Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

did I hear it right that the Strand road in Sandymount is going to me made 1 way to allow for cycle lanes. Commuters will be fewmin, ballsey move, it was always a horrible road for bikes especially for kids

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it used to be on my commute. it actually wasn't bad - as there was only sea to one side, crossing traffic wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Are you hoping to turn a profit with it! :pac:

I’d never say no to a profit :pac:! I’d like one for my own sanity, if I’d had a recording of the stupid sh1t that happened yesterday morning that I could report, it would stop me losing my cool and ruining the rest of my cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Simon Cowell in trouble after an electric bike accident.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53713971

Looks like the predictions of middle aged/ elderly accidents on these things may have had some foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Biker79 wrote: »

Looks like the predictions of middle aged/ elderly accidents on these things may have had some foundation.

Don't think it's a prediction as such. It's a trend that turned up in Dutch statistics already. I'm not sure it's that big a problem though, if the bike is a pedelec, and the alternative is not cycling, and losing the benefits thereof.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Don't think it's a prediction as such. It's a trend that turned up in Dutch statistics already. I'm not sure it's that big a problem though, if the bike is a pedelec, and the alternative is not cycling, and losing the benefits thereof.

Hmm. The cohort of users most likely to ride one, are the very ones most likely to end up in an accident.

Perhaps its not a show stopper, but there will be a lot more of these as the uptake increases.

Last week I saw one middle aged guy careering up the Luas tracks at a ridiculous speed, in relation to the environment he was in. He wasn't in full control. Lucky he didn't need to stop quickly.

They don't develop muscular spatial awareness, like regular bikes do. Thats a problem if your faculties arent good to begin with.

Hmm. The cohort of users most likely to ride one, are the very ones most likely to end up in an accident.

It's not helpful that they're not separating out pedelecs though. They're substantially different from other e-bikes.

Also, the Dutch statistics, as they're discussed, don't make the injury rate very clear. A high proportion of users being injured are over 60: that's an interesting fact, but it's not that surprising if over-60s are most of the users too.

I do think they're probably over-represented in the injury stats, but it would be helpful to see the pedelec statistics separated from the other e-bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

drove over to visit friends of ours on saturday (they've already had CV so a pretty safe trip); first time i've been over father mathew bridge (the bridge crossing from church street to bridge street) and was pleased to see that on the approach southbound, they've converted and narrowed the inner traffic lane, and made it a protected cycling lane, and widened the outer lane for motorised traffic. so it has only one motorised lane southbound. which is eminently sensible.
    reverts to normal as soon as you hit the southside.

it's a hell of an improvement from what it was like before; two southbound motor lanes absolutely bet onto the bridge:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3459982,-6.2755074,3a,74.2y,190.72h,72.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAUe4c6RaqgzhgoFQfnV22g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I went that way on Saturday too. It was always a bit sketchy from the tram tracks to the bridge, so it was nice to see it reorganised.

Once across the river I witnessed a bread van doing a "why bother?" dodgy turn. The driver went through the junction, did a quick u-turn around the island, and then turned left on to Usher's Quay. That's just breaking a No Right Turn sign with extra steps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

https://twitter.com/aciquestion/status/1292355866482618373?s=19

Before anyone responds, I could be wrong, but this isn't Gemma but the person who does a brilliant impersonation of her from around the Shankill area.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Before anyone responds, I could be wrong, but this isn't Gemma but the person who does a brilliant impersonation of her from around the Shankill area.

Good slogan she's come up with there for promoting cycling anyway: Anyone can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »

It's not OTT enough to be obvious, and really does sound like something she would come out with. See this old article from her

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/on-yer-bike-just-ride-safely-26529060.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rubadub wrote: »
    It's not OTT enough to be obvious, and really does sound like something she would come out with. See this old article from her

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/on-yer-bike-just-ride-safely-26529060.html
    :eek: FFS what a closing statement...
    But whether you're out on bike or steed this summer, bear in mind that the motorist is, whether you like it or not, king of the road on primary routes. If you get in their way and get hurt, you only have yourself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If she wasnt such a hate filled wench she'd be great entertainment.

