Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

was erupting yesterday and not today??

http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Su Campu wrote: »

what website did you get this from?? please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yrag2E wrote: »
    was erupting yesterday and not today??

http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

nope this says activity is getting worse http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/stodvaplott.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Looks very quiet according to this webcam. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Looks very quiet according to this webcam. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/

yes though the sky is very blue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

galwaybabe wrote: »

WTF? You can't even see it because it's in a cloud??

oh yay front mustve went through temps have dropped to 5c from 8c hopefully they keep dropping... yeah right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    what website did you get this from?? please

The link above is corrupted, this should work

http://www.swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/iceland/eyafallajokull_20100416-en.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

KLM doing another test flight at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Is that a surveillance plane in the latest picture or just a bird??!! (top left)

111132.jpg

Looks like that might have been a surveillance plane afterall. This guy took these photos from one in the area yesterday.

Sorry Superman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

11.05 Dutch airline KLM has said a test flight it carried out yesterday had revealed no engine damage or other problems from volcanic ash and it would run a further nine test flights.
    A spokesman said: "We have not found anything unusual and no irregularities, which indicates the atmosphere is clean and safe to fly.'

If these tests all turn out positive with no damage to planes could we see irish airspace re-opening ? aswell as other european countries ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im stuck in Dubai cos of this poxy ash cloud. The next avaialbe flight from the emirates is 11 days away. So we've booked ourselves onto an Air Arabia flight to Istanbul and from there we hope to make our way back across europe by trains/buses/hitchiking...or if the ash cloud lifts it will be much easier to get a flight to dublin from that part of europe than from the emirates.

Everyday checking back but its jut not getting better :mad:

Edit- thats good news from KLM, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

BmxNoob wrote: »
    11.05 Dutch airline KLM has said a test flight it carried out yesterday had revealed no engine damage or other problems from volcanic ash and it would run a further nine test flights.
    A spokesman said: "We have not found anything unusual and no irregularities, which indicates the atmosphere is clean and safe to fly.'

If these tests all turn out positive with no damage to planes could we see irish airspace re-opening ? aswell as other european countries ...

I wonder if they'd take the risk with passengers on board, especially after this - http://avherald.com/h?article=42a3d003&opt=0

You should read the discussion on airliners.net they are talking about it there.. they are saying the uk could be shut for over 1 week and apparently someone who is on there works for uk airline and says that particularly scottish airspace ( which means ni will probably be the same) will be affected and they should expect to not open for 1 week.. and nats are just releasing 12 hour reports not to cause caos.. go look

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

KLM doing another test flight at the moment

I see 3 more around frankfurt,
    a Model : Reims-Cessna - C172 - going east
    and a
    Model : Boeing - B767-330 (ER) going east now.

the klm one is nearly fully done a full trip around the coast of holland must be landing in Amsterdam soon.
    I looked up that klm plane this morning its last flight was to Tripoli in tounisia, I dont know alot about plans only took an interest the the last month, but to me it looks like a domestic flight as i found info that it did not fly since wed 14th april. but maybe they risking a boeing for testing. in finland they are using jets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The fact of the matter is that this occurred when a Boeing 747 attempted to fly through volcanic ash, and the incident was clearly linked to the presence of volcanic ash interrupting with the planes mechanics.

Sure, not every plane is going to loose functionality when flying through volcanic ash. However if volcanic ash is present then the chances of an air disaster are significantly increased.

One test flight is not exactly enough to warrant air-space reopening. You would need hundreds of test flights to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Image of webcam right now :rolleyes: looks strange :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

The fact of the matter is that this occurred when a Boeing 747 attempted to fly through volcanic ash, and the incident was clearly linked to the presence of volcanic ash interrupting with the planes mechanics.

Sure, not every plane is going to loose functionality when flying through volcanic ash. However if volcanic ash is present then the chances of an air disaster are significantly increased.

One test flight is not exactly enough to warrant air-space reopening. You would need hundreds of test flights to be honest.

after reading that i wouldn't fly anywhere at the mo :eek:

jambofc wrote: »
    after reading that i wouldn't fly anywhere at the mo :eek:

same :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Yeah, I thought that KLM spokesman was being slight premature saying the atmosphere was clear and safe to fly in after one test!

First, no one said every flight going up into an ash risk area would have problems. It's that the risk is higher - too high to be acceptable to most traffic control etc.

Second, ash moves around too. One plane might go up one way and be OK, a second might go up the same way and have difficulty just because of shifting ash concentrations etc.

I worry that certain airlines will be pushing to relax safety requirements in their impatience to get going again, of shifting standards the longer this goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Ok lets get things into perspective here!

We a have KLM doing test flights here along with some German airliner so far the are saying everything is OK, no problem, Its safe. Now we have situation rising were money is taking over from safety. Already we have seen what damage it has done to a Finnish fighter jet.

I was waiting for this day when the airlines took matters into there own hands and giving out false indications that everything is fine, Money, Money, Money.

In 1912 the people were told the Titanic was unsinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

hotwhiskey wrote: »

We a have KLM doing test flights here along with some German airliner so far the are saying everything is OK, no problem, Its safe. Now we have situation rising were money is taking over from safety. Already we have seen what damage it has done to a Finnish fighter jet.

I was waiting for this day when the airlines took matters into there own hands and giving out false indications that everything is fine, Money, Money, Money.

very good point made there.

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/ looks as if it's raining...hope the sister isn't after blowing :rolleyes: :eek:

Im stuck in Dubai cos of this poxy ash cloud. The next avaialbe flight from the emirates is 11 days away. So we've booked ourselves onto an Air Arabia flight to Istanbul and from there we hope to make our way back across europe by trains/buses/hitchiking...or if the ash cloud lifts it will be much easier to get a flight to dublin from that part of europe than from the emirates.

Everyday checking back but its jut not getting better :mad:

Edit- thats good news from KLM, fingers crossed.

I'll swap places with ya, I'm supposed to be going there tuesday!

Seriously though, sounds a nightmare, best of luck. Hopefully things are looking up with those test results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

all flights cancelled for tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

What are the effects of not having the airplane contrails? or will the general effect of the dust etc counteract any effects

During 911 the lack of contrails resulted in slightly warmer temperatures during the daytime and slightly colder temperatures at night in areas of heavy air traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

kevin12345 wrote: »
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/ looks as if it's raining...hope the sister isn't after blowing :rolleyes: :eek:

I think that camera is downwind of the volcano you can see ash falling on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

me hole would i be going up in the air on the word of safety from airlines losing millions a day. You could fly 100 planes through it and land 99 safely. But there's always the chance of that one plane that could be affected or hit a pocket of denser ash. Not worth the risk. I'm glad actually. No planes waking me up in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Really important question here: should I be hanging my clothes outside in the east :-):-)
    Above poster completely right on about klm. Money before safety, they blamed a computer in london for its theoretical forecast for airspaces being closed. It is shifting nature of ash clouds that makes it dangerous. Anyway they flew the tests at 5000ft and 7000ft, which isnt much help really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Supposed to be flying home next Saturday. Hope things clear up and flights can resume safely as soon as possible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

hotwhiskey wrote: »

Sorry for Off-Topic
    I remember reading an interview in TIME magazine some years ago with a former head of whatever the Air Safety organistion is in the states.She said that the airlines attitude to safety (and maintenance) after finding that many airlines with a large number of their fleet was that the cost of maintaining was far more expensive then if a plane went down. Say for instance the cost of yearly maintenance was $10million as oppossed to a flight going down being $5million*. She (If I remember correctly) resigned after she could not get any kind of change implemented
    *Those figures are nor the actual figures but used as an example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Im very worred as to what KLM are up to . . .
    KLM chief executive Peter Hartman, who was on board the plane, said there was "nothing unusual" about the flight.

"If the technical examination confirms this... we then hope to get permission as soon as possible to partially restart our operations," he added.

Volcanic ash spreads more travel misery across Europe

Seriously, after one test flight?! I know this is having a huge impact on airlines pockets, but more analyses should be done first - especially by non-corporate bodies such as Air Forces . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hoho - German airlines have been kicking up, questioning the accuracy of the ash advisories etc. etc.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE63H07L20100418?type=marketsNews

I can understand their frustration and questions about measurements etc. but I'm not sure they're the most independent people to provide them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Has anyone noticed a reaction to the ash? The WHO say reactions are itchy eyes, runny nose, sore throat. I've had all three since last Wednesday and thought it was hayfever although I've never had hayfever before. Would be really interested to know if anyone else has been suffering from the same?

M.Pool wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a reaction to the ash? The WHO say reactions are itchy eyes, runny nose, sore throat. I've had all three since last Wednesday and thought it was hayfever although I've never had hayfever before. Would be really interested to know if anyone else has been suffering from the same?

Touch of a sore throat myself. :rolleyes:

It isn't the ash anyway, there was none falling over Ireland on Wednesday as far as I am aware!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Exaggerate much? Maybe it's a touch of manflu. There's no ashfall over Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Am I correct in saying that all the test flights by carriers so far have occurred at relatively low altitudes? If so, what flights would possibly be given the green light to go ahead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looking at the latest webcam images it seems to have gone quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Confab wrote: »

There is ash fall over ireland. Go outside and look at the cars on your street. It started on friday night. :)

• Advertisement

...and Met Eireann are telling us that there is no ash falling here still. Maybe it is hayfever, maybe I'm allergic to the sunshine ;) just seems too much of a coincidence.

:D maybe womanflu!!!!!! Not given to exaggeration

yes there is ash, it was confirmed that ash fell over northern ireland anyway, why would they shut the airports otherwise in uk and ireland??? :rolleyes:

...and Met Eireann are telling us that there is no ash falling here still. Maybe it is hayfever, maybe I'm allergic to the sunshine ;) just seems too much of a coincidence.

Seeing as the eruption only started Wednesday afternoon and it took 24hrs for the first of the ash to reach anywhere near here, simple cause and effect would dictate that if you had the symptoms Wednesday then it's fairly definite that it's not the cause!

There's been dust on cars all week long, that's what happens when the ground is dry! I checked the car this morning for new dust and there was none

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

There's been no ash so far in my area of Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Seeing as the eruption only started

There's been dust on cars all week long, that's what happens when the ground is dry! I checked the car this morning for new dust and there was none

I think most of the experts agree that the dust visible on cars is indeed from the volcanic ash. Whether it's harmful or not is open to opinion but in such small quantities likely not.

Eyjafjallajokull started errupting over a week ago http://www.examiner.com/x-25803-Natural-Disasters-Examiner~y2010m3d27-Erupting-Iceland-volcano-imaged-by-NASA-satellite
    It just didn't make the news here until planes were grounded.

you can see through the cloud a bit now and it looks as though the volcano is still erupting.. http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Ok I am due to fly to Chicago on Friday morning with Aerl Lingus,

how do you rate the chances and what events need to occur for this to go ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

quite likely to be hayfever - tree pollen is out in force plus it's been dry and breezy weather.
    I'd also speculate that a lot of the dust on cars is most likely from the dry conditions on the roads the past week or 2.

Advertisement