Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

I already have the plex server on my pc but want to run the server from my shield only.

You'll find all the info you need and more on the Plex Nvidia Shield Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I already have the plex server on my pc but want to run the server from my shield only.

You need to set up a server within your shield so
    You need to make sure the server version you are using is the latest version also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

You need to make sure the server version you are using is the latest version also

Thanks guys got it sorted.very helpful thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Don't want to derail the tread so just going to ask one question ref Plex Server on the Shield.

I currently have a 2 TB NAS (pretty full) connected by Ethernet to a router, a family PC connected by Ethernet to the router and a Shield connected by Ethernet to the router.

ATM I am running Plex Server on the PC and the Plex Client on the Shield because I read somewhere that running Plex Server on the Shield uses up all the HDD on the Shield as it creates a huge folder of Thumbnails for the Plex content and can slow down the performance of the Shield.

The setup works fine but the PC isn't always on or my account has been logged out so I frequently have to go log in on the PC in order to use Plex on the Shield and this wouldn't be an issue if Plex Server was running on the Shield itself as it's pretty much always on.

Given the above as I better off sticking with my current setup and living with the fact I have to log into the PC from time to time if I want to use Plex on the Shield or should I just bite the bullet, set up a Plex Server on the Shield and forget about the server on the PC all together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Don't want to derail the tread so just going to ask one question ref Plex Server on the Shield.

I currently have a 2 TB NAS (pretty full) connected by Ethernet to a router, a family PC connected by Ethernet to the router and a Shield connected by Ethernet to the router.

ATM I am running Plex Server on the PC and the Plex Client on the Shield because I read somewhere that running Plex Server on the Shield uses up all the HDD on the Shield as it creates a huge folder of Thumbnails for the Plex content and can slow down the performance of the Shield.

The setup works fine but the PC isn't always on or my account has been logged out so I frequently have to go log in on the PC in order to use Plex on the Shield and this wouldn't be an issue if Plex Server was running on the Shield itself as it's pretty much always on.

Given the above as I better off sticking with my current setup and living with the fact I have to log into the PC from time to time if I want to use Plex on the Shield or should I just bite the bullet, set up a Plex Server on the Shield and forget about the server on the PC all together?

2TB isn't a huge library, you'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I had a Plex Server set up on a PC and the client on the shield when i initially got it but the PC struggled with trans-coding 4K (fan running excessivley etc.)
    I have 2TB of media also.
    Transferred all data to 2 USB3 HDD's and used a powered USB hub and connected to the shield via one port.
    Bought a 128 GB USB 3 Sandisk Flash Drive and plugged into other port on Shield,formatted this as internal storage and moved data across as it comes up as an option when first formatting.
    Set up server etc. then all worked perfect no stutter etc. with 4K and because i prevent the Shield from going to sleep(in developer settings menu) its good for accessing remotely when travelling etc.
    All additional metadata etc. is then put onto the USB flash drive
    DLNA allowed in Plex server set up too and allowed libraries to be shared which means that all devices i.e. phones etc can access the media
    As well as the Plex client installed on the shield I have put a Plex addon into kodi which allows me to stay within Kodi even to watch stuff within plex which is handy
    Also with regards the speed aspect you mentioned,I did have a HDD connected initially as internal memory but having swapped this for the USB flash drive it has solved any stutter or lag issues-The recommendation is to go USB flash for internal memory as opposed to an actual HDD and you should have no issues
    As mentioned in a previous post of mine,When you connect a HDD to the Shield it sets up a folder called "Nvidia Shield" within the HDD this then becomes the only folder you can write to within the HDD so i split this folder into 3-Movies/Photos/Music and have the shield mapped as a network drive on my PC so i can download to PC and transfer media to this folder or i can download directly into the subfolder of the "Nvidia Shield" folder
    The above set up has many advantages in my opinion and opens it up to various scenarios people may come across with moving files etc.
    Hope this helps

^^^ Massive help ClintonDaly, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I had a Plex Server set up on a PC and the client on the shield when i initially got it but the PC struggled with trans-coding 4K (fan running excessivley etc.)
    I have 2TB of media also.
    Transferred all data to 2 USB3 HDD's and used a powered USB hub and connected to the shield via one port.
    Bought a 128 GB USB 3 Sandisk Flash Drive and plugged into other port on Shield,formatted this as internal storage and moved data across as it comes up as an option when first formatting.
    Set up server etc. then all worked perfect no stutter etc. with 4K and because i prevent the Shield from going to sleep(in developer settings menu) its good for accessing remotely when travelling etc.
    All additional metadata etc. is then put onto the USB flash drive
    DLNA allowed in Plex server set up too and allowed libraries to be shared which means that all devices i.e. phones etc can access the media
    As well as the Plex client installed on the shield I have put a Plex addon into kodi which allows me to stay within Kodi even to watch stuff within plex which is handy
    Also with regards the speed aspect you mentioned,I did have a HDD connected initially as internal memory but having swapped this for the USB flash drive it has solved any stutter or lag issues-The recommendation is to go USB flash for internal memory as opposed to an actual HDD and you should have no issues
    As mentioned in a previous post of mine,When you connect a HDD to the Shield it sets up a folder called "Nvidia Shield" within the HDD this then becomes the only folder you can write to within the HDD so i split this folder into 3-Movies/Photos/Music and have the shield mapped as a network drive on my PC so i can download to PC and transfer media to this folder or i can download directly into the subfolder of the "Nvidia Shield" folder
    The above set up has many advantages in my opinion and opens it up to various scenarios people may come across with moving files etc.
    Hope this helps

The Plex metadata stays on the shield storage, it does not move to adopted storage. This is a known issue and is why people recommend the bigger Shield if running a Plex server with a big library

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

BandMember wrote: »
    nedd wrote: »
    I got STBEmu working for IPTV last night. Seems good.

Is there any way to PVR (pause, rewind, record) IPTV streams?

Thanks

In a word, no.

And can we please ease up on the IPTV talk before the thread gets closed (as other similar ones did). Plenty of info easily available through a very quick Google search for anyone who needs it.... ;)
    Pm people,PM each other ref iptv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-tv-oreo-update-nvidia-shield-tv-xiaomi-mi-box/

News about Oreo on the Shield. Even more interesting is that the Mi Box looks like it's getting Oreo too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

The Plex metadata stays on the shield storage, it does not move to adopted storage. This is a known issue and is why people recommend the bigger Shield if running a Plex server with a big library

I've a 2TB NAS library which I know isn't big relative to some but would it be big enough for the metadata to cause any performance problems on a 2017 regular (non Pro) Shield?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I've a 2TB NAS library which I know isn't big relative to some but would it be big enough for the metadata to cause any performance problems on a 2017 regular (non Pro) Shield?

I have more or less that same setup, 2TB Nas and 2017 Shield (non Pro).

Plex works like a dream, it does use internal storage but not enough to stop the shield.

I have a 220 SSD mounted as internal as well but this isn’t really used to be honest. Was thinking of games when I bought it but I use my PS4 for gaming.

heys guys had my plex server setup to find my nas with all my content and now it wont let me see anymore new stuff added.i had my network mapped to see evertyting on it but wont see or add anything to plex or add even a new folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

heys guys had my plex server setup to find my nas with all my content and now it wont let me see anymore new stuff added.i had my network mapped to see evertyting on it but wont see or add anything to plex or add even a new folder.

This should help
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/categories/media-preparation/

https://support.plex.tv/articles/categories/plex-media-server/#cat-nvidia-shield

Suckit wrote: »

i dont want the server on my computer.when i log on to plex ip stuff i can see my content but it wont see new stuff that i added or see my nas now

Maybe obvious but:
    Is it all named correctly? Are you on the latest version? Have you waited long enough for the content to appear?

For some reason mine wouldn't see my old Synology NAS new content, I never got to the bottom of it as i was passing it on to somebody anway.

Maybe obvious but:
    Is it all named correctly? Are you on the latest version? Have you waited long enough for the content to appear?

For some reason mine wouldn't see my old Synology NAS new content, I never got to the bottom of it as i was passing it on to somebody anway.

yea all named correctly.changed nothing at all seems very strange.ill get to the bottom of it later on

The Shield with Joypad and remote is currently €179 on amazon Italy.
    That is €190 to Ireland or €183 to PW/PM/AP
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01NBJ6KZY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The Shield with Joypad and remote is currently €179 on amazon Italy.
    That is €90 to Ireland or €183 to PW/PM/AP
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01NBJ6KZY

How do you mean €90 to Ireland?

It's coming up as currently not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

I'm having trouble adding my WD live HDD over the network. Tried adding it by exact name and IP just says not found.

Also not detecting my 2TB USB3 external toishba HDD. What format the disk need to be in?

Dectects a 16gb flash drive no problem in same slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

yea all named correctly.changed nothing at all seems very strange.ill get to the bottom of it later on

Again sorry if obvious: did you try "scan library files" command in the "..." contextual menu next to the library name?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    How do you mean €90 to Ireland?

It's coming up as currently not available

Sorry, meant €190 to Ireland. Probably sold out. No doubt they flew out. Every time they drop price i would imagine there are a lot of people waiting to pounce.
    I have been asked a few times if I see it drop would I tell them.

Edited - Still available here https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B01NBJ6KZY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Again sorry if obvious: did you try "scan library files" command in the "..." contextual menu next to the library name?

Ya sorted it cheers seems the ip address changed on my nas so have a fixed ip address now on it

I found auto scan of a mounted Nas didn’t work. I had to set a schedule to refresh every hour or so.

Sometimes if I download something i have to manually update the library.

nedd wrote: »
    I found auto scan of a mounted Nas didn’t work. I had to set a schedule to refresh every hour or so.

Sometimes if I download something i have to manually update the library.

Where do u auto update

I thought u cud do it on the shield itself to update library

You can manually update the library from the Plex Client on the Shield.

If you go to the Plex server settings you can set it to auto update library.

https://app.plex.tv/desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The sound levels on my Shield are all messed up. It was fine yesterday but this morning I have it at max volume and its only a whisper.
    Any settings that I can try changing or could it be the TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

yabadabado wrote: »
    The sound levels on my Shield are all messed up. It was fine yesterday but this morning I have it at max volume and its only a whisper.
    Any settings that I can try changing or could it be the TV?

Have you set the shield to pass audio control directly to the TV/Amp?
    If not it is really easy to hot the volume buttons on the control pad and not not notice.

Advertisement