Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good chance it will go if the plane is in Dublin by tonight. Pack the bag and watch the wirline website anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭pauldry

alibabba wrote: »
    link broken (or ash has gotten to it)

Ash hasnt reached my PC yet coz it still works here (im using IE Browser)

WOman on Ray Darcy from Iceland says spewing ash will last 2 years or did I hear right? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pauldry wrote: »
    Ash hasnt reached my PC yet coz it still works here (im using IE Browser)

WOman on Ray Darcy from Iceland says spewing ash will last 2 years or did I hear right? :eek:

The last time it erupted, it went on/off for about 2 years. That doesn't mean that will happen this time though. The worrying thing is that each time this volcano erupted in the past thousand years it set off a much larger eruption nearby each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kao123 wrote: »
    All flights cancelled from Schiphol, and in UK as well, I am suppoed to be flying from Amsterdam today at 16:30 to Heathrow then Heathrow to Shannon, that is most definetley not going to happen, looks like it's a ferry to the UK then ferry to Ireland.... unless someone knows anyone here in Amsterdam with a hovercraft I could borrow !
    planes and hovercraft aren't the only way to get your feet off the ground in Amsterdam! :D
    Fizman wrote: »
    Looks like my week in the sun is down the swanny. Dublin to Fuerteventura tomorrow morning at 7:20. Fantastic.
    not necessarily, i'm waiting on word of a friend coming from Tenerife to Dublin (was supposed to be yesterday at 4:15pm) and they have her down as landing at 3:10pm today at the moment and she's waiting to board now, although there's still no confirmation of the flight actually being allowed to take off yet.

we're waiting for a callback from aerlingus any time now to confirm the status of the flight, so fingers crossed if she can get from there to here, you might still be able to get from here to the canaries.

i'll keep you posted. :)

pauldry wrote: »

You probably heard right but from stupid people :D

It could last two years but it is _unlikely_ to vent at current rates for more than 2 weeks and then settle down to something small scale and localised.

The infamous Pompeii eruption lasted less than a day. Then the pyroclastic phase came at the very end when the 10 mile high ash column collapsed because it was no longer being fed from below.

The Mount St Helens ash spew really lasted only 10 hours and reached 15 miles up. And yet it fell over a fifth of the US. There was a lateral explosion too but that fell locally. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1980_Mount_st_helens_ash_distribution.svg

• Advertisement

looks like they've lifted the ban on flights here, but if they don't have anywhere to go there's not much point. :(

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=93&n=96&a=862
    The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has announced that as a result of the ash cloud continuing to move away from the South East of Ireland, it is lifting restrictions within Irish airspace except for a block off the south coast of Ireland. This effectively means that Dublin Shannon and Cork Airports will be open for flights

Donie Money , IAA Director Operationss warned. "While our State airports have had the restriction lifted, the situation is still very serious throughout Europe. The majority of airspace and airports in the UK, France and Germany continue to have restrictions in place. The weather maps show the volcanic ash cloud hanging over England and Wales and most of mainland Europe. So there will continue to be restrictions in those countries for at least the next 24 hours. This will mean that there will continue to be serious disruption for east bound and south bound traffic out of Irish airports"

"We are concerned that the volcano continues to be very active and we cannot rule out further restrictions if the weather patterns change and the ash cloud returns to Ireland," he warned. Safety will always be our first concern.

Passengers should keep in touch with their airlines on a regular basis for updates.

The IAA will provide an update after 14.00 on Friday, 16th April 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

In fairness to her she had nothing to do with it on a technical level. she was from the tourist office.

it seems pretty obvious from the pic in this article that all this has happened because we have somehow angered the great volcano gods and we must offer a sacrifice to appease them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1266432/Iceland-volcano-flights-grounded-1am.html

article-1266300-09283406000005DC-709_634x484.jpg

where's Tom Hanks when you really need him? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    500Hpa GFS 00z run is showing the airflow heading roughly Iceland - North Sea - North and Middle Europe for the next week...sometimes over Scotland sometimes not and Ireland clear of it.

What did the airflow look like on Thursday? It might be useful to compare.

Looking at the animation of the airflow model in the next 48 hours I'd say it's pretty dicey for us if the volcano is still erupting, from Sat night into Sunday.

GENEVA -- The World Health Organization says Europeans should try to stay indoors if ash from Iceland's volcano starts raining down from the sky.

WHO spokesman David Epstein says the agency doesn't know the exact health risks from the ash cloud.

But he says the microscopic ash is potentially dangerous for people if it starts to "settle" on the earth because inhaled particles can reach the lungs and cause respiratory problems. There is a heightened danger for those suffering from asthma and respiratory diseases.

Epstein said the cloud mostly remained high in the atmosphere on Friday but the U.N. health agency was monitoring the situation closely. Some ash blanketed the ground in parts of rural southern Iceland.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/16/AR2010041601261.html

• Advertisement

nice pic here of cloud
    _47652360_ash.jpg

WHO spokesman David Epstein says the agency doesn't know the exact health risks from the ash cloud.
    what happened to Roger Daltrey? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

John mac wrote: »
    nice pic here of cloud
    where is the ash? the yellowy bit above scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Does anybody know whether or not Met or any other body would be looking into the changes in weather today given the lack of contrails in the skies?

They did in the US during 9/11 when flights were grounded
    Are you saying the planes in the sky change the weather?

Just seen 3 contrails here in donegal (didnt know thats what they were called) heading for america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Pangea wrote: »

Just seen 3 contrails here in donegal (didnt know thats what they were called) heading for america

There was a sudden drop in tempeture when the skys were clear of all air traffic during 9/11.

where is the ash? the yellowy bit above scotland?

Yeah, that's the main track of the dust plume. We're not really anywhere near it, but the circulation of air around kicked up dust in proximity to it, over the UK and over the irish sea.

It makes me wonder what happens both to that plume and to new ash if the wind changes as forecast Saturday night. It seems to me, but I'm just a lay person, that if those forecasts panned out there's a high chance that main plume would get pushed down and spread out over most of the british isles. We'd be in much closer proximity to main flow of ash than we were on Thursday.

Anyone have a more informed opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That photo was for yesterday. Here's the latest Hi Res Visible, showing some ash to the east of Scotland and also between England and Belgium. Notice you can also make out those contrails north of Donegal, they would appear to be heading into Belfast.

image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201004161300&sat=

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pangea wrote: »

Yeah, contrails sometimes develop into cirrus clouds which can have a warming effect

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/apr/HQ_04140_clouds_climate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Fizman wrote: »
    Looks like my week in the sun is down the swanny. Dublin to Fuerteventura tomorrow morning at 7:20. Fantastic.
    sorry mate, looks like her flight has been put back till tomorrow morning. not sure what that means for you, but i'd keep my bags packed us in case anything changes, they seem to change their mind almost every hour or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Actually looking at the sat animation it seems those planes are heading west, so probably the ones that left Dublin for New York and Boston around 11

one went to chicago just now, be over Galway any minute :)

Latest:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271417376.png

I think Cork flights will probably be grounded again. The IAA warned it might happen and these charts point in that direction too. Indeed these charts have the ash over more southern parts than they might have expected earlier.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

Just noticed there has been 4 small earthquakes detected at Eyjafjallajökull between 9 and 11 this morning. Thats more seismic activity for that region in a couple of hours than there has been in the past couple of days.

Could that be significant?

Also, here's the latest update from the Icelandic Met Office :

Ongoing eruption

The plume from the eruption in Eyjafjallajökull volcano is still ongoing, reaching hights of 4 to 5 kilometers, occasionally reaching higher altitudes.

The plume drifts with north-westerly winds reaching Europe. It has been detected over Norway, Sweden, northwestern Russia, northern Polland, northern Germany, northern France and southern UK .

There is no indication that the ash from the volcano is decreasing and it is predicted that high-level winds will stay north-westerly today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

Just noticed there has been 4 small earthquakes detected at Eyjafjallajökull between 9 and 11 this morning. Thats more seismic activity for that region in a couple of hours than there has been in the past couple of days.

Could that be significant?

Also, here's the latest update from the Icelandic Met Office :

Ongoing eruption

The plume from the eruption in Eyjafjallajökull volcano is still ongoing, reaching hights of 4 to 5 kilometers, occasionally reaching higher altitudes.

The plume drifts with north-westerly winds reaching Europe. It has been detected over Norway, Sweden, northwestern Russia, northern Polland, northern Germany, northern France and southern UK .

There is no indication that the ash from the volcano is decreasing and it is predicted that high-level winds will stay north-westerly today.

Maybe she is trying to wake up the big sister next door.

we can say goodbye to a decent summer if she is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Kippure wrote: »
    There was a sudden drop in tempeture when the skys were clear of all air traffic during 9/11.
    Just read about it, although i think it says its not a drop in temperture ,but an increase in temperture that happened during 9 11 ?

see bottom of page about 9 11
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrail

Yeah, contrails sometimes develop into cirrus clouds which can have a warming effect

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/apr/HQ_04140_clouds_climate.html
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

vibe666 wrote: »
    we can say goodbye to a decent summer if she is!

Shaddup! :mad: Still we might have some pretty sunsets...like that's any compensation. :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    one went to chicago just now, be over Galway any minute :)

That must be the one I saw (south of my position)
    the only one today , the con trail from it is still there.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Shaddup! :mad: Still we might have some pretty sunsets...like that's any compensation. :(
    :P

Advertisement