Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Watching it live now on the GCN app. A lot of the riders look cream crackered

Gas thing is the pirates can show it on their dodgy streams no problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Player still down for me.

Looking at ES Twitter feeds, they say that womens races will only be availible via the GCN App for this season. Thats mad logic and does nothing but harm to the promotion of womens cycling if people are expected to pay out another sub to watch womens racing. All races races should be availible together on the one platform. Discovery own both ES and GCN so you can work that one out yourselves.

Yeah it's bonkers, at the very least you should have access to the GCN stuff if you already sub to ES.

@velo.2010 Spotted this on twitter and is working for me.

"Go to http://eurosport.com and go to the watch tab and you can see. "

• Advertisement

Kirby really pushing the GCN App. I can see cycling coverage eventually being moved from Eurosport to GCN. Pay for GCN for cycling coverage, pay for Eurosport for all other sports coverage.

I'd be happy enough to move to GCN if it's got everything. Be interested to know if the stuff can be watched on demand as well as live. Can't see that from the app at the minute.

Also some of the races they do have aren't being shown live like route d sud or what ever it's called now only has delayed highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Two great races today. Great to have pro cycling back

Whoop van Aert!

Looking at next weekend Milan - San Remo is going to be a different race, after the route changes and the reduction in team sizes to 6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

In no way cycling related but:

1. Anyone got a decent squat rack for sale in Dublin area.
    2. Anyone know a charity shop taking kids toys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

So I am confused about Eurosport player and GCN app

what is the difference ? Does one need both ?

I subscribe to BT TV to get eurosport which i just watch for cycling only

But what is the point if Eurosport move all onto 2 apps

Bad form really as should be on eurosport TV

Lanerne Rouge interviewing Ronan McLoughlin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that was posted two posts above...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What was? ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

if you posting my a phone, many of the latest posts aren't actually displaying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I saw that briefly earlier and I couldn't figure out where it had happened. That is criminally negligent.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Phil Gaimon interviewing Ronan McLaughlin here, seems like a sound man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

comes across as such a nice guy there.

just looking at the numbers; he did it 80 times i think. the two slowest times are 5:12 and 5:25.
    the fastest anyone in the boards.ie group on strava has managed is 5:12.
    which means in one day, he went faster than anyone in the boards group has ever managed, 78 times.

• Advertisement

Phil played a blinder on this. Tonnes of comments on all the reports and the Lanterne Rouge interview along the lines of Phil's been quiet, did anyone tell Phil etc. So instead of doing a reaction video he goes and interview him. Brilliant.

Way more insightful than the lanterne rouge video, and hopefully the charity does well as these guys have quite a decent reach between them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

:eek:
    Looking at this, one can't help think of either a padeo vehicle advert or are they eagerly anticipating an impact.
    Either way, it's not a good advert...

https://twitter.com/AudiOfficial/status/1289848460368257033

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

comes across as such a nice guy there.

just looking at the numbers; he did it 80 times i think. the two slowest times are 5:12 and 5:25.
    the fastest anyone in the boards.ie group on strava has managed is 5:12.
    which means in one day, he went faster than anyone in the boards group has ever managed, 78 times.

Terrifying. I did it the week before and I was in bits after one go :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

:eek:
    Looking at this, one can't help think of either a padeo vehicle advert or are they eagerly anticipating an impact.
    Either way, it's not a good advert...

Its a stupid ad but some of the replies, I do worry about people. This said, since your comment, all I can think of is the Brass Eye and Dr. Fox clip:
    https://twitter.com/morris_bits/status/889837256411893761

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

So. Half wheeling. Came across the term, and started to look it up to see what it's about.

I get the general idea of half wheeling, but I fail to see the issue. If rider A is half wheeling rider B, why is it assumed that rider B must make up the ground to draw level. Why not continue at pace and allow rider A to maintain half a wheel in front

I suspect rider B feels they must keep up and therefore they are playing catch-up for the ride rather than riding along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

I suspect rider B feels they must keep up and therefore they are playing catch-up for the ride rather than riding along.

Yeah, that's what everyone says. But if rider A is maintaining speed, just that he (or she) is a little ahead, I don't get it

It can depend on who A is riding with but if I'm out and want to go at a pace, id like It to be a pace I'm comfortable with.
    When I'm in a group and there are slower riders then I know I'll have to manage my speed to account for them. If I drift on, it makes for an unpleasant ride for B.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

cletus wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what everyone says. But if rider A is maintaining speed, just that he (or she) is a little ahead, I don't get it

The issue is that when rider A starts half-wheeling rider B, B accelerates to draw level, because that's the natural instinct - to ride alongside each other, not slightly ahead/behind.

Then rider A accelerates to half-wheel again, and the process repeats, and gradually the pace ramps up, and up, and up. Meanwhile the group behind is getting strung out to bits by the increase in pace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always thought it was due to percieved increase in risk, if you nudge shoulders while squared off you just nudge shoulders, if your half wheeling, you might take a rider (or a few) down

Advertisement