Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Oat23 wrote: »
    Settings > Display & Sound > Power Control

HDMI CEC is enabled perhaps?

You can also prevent the Shield from going to sleep which can be a pain sometimes if you're using it as a server(Plex) as you can get timed out connections as it tries to wake the server and then have to retry after having woken it.
    Its in under developer options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Lads sorry if shouldn't post this here but seeing as yous all have one no better place to ask right? Ha.

Bascially I'm in two minds weather to spend 200 euro on one these when I already have a htpc and 4k smart TV.

Is there any benefits to investing in a shield knowing what I currently have?

I want a smooth all in one source for netflix iptv and media in general. I also want to be able to use a VPN if needed.

I'm aware the shield can do this but if I already have a htpc is buying this a waste?

The gaming side of things isn't important as I have few different consoles.

Bascially I just want the most straightforward all in one way to get the most out of streaming and playback of media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lads sorry if shouldn't post this here but seeing as yous all have one no better place to ask right? Ha.

Bascially I'm in two minds weather to spend 200 euro on one these when I already have a htpc and 4k smart TV.

I want a smooth all in one source for netflix iptv and media in general. I also want to be able to use a VPN if needed.

I'm aware the shield can do this but if I already have a htpc is buying this a waste?

Bascially I just want the most straightforward all in one way to get the most out of streaming and playback of media.

I don't know the specs of your htpc or what software you're running on it, but the shield would be a good upgrade either way. It will run all of the stuff you say you want it for just as good if not better than the htpc and you also have native apps, voice control and so on. The experience would be smooth which is what you say you want.

Use the built in netflix app for 4K HDR.
    stbemu/perfect player for IPTV
    There are a couple of VPN companies with apps on the play store, if yours is not there you can sideload their android app quite easily.

Gaming: I sold my PS4 and just use gamestream & retrox now, so don't rule out the gaming aspect of the shield just because you have consoles :pac:

I don't know the specs of your htpc or what software you're running on it, but the shield would be a good upgrade either way. It will run all of the stuff you say you want it for just as good if not better than the htpc and you also have native apps, voice control and so on. The experience would be smooth which is what you say you want.

Use the built in netflix app for 4K HDR.
    stbemu/perfect player for IPTV
    There are a couple of VPN companies with apps on the play store, if yours is not there you can sideload their android app quite easily.

Gaming: I sold my PS4 and just use gamestream & retrox now, so don't rule out the gaming aspect of the shield just because you have consoles :pac:

I'm running amd 8 core processor forget the model. Windows 10.
    I've updated parts regularly enough over the years to point its more thrn enough for what I use it for.

I've a Samsung ks7000 someone mentioned to me the colour is actually better on the TV for netflix then would be on the shield based on theres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm running amd 8 core processor forget the model. Windows 10.
    I've updated parts regularly enough over the years to point its more thrn enough for what I use it for.

I've a Samsung ks7000 someone mentioned to me the colour is actually better on the TV for netflix then would be on the shield based on theres.

A HTPC with windows sounds frustrating to use. Do you have an air mouse or how do you control it? Which app are you using for IPTV?

Upgrading to the shield would make it a much more pleasant media viewing experience to be honest. If you buy it from Amazon, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund if you change your mind.

A HTPC with windows sounds frustrating to use. Do you have an air mouse or how do you control it? Which app are you using for IPTV?

Upgrading to the shield would make it a much more pleasant media viewing experience to be honest. If you buy it from Amazon, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund if you change your mind.

Keyboard and mouse ha. Always found it handy. Use TV for netflix so remote for that.

I'm using MyIPTV If I bought an android TV box I'd use the dedicated app for the provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

You've already started a separate thread on this and were given loads of information there, don't know why you're asking the same question again as you were given enough information from users to make your decision.... :confused:

BandMember wrote: »
    You've already started a separate thread on this and were given loads of information there, don't know why you're asking the same question again as you were given enough information from users to make your decision.... :confused:
    I wanted as much different views as possible. Basically cause the more people i talk to about all these box's im finding out different info. The internet has all kinds of conflicting views on products.

Anyway dont worry about it im done!

Thanks anyone who gave me advice/information.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was having a play with StbEMU last night and might give it a go, I notice that you can choose a few different options for the type of box to emulate, what would people recommend setting this to??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Clareman wrote: »
    I was having a play with StbEMU last night and might give it a go, I notice that you can choose a few different options for the type of box to emulate, what would people recommend setting this to??

MAG 250 or 254 were the original boxes emulated, they are the two i find most stable. But I have found some providers to work better with a different one.

Have you tried IPTV smarters? There are two versions. A handheld/touchscreen device version and a TV Box version, although i think it is just aesthetics that are the difference, both work on either platform.

It is nice, it might not be preferable over STBEmu but I know some people prefer it. I think the Box version is paid, or comes free with some resellers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm just playing to be honest, not into IPTV but I'm overdosing on GeNow so I'm trying different parts of the box now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Finally decided to take the plunge and get one but I've got a screen flicker from the bloody thing. Anyone else come across it? The only thing I can find is people saying to set the refresh rate to 59khz but I've done that and its still the same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭xlogo

JohnK wrote:
    Finally decided to take the plunge and get one but I've got a screen flicker from the bloody thing. Anyone else come across it? The only thing I can find is people saying to set the refresh rate to 59khz but I've done that and its still the same

Try swap out the hdmi cable or use a different hdmi port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

JohnK wrote: »
    Finally decided to take the plunge and get one but I've got a screen flicker from the bloody thing. Anyone else come across it? The only thing I can find is people saying to set the refresh rate to 59khz but I've done that and its still the same :(

Did you buy from Amazon?

