Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Gets himself back into the lead and lads focus purely on the negatives..Jesus christ its not like he is underachieving like monty or Darren Clarke over 20+ years

I'm confident he will finish his career with double figures for majors. But that won't be enough for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Augme

Gets himself back into the lead and lads focus purely on the negatives..Jesus christ its not like he is underachieving like monty or Darren Clarke over 20+ years

I'm confident he will finish his career with double figures for majors. But that won't be enough for some people.

Not if he keeps playing like he did this weekend. Same ****, different year from Rory. When the next best are the likes of Tyrell Hatton and Tommy Fleetwood then he can get away with a shocker of a round. But he can't, and hasn't, on the pga tour.

It's been so long it's hard to say when or if he will turn it around though at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

A 67 is a shocker of a round?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Tyrell Hatton Top 10 in the world, Fleetwood, Top 20. Pretty decent competition.

Had a 72 yesterday but back in business with a 67 today. Drove it better, hit some lovely irons and putted well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

People get waay too hung up on him supposedly being the next Tiger Woods, we won't see anything like Tiger for a lifetime I'd say.

McIlroy is the best golfer this island has ever produced and that's good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think people should watch Rory at US open 2011 on You Tube - he is unreal. We have seen nothing like him on this Island anyway. Never mind the world.

Two golfers I'd love to see do well this year is McIlroy and Fleetwood. Love to see them get a major each in 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Looks like the patrons will be allowed into the Masters this year, albeit in reduced numbers. I’d say the players, including Mcilroy will be delighted to see them and feed off the excitement. Having watched Tigers doc over the past week, and reading Michael Bamberger’s book, there is unlikely to be anyone again as singleminded about winning. With him it was all about majors, nothing else mattered, literally. Mcilroy just isn’t the same type of competitor, so won’t ever be close to achieving what woods/Nicklaus did. A very good player, just not one of the greats unless he wins more of the biggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Augme wrote: »
    Not if he keeps playing like he did this weekend. Same ****, different year from Rory. When the next best are the likes of Tyrell Hatton and Tommy Fleetwood then he can get away with a shocker of a round. But he can't, and hasn't, on the pga tour.

It's been so long it's hard to say when or if he will turn it around though at this stage.

This weekend?...he is leading the event...are we watching the same thing?

So leading the event is bad when its mcilroy, people are using actual impossible standards to judge him by at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Looking forward to tomorrow- Rory Fleetwood and Hatton . Who can hold their nerve !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I don't think any golfer would disagree that Rory has underachieved. But the interesting thing with Rory - he didn't want to be like Tiger. He seemed to want a more normal life. He has said that.

Tiger is actually a head case. Rory wanted a more rounded life.

I wasn't comparing their personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Dav010 wrote: »
    Looks like the patrons will be allowed into the Masters this year

Not that it’s important but that word patrons grinds my gears way more than it should.

I think people should watch Rory at US open 2011 on You Tube - he is unreal. We have seen nothing like him on this Island anyway. Never mind the world.

No majors since 2014. Talent means jack **** when it is wasted. He has the talent to be an all time great but is missing something mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

ForeRight wrote: »
    Not that it’s important but that word patrons grinds my gears way more than it should.

It's probably the fact that they enforce the use of the word. I hate everything about the Masters except for the golf

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

So leading the event is bad when its mcilroy, people are using actual impossible standards to judge him by at this stage.

Judging by the standards he's held to on this forum he is a disgrace this weekend!! 54 holes played and only -13. To match his talent, he should at least be birdieing every second hole and never ever have a bogey. He should be at -27 at this stage minimum. I just can't watch him wasting his talent any further!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Augme

There was a reason I quoted the poster and post that said he was confident Rory would win over 10 majors.

I wasn't referring to his performance in the vacaum of one tournament at Any Dhabi. He's leading this tournament and that's great. But I still don't expect him to competing at the business end at any of the majors this year just because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭abff

Jaysus lads! Some of the comments here having a go at Rory and so far over the top that you have to wonder if they’re serious or just g*b****es trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Really nice start. 2 under thru 3. Putting so well this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I think he's really matured since the end of last year. This isn't form, it's permanent. I don't think he'll get to tigers number of majors, but he'll definitely get into double figures now.

blue note wrote: »
    I think he's really matured since the end of last year. This isn't form, it's permanent. I don't think he'll get to tigers number of majors, but he'll definitely get into double figures now.

Crazy how he's matured in the few months!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Terrible bogey on 8. Poor course management on a par 5 he birdied every other day. From a 2 shot lead he is now a shot back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Slipping away i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Get it going on the back nine Rory !

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

That birdie on 10 for Hatton could be the clincher.

Bogey's from nowhere on the front 9 from Rory. Needs a run here on the back 9

Looks bleak now, just not hitting enough fairways, seems to be going from bunker to bunker.

abff wrote: »
    Jaysus lads! Some of the comments here having a go at Rory and so far over the top that you have to wonder if they’re serious or just g*b****es trolling.

No ones having a go. He doesn't have the mentality to back up his talent. He easily could be a top 5 ever golfer but will probably be top 20 or there abouts.

Free forum to give reasoned opinions on :). Maybe you need to find a Rory fanclub echo chamber forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

All gone now. Can't fault Hatton with that putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

But you can fault McIlroy for being all over the place off the tee, some terrible course management and a couple of fairly poor bunker shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

Rory is the Conor mcgregor of Golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

He has the game but doesn't have the ability to finish it tournaments any more. I wonder if he played in an intermediate scratch cup how he'd get on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement