Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cork City Council change place names that could offend the new Irish?

Options
  • 08-05-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

There are a number of youth hostels on Wellington Road and French tourists sometimes stay there. In order to be diplomatic to our fellow EU citizens, should Cork City Council change the name of Wellington road to something that is more patriotic to the Irish and less offensive to the French? Similarly, surely it is time to find a more diplomatic name for Trafalgar hill, in case a French person sees it.

Irish heroes are less likely to cause offense as Ireland was never a country of international warmongering. If for some reason, our city Councillors do not want to make such changes, then how about disguising the potentially offensive English names by using an Irish only version, maybe something like Bóthár O`Wellicáin, instead of Wellington Road.

Also, Zimbabwean students may be attending UCC which is near Victoria Cross. Under a royal charter granted by Queen Victoria, the Zimbabwean city of Bulawayo was once burned to the ground, among countless other atrocities around Africa and the world. Surely, in the interests of diplomacy, Cork City Council should immediately change these offensive place names just as UCC should rebury or sell the statue of Queen Victoria back to the English and use the money to pay down debt or (if there are no debts) for something worthwhile.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The place names are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The place names are fine.
    I appreciate the Blue shirts want to annoy the Sinners but do they want to annoy everyone else too? What of the Zimbabweans? What of the French?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe the tourists can try to not stay in addresses that offend them?

Maybe they already do?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Am I wrong?

fee6585b8246c224b68cd1431c4dd3e9.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe the tourists can try to not stay in addresses that offend them?

Maybe they already do?
    Well yes, like addresses in other countries that don`t offend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Wellington was one of the most famous Irishmen of all time.

I'm suspicious that this topic is just a wind up.

yenom wrote: »
    Wellington was one of the most famous Irishmen of all time.

I'm suspicious that this topic is just a wind up.
    I assume we are talking about the man who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo? If so, he was English. Lest we forget, the foreigners who took our land were no less foreign for their theft. As far as I am concerned, that truth applies as much to their descendants as it did to Cromwell.

This is why my heart rejoices so much when I hear of land expropriation without compensation in South Africa and now in Namibia also. Ireland paid billions to get (most of) our land back, when it should instead have received billions in back rent for 700 years of occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe these visitors aren't so petty to be annoyed or offended by the name of a street?

No reason for you to be offended on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I would be pretty confident that the tourists, students and backpackers don't give a flying fcuk what the streets are called.

It's just you being insecure and offended for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭thomil

I would be pretty confident that the tourists, students and backpackers don't give a flying fcuk what the streets are called.

It's just you being insecure and offended for other people.

As a foreigner (German) myself, I have to agree. I don’t give a rat’s behind whether a street is named after Wellington, Churchill, Georgi Zhukov, Patton, Eisenhower, or whoever!!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The places arent called Nazi avenue or Holocaust road, I dont think anyone is going to get offended by some throw back to ye old Empire days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There are a number of youth hostels on Wellington Road and French tourists sometimes stay there. In order to be diplomatic to our fellow EU citizens, should Cork City Council change the name of Wellington road to something that is more patriotic to the Irish and less offensive to the French? Similarly, surely it is time to find a more diplomatic name for Trafalgar hill, in case a French person sees it.

Irish heroes are less likely to cause offense as Ireland was never a country of international warmongering. If for some reason, our city Councillors do not want to make such changes, then how about disguising the potentially offensive English names by using an Irish only version, maybe something like Br O`Wellic, instead of Wellington Road.

Also, Zimbabwean students may be attending UCC which is near Victoria Cross. Under a royal charter granted by Queen Victoria, the Zimbabwean city of Bulawayo was once burned to the ground, among countless other atrocities around Africa and the world. Surely, in the interests of diplomacy, Cork City Council should immediately change these offensive place names just as UCC should rebury or sell the statue of Queen Victoria back to the English and use the money to pay down debt or (if there are no debts) for something worthwhile.

Am I wrong?

Yes.

Even by your (uniquely low) standards, this thread is abject nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭jaykay74

rabble rabble

the state of this lad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I assume we are talking about the man who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo? If so, he was English.

He was worse, he was a Jackeen...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Euuuh. We definitely should change it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can you report a poster’s username as false advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

The irony of the OP's username!

As long as they leave Faggot Hill alone I don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I assume we are talking about the man who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo? If so, he was English. Lest we forget, the foreigners who took our land were no less foreign for their theft. As far as I am concerned, that truth applies as much to their descendants as it did to Cromwell.

This is why my heart rejoices so much when I hear of land expropriation without compensation in South Africa and now in Namibia also. Ireland paid billions to get (most of) our land back, when it should instead have received billions in back rent for 700 years of occupation.

Why was he English and not Welsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The places arent called Nazi avenue or Holocaust road, I dont think anyone is going to get offended by some throw back to ye old Empire days.

Sure what's wrong with Holocaust Road. Surely it would only become a problem if it was Holocaust Denier road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

Irish heroes are less likely to cause offense as Ireland was never a country of international warmongering. If for some reason, our city Councillors do not want to make such changes, then how about disguising the potentially offensive English names by using an Irish only version, maybe something like Br O`Wellic, instead of Wellington Road.

Am I wrong?
    yes....

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe these visitors aren't so petty to be annoyed or offended by the name of a street?

No reason for you to be offended on their behalf.
    Then why are people in South Africa defacing statues of Queen Victoria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_KoTKGbj8

thomil wrote: »
    As a foreigner (German) myself, I have to agree. I don’t give a rat’s behind whether a street is named after Wellington, Churchill, Georgi Zhukov, Patton, Eisenhower, or whoever!!

It always amuses me when someone claims to be something that cannot be verified, as if that adds credence to their assertion.

I think the Afrikaners have a name for those with one foot in South Africa and the other in Britain, i.e. soutpeil. Sout meaning salt and (politely speaking), peil refers to the Englishmen`s willies. One wonders if they would consider Wellington to be an honorary soutpeil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Dear lord, just when I thought the ultra left / social justice movement couldn't get any more ridiculous lol

There must be something else more important for you to worry about, this has to be one of the most pointless threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

italodisco wrote: »
    Dear lord, just when I thought the ultra left / social justice movement couldn't get any more ridiculous lol

There must be something else more important for you to worry about, this has to be one of the most pointless threads

The op is not known for living up to his username. Been predicting an economic collapse for years now. It was due last year, so it looks like they have moved onto another topic noone cares about.

italodisco wrote: »

I am actually very right wing. It is an anomaly in this country that nationalism is associated with the far left, like the Sinners for example. In other countries, it is the right that tends to be nationalist.

Owryan wrote: »
    The op is not known for living up to his username. Been predicting an economic collapse for years now. It was due last year, so it looks like they have moved onto another topic noone cares about.
    Being early is different to being wrong. I try to warn people for their sake, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I am actually very right wing. It is an anomaly in this country that nationalism is associated with the far left, like the Sinners for example. In other countries, it is the right that tends to be nationalist.

Okay, but come on now, be honest, this thread was just don't for a laugh right?

Please say it's so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Wellington was an Irishman, who despised Ireland. Read more history.

Ireland paid back billions? No, we only legally promised to. Have you never heard of the Economic War? Read more history....

Advertisement