Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Well hasnt this been a really pleasant discovery, I never thought I'd say this as am not a star trek fan but show is really good, funny in the right spots, effects pretty good for the most part and story line moves at a great pace...
    recent episode....You knee is dislocated I must repair it....lots of chuckles

And thats from someone who hasnt chuckled in a long time at anything on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really enjoyed this week's episode.The humour worked. Guest star was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep, enjoyed this one as well. Definitely a lot lighter than recent episodes but that's not a bad thing - plus
    the possible consequences for Ed and Kelly of it turning out that Darulio was likely in "heat" when he and Kelly hooked up a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

thought it was one of the weaker episodes so far but i still lol'd at the gags, the two warring alien species makeup was really well done though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Seth MacFarlane's The Orville season 1 is going to be cut short
    Only by one episode, though.
    However, it seems that not all of the 13-episode first season will be broadcast this year, as it is now being reported that the show will be losing the season one finale.

According to TV Guide, the current season will finish on Thursday, December 7 after 12 episodes – but, don't worry, the original finale won't become a lost episode.

Instead, it is being reported that the 13th episode will now air as part of the second season, likely to drop around September 2018.

Someone re-post this on the TV forum thread, why we need two threads is another thing.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    Seth MacFarlane's The Orville season 1 is going to be cut short
    Only by one episode, though.

Someone re-post this on the TV forum thread, why we need two threads is another thing.

Why?
    Because it's not Trek and people won't expect to find it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Latest episode was pretty good. I actually thought it was one of the strongest scifi episodes I'd seen in a while........right up until the last 5 mins. I thought the episode would have been much stronger if there was
    an evil or even mischievous entity at play rather that the old "it's all a simulation" gag

pah wrote: »
    I thought the episode would have been much stronger if there was
    an evil or even mischievous entity at play rather that the old "it's all a simulation" gag

I think that worked okay. I appreciated the character building of it and the nice "everybody has flaws" message to wrap things up.

Good episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

pah wrote: »
    Latest episode was pretty good. I actually thought it was one of the strongest scifi episodes I'd seen in a while........right up until the last 5 mins. I thought the episode would have been much stronger if there was

I was thinking the exact same. Almost forgot I was watching The Orville until that reveal. Still a decent episode, but it cut a lot of weight loose with that revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It was very similar to the STNG episode were they traveled so far their thoughts began to manifest.
    I like the use of humour now. Even in a darker story the odd quip in nicely placed. Nice to see the Doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't know how Bortus keeps a straight face

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not crazy on Alara-heavy episodes. She's just such a terrible actress; real model-turned-actress overacting going on. Really breaks you out of it.

I hate being so critical, but I think the episodes do well in spite of her. Her strength is useful plot device, but as a character she adds nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not crazy on Alara-heavy episodes. She's just such a terrible actress; real model-turned-actress overacting going on. Really breaks you out of it.

I hate being so critical, but I think the episodes do well in spite of her. Her strength is useful plot device, but as a character she adds nothing.

Ah she's not the worst. She's playing an early 20s character finding her feet, so she comes across as anxious I guess.

She really reminds me of a good few characters from TNG to be fair. So, keeping with the original I guess.

Love the show. How are the ratings in the US? People watching it now?

I've been thinking about Orville and I really just wish it could become its own thing and stand on its own feet. I really feel like it can't; each decent episode is heralded as being "Star Trek like". And I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.

I kinda like Star Trek like :)

Although I do agree really. Can't shake the feeling that they won't be getting away with this forever. Have they been confirmed for a second season yet? And is there a mid-season break coming up for Orville or anything like that?

// Edit:: It has been renewed for a second season. No lengthy mid-season break but there is no episode this week (Thanksgiving, I suppose) and only two more remaining in the season, which is 12 episodes total.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Goodshape wrote: »
    // Edit:: It has been renewed for a second season. No lengthy mid-season break but there is no episode this week (Thanksgiving, I suppose) and only two more remaining in the season, which is 12 episodes total.
    AMKC wrote: »
    I see it has been renewed by Fox for a second season.

We have only six episodes left to watch of this season.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-orville-renewed-for-season-2-fox-seth-macfarlane-1202200369/
    corkie wrote: »

..... :)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Although I do agree really. Can't shake the feeling that they won't be getting away with this forever. Have they been confirmed for a second season yet? And is there a mid-season break coming up for Orville or anything like that?

The issue is that it has no defining characteristics of its own. It's just Star Trek... with jokes. That's it. I can imagine that only being fun for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I can imagine that only being fun for so long.

Star Trek without jokes seems to have done alright.

The issue is that it has no defining characteristics of its own. It's just Star Trek... with jokes. That's it. I can imagine that only being fun for so long.

Nah I can see it being the overt social commentary show which TNG often was.

It works because it's so light hearted, but it is better when lighthearted instead of moronic actions/jokes. Agree with you in that when it's like that it can get a bit thin.

Still think that all the "it's the real Trek show" proponents would absolutely rip it to shreds if it did have Star Trek in the title

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted that there is no episode this week otherwise I would be two behind as still have last weeks episode to watch. Not having access to the net for a week did not help.
    Nah I can see it being the overt social commentary show which TNG often was.

It works because it's so light hearted, but it is better when lighthearted instead of moronic actions/jokes. Agree with you in that when it's like that it can get a bit thin.

Still think that all the "it's the real Trek show" proponents would absolutely rip it to shreds if it did have Star Trek in the title

If it was Star Trek I would not have a problem with it but the jokes would have to go. So it would basically be TNG but on a different ship and a in a different century.

So just watched last weeks episode. Have to say it was very good and I think Alara is a good character. Sure the end could maybe have been done different but I did not mind it. There is a message in it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

30 minutes talk with Seth MacFarlane and a handful of writers and crew. Published a couple of weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/7N54eNGRDH8

It's a pretty good discussion! It's reassuring that they seem to enjoy it, and get the appeal it has. I hadn't actually realised there was model work on the show! Although to be honest it finally does seem a bit unnecessary. CGI people are troublesome. I think we can handle spaceships.

Great too to hear Seth talk about tone at the end. A little less comedy would be welcomed. They can handle the sci fi and drama well enough.

Episode 12 – Mad Idolatry, maybe the best yet! Really enjoyed it. Great story, good character development, the cast seem comfortable in their roles now, and they've got the mix of drama and comedy working well.

Pity there's only one more episode this season!

// Edit: Oh no! That was the last one this season :(. Well, it was a good episode – not much of a 'season final' vibe to it though, unfortunately. I look forward to season two!

// Edit: Oh no! That was the last one this season :(. Well, it was a good episode – not much of a 'season final' vibe to it though, unfortunately. I look forward to season two!

There was a 13th, but for some reason have moved that to season two. No, I've no idea why either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Its ultimately a dull series. At first I enjoyed the Star trek light vibe but could not be arsed watching anymore. Writing is dull -they could have poked fun at ST PC vibe but instead gags are very cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I enjoyed it, was far better than I thought it might be.

Roll on season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I enjoyed it, was far better than I thought it might be.

Roll on season 2

thought so too, they tackled some tricky subjects and i reckon it's proved itself as a sci-fi drama rather than sci-fi comedy
    Pleasantly surprised by it.

Very enjoyable episode. Great opening sequence, and you see they can go where the fans would explode if they had done with ST i.e. Dianna Troy with tunic open in the middle.

And good sci-fi story line, if a bit predictable.

I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Its ultimately a dull series. At first I enjoyed the Star trek light vibe but could not be arsed watching anymore. Writing is dull -they could have poked fun at ST PC vibe but instead gags are very cheap.

Because as it turns out, it's not a parody or spoof - it uses the TNG "feel" as a starting point but it's since matured into it's own thing.

It's still a bit rough but it definitely deserves its second season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Because as it turns out, it's not a parody or spoof - it uses the TNG "feel" as a starting point but it's since matured into it's own thing.

It's still a bit rough but it definitely deserves its second season.

Really? Its quite poor but so is a lot of TV. It doesnt make me laugh out loud nor does it intrigue me? Surely, its meant to do one or the other? Obviously if you want to fill out existence it passes the time but there is a ton of better TV out there. It reminds me of Flash gordon of the 1940s!

• Advertisement

Really? Its quite poor but so is a lot of TV. It doesnt make me laugh out loud nor does it intrigue me? Surely, its meant to do one or the other. Obviously if you want to fill out existence it passes the time but there is a ton of better TV out there. It reminds me of Flash gordon of the 1940s!

In your humble opinion of course :o

Advertisement