As suggested try and swap out the HDMI cable first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

As suggested try and swap out the HDMI cable first

Bang on, AFAIK these boxes are fairly bulletproof

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I recall an Amazon Fire TV flickering because of the HDMI output type. Some TVs allow enable "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" on certain ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Shield experience upgrade 7.0.1 preview is currently installing on mine......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Shield experience upgrade 7.0.1 preview is currently installing on mine......

Same here

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Did you get a notification or how does it work ?

Yeah it was on the screen. You need to have signed up to the preview

• Advertisement

I'm liking it. Can reorder everything. Much easier to launch what you use most.

The only issue is we use multiple accounts on Plex and you don't get Plex stuff on the home screen unless it's set to sign into a profile automatically. This is a little annoying as you have to go into settings to turn off auto sign in, close the app and open it again to get to another profile then content apps appearing again. I'd like for it to show the content for the last user but ask for a pin to launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Mine's been downloading for over 50 minutes so far and it's only 1GB.

It doesn't take long to install, took longer to update the remote

Patww79 wrote: »
    Must be wherever they're hosting it as I'd no issues with anything else.

You mustn't have had auto download on which left it later and into heavier traffic, mine was there waiting to install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I've taken my Shield away on holiday to watch movies and TV series from an external USB drive if it rains.

I have access to a paid WiFi service which requires you to connect to the network and then launch a browser where you enter your login and password but with Android TV I don't have a browser so I'm unable to enter my credentials.

If I could solve this problem I'd have access to my IPTV subscription and be able to watch some of the World Cup but right now I've no TV whatsoever.

Any suggestions? I can't even side load a browser as to do that I need internet access :-(

Posting this from my phone BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Hi all,

I've taken my Shield away on holiday to watch movies and TV series from an external USB drive if it rains.

I have access to a paid WiFi service which requires you to connect to the network and then launch a browser where you enter your login and password but with Android TV I don't have a browser so I'm unable to enter my credentials.

If I could solve this problem I'd have access to my IPTV subscription and be able to watch some of the World Cup but right now I've no TV whatsoever.

Any suggestions? I can't even side load a browser as to do that I need internet access :-(

I know you say that you can't side load, but if you can figure out a way, maybe this? - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/cloudmosa-inc/puffin-tv-fast-web-browser-android-tv/puffin-tv-fast-web-browser-android-tv-7-0-6-18003-release/#downloads

Download the apk to your phone, transfer to the shield via bluetooth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

does your phone have a wi-fi sharing option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hi all,

Can't you use your phone as a hotspot?

I'd try sideloading a browser app on to something like Google drive and then access it via out.storwge on file.explorer..

Also, iirc file explorer itself has a browser option built in to it. Worth a try.

Hope that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

It should be possible to share your phones wifi connection with your shield over Bluetooth. It will slow, but should be enough to install the Chrome apk

Do you have ES File explorer installed?

You could download chrome with that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyxV5IJTg_4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

^^^^^

Great suggestions guys. This is my mission for today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just got home and Oreo update was waiting to download and install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Installed the Oreo update this morning, after dismissing it last night.
    For a 1gb download and update, I'd say it was done within 3 minutes. Very fast on the original Shield :)

Had a quick play about with it, but I'm liking the interface changes so far!!!

This update has broken 5.1 surround for me, I cannot get it to passthrough DTS to my receiver like I could before, it's now passing stereo. Anyone else have this issue?

There's an audio out setting that defaults to 2.0 and can be changed to 5.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Posted this on bargain alerts thread but may be useful here too:

FYI Oreo update may affect keyboard bluetooth pairing. If you are unable to pair your keyboard you must switch your language to US English. Support said they'll fix next release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

The GeForce Now service has been updated. You can now play your Steam or UPlay catalog of games on the Shield. It is in Beta at the moment but should be open to everyone.

Not sure about pricing now and I haven't tried it but did notice it was available last night for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The GeForce update isn't working for me yet. When I try open the app it tells me I need an update, but when it loads the Play store I've no update option.

So, I've managed to connect to Steam via GeForce, and I find that the on-screen keyboard for login doesn't have an underscore, "_", which I need to enter my account name. And guess what the keyboard on my old Minix airmouse doesn't have either! Flippin' stumped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

corwill wrote: »
    So, I've managed to connect to Steam via GeForce, and I find that the on-screen keyboard for login doesn't have an underscore, "_", which I need to enter my account name. And guess what the keyboard on my old Minix airmouse doesn't have either! Flippin' stumped!

I had the same issue. If you login to steam on your pc you can change your login and password to something without an underscore.

Any usb keyboard will work

Has anyone tried TVIRL (app) yet?

Wondering what it's like, going to try it on Monday.

Any usb keyboard will work

I'll borrow one from work on Monday. Some pain in the hoop, though, in a very, very minor way.

• Advertisement

Catmologen wrote: »
    I had the same issue. If you login to steam on your pc you can change your login and password to something without an underscore.

Can't change my account name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

corwill wrote: »

Try the other English keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Suckit wrote: »
    Has anyone tried TVIRL (app) yet?

Wondering what it's like, going to try it on Monday.

I did. It worked. Took ages to import channels. And I’m not sure if you can edit the list.

Give it a go and see.

nedd wrote: »
    I did. It worked. Took ages to import channels. And I’m not sure if you can edit the list.

Give it a go and see.

Will do, I heard it was good, but I won't be near Shield until tomorrow, and with me I have Ubuntu, so can't try it on that. I thought I saw a way to edit the list, but not sure, as obviously I can't check and I have only scanned through one video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement