Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of Grafton College

Options
  • 10-12-2018 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I was delighted to hear of the closure of Grafton College. By rights we should focus on reviving Gaelic in this country and not teaching English. As for the teachers occupying the college after the announced closure, it would be a cold day in hell before I would give them a cent.

Foreigners coming to this country are often highly motivated through their desperation to escape the poverty and wars in their home countries. I say lets capitalize on that desperation and revive Gaelic at the same time. By getting these people to learn Gaelic to a high degree of fluency in three years or less, the new immigrants will become more Irish than the Irish themselves. They could not only earn the right to citizenship but be guaranteed immediate employment in a new total immersion education system in Ireland, starting with kindergarten and progressing from there each year to the next more senior class until even all of the university graduates receive all their tutorials through Irish and that would take about 20 years (from pre school to the fourth year in college).

Am I not correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Good god.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So OP, where to you keep this 'reality'?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

It’s Gaeilge you absolute plank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Its a bit early for a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I like the cut of your jibe op, where do I sign up to your cult, apologies, organisation, as I to wanna rule the world and whip these ejits into shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Gaelic?
    Capitalize??
    Kindergarten??

Sure OP. You seem the right voice on this matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

btl0LhW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was that really worth the two minutes it took to type out, because I only read it and I feel cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

btl0LhW.png

Is that Horse Gaeilge?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It’s Gaeilge you absolute plank

It`s Gaeilge in Gaelic you two short planks.

• Advertisement

Bans should be handed out for this.

Delighted that 23 teachers have not been paid and have lost their jobs, 2 weeks before Christmas?

You’re not even on the wind-up either. What a nasty little man you must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

It`s Gaeilge in Gaelic you two short planks.

Stop using the word Gaelic, people will know you’re American if you do.

Am I not correct?

Yes. You are not correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I was delighted to hear of the closure of Grafton College. By rights we should focus on reviving Gaelic in this country and not teaching English. As for the teachers occupying the college after the announced closure, it would be a cold day in hell before I would give them a cent.

Foreigners coming to this country are often highly motivated through their desperation to escape the poverty and wars in their home countries. I say lets capitalize on that desperation and revive Gaelic at the same time. By getting these people to learn Gaelic to a high degree of fluency in three years or less, the new immigrants will become more Irish than the Irish themselves. They could not only earn the right to citizenship but be guaranteed immediate employment in a new total immersion education system in Ireland, starting with kindergarten and progressing from there each year to the next more senior class until even all of the university graduates receive all their tutorials through Irish and that would take about 20 years (from pre school to the fourth year in college).

Am I not correct?
    Hand in your username on your way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Learn Gealic? What's sport got to do with your post which appears to be about learning a language?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Let me get this straight.

These poor people are fleeing war, hunger, terror.

They trek across the continent for days/weeks/months in search of a new life.

They finally land in the fair green island of Ireland and the 1st thing you want to do is force them to learn that dead language and then a lifetime of servitude forcing them to teach others? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Am I not correct?

Yes, you are not correct.

So say for example non irish people with zero English become proficient in Irish, how will that assist them in gaining employment in say the local factory, shop, hotel or some other business when 99.99% of those business conduct ALL of their day to day business through English?

I’m guessing you are a Senator in the Seanad because your proposal is right up there wuth some of the hair brained proposals that eminate from that doss house on a regular basis.

I feel so sorry for the staff. No salary paid to them in November which most people who are paid monthly would be using for Christmas. Not to mention normal bills like mortgage, rent, insurance, utilities.

I wouldn’t wish what they are going through on my worst enemy. Just hope that whoever deals with statutory part of their redundancy is processing their claims as I type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Let me get this straight.

These poor people are fleeing war, hunger, terror.

They trek across the continent for days/weeks/months in search of a new life.

They finally land in the fair green island of Ireland and the 1st thing you want to do is force them to learn that dead language and then a lifetime of servitude forcing them to teach others? :rolleyes:

It's not a dead language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Was that really worth the two minutes it took to type out, because I only read it and I feel cheated.

If it's a piss-take, it's shite. If it's serious, it's shite. If it's some sort of parody, tongue-in-cheek social commentary or anything else for that matter, it's shite. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, it's fairly shite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭woddensanta

Who even uses English now a days anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Fantasy keeper strikes again. Do you have any more of them red pills?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Who even uses English now a days anyway??

I'm getting sick of using Google translate, it makes me look like Im dyslexic or something

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm getting sick of using Google translate, it makes me look like Im dyslexic or something

I just flat out refuse to use the old enemies language! No oppression for me, I won't even say "what's the craic" anymore because of the "what's" and the "the"!!!

**** English. Up da Ra!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

That's a great idea, get foreigners learning a practically useless language.

In Catalonia there is 6M + speakers of catalan - it is a used language, but even there you are advised to learn Spanish first, what chance does Irish have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's not a dead language

Its rarely used, like latin its as good as dead used only by a tiny minority

TomSweeney wrote: »
    That's a great idea, get foreigners learning a practically useless language.

In Catalonia there is 6M + speakers of catalan - it is a used language, but even there you are advised to learn Spanish first, what chance does Irish have ?

You've just got Stockholm syndrome! You need to ditch English just as I and many more Brothers of the Bog have! We need to enact this plan.

1. Ban English. And then and only then when every last one of us is speaking the mother tounge....

2. Protect jobs here by getting the Americans to stop speaking American and adopt our language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's not a dead language

Its been on life support for a hundred years, at huge expense. If we pulled the plug tomorrow, it would disappear in no time. That makes it a dead language. Rather than let it go with dignity, a tiny fraction of people have turned it in to a political football, costing us a fortune and making most people hate it and everything it stands for.

Oh, an I don't think I have read anything as stupid as the OP in a long time. Displays a typical "gaelgoir" attitude, lacking logic, knowledge and empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

This has to be a pisstake/troll merchant.

Advertisement