Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the last episode was good, they made a gaffe with the leg which seemed lazy

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Boom Bitch... lmao how many times did I imagine someone like O’Brien or Worf sayimg something like that. Finally a bit of character for the nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DLY5VcGUQAAAL_Z.png:small

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I really enjoyed it,same as most posters I was on the fence for the first episode ,to be fair I thought it was going to be an out and out comedy but by ep 4 it knew what it was.
    No one mentions Norm Mcdonald could be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Decent episode. Top guest star! I laughed a lot at the leg :)

Really finding the ambient ship noise thing feels comforting or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

some fantastic writing in episode 6 'The Krill'

cool how the krill look so much like the jem'hadar, pretty sure that was done on purpose too.

darkly comic in places, couldn't help but laugh out loud at the
    Avis jokes and Gordon being stabbed in the new leg

Quality episode.

I thought the plot devise to take back the ship was weak but overall decent episode

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blazer wrote: »
    Boom Bitch... lmao how many times did I imagine someone like O’Brien or Worf sayimg something like that. Finally a bit of character for the nav.
    Funny, I was watching Generations on TV the other night and after they destroy the Duras sisters' ship, Data does the victory fist thing, saying "Yes!".

Reminded me of your comment. I guess since Generations was the first thing produced without Roddenberry, they felt like they could divert from established practice. Previously they would never have shown an officer celebrating the destruction of a ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

seamus wrote: »
    Funny, I was watching Generations on TV the other night and after they destroy the Duras sisters' ship, Data does the victory fist thing, saying "Yes!".

Awful moment, along with "Go to hell" (Spock, ST VI), "Oh, ****!" (Data in Generations, again), and "to hell with our orders" (Data, again, in First Contact).

I thought Tilly's exclamation
    in the recent Discovery episode was much better placed than any of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought they overdid it with the 'Avis' jokes but I did get a laugh out of Mercer making a speech before the hailing channel was open. I liked the ending, it didn't let Mercer off the hook morally over what he did on the ship.
    Surely they could have incapacitated the Krill crew instead of outright killing them?

• Advertisement

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I thought they overdid it with the 'Avis' jokes but I did get a laugh out of Mercer making a speech before the hailing channel was open. I liked the ending, it didn't let Mercer off the hook morally over what he did on the ship.
    Surely they could have incapacitated the Krill crew instead of outright killing them?

Time wasn't on their side either, so i'd go with what he did from that perspective as a means to an end - ye get to understand both sides of it, and there's where the writing shone, for me anyway.

The Avis joke was way too much. It's odd; for a show with one of the best comedy writers of recent years, they don't know when to end a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yeah. One joke/reference to Avis would have done it.
    It still manages to mix silly comedy with a darker element. The jokes and the reference to the children and their reaction to the crew being burned alive. Pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Found Ep 6 to be the best, Avis aside i found it took a dark twist at the end and looked to set up a good long term arc with the krill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭corkie

No episode this week --- a recap instead!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

some fantastic writing in episode 6 'The Krill'

cool how the krill look so much like the jem'hadar, pretty sure that was done on purpose too.

darkly comic in places, couldn't help but laugh out loud at the
    Avis jokes and Gordon being stabbed in the new leg

Quality episode.

I agree they look very lie the Jem'hader but without the need for katricil white instead they are
    brainwashed by there religion
    silverharp wrote: »
    I thought the plot devise to take back the ship was weak but overall decent episode

What you mean? They never had to take back any ship
    seamus wrote: »

He had is emotion chip in.

Reminded me of your comment. I guess since Generations was the first thing produced without Roddenberry, they felt like they could divert from established practice. Previously they would never have shown an officer celebrating the destruction of a ship.

Data had his emotion chip in thats why he said that. He was still getting used to his emotion chip.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    Awful moment, along with "Go to hell" (Spock, ST VI), "Oh, ****!" (Data in Generations, again), and "to hell with our orders" (Data, again, in First Contact).
    I thought Tilly's exclamation
    in the recent Discovery episode was much better placed than any of those.

Jeez man lighten up. I love all them sayings and a little comedy which has always been done well in Star Trek is good.

I get a great laugh seeing Data saying that.

So what you you say if you about to crash into a planet as your ship is out of control and there is nothing you can do? Maybe "Awe here we go" or "well we are on the way now"
    Greyjoy wrote: »

They don,t seem to have a problem destroying Krill ships. So far they have
    destryed 3 Krill ships and killed the crew off a fourth to capture it

Yeah. One joke/reference to Avis would have done it.
    It still manages to mix silly comedy with a darker element. The jokes and the reference to the children and their reaction to the crew being burned alive. Pretty impressive.

But they never seen that happen
    BrookieD wrote: »
    Found Ep 6 to be the best, Avis aside i found it took a dark twist at the end and looked to set up a good long term arc with the krill

I preferred episode,s 4 and 5 myself. If this show is PG rated how could they get away with the gruesome scene in the church?
    corkie wrote: »

Awe boring. Why no show this week?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

corkie wrote: »

lol Mass Effect music in that recap :D haha

Shame about the delay, is that a superbowl thing or something?

No real attempts at humour in the recap. Signaling a change of tone perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Goodshape wrote: »

It was Data with his emotion chip....and I thought it was great.

Think back to TNG and that scene with Data in command, bringing Worf into the ready room and chastising him about orders and command. Now compare that to... "to hell with our orders".

It shows character growth. I thought that was a great line for Data.

The new episode (#7 Majority Rule) was very familiar, if you've watched black mirror, you'll see what i mean.

Done slightly different, didn't expect it to go the way it did, but that's just how this show seems to work.

More recognizable guest stars, specifically
    Major Hayes from Enterprise hah
    :D

not as good as previous episodes though, was expecting more from this episode, and i guess having seen the topic tackled elsewhere already i found myself associating it with BM more than enjoying it for what it is.

Still enjoyable though

• Advertisement

Honestly if you've seen Insurrection, Who Watches the Watchers, First Contact (Malcor episode), and TOS Earth like episodes then you've seen this.

That doesn't mean it's bad and the social commentary is fun, just highly derivative

^^^

as I hadnt seen any of these shows I thought it was cool, they made a good poke at the retarded sjw's cultural appropriation and the money scene seemed to be a nod to the 4th movie. A very good episode where the comedy was toned down and im sure won anyone over who wasnt sure about the comedy element to the show.
    Production values were light in this episode but they get away with it as a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Honestly if you've seen Insurrection, Who Watches the Watchers, First Contact (Malcor episode), and TOS Earth like episodes then you've seen this.

That doesn't mean it's bad and the social commentary is fun, just highly derivative

The concept of an advanced raise moving in secret among a less advanced raise is standard sci-fi fare alright. That was not the part I found interesting.

The social commentary in this episode was what was interesting, with its commentary on cultural appropriation, apology tours, public shaming, reality TV, rating or voting on everything. Some of the concepts are quite new and particularly relevant to modern internet society, so, I wouldn't consider them derivative.

Not to mention the interesting idea of a completely democratic society with no leadership. If everyone decides on what they want without any leadership then it is possible that nothing will ever get decided and opinions will become more extreme and we may lean towards a lowest common denominator society.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Not to mention the interesting idea of a completely democratic society with no leadership. If everyone decides on what they want without any leadership then it is possible that nothing will ever get decided and opinions will become more extreme and we may lean towards a lowest common denominator society.

its an interesting idea, they tend to over egg the idea by having it so extreme , humans wouldnt vote to be killed for making a social faux pas they would erm be out voted :pac:

Previous franchises of Trek have touched on how worlds would operate and the different crew members going against these and while they had their social commentaries, it still felt Trek. This was just like it was trying to be Black Mirror.

its an interesting idea, they tend to over egg the idea by having it so extreme , humans wouldnt vote to be killed for making a social faux pas they would erm be out voted :pac:

They weren't being killed, they were being "corrected"

It was a good device for commentary, however, trial by social media is rampant now days, costing jobs and prospects, for minute to major issues with an immediate presumption of guilt.

Look to the trouble that college professor got into because some SJW group thought he was at the Nazi parade in Charlottsville, or the automatic presumption of guilt at any guy being accused of Sexual harassment (guilty or no there is no legal process being followed, it's all playing out on social media)

They weren't being killed, they were being "corrected"

It was a good device for commentary, however, trial by social media is rampant now days, costing jobs and prospects, for minute to major issues with an immediate presumption of guilt.

Look to the trouble that college professor got into because some SJW group thought he was at the Nazi parade in Charlottsville, or the automatic presumption of guilt at any guy being accused of Sexual harassment (guilty or no there is no legal process being followed, it's all playing out on social media)

it was some kind of lobotomy so a death of sorts. it plays social media outrage well, but normally depends on small numbers with extreme views.

it was some kind of lobotomy so a death of sorts. it plays social media outrage well, but normally depends on small numbers with extreme views.

particularly relevant here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Very unsatisfying episode, like all of them so far in my opinion. Yet again, the awful attempts at comedy and mostly terrible cast continue to take any joy out of it for me. Just when I find something to like about an episode, they drop some crap joke that ruins it. It's hard to take their social commentary seriously when the humour fails to land as often as this does.

• Advertisement

gloobag wrote: »
    Very unsatisfying episode, like all of them so far in my opinion. Yet again, the awful attempts at comedy and mostly terrible cast continue to take any joy out of it for me. Just when I find something to like about an episode, they drop some crap joke that ruins it. It's hard to take their social commentary seriously when the humour fails to land as often as this does.

if ye feel that way after 7 episodes, might be time to watch something else instead

Advertisement