Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

They say on their site you can apply for a full refund or rebook (though the statement doesn't say if a rebook incurs a charge or not).

However I'm sure small print applies as with all things ryanair...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

LookingFor wrote: »
    They say on their site you can apply for a full refund or rebook (though the statement doesn't say if a rebook incurs a charge or not).

However I'm sure small print applies as with all things ryanair...

Yeah and there doesn't seem to be any link to how to do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

On the Aer Lingus site there is no link either.

What you have to do is log into your booking and amend it.
    The amendment is then at no extra charge.

I would imagine that FR is similar.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

jprender wrote: »
    On the Aer Lingus site there is no link either.

What you have to do is log into your booking and amend it.
    The amendment is then at no extra charge.

I would imagine that FR is similar.

Both Irish airlines are giving full refunds to those whose flights were cancelled - British airlines are calling the volcano an act of God and are refusing to pay out according to the Irish Mail

Gerry Murphy said there was no possibility that the dust being reported round Ireland this morning was volcanic dust from Iceland and it was blowing away from Ireland.

Lol what is that lad on ? Hello?

My car was covered in grey splodges this morning that weren't there last night and I'd be confident [south wicklow] that it was volcanic dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Flight going from Glasgow to Reykjavik now -RadarVirtuel have put an ash layer on so you can see the exact dispersion of the ash

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ann_likes_cake

Both Irish airlines are giving full refunds to those whose flights were cancelled - British airlines are calling the volcano an act of God and are refusing to pay out according to the Irish Mail

Not true as far as I can see - British Airways website says:
    You may instead claim a refund for the unflown flights in your booking.

The refund will be credited to the original form of payment.
    BMI say:
    If your flight is cancelled you’re entitled to a full refund. If you choose to rebook you can do so within two weeks for travel within four weeks. Normal refund conditions apply.

Typical Daily Mail scaremongering.

Typical irish/british mail Bull.
    I know for a fact that BA have paid pax in LA who were unable to fly to London and have put them up in hotels.

Incidently Ryanair did that also for a flight yesterday that was diverted to madrid.
    BA,EI and most if not all airlines have a commercial policy in place and are allowing full refunds and free changes,which ever you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

the daily mail dosnt say that!:P

Gerry Murphy said there was no possibility that the dust being reported round Ireland this morning was volcanic dust from Iceland and it was blowing away from Ireland.

My car was covered in grey splodges this morning that weren't there last night and I'd be confident [south wicklow] that it was volcanic dust.

maybe your right the ash on them pictures is exactly the same as the dust on my mothers car and it wasn't there last night. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1266485/Iceland-volcano-Found-streets-Sheffield-volcanic-ash-falling-Britain.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Some nice vids on met.no

http://met.no/?module=Articles;action=Article.publicShow;ID=2877

Video is the DL file

"•Animasjon av spredningen fra utbruddet 14. april til beregnet spredning fram til 20. april NB! Legg til to timer på klokkeslettet øverst til venstre for å få norsk tid. (.mpg-fil på 2,4 MB) "

i used Bing translator to find this http://www.microsofttranslator.com/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We move to a northerly flow soon dont we? That'll be fun. Can we sell volcanic ash to the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

owenc wrote: »
    naw I canny because it's too dark and hazy I can only kintyre today!

What language do they speak in Norn Iron? Clearly not English.:rolleyes:

Graces7 wrote: »
    What language do they speak in Norn Iron? Clearly not English.:rolleyes:

Northern irish! :rolleyes: which is a form of english.. and you obsiously know that canny means cant because you live in donegal..:rolleyes: Just wondering but what language do they speak in Iron? I can speak whatever way i want, not the way you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

John Cleese took a taxi from Oslo to Brussels. Cost €3,800. Sometimes it's handy to be loaded :D

Sorry for o/t - just thought I'd share it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Seen this on the TWO forum earlier. Nice forecast animation.

