful story that has inspired millennia of tolerance and love.

People tend to ignore the part Satan plays in all this. God works in mysterious ways for a reason(s). For example, God most likely wants people to do what is right because it is right and not just for reward.

Also, divine intervention may open a portal through which forces of good and evil can pass through. After all, in order to have light, there must be darkness. This scenario (and the necessity of faith over knowledge) would be a reason why we do not see God`s miracles each and every day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

People tend to ignore the part Satan plays in all this. God works in mysterious ways for a reason(s). For example, God most likely wants people to do what is right because it is right and not just for reward.

Also, divine intervention may open a portal through which forces of good and evil can pass through. After all, in order to have light, there must be darkness. This scenario (and the necessity of faith over knowledge) would be a reason why we do not see God`s miracles each and every day.

I'm afraid God doesn't sound very powerful if he opens a portal but then can't stop the devil using it.

Seems like Irish rail have more control over their trains then god has over evil

God most likely wants people to do what is right because it is right and not just for reward.

If God could want something that He did not get it would imply he was neither omnipotent nor omniscient. Similarly, if the above were true, how exactly can a mortal second guess what God might or might not want. Surely this would require you to comprehend God's mind, which would in turn require you to be omniscient?

smacl wrote: »
    If God could want something that He did not get it would imply he was neither omnipotent nor omniscient.

That's where you have to consider free will. If free will is a gift worth giving, then it means God voluntarily choosing not to exercise power to control us. I see no logical reason why an omnipotent omniscient being cannot choose to give free will, or why He cannot choose to voluntarily refrain from acting in a particular way.

Omnipotence does not mean that God does everything. It means He can do anything, but can also choose not to.
    Similarly, if the above were true, how exactly can a mortal second guess what God might or might not want. Surely this would require you to comprehend God's mind, which would in turn require you to be omniscient?

Bad logic again. Another alternative is that God could choose to communicate His will to a mortal. Hardly a deal breaker for an omniscient being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

That's where you have to consider free will. If free will is a gift worth giving, then it means God voluntarily choosing not to exercise power to control us. I see no logical reason why an omnipotent omniscient being cannot choose to give free will, or why He cannot choose to voluntarily refrain from acting in a particular way.

Omnipotence does not mean that God does everything. It means He can do anything, but can also choose not to.
    Christians presumably accept that God has made choices and continues to do so.
    These choices would be made within the framework of existence created by God.

Man's free will has little to do with it. If you want something to happen in the full knowledge that in won't happen, you're not omnipotent. Similarly if you want something to happen, and don't know whether or not it will happen, you're not omniscient. Words like want/wish/desire etc.. express a preferred outcome for an unknown future event. If you already know the future, these words are meaningless, regardless of how you slice or dice your theological determinism.
    Bad logic again. Another alternative is that God could choose to communicate His will to a mortal. Hardly a deal breaker for an omniscient being.

Your inference here is that realitykeeper's speculation on God's motives are Divinely inspired. The problem here is that anyone can equally make any claim about their understanding of God's motives, but if you allow that a person might have an imagination (difficult to have free will without one), how do we separate divine inspiration from mere imagination?

Man's free will has little to do with it. If you want something to happen in the full knowledge that in won't happen, you're not omnipotent. Similarly if you want something to happen, and don't know whether or not it will happen, you're not omniscient. Words like want/wish/desire etc.. express a preferred outcome for an unknown future event. If you already know the future, these words are meaningless, regardless of how you slice or dice your theological determinism.

I think you're committing a fairly basic error by interpreting 'omniscient' and 'omnipotent' in a rather simplistic way, ignoring the fact that in philosophy and theology there is a lot of discussion over how such terms should be defined. (In a way, it's similar to how Creationists sometimes bandy scientific jargon around without understanding it).

As I've already pointed out, omnipotence is perfectly compatible with choosing not to do something that one can do (ie not forcing someone to do something, but giving them free will instead). Omnipotence does not include doing things that are inherently logically impossible (eg creating a square circle, or giving free will while simultaneously exercising complete control over our actions)

Omniscience, by many philosophers' definition, does not necessarily mean knowing the future. Rather it can mean knowing all possible outcomes dependent upon the decisions that free moral agents make. (Think of a chess player who can see all the future permutations depending on his opponent's next move). The reasoning here is that omniscience only includes knowing things that are true. If someone possesses genuine free will, and has not made their choices yet, then the outcome of those choices are not yet 'true'. Therefore, it is argued, it is inherently logically impossible to know in advance what a free moral agent will choose in any given situation.