If she wasnt such a hate filled wench she'd be great entertainment.

There is actually more hate directed against her, than she has directed against anyone.

Shes a conservative religious person. 20 years ago, that was quite normal. Now...woe betide if you hold conservative views ( on the internet anyway ).

It will come full circle again in another few years.

There is actually more hate directed against her, than she has directed against anyone.

"A hurley should never be in the hands of a Pakistani"

20 years ago (2000) that statement would meet much the same reaction as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

She's hardly just a "conservative religious person". Leaving aside the immigration/ anti choice angles (which I personally find appalling) , her and cohorts behaviour around lockdowns/ masks etc has been disgusting - no scientific backing.

The crackpot 5G stuff isn't standard Catholic orthodoxy either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Changing the subject from yer wan back to something more bike related...

https://twitter.com/TheFastShow1/status/1293070832965750784

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Oh yeah, I finished replacing the cables and bar tape :D

Changing the subject from yer wan back to something more bike related...

Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni is a legend - would love to hear what he thinks about the Twitteratti.

Probably identical views to my own. :D

Shes a conservative religious person. 20 years ago, that was quite normal. Now...woe betide if you hold conservative views ( on the internet anyway ).

It will come full circle again in another few years.
    I feel sorry for you if you had to suffer the presence of people like her 20 years ago, even knowing 1 person like that would be bad enough, but sounds like you knew loads of them if you say it was "quite normal".

This was certainly not normal to me, 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Might have seen a drunken scumbag saying something racist, but several of my friends parents were religious and conservative and would have been horrified listening to that disgrace of a human, then & now and I guess "in another few years".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Daroxtar wrote: »

Oh my...
    And in my club colours! Is it just me or is that a very handsome bike? A mate got one maybe 5/6 years ago and loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

rubadub wrote: »
    I feel sorry for you if you had to suffer the presence of people like her 20 years ago, even knowing 1 person like that would be bad enough, but sounds like you knew loads of them if you say it was "quite normal".

This was certainly not normal to me, 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Might have seen a drunken scumbag saying something racist, but several of my friends parents were religious and conservative and would have been horrified listening to that disgrace of a human, then & now and I guess "in another few years".

very much my feeling, conservative/religious is nothing compared to hate her and few others on their "free speech for me" horse.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The crackpot 5G stuff isn't standard Catholic orthodoxy either.

Eh....Huawei and Tencent. Have you been reading the news?

Its less ' Catholic Orthodoxy ' and more 2000 years of Judeo Christian heritage, which I believe the Church of Woke are also trying to cancel. Despite having benefited hugely from it. I guess gratitude isnt among their core tenets..

mod note - that's enough Gemma o'd and conspiracy theory talk for now, please leave it for other more suitable forums. Ta.

https://www.treehugger.com/simon-cowell-did-not-fall-off-an-e-bike-5074440
    The Swind EB-01 that Cowell was riding has a bigger motor. "The beating heart of this beast is an electrical motor with 15kW of power." that is 20 times the maximum allowed for e-bikes in North America, 60 times the limit in Europe. It has been called "the fastest bike on earth"– It can do 80 miles per hour, or four times the Class 1 or 2 limit in North America, five times the Euro standard. Made in the UK, the Swind website notes that it isn't even legal there:

We want to point out that the use of EB-01 isn´t allowed on UK public roads, because this electric bicycle exceeds the legal speed limit of 15.5mph and it has more than 250W of power for an electric bicycle allowed on UK public roads. It is only allowed to be used on private, closed areas, sporting activities or on designated routes.
    After his surgery, Cowell tweeted: "Some good advice... If you buy an electric trail bike, read the manual before you ride it for the first time."

https://thearsenale.com/products/swind-eb-01#

Ah here....Treehugger? Seriously??

Anyway....you can trot out all the marketing you like....doesn't change the fact they are accidents waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement