Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Well a minority gave NPHET the power at Christmas

NPHET have been in charge all along as MM has no authority, he gave them the keys, Varadkar is making a fool of him, FG are happy to let FF surrender to health administrators and bury themselves in the next GE.

Have you asked yourself why they are so slow in FG to bring forward laws on inbound travel quarantine?
    Larry Goodman the Don wouldn't approve so Helen McEntee is having FF lackey Donnelly do it, hence it won't get done.

They are happy to prevent us collecting an order in argos or get the hair cut one to one, but sure as long as Larry's factories have enough slaves to keep the meat flying out the door....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

NPHET have been in charge all along as MM has no authority, he gave them the keys, Varadkar is making a fool of him, FG are happy to let FF surrender to health administrators and bury themselves in the next GE.

Have you asked yourself why they are so slow in FG to bring forward laws on inbound travel quarantine?
    Larry Goodman the Don wouldn't approve so Helen McEntee is having FF lackey Donnelly do it, hence it won't get done.

They are happy to prevent us collecting an order in argos or get the hair cut one to one, but sure as long as Larry's factories have enough slaves to keep the meat flying out the door....

Agree with u there. FF is all about money and not the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Chivito550 wrote: »

I agree that the incessant bad news is very hard to take, but that doesn't mean the media are just making it all up. You'd expect some of the worst covid numbers in the world to be followed by at least one the worst lockdowns in the world.

Let's hope the vaccine continues to work, and then we will get our mass races back. And little races too.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I agree that the incessant bad news is very hard to take, but that doesn't mean the media are just making it all up. You'd expect some of the worst covid numbers in the world to be followed by at least one the worst lockdowns in the world.

Let's hope the vaccine continues to work, and then we will get our mass races back. And little races too.

Do we currently have one of the worst Covid numbers in the world?

Mark my words, the rest of Europe will be enjoying freedoms this summer and enjoying races, while we will be told to stay in our counties.

In not many countries has the CMO become a celebrity.

The lack of ambition by our government is staggering. They appear paralysed by fear, afraid of a media backlash if they go against NPHET again. No plan. No hope. Just constant talk of further restrictions, leaks to the press etc.

The same idiots get free rein in the media to spout their fear of 3 to 5 more years of this, vaccines not working even though the data shows they are (great way to encourage vaccine take up). All this coming from a lad who has been so badly wrong so many times already (120,000 dead worst case, 20,000 dead best case). None of these guys are challenged.

Variants existed all through last year. Nobody spoke about them. As soon as a vaccine was on the horizon, the media latched onto the variants.

The cynic in me thinks the media is going along with this because of the HSE ad revenue.

It's pretty clear that NPHET and the media are running the show at the moment.

I'm far from an conspiracy theorist by the way, and have complied with the vast majority of these restrictions, even the ones I think are utterly pointless.

I'll be going to Belfast to race this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

I'm far from an conspiracy theorist by the way, and have complied with the vast majority of these restrictions, even the ones I think are utterly pointless.

Pretty disillusioned with where we're at now and I'd fall into the same bracket as above. Lack of concrete plan, too many voices trying to be heard and a lack of justification for keeping us locked down until summer are just a few of my concerns. MM probably doesn't want more deaths on his hands but he should've thought of that before ignoring health advice prior to Christmas. Vaccination is here which should have been a catalyst for an uptick in positivity but there's been a constant barrage of doom and gloom from government and media. MM and FF are setting themselves up for another lengthy time on the Irish political sideline when this is all done. I'm not even on social media and ignore the news as best as possible so can't fathom how people who follow both of these mediums are handling things from a mental health perspective.

Edit: we've been minimally impacted at home, I'm not eager to get back to the pub or racing either.

There is not a hope in the world we be asked to stay within our counties come July and August. Over 70's we be vaccinated by the end of May

py wrote: »
    Pretty disillusioned with where we're at now and I'd fall into the same bracket as above. Lack of concrete plan, too many voices trying to be heard and a lack of justification for keeping us locked down until summer are just a few of my concerns. MM probably doesn't want more deaths on his hands but he should've thought of that before ignoring health advice prior to Christmas. Vaccination is here which should have been a catalyst for an uptick in positivity but there's been a constant barrage of doom and gloom from government and media. MM and FF are setting themselves up for another lengthy time on the Irish political sideline when this is all done. I'm not even on social media and ignore the news as best as possible so can't fathom how people who follow both of these mediums are handling things from a mental health perspective.

Edit: we've been minimally impacted at home, I'm not eager to get back to the pub or racing either.

Its funny we blame the government for opening up at xmas, but its the public that demanded it.

