Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

if ye feel that way after 7 episodes, might be time to watch something else instead

Couldn't the same be said for all of those bitching about every episode of Discovery? Apparently, you're allowed to continue watching a Star Trek show while actively hating on it.

The problem is, there are things to like about The Orville, which makes it all the more frustrating to watch and fools you into thinking that maybe the next episode will hit the right balance, or the cast will start to settle into their roles.

I'll keep giving it a chance, and bitch about it when it ****s the bed, and I won't apologise for that.

gloobag wrote: »
    Couldn't the same be said for all of those bitching about every episode of Discovery? Apparently, you're allowed to continue watching a Star Trek show while actively hating on it.

The problem is, there are things to like about The Orville, which makes it all the more frustrating to watch and fools you into thinking that maybe the next episode will hit the right balance, or the cast will start to settle into their roles.

I'll keep giving it a chance, and bitch about it when it ****s the bed, and I won't apologise for that.

Except you're bitching about the entire premise while others are discussing individual episodes. It's also just as bad as people lashing Discovery each week for the same small things

Except you're bitching about the entire premise while others are discussing individual episodes. It's also just as bad as people lashing Discovery each week for the same small things

I bitched about the execution of the premise. Not the premise itself, which I have no problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to say that was a very enjoyable but strange episode. When it started I thought a mistake had been made and something else had started lol but then the introduction came on and I knew it was the Orville. I can,t believe that some people don,t find it funny. I found it very funny. I also love how the shuttle could [/SPOILER]cloak[/SPOILER] I wonder can the ship do it too. I thought it ways a great way of showing how that kind of ruling system would not work.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I bitched about the execution of the premise. Not the premise itself, which I have no problem with.

Whereas with Discovery, it's the other way around for a lot of fans - myself included.

Watched this week's Orville last night and really enjoyed it for the most part although I felt the last scene was a bit rushed, and LeMarr doing something so stupid in the first place during an undercover mission on a new alien world was poor and unnecessary given how (for example) Alara almost ended up in the same situation later on because of a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

if you mean me specifically, i gave up after the forth or fifth episode of STD for pretty much the same kind of reasons you're ragging on The Orville for right now. Tbh, i even mentioned that in one of the episode threads. If that's not what ye mean, i don't get why you're still watching and expecting something different in the show you apparently love to hate watching :D

In any case, i'm not dictating discussion terms, i merely gave some advice based on your input.

Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Whereas with Discovery, it's the other way around for a lot of fans - myself included.

Watched this week's Orville last night and really enjoyed it for the most part although I felt the last scene was a bit rushed, and LeMarr doing something so stupid in the first place during an undercover mission on a new alien world was poor and unnecessary given how (for example) Alara almost ended up in the same situation later on because of a hat.

I agree with you on the last scene I also thought it was rushed. I think what they were trying to show is that it did not matter if it was something really offensive and stupid like what LeMarr did or something very simple like the hat that Alara was wearing with the system of rule that the world they were on had you could very easily find yourself in trouble and on the way to becoming lobotomised if you can,t stop your votes going up .
    I also thought the reveal of Alara as an alien to the cafe worker was quiet predictable.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

The Orville: UK air date for Seth MacFarlane sci-fi
    It's official: The Orville will land on FOX here in the UK on Thursday the 14th of December...
    Family Guy and American Dad fans awaiting the UK launch of Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek spoof The Orville will have to wait a little longer. The space-set comedy won't arrive on these shores until Thursday the 14th of December.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

if you mean me specifically, i gave up after the forth or fifth episode of STD for pretty much the same kind of reasons you're ragging on The Orville for right now. Tbh, i even mentioned that in one of the episode threads. If that's not what ye mean, i don't get why you're still watching and expecting something different in the show you apparently love to hate watching :D

In any case, i'm not dictating discussion terms, i merely gave some advice based on your input.

No, I was not referring to anyone in particular. I was referring to those Star Trek fans who seem intent on complaining about anything that does not adhere to their fan fiction dreams of what Star Trek "should" be. But that criticism is totally valid. Just as my criticism of The Orville is.

Although I will say that there seems to be a subset of Star Trek "fans" who seem intent on liking The Orville simply to spite Discovery, I'm guessing because it won't fulfill their post Nemesis wet dreams.

As for me continuing to watch The Orville, that's my choice and it's no less valid a choice as someone who thoroughly enjoys the show deciding to continue watching. I am rooting for the show, it's just that it has, thus far, failed to meet the standard that I would expect from a modern Scifi show, and vastly fails to meet the standard I would expect of a comedy from the mind of Seth McFarlane.

That being said, I gave multiple Star Trek shows many more chances than I have yet to give The Orville, and that ultimately paid off. So, I will continue watching, and criticising if the fancy takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They lost me on the Krill episode but the most recent one, on the earth-like planet, was pretty good. Really can't stand that wise-cracking idiotic crew member though. Not even sure what his job is? The black guy who got arrested. No character should have that little amount of cop-on.

But otherwise a good take on the internet-memes-destroy-the-world trope.

• Advertisement

No, I was not referring to anyone in particular. I was referring to those Star Trek fans who seem intent on complaining about anything that does not adhere to their fan fiction dreams of what Star Trek "should" be. But that criticism is totally valid. Just as my criticism of The Orville is.

Although I will say that there seems to be a subset of Star Trek "fans" who seem intent on liking The Orville simply to spite Discovery, I'm guessing because it won't fulfill their post Nemesis wet dreams.

As for me continuing to watch The Orville, that's my choice and it's no less valid a choice as someone who thoroughly enjoys the show deciding to continue watching. I am rooting for the show, it's just that it has, thus far, failed to meet the standard that I would expect from a modern Scifi show, and vastly fails to meet the standard I would expect of a comedy from the mind of Seth McFarlane.

That being said, I gave multiple Star Trek shows many more chances than I have yet to give The Orville, and that ultimately paid off. So, I will continue watching, and criticising if the fancy takes me.

fair enough, each to their own i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

AMKC wrote: »
    I agree with you on the last scene I also thought it was rushed. I think what they were trying to show is that it did not matter if it was something really offensive and stupid like what LeMarr did or something very simple like the hat that Alara was wearing with the system of rule that the world they were on had you could very easily find yourself in trouble and on the way to becoming lobotomised if you can,t stop your votes going up .
    I also thought the reveal of Alara as an alien to the cafe worker was quiet predictable.

I can see how the reaction Alara provoked was to show you could get downvoted for just an innocent faux pas. But the writers established that with the reveal of what the two union anthropologists had done on the public transport so it made Alara's situation a bit redundant. Having said that LeMarr's actions were infuriating. Even without the context of the up/down votes the team were still on an undercover mission and he acted like he didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I do agree that what LeMarr did was a bit ridiculous. Imagine you've been parachuted in on a covert rescue mission to a foreign country that you know basically nothing about. Even the stupidest individual isn't going to start performing in the street and making a scene.

Yes, the intention was to show that in an absolute democracy, small infractions would be punished just as badly as big ones. But they could have gone for something more innocuous, a bit like the Star Trek episode where Wesley is sentenced to death. Say LeMarr is having the exact same conversation, but walking backwards, and knocks over the statue or something and then makes a balls of trying to put it back up.

But I guess the show is supposed to be a little "whacky".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Where are you all watching this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Probably p1rat3d since it has not aired in the UK!
    corkie wrote: »
    The Orville: UK air date for Seth MacFarlane sci-fi
    It's official: The Orville will land on FOX here in the UK on Thursday the 14th of December...

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a second season by Fox.

Ms

I see it has been renewed by Fox for a second season.

We have only six episodes left to watch of this season.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-orville-renewed-for-season-2-fox-seth-macfarlane-1202200369/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Renewed for a second season by Fox.

Brilliant news, really enjoying the 'stupidness' of the Orville. It seems to get better each week.
    Just can't get into Discovery at all.

Ms

Check your messages.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Brilliant news, really enjoying the 'stupidness' of the Orville. It seems to get better each week.
    Just can't get into Discovery at all.

same myself sadly, but yeah, happy to hear this is getting a second season too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Pretty much binge watched the first 8 episodes. Really enjoying it, also liking STD. Maybe I'm easy :pac:

At first I wondered if the AI actually was the same actor as DATA, their speech patterns and inflections seem very alike. This cannot be a coincidence.

Some of the pro critics said it was not original enough. I thought the story lines could have easily fitted into TOS or other shows (with tweaks obviously), but were different in their story line.

The show seems a little amateurish at times, but look back at TOS and that had similar issues.

Up voted by me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That one was good.

Back on Message!

Kasidy Yates for Captain! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Isaac is likable, his sorting out of the gameboy problem was funny.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ms

I really enjoyed that episode well except for the beginning with the two boys arguing that was annoying.

It as not overdone with humour it just had a little bit and it was a bit tense in parts too.

I thought both Isaac and the Doctor done great in that episode.

Isaac for captain lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    with the two boys arguing that was annoying.

I think that's what they were going for ;)

"Now entering Gloryhole" lmfao

Ms

"Now entering Gloryhole" lmfao

Ye that part was funny alright :D

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Funny episode. And Seth acted well, this may be down to him being able to live out a boyhood mancrush on Lowe.

The episode got slatted on Geek.com, but think they were being oversensitive (and have their own issues). Okay, it was back to the jokey side of things after a couple of Star Trek light episodes, but I found it enjoyable.

Ms

I also thought that episode was enjoyable and funny.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Im in Two minds about this Series . Have watched about four episodes. Its Star Trek Very lite but is a nice counterpoint to the Bleakness of much Sci Fi. Its more Trek like than Discovery if that makes any sense

Advertisement