Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CramCycle wrote: »
    I always thought it was due to percieved increase in risk, if you nudge shoulders while squared off you just nudge shoulders, if your half wheeling, you might take a rider (or a few) down

that's what I thought too. If there's someone beside you, you know; if they're behind you they should be actually behind you, and not half-wheeling so you don't get a clash of wheels if the person in front has to swerve for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What buffalo has said.

It just leads to a viscous circle of increasing speed and spoils the natural order of things especially for the slower riders. What's the point of going on a group ride if you wish to spoil the dynamics for everyone else? Feck off and go solo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's such an arsehole thing to do.
    I wouldn't mind but the worst offenders I have come across I can blow off my wheel if I tried, without much effort. I don't know what they're trying to prove with it.
    I don't respond when they start, and just call them out on it. I ask in a concerned fashion what it is that's lacking or why they feel so inadequate in life/ what is making them feel so small that they feel the need to half wheel?!
    I have never felt the need to do it.
    Those that are genuinely strong don't do it in my experience, although there are exceptions.
    New people can do it too, but they just don't know any better and usually stop when you point out what they're doing.

It's in the commuter racing category for me. I do not in any way, shape or form understand why random men (I have yet to be 'raced' by a fellow woman) feel the need to do it. I race my bike in bike races, and have nothing to prove outside that on they way to work or just popping into town! Plus all my commutes are steady recovery rides. They make a big burst to go by you then slow right down, and I have to pass them out again cos I go at the same pace :mad: it's really frustrating and happens to me every. single. commute. :rolleyes:

Commuter racers + half wheelers, two sides of the same coin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Me accepting my "Half Wheeler Of The Year " award at our club Christmas party. I had a bad crash last year and might have been a bit *enthusiastic* once I got back out again .... :D:D
    JpGawCF.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

That trophy! :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

Excellent.

We can never go for a spin together though Daroxtar :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eeeee wrote: »
    It's in the commuter racing category for me. I do not in any way, shape or form understand why random men (I have yet to be 'raced' by a fellow woman) feel the need to do it. I race my bike in bike races, and have nothing to prove outside that on they way to work or just popping into town! Plus all my commutes are steady recovery rides. They make a big burst to go by you then slow right down, and I have to pass them out again cos I go at the same pace :mad: it's really frustrating and happens to me every. single. commute. :rolleyes:

Commuter racers + half wheelers, two sides of the same coin!

I commuter race on occasion but not in the way you describe, my route home often has Ras riders, A1s, A2s etc and we chat, stretch the legs etc. There is even one guy who sends me messages on Strava to say I dropped him or he dropped me but all in a humourous kind of way. I once even towed a Ras stage winner home, he complimented me at a set of lights and I pointed out that the creche was closing in 3 minutes and I was on a mission.

I don't like the commuter racers who do that weird thing of suddenly putting in an effort as you go past even though they were clearly 10kmph slower before hand, and on the same note, if I'm overtaken I don't follow. I have even laughed at myself as a quite elderly gent on an upright high nelly type bike sailed past me as I was white knuckling it into the wind on the N11, it made me relax and laugh to myself. My co worker gets it all the time, although worse from drivers who see her in regular clothes and subconciously presume she is going slowly even though she is doing 40kmph+. She would easily drop me in a heartbeat (I've tried to convince her to join my club, she can drop me on her hybrid with ease). Some people are douche bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    I commuter race on occasion but not in the way you describe, my route home often has Ras riders, A1s, A2s etc and we chat, stretch the legs etc. There is even one guy who sends me messages on Strava to say I dropped him or he dropped me but all in a humourous kind of way. I once even towed a Ras stage winner home, he complimented me at a set of lights and I pointed out that the creche was closing in 3 minutes and I was on a mission.

I don't like the commuter racers who do that weird thing of suddenly putting in an effort as you go past even though they were clearly 10kmph slower before hand, and on the same note, if I'm overtaken I don't follow. I have even laughed at myself as a quite elderly gent on an upright high nelly type bike sailed past me as I was white knuckling it into the wind on the N11, it made me relax and laugh to myself. My co worker gets it all the time, although worse from drivers who see her in regular clothes and subconciously presume she is going slowly even though she is doing 40kmph+. She would easily drop me in a heartbeat (I've tried to convince her to join my club, she can drop me on her hybrid with ease). Some people are douche bags.

I think calling her a douchebag for not joining your club is a little off there dude. /s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

That crash in Tour of Poland today......Reminds me of the Abdoujapourov crash on the Champs d'Elysee way back when.
    Fabio Jakobsen is in serious trouble in hospital.

koutoubia wrote: »
    That crash in Tour of Poland today......Reminds me of the Abdoujapourov crash on the Champs d'Elysee way back when.
    Fabio Jakobsen is in serious trouble in hospital.

I posted it in the other thread but the latest on that.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dylan-groenewegen-facing-disciplinary-action-after-tour-de-pologne-crash/

The fact that a by-stander was hurt aswell will cost him badly here I think and rightly so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

christ, only seeing the video now. that looks horrific.

• Advertisement

christ, only seeing the video now. that looks horrific.

Worse when the host broadcaster thought it was a good idea to replay it from all angles and the commentators from Eurosport had to apologise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a few of us here live in this general area:

https://twitter.com/TamiGaberz_/status/1291349103398596610

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

there's a few of us here live in this general area:

https://twitter.com/TamiGaberz_/status/1291349103398596610

Northside... sure the lane would be stolen.

*runs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Northside... sure the lane would be stolen.

*runs

I should be offended, but my normally very quiet road has had some attempted dog thefts (scummy thing to do)this past week and some cars broken into around the corner.

koutoubia wrote: »
    ....Reminds me of the Abdoujapourov crash on the Champs d'Elysee way back when.l.
    Ah - 'The Tashkent Terror'. That's a blast from the past. He has a ridiculously erratic sprinting style. I don't know how he got away with it for so long. Pure intimidation.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I should be offended, but my normally very quiet road has had some attempted dog thefts (scummy thing to do)this past week and some cars broken into around the corner.

Sure I'm in Inchicore and somebody said to me recently 'they'd rob the credit off your phone if you weren't looking'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I'm looking for a stand for my bike. It's kept indoors, in a small rental property, so it needs to be freestanding, and due to size constraints, the smaller the better. The main aim is to not have to lean the bike against the wall anymore, it won't be used for working on the bike! Anybody know where I could pick up one? It's for a road bike with disc brakes

I'm looking for a stand for my bike. It's kept indoors, in a small rental property, so it needs to be freestanding, and due to size constraints, the smaller the better. The main aim is to not have to lean the bike against the wall anymore, it won't be used for working on the bike! Anybody know where I could pick up one? It's for a road bike with disc brakes

Halfords have these https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-storage-solutions/bikehut-universal-bike-stand-375378.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Weepsie wrote: »

I know it's a cycling forum but perhaps it's ok in the flamme rouge thread, but if anyone hears of or suspects dog thefts going on in any part of the country - down to the estate/street - please do let us know, especially if we can observe patterns/vehicles etc.

I have 4 wonderful dogs and am nervous any time I have to step away from the house - including to cycle.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I know it's a cycling forum but perhaps it's ok in the flamme rouge thread, but if anyone hears of or suspects dog thefts going on in any part of the country - down to the estate/street - please do let us know, especially if we can observe patterns/vehicles etc.

I have 4 wonderful dogs and am nervous any time I have to step away from the house - including to cycle.

I foster and do homechecks, from what I'm hearing in those circles it is absolutely rife and not just social media frenzy. Look after your furry friends

• Advertisement

Spotted northern reg van in our area I'd seen mentioned on social media relating to dog thefts, normally I wouldn't pay much heed to those kind of posts but the van was indeed acting suspiciously. Gardaí seemed to take enough of an interest to make me feel justified in calling them about it.

Sickening thing to do to steal someones dog. For myself at least our lad is part of the family and I'm sure most feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

These are pretty good too: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/lifeline-metal-bike-display-stand/rp-prod122327

If fastway don't flatten it.

I wont buy from crc unless they give another option on delivery. To be fair I buy locally where I can

Do you have one of these? It looks nice and solid, but I can't find the dimensions of it anywhere to see how wide it is!

I like the look of that as it's quite small, but I was reading reviews on another website with plenty of people giving out that it didn't fit bikes with disc brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Do you have one of these? It looks nice and solid, but I can't find the dimensions of it anywhere to see how wide it is!

I like the look of that as it's quite small, but I was reading reviews on another website with plenty of people giving out that it didn't fit bikes with disc brakes

It doesn't, or at least it fits really badly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had a very small hernia for years and finally got it done last week so I'm off the bike for another week or so. I decided I'd replace the gear cables and bar tape, just to keep myself occupied and maybe feel a bit smoother when I get back out. I enjoy doing bits like that. I find it calming and the end result is always worth it.
    Snipped the cable off the rear derailleur and tied a thread to the end of it then pulled them through the frame (internal cable routing) and left plenty of thread hanging out so there'd be no danger of losing it.
    Then the 2 kids decided to run amok trying to murder each other, screaming and roaring, skin and hair flying and chasing each other around the kitchen. Amid the carnage trying to prevent fratricide I got snagged in the thread and pulled it out of the frame.
    Could I fk get it back through the holes. Twenty minutes with my blood pressure through the roof trying to suck the thread back through the frame with the vacuum cleaner. Twisting and turning the bike everyway, finally getting the thread through and then getting the cable through. Sweat dripping off me, oily track of the chain on my forehead, the 8 year old still bitching at his older sister and me with a pain in my arse to match the one in my stitches. So much for the zen bike maintenance experience.
    So I just left the fking thing half done, bar tape lying on the floor, sent the two up to bed and went to bed myself.
    Got up today, ignored the bike. Headed off to Galway for the weekend and had my first pub pint of Guinness since Christmas (accompanied by a substantial meal costing more than €9) and seeing as it was so nice I had another couple to go with it. That was quite calming and enjoyable.
    I'll finish the bike on Monday

give the bike to the kids to fix and tell them they're not being fed, and no electronic devices, till they have it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Quality rant Daroxtar - been there :D

Is there a thread about cameras (reviews, what to buy, etc.)? I can’t find one (using the search on the touch site anyway). After another two incidents this morning, I think it’s time to invest

• Advertisement

.... I think it’s time to invest
    Are you hoping to turn a profit with it! :pac:

Advertisement