Government gave in to the public but ask the public to keep minimal social contacts, which they failed to do. Xmas disaster was down to the minority that ignore all advice and not the government on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubhurler4

Cork city marathon gone virtual for 2021 :-(

• Advertisement

Dubhurler4 wrote: »
    Cork city marathon gone virtual for 2021 :-(

That was expected. Anything before Nov is optimistic

The latest from England Athletics
    ”We are pleased to confirm that clubs, groups, coaching and competition can return outdoors from 29 March for both adults and children, in line with the UK Government’s roadmap for easing lockdown restrictions announced on 22 February"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

The latest from England Athletics
    ”We are pleased to confirm that clubs, groups, coaching and competition can return outdoors from 29 March for both adults and children, in line with the UK Government’s roadmap for easing lockdown restrictions announced on 22 February"

Lucky bast@rds!!!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Good news at last. Hopefully we are not too far behind with the massive increase in vaccinations here due in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Some fixtures for later this year have now been added to the Clonliffe Harriers website: https://clonliffeharriersac.com/calendar/. Latest NI fixtures are available here: https://athleticsni.org/Fixtures.

Oiriallach wrote: »
    Some fixtures for later this year have now been added to the Clonliffe Harriers website: https://clonliffeharriersac.com/calendar/. Latest NI fixtures are available here: https://athleticsni.org/Fixtures.

Fixtures taken down off Clonliffe site now. Still nothing up on AAI site.

I have a screenshot of the original fixtures on Clonliffe site anyway. Happy to post them up here later if anyone is interested.

All quite comical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Fixtures taken down off Clonliffe site now. Still nothing up on AAI site.

I have a screenshot of the original fixtures on Clonliffe site anyway. Happy to post them up here later if anyone is interested.

All quite comical.

Someone from CH probably told them they're talking about it on Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Terraces are opening up here(The Netherlands) on the 31st of March which is a big step forward.

Tentatively crossed fingers for the Amsterdam Marathon/Half in October.

J&J only a week or two behind. They will go to market almost side by side so you can double the number that was announced this week.

Just a case of Govts having the cop on now to ensure they needy get sorted promptly and the rest of us can go about things as normal ASAP.

11th of November that was....
    Well that J&J progress took a lot longer than expected, better to be sure I suppose.
    But for sure today marks the best day in the last year, a one dose vaccine which they will have flying out the door.
    It will put us well over the top of percentages required for herd immunity by mid summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

VHI mini marathon have confirmed event not going ahead this year. Usually on June bank holiday. They are having a virtual in Sept.
    https://www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Are people still doing virtual races?

I'm happy to be corrected, but I would imagine the novelty has worn off at this stage.

I did a few last year to support local clubs/charities but none this year so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Cartman78 wrote: »

I'm happy to be corrected, but I would imagine the novelty has worn off at this stage.

I did a few last year to support local clubs/charities but none this year so far

I think races like the Women's Mini Marathon will get virtual entries. It's a race with history and a lot of emotional significance for a lot of people.

And same goes for other virtual races on a local level I imagine. We have a local race every year, it went virtual last year and if it goes virtual again this year I'd do it to support it as it is a local cause. I wouldn't necessarily race it as in a TT unless it has some relevance to my training but I'd pay the entry fee and cover the distance on the day as a show of support.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cartman78 wrote: »

Did 2 paid for virtual events last year, London and Dublin but had different motivation for doing each of them. Won't be doing anymore virtual events unless some race I particularly care about comes up with some interesting take on things and I feel especially motivated to bung them a few quid.

I have done a bunch of free virtual events though, mostly arranged around the governing body trying to be seen to do something. There was some inter club variation on the national road relay events and mile or 10km championships, zero prizes other than bragging rights. They have also been doing an inter club challenge of just getting as many club members to run as far as they can in 30 minutes each weekend and adding up the totals. One of the more mature ladies in our club took to that early on and with her prodding has now got our club into second place nationally. Still means absolutely nothing and zero prizes, but has worked at getting more club members communicating with each other even just through Facebook and feeling like they are part of something.

There is a place for virtual events, but needs to be more than "pay us twenty quid, oh sorry we've had to cancel because of covid, why don't you go run 5km and we'll keep your money for you and ask for some more for next years entry".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I signed up for a local race which I probably can't do now anyway but it was organized by club and for a local charity so I don't mind at all. I couldn't see myself doing any other virtual races, just have to hold out until we are all back at a real start line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Seems hasty to settle on a virtual event in September.

Doesn't bode well for the bloody year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems hasty to settle on a virtual event in September.

Doesn't bode well for the bloody year

I guess they can't find a suitable date for an in real life event and things will be crowded round then would be other events that would normally be on which would take priority. Not surprised they had to cancel for June(?) as that is going to be too close to call with getting everything signed off now.

Events which would normally happen in September can hold off a bit longer before making the decision and hopefully don't need to cancel. By June when they need to confirm stuff things should be very different.

Having had personal experience dealing with the crowd who run wmm company from Sandyford Industrial estate they aren't going to risk losing a penny of their dsdac nest egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

Some dates on the Athletics Leinster website now: https://athleticsleinster.org/leinster-fixtures-top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

UM1 wrote: »

How the hell was that allowed go ahead?!?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The O

They make up their own rules in 'Ballyer'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

D1ckheads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Had a look on their Facebook site there to distract myself for a few minutes.....seems to have been a reasonably large scale event (a 10K with big shiny medals) that is part of a series, saw a few comments about an upcoming half marathon.