There are plenty of good philosophy resources online if you want to read up on it a bit more.

However, even if we assume that an omniscient being can know the future, that does not make it unreasonable to speak of that being's will as regards future events. In this scenario, God gives us free will. He would want us to use that free will for good in every situation, but knows that sometimes we won't. Nevertheless, the gift of free will (without which you cannot have love) is a morally good thing, and outweighs the harm that our wrong choices might create.

Your inference here is that realitykeeper's speculation on God's motives are Divinely inspired. The problem here is that anyone can equally make any claim about their understanding of God's motives, but if you allow that a person might have an imagination (difficult to have free will without one), how do we separate divine inspiration from mere imagination?

No, my inference is that realitykeeper's speculation on God's motives are a religious person's speculations - which was once the kind of thing that this forum existed for.

I was simply pointing out the poor logic in your claim that guessing God's motives somehow involves claiming omniscience for ourselves.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm afraid God doesn't sound very powerful if he opens a portal but then can't stop the devil using it.

Seems like Irish rail have more control over their trains then god has over evil

That is because your choice is your own and God allows that.

If God could want something that He did not get it would imply he was neither omnipotent nor omniscient. Similarly, if the above were true, how exactly can a mortal second guess what God might or might not want. Surely this would require you to comprehend God's mind, which would in turn require you to be omniscient?
    I would have thought God`s will was obvious. Love one another. In others words, take time to help the elderly or vulnerable. Volunteer in the community. Don`t be selfish like people who demand high pay. Be generous. Be conscientious in environmental matters even if it means discomfort, inconvenience or effort. Be courteous and thoughtful toward others and above all, be self sacrificing.

I would have thought God`s will was obvious. Love one another. In others words, take time to help the elderly or vulnerable. Volunteer in the community. Don`t be selfish like people who demand high pay. Be generous. Be conscientious in environmental matters even if it means discomfort, inconvenience or effort. Be courteous and thoughtful toward others and above all, be self sacrificing.

At what point in the history of Christianity did this understanding of God's will become obvious, was it before or after the crusades or when Christians were burning heretics for example? While I take you're point about wealth, I rather doubt the Vatican holds the same opinion given the amount of it they've hoarded.

The behaviours you describe above are basically what many people would consider aspects of being a decent human being and member of society. If your religious beliefs inspire you to behave as you describe, more power to your elbow. That said, people of other religions and no religion are as likely to behave this way too, and similarly Christians are as likely as anyone else to behave poorly.

At what point in the history of Christianity did this understanding of God's will become obvious, was it before or after the crusades or when Christians were burning heretics for example?

Before

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That is because your choice is your own and God allows that.

Except that's not the case, as God does not exist. Hence why it would not be all powerful.

Of course if you take the line that God exists, which out of the many thousands of God's is the God somebody chooses to believe in? Thor?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Except that's not the case, as God does not exist. Hence why it would not be all powerful.

Of course if you take the line that God exists, which out of the many thousands of God's is the God somebody chooses to believe in? Thor?
    Evidence of God is subtle because it has to be. If it was abundant there would be no need for faith in which case being a good soul worthy of salvation would be motivated purely by self interest like saving to buy a car or a house as opposed to doing what is right because it is right.

Yet in order to be aware of the existence of God, some evidence is necessary. There is every reason to believe Christ existed but the miracles of Christ require faith. The new testament was predicted in the old testament, so there are fact based clues to support faith in one Christian God.

It amuses me when people try to disprove the existence of God because even when they present evidence, the faithful simply increase their faith for higher salvation. Final point, faith in a general sense is extremely important in the struggle for survival on earth. A priest once told a story of a guy in Africa with a pile of salvaged bricks which he had collected to build his house. The priest said that man had more faith than he had because he saw his future house in what most people would regard as a pile of rubble.

Advertisement