Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Looks like a known bug in some controllers - https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/7ja7rg/shield_controller_driving_me_nuts/

for now I'll just try to remember to use the remote rather than the controller when using Kodi and hope it gets addressed in a future firmware update for the controller.

Have updatwd the controller FW?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

banie01 wrote: »
    Have updatwd the controller FW?

Yes, I think about 2 weeks ago but will check again.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Got my Shield this morning! Can't wait to get home and start tinkering with it:D

Have the shield up and running but plex doesn't see my content.

Plugged in an external drive, and a folder was created. I dropped all my content into this folder (think it was called NVIDIA_SHIELD) but plex still doesn't see it.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Have the shield up and running but plex doesn't see my content.

Plugged in an external drive, and a folder was created. I dropped all my content into this folder (think it was called NVIDIA_SHIELD) but plex still doesn't see it.

Any ideas?

Off the top of my head I think you have to go into settings in the Plex app and add the folders with content to your Library.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Using the web app now. Unfortunately it's dumped all my content from separate folders such as action, comedy etc all into one big folder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Thanks. Using the web app now. Unfortunately it's dumped all my content from separate folders such as action, comedy etc all into one big folder!

That's the way they should be

https://support.plex.tv/articles/categories/media-preparation/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

is anyone using the STBEmu for IPTV? Are you using the Nvidia remote? I'd love to be able to use it for Play/Pause and set up the Favourites, but it's really difficult because of the minimalist design. I don't have the game controller, so I assume my only other option is to use my phone or get another remote (e.g. Harmony = hub)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

chewed wrote: »
    is anyone using the STBEmu for IPTV? Are you using the Nvidia remote? I'd love to be able to use it for Play/Pause and set up the Favourites, but it's really difficult because of the minimalist design. I don't have the game controller, so I assume my only other option is to use my phone or get another remote (e.g. Harmony = hub)?

I'm able to use my TV remote for it, I'm assuming it's the hdmi-cec controlling it?

I'm able to use my TV remote for it, I'm assuming it's the hdmi-cec controlling it?

Is that something you've connected to the back? What remote can use with it? It would be nice to be able to use my old Sky+ remote.

• Advertisement

Is that something you've connected to the back? What remote can use with it? It would be nice to be able to use my old Sky+ remote.

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/

That explains it better than I ever could :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

CEC can sometimes cause more harm than good ,there are a lot of compatibility issues with devices etc.especially using CEC with different brands connected to each other

Remote control compatibility is the main reason I stuck with note 2015 units. They have a built in IR receiver and its compatible with Harmony.
    Not an issue if you use a logitech hub, but I use multiple shields and harmony remotes so I wanted to stay IR.
    As Clinton has pointed HDMI-CEC can have issues, especially if you are using an AV receiver.

I've never had an issue tbh but I'm only using it with my Philips ambilight and the shield.

When the harmony ultimate arrives on Thursday though, I'll most likely disable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I have the Harmony Elite remote and Hub I currently have everything going through a Denon AVR and have all CEC's on TV,Shield etc. disabled

I have the Harmony Ultimate remote and Hub I currently have everything going through a Denon AVR and have all CEC's on TV,Shield etc. disabled

Same here always disable it. TV and device manufactures call it different names, I'm sure LG call it Simplink

I have the Harmony Ultimate remote and Hub I currently have everything going through a Denon AVR and have all CEC's on TV,Shield etc. disabled

Do you need to have the hub? OR would the harmony remote on its own work with the Shield?

Do you need to have the hub? OR would the harmony remote on its own work with the Shield?

Only with the 2015 version as it has a built in IR receiver.
    The 2017 version doesn't have it built in, I think the new pro version might but not 100%.

It works with the shield through Bluetooth from the hub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I use the game controller for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

doylefe wrote: »
    Haven't tried this yet but looks like nice integration of IPTV directly into the built in "Live Channels" part of android.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/6rfcoe/how_to_use_tvirl_with_your_provider_iptv_into/

i have this but dont use it and just use perfect player.
    loads of potential but few issues such as cannot group your channels, all in one list, if the epg is missing the channel disappears from the channel listing and any changes to your channel are not auto loaded,, need to go to settings and refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wanted a remote with proper keyboard on it

Saw one on amazon for about 13Quid with hundreds of reviews for android boxes and raspberry Pi.

Anyone using any keyboard style small BT remotes ? how was your experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

ftm2008 wrote: »
    i have this but dont use it and just use perfect player.
    loads of potential but few issues such as cannot group your channels, all in one list, if the epg is missing the channel disappears from the channel listing and any changes to your channel are not auto loaded,, need to go to settings and refresh.

Find perfect player v good

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

listermint wrote: »
    Wanted a remote with proper keyboard on it

Saw one on amazon for about 13Quid with hundreds of reviews for android boxes and raspberry Pi.

Anyone using any keyboard style small BT remotes ? how was your experiences

I'm guessing you saw something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Multi-media-Keyboard-Raspberry-Layout-Black-Black/dp/B00DUUF250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520360777&sr=8-1&keywords=mouse+keyboard+android

I have one and it's not Bluetooth but some kind of 1900Mhz wireless frequency (comes with a usb dongle). the fact that you have to plug it in the back side of the Shield limits receptions somewhat.
    Also, beside the arrow keys, OK, Esc, Back and a few other keys, the mapping changes from app to app and is not always intuitive. On my Smart IPTV app for example R changers the audio and the + and - keys flip through channel lists
    I keep it on the coffee table in front of the TV but only use it when i need to enter text that is more that a few letter long (usually on Chrome, Apptoid or ES file xplorer if I'm searching for stuff)
    For everything else, there's Harmony (for me at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I got STBEmu working for IPTV last night. Seems good.

Is there any way to PVR (pause, rewind, record) IPTV streams?

Thanks

nedd wrote: »

Thanks

I have a Rii keyboard remote which works fine for the most part. THough whenever I try to Pause/Play a channel, it pauses, then when I click Play again it always seems to jump back to the start of the programme I'm watching. Not sure if this is how it should behave? I can't get it to resume or even rewind properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BandMember

Thanks

In a word, no.

And can we please ease up on the IPTV talk before the thread gets closed (as other similar ones did). Plenty of info easily available through a very quick Google search for anyone who needs it.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Hi guys have plex media server installed just now but won't see my nas. How do I add it in the app or do I need to use my computer. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi guys have plex media server installed just now but won't see my nas. How do I add it in the app or do I need to use my computer. Thanks

You have to configure folders that Plex will look at from your computer.

I think this will let you do it:

https://app.plex.tv/desktop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

You have to configure folders that Plex will look at from your computer.

I think this will let you do it:

https://app.plex.tv/desktop

I already have the plex server on my pc but want to run the server from my shield only.

Advertisement