iceland_plume_10_5km_hires.gif

there must be more flights flying than that radar shows because some that departed out of glasgow arnt on it... lets see if belfast one comes up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Someone asked why was there a Ryanair flight out of Dublin this evening, it was probably the Cork flight.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Someone asked why was there a Ryanair flight out of Dublin this evening, it was probably the Cork flight.

no theres a boy on airliners.net saying that they are taking all the ryanair planes upto prestwick because its the uk base or something and thats were they store the aircraft in things like this.. ones currently flying upto prestwick too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I actually called Met E this afternnon after reading what Gerry Murphy had siad and told them about the sparkly, scratch dirty dust on my car and the guy on the phone told me as far as Met E were concerned it was not volcanic dust! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I actually called Met E this afternnon after reading what Gerry Murphy had siad and told them about the sparkly, scratch dirty dust on my car and the guy on the phone told me as far as Met E were concerned it was not volcanic dust! :confused:

Hard one to say, but during east winds, when the air is anticyclonic and very dry, seeing dust particles on cars is not uncommon. I have seen it many's the time myself under similar conditions as today. I notice though that the dust haze remains quite high and not really visible on the surface which still has stark visibility.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I have seen dust and I have seen saharan sand but never dust that sparkles in the sun!

Just found this:
    The cars in those photos are similar to the way I found my car this morning (same amount and colour of dust).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PILOT

owenc wrote: »
    no theres a boy on airliners.net saying that they are taking all the ryanair planes upto prestwick because its the uk base or something and thats were they store the aircraft in things like this.. ones currently flying upto prestwick too.

Dublin has more than adequate parking for Ryanair and their B737's. That departure was either Dublin to cork or Kerry: both of which are routes operated by Ryanair, flying in only irish airspace so would have been able to fly this evening. Prestiwck would not be invloved as Dublin is Ryanair HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/
    Webcam shows a much more pronounced eruption taking place now - look now as lower cloud may block the view again.

Still looking like the winds are only going to get worse over the next 7 days, if the GFS is to be believed. A direct feed straight from Iceland to here, so if she's still erupting then planes will be sitting on tarmac, including my one to Dubai! :mad:

Only change on the horizon - so to speak - comes Friday when the southwesterlies start up again. This should replace our "ashmosphere" with our normal atmosphere and get things back on the road again....

I'm desperately hoping it stops erupting asap so I can get away Tuesday (it's all me me me!)

10042018_1612.gif

10042318_1612.gif

PILOT wrote: »
    Dublin has more than adequate parking for Ryanair and their B737's. That departure was either Dublin to cork or Kerry: both of which are routes operated by Ryanair, flying in only irish airspace so would have been able to fly this evening. Prestiwck would not be invloved as Dublin is Ryanair HQ.

What the heck are all the ryanair planes doing flying to prestwick out of the timetable for them?? They are obviously going to leave aircraft there.. read airliners.net

Right now.....

111027.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Su Campu wrote: »
    Still looking like the winds are only going to get worse over the next 7 days, if the GFS is to be believed. A direct feed straight from Iceland to here, so if she's still erupting then planes will be sitting on tarmac, including my one to Dubai! :mad:

Only change on the horizon - so to speak - comes Friday when the southwesterlies start up again. This should replace our "ashmosphere" with our normal atmosphere and get things back on the road again....

I'm desperately hoping it stops erupting asap so I can get away Tuesday (it's all me me me!)

10042018_1612.gif

10042318_1612.gif

Yeah its all about you, we want our volcanic ash :p

Some free fertilizer for the fields :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

rc28 wrote: »
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-thorolfsfelli/
    Webcam shows a much more pronounced eruption taking place now - look now as lower cloud may block the view again.

Another good webcam here - the bottom image is more interesting if that low cloud clears:
    http://www.vodafone.is/eldgos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Eyjafjallajökull is looking very active now...

Advertisement