Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Go for yellow. The white looks awful and the black looks cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭devonp

i have bright yellow ones, they're my dry weather shoes. hard to keep clean, cos no matter what, you're going to end up cycling in mucky weather.

have a pair of bont blitz in fluo yellow, great shoe but they're no longer fluo and barely yellow either...:D

When is it expected the 2021 range of bikes will come into bike shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

CramCycle wrote: »
    When is it expected the 2021 range of bikes will come into bike shops?
    I heard from base2race that it would be December. Although there seems to be a trickle of new models appearing on websites now

I would guess there are frantic efforts behind the scenes. to get shipments out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Cycling shoes; looking at bright yellow, white or black- link
    Is yellow a no,no or are they common & do they help you be seen in any way?

Cheers,
    Pa.

If you're buying online, be careful with sizing. From my experience Northwave seem to be peculiar in this regard.

• Advertisement

Luxman wrote: »
    I heard from base2race that it would be December. Although there seems to be a trickle of new models appearing on websites now

I would guess there are frantic efforts behind the scenes. to get shipments out

Hmmmm, open to the B2W scheme again, but I looked around and at the minute, I would be better just up keeping my current commuter (a decent 2nd hand purchase). Ah well, suppose its a good position to be in.

On a more hilarious note, it finally happened. Middle of my local town, rolled up to a red light. I was going to track stand and then seen where in the light cycle it was so changed my mind. It was a long, wet day so I decided to put a foot down. Problem was, my mind just blanked. Even worse, I had already started to lean into it so I couldn't even recover the track stand. In my panic to remember how to unclip I yanked my leg which just sped up the fall. Got a hand out, cut knee and an almighty bruise to my ego.

On a more hilarious note, it finally happened. Middle of my local town, rolled up to a red light. I was going to track stand and then seen where in the light cycle it was so changed my mind. It was a long, wet day so I decided to put a foot down. Problem was, my mind just blanked. Even worse, I had already started to lean into it so I couldn't even recover the track stand. In my panic to remember how to unclip I yanked my leg which just sped up the fall. Got a hand out, cut knee and an almighty bruise to my ego.

That happened to me in 1987. I had just got my new MKS pedals. I had them a few days and went for a spin, I got as far as Slane, saw my brother-in-law and another friend standing on the roadside. I stopped to have a chat ,forgot about being clipped in and fell right at their feet, only hurt my pride. The hoors still slag me about it.

Unreal how quickly the dark evenings seem to creep back in. Came out of tesco around 8:40 and was glad I had lights on the bike. Soaked from the mist too.

Unreal how quickly the dark evenings seem to creep back in. Came out of tesco around 8:40 and was glad I had lights on the bike. Soaked from the mist too.

I went out to watch The Mark Mullen League race this evening. It started at 7.30pm. A bit shady.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like this evening is an evening to bag some KOMs, if you're in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I went out to watch The Mark Mullen League race this evening. It started at 7.30pm. A bit shady.

I could just about make you out in the loverley warm car....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Working from home today for the first time in a long time, on my own for all of it, got lots done and in no way acting weird from the lack of social interaction. Flicked on the TV a few minutes ago. Caught the end of C4 news. Found myself dancing like Tyres O'Flaherty to the credit music.

I am totally OK mentally, I swear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Working from home today for the first time in a long time, on my own for all of it, got lots done and in no way acting weird from the lack of social interaction. Flicked on the TV a few minutes ago. Caught the end of C4 news. Found myself dancing like Tyres O'Flaherty to the credit music.

I am totally OK mentally, I swear.

I've been there for months now.
    I fear this is who I am now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was out with a rough sleeper team earlier. I stopped our van on westland row outside the centra but I just parked in the driving lane. Jeez we have some impatient people in this city

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

YOU'RE GIVING US ALL A BAD NAME, ETC.

image.jpg

CX training in a storm?

• Advertisement

i never really understood the purposes of the sandbags. how can they prevent water from getting through?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They're cheap and can filter out dirty water and can be used as weights on manholes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i never really understood the purposes of the sandbags. how can they prevent water from getting through?
    I think that they prevent all the associated crap from getting through. Those small sandbags you see house holders/shopkeepers putting outside their doorways in flood prone areas don't really stop water coming through but filter sewage particles from entering the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My understanding is that sandbags are used widely because they're cheap and easy enough to handle and stack.

I think they do provide somewhat of a barrier to water ingress, because silt and clay start filling in the pores in the sand within the bag, plugging them, while the bag starts getting much heavier, making it harder to be carried away by the water.

This is for a wall of stacked sand bags. The arrangement in the photo above is maybe to take the momentum out of storm surges?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I remember stacking sandbags all around the pub I worked in as a kid before Hurricane Charley (yes I'm that old). They were surprisingly effective. Kept the water at bay during the worst of it - combination of high tide and the hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Made me laugh- Rule #12: While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

From 'The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple'

my wife told me that if i ever reached 5 bikes, she could get a horse. she wasn't joking. so i told her that meant i could have up to nine bikes before she got a second one.

and bikes are much cheaper than horses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

my wife told me that if i ever reached 5 bikes, she could get a horse. she wasn't joking. so i told her that meant i could have up to nine bikes before she got a second one.

and bikes are much cheaper than horses too.

You can buy a horse for 50quid in parts of Dublin

A box of smokes during the recession

• Advertisement

I'm sure you can buy a bike for less than 50 quid in parts of Dublin.

Advertisement