Surprised they had the balls to go ahead with it so openly but I suspect that it's probably a sign of things to come in the next few weeks as the weather improves and the long evenings.

Edit: seen a few group pics as well....maybe 30 people so not large scale I guess

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's fine sure there is no virus around there. Masks in shops aren't even mandatory I believe, I'm sure you've seen/heard similar UM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

It's fine sure there is no virus around there. Masks in shops aren't even mandatory I believe, I'm sure you've seen/heard similar UM.

Not even a virus would go there.

Its like they live in a paralell universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

The exact same part of Dublin. I'm shocked. :pac:

Thats the lower end..not as ruff as upper Ballyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

FFS 😡. I am struggling at the moment with motivation for running very up and down at the minute, missing a bit of company and camadarerie on my runs, even a change of route! To me they are just give the two fingers up to me while I’m struggling and doing my best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

who are that lot?
    Is that Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

Pretty sure I passed by this lot on Saturday morning. I was doing my usual loops trying to fit in a long run within my 5km and after exiting the canal at the road that brings you up towards Fonthill,when this swarm of runners were coming towards me. I had to hop down onto the road as it was pretty obvious they weren’t gonna make any room on the path for me!
    Must have been 50 runners or more I’d say.

I hate this lockdown and disagree with many aspects of it but I’m biting my lip and following the rules.

How can this happen but I can’t run with a couple of buddies?

TbL

I suspect it's a fairly unofficial underground type race as no way it would ever have been given any type of permit - not many elite looking athletes in those photos!

That said, are people here really still religiously sticking to the 5km limit for solo individual training? An absolutely ridiculous rule. I don't know a lot of people obeying that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I suspect it's a fairly unofficial underground type race as no way it would ever have been given any type of permit - not many elite looking athletes in those photos!

That said, are people here really still religiously sticking to the 5km limit for solo individual training? An absolutely ridiculous rule. I don't know a lot of people obeying that anymore.

I wouldn't say religiously, but yes, I'm sticking to it. Sometimes stray out of it, but never by much. 5k is big enough, although the long runs are getting a bit boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd love to go to Wicklow for some solo mountain running but been avoiding it due to the Garda checkpoints. They seem to be quite keen on catching weekenders. The Phoenix park is within my 5km so that's plenty for my needs, more hassle than it's worth to risk a fine going elsewhere. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who lives somewhere **** for running getting a change of scenery though.

Anyone who gives out about someone crossing their 5km radius despite starting/finishing at home is a tool imo. A fair few Strava twitchers out there with nothing better to do. Dr. Ronan Glynn admitted the other week that the actual distance was meaningless, it was there as a "signal" to stay at home as much as possible and not have people abusing the exercise exemption for going socialising. At the end of the day, it's about limiting your close contacts, not your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

OOnegative wrote: »
    Terraces are opening up here(The Netherlands) on the 31st of March which is a big step forward.

Tentatively crossed fingers for the Amsterdam Marathon/Half in October.

What’s the view in Netherlands re this? Likely?

Did the full in 2018, think I’ll sign up for the half and book a cancelable hotel.

Wonder will it sell out, with the 2020 rollovers, there can’t be many slots

• Advertisement

For training I am sticking to it. So many parks and business parks around me its easy to get good runs in. 5k radius is quiet a big area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm trying to stick to it here too. A long run takes me 100m outside of it just to get in a loop rather that an out & back but that's it. I'm at a slight disadvantage in that I can't run out my door, i have to drive about 1km and park up so I've eaten into my radius slightly but still 5km is quite generous - remember when it was 2km :eek:

Stark wrote: »
    I'd love to go to Wicklow for some solo mountain running but been avoiding it due to the Garda checkpoints. They seem to be quite keen on catching weekenders. The Phoenix park is within my 5km so that's plenty for my needs, more hassle than it's worth to risk a fine going elsewhere. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who lives somewhere **** for running getting a change of scenery though.

Anyone who gives out about someone crossing their 5km radius despite starting/finishing at home is a tool imo. A fair few Strava twitchers out there with nothing better to do. Dr. Ronan Glynn admitted the other week that the actual distance was meaningless, it was there as a "signal" to stay at home as much as possible and not have people abusing the exercise exemption for going socialising. At the end of the day, it's about limiting your close contacts, not your training.

There is people on strava watching to see if you break the 5k?
    That is pretty sad.

I agree with everything you said. Friends of mine go for big cycles. bring snacks with them so not stopping in a shop. So they are doing no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What’s the view in Netherlands re this? Likely?

Did the full in 2018, think I’ll sign up for the half and book a cancelable hotel.

Wonder will it sell out, with the 2020 rollovers, there can’t be many slots

Permits for any social gatherings won’t be issued here before the 6th of May at the earliest. There’s still over 5,000 cases daily here so long way to go before Amsterdam will take place. If I had to give my honest opinion on it, Amsterdam won’t happen in 2021.

Love to be proved wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

One of the loops I do has me ~7k away from home before I start heading back however can't say I'm losing any sleep over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement