Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

System slowing getting into high res territory now. EMHI 12z output suggests potential for a narrow zone of strong winds aligned with the actual approaching warm front:

Monday Noon:
    184613.png

Horizontal rain territory right there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The system just sits out to our west growing deeper and deeper! The west coast could have a long period of severe winds.

945mb at this point.

Overall similar path to the 6z with the centre staying to our north.

Winds gusting to 70 knots in place and widely gusts above 60 knots.

Rtavn661.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thursdays storm lookin like a bit of a monster

baraca wrote: »
    Thursdays storm lookin like a bit of a monster

Ye but it keeps getting shifted north run by run.

Absolute cane' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

On the 12z gfs, the strongest winds stay offshore then slam into Scotland.

(second system)

• Advertisement

GFS has 2nd potential storm depression down to 938hPa by Friday morn:

184617.PNG

Track very uncertain on this one, though almost a week away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The system just sits out to our west growing deeper and deeper! The west coast could have a long period of severe winds.

945mb at this point.

Overall similar path to the 6z with the centre staying to our north.

Winds gusting to 70 knots in place and widely gusts above 60 knots.

Rtavn661.png

interesting. if that chart verifies, this could turn out to be like the storm we had back in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry about the thread title confusion, I meant this thread needed a new title. I see there's a new thread now. Anyway, here's my take on the 12z GFS and what I saw from the GEM which is similar to 72h.

The solution for Monday-Tuesday looks plausible as analyzed above in the thread here. As seems to be the case quite often, the east and south may see their strongest winds in the warm frontal to occlusion stage late Monday or overnight. I think the potential for this to spin its wheels and unleash very strong winds on the west coast is the main story there. More or less into the countdown phase for this, although as a system it is barely in the infant stages now off Nova Scotia as a developing closed centre (about 1015 mbs at 16z) suspended from a trough in Quebec. By 12z Monday the regional GEM model (usually very accurate for North Atlantic) has it at 952 mbs near 57N 20W. That represents double bombogenesis next 48 hours with 5 mbs and 4 hours to spare.

As to storm number 2, count me among the skeptics on that evolution, a 930 mb low in outer Donegal Bay that raises a 40-knot wind at Belmullet? I don't think that's even possible in terrestrial physics. More likely this is a signal of a very powerful storm heading more towards the northwest coast of Ireland, not reaching the 930s but a more realistic prediction might be just clear of Belmullet at 948 mbs. We shall see ... looks to be cutting too far north for the uppers ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,486 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On the 12z gfs, the strongest winds stay offshore then slam into Scotland.

(second system)

Good enough for the Scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

As exciting as all this is,I expect a complete downgrade of both events. I understand many contributors put alot of time into analyzing the various models and do it very well but the predictions are 99% of the time way overboard. I would love to see a powerful windstorm next week but I refusing to allow myself to get excited about it. Both systems will track more to the north;yes we will have strong winds but nothing extraordinary for Ireland in a typical december. Example of hype... The storm on Thursday earlier this week.... no where near as strong as was being forecasted. The problem is the media trawl through weather related forums like this and pick up all the hype and print outlandish articles about killer storms etc. When they dont materialise the public grow weary....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

UKMO has both systems slamming into Ireland
    This thinking is also backed by the UK Met Office.

ECM will give clues later on but for now I think the Tuesday system shouldn't be taken as little brother. It looks very severe in it's own right and is much more in the reliable timeframe!

I would watch the UK Met for updates closely

UKMO 12z has Thursday's storm potential on a slightly more southerly track:

184622.gif
    and though way more conservative on the actual pressure values (around 960hPa) still looking fairly explosive if not to the same extent as the GFS.

12Z UKMO:

30acoap.gif

12Z GEM...

Tuesday :

etvcrd.gif

and then Thursday :

24o8xz8.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tuesday looks harmless enough to me, a stiff breeze and that is all. :D

111210_0000_84.png

Thursday looks the same, a ta stiffer on the Irish Sea maybe

111210_0000_144.png

ECMWF 12z beginning to roll out now. Please ECM, no more of those slack complexes over Ireland, I'll be your bestest fwend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'll call Tuesday Now. No weather station will break 70KT gusts and the top gust Tuesday will probably be in the 61KT-64KT range in Belmullet. A stiff breeze and that is that. :D

I'll call Thursday on Monday some time.

Some tweets from Ian Fergusson, BBC weather forecaster:
    Tues storm threatens severe gales here; gusts 60mph+, but the Thurs-Fri event offers even more concern if it stays as per models
    need to see continuity in forecast models to judge areas worst affected by high winds, but high confidence for the 2 storms.
    ECMWF prog for 00z Fri.... Troubling. Exact track will be critical... Don't take this latest run as done deal!

ECM is slightly delayed but still a fairly strong storm progged off the NW coast for Tuesday with very strong winds, 70-75 knots on exposed coasts and 60 knots inland.

12Z ECM at 72 hours is similar to GFS. A bit further south and west and just 5mb in the difference. If we had a 78 hour ECM frame it would probably be even closer to the GFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

12_72_mslp500.png?dt=10December%2020111814:29

it seems to me, and i could be wrong, tuesday's system could be notable for the duration of the wind, rather than the strength of the actual gusts.

for a biggie storm, you'd expect gusts of 60- 90mph(potentially even higher). i don't see that happening on Tuesday. The storm later in the week has that potential- again though it could easily not happen. it would be a major disappointment if we don't get one significant storm out of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

For Monday/Tuesdays event are we looking at winds similar to a few days ago for the west coast?
    I know Thursday is a good bit away so I wont mention that one.

edit: never mind, question answered above.

If we had a 78 hour ECM frame it would probably be even closer to the GFS.

meteo.si has ECMWF run (MSLP & cloud/rain) in 6hr increments out to 3 days.

Meteo.si

Hasn't updated yet to 12z run but tends to update to latest run more rapidly than vedur.is.

Edit: how badly put that last sentence is!

Edit again: updated to 12z run now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I remember the great storm in 1998 aka 'Hurricane Stephen', Gusts of 96 knots -177Km recorded at Malin.
    It would take a lot to beat that. We had to get our roof repaired and my neighbour had to get a new roof.
    http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Dec1998_Storm.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I took the 12z ECM for Tuesday as an upgrade and feel that we are likely to see a series of slight upgrades now. Suggestions that this will be just a minor event are perhaps missing the key element of cold air wrapping around the circulation, a sign that winds are likely to become very gusty. I would set the over-under for max gust at 80 knots for this storm. Try to keep in mind that the models are working with a very volatile pattern here, given the cold SST anomaly around 30W and the rapid development rate of this cyclone which is barely past its infant stage now. Also, it will be "northern max" the most energetic point in the lunar cycle on Monday. There is often a bit of a sting in the tail of northern max storms. They tend to produce because they get that extra shot of geomagnetic energy.

The UKMO track for Thursday-Friday meanwhile, as per what J.S. was saying, is more or less maxing out potential for wind speeds in the south and east (of Ireland). I'm going to keep that one on the back burner in my thoughts until we get past whatever Tuesday has to offer. But it does look very strong on some of the 12z guidance. Have been watching the ECM come out and I heard that collective "uh oh" when it showed 120h. That's not going to be pretty if that verifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM keeps the core further South.
    Looks very severe for Northern half of the country, indeed for all
    Of course plenty time for it to change yet

Wow....12Z ECM has the second low down to 932 mb at 132 hours.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

How do you get the 12hr segments?

Looks disastrous.

I am just gettting a map of Roscommon on that link? :D

• Advertisement

How do you get the 12hr segments?

Looks disastrous.

2qtxwdv.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement