Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Wedges still not very good but putter has been on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Wedges still not very good but putter has been on fire.

Haven't been watching, is he using a new putter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Lightning start, hopefully he can keep it up.

Falling apart today. Down to 6 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Falling apart today. Down to 6 under.

So frustrating. He will have a great Saturday and Sunday and finish 2 or 3 shots behind and we can all say what if he shot level par on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

So he goes from being 1 ahead to 6 behind! In the top 10 for today's round, he's +2 and 4 behind everyone else in the top 10 except for Zanotti. That's brutal. Just holed a nice birdie put on 14 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

His driving has been awful this round, and got punished almost every time. Left himself some horrid second shots.

His putting has still been good though so tidy up the driving and he should be in better shape for weekend

I see he has the SIM2 driver in the bag. Basically every year now he is moving to a new driver now to comply with his TM contract. I'm not sure if it's doing him any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I just looked at the leaderboard and only 4 players out of 94 have a worse second round score than McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't think he's going to be at much this year. I expect he'll fall outside of the top 50 and struggle to get into the masters next year. I doubt we'll see him in a Ryder Cup again. I expect Rich Beem will win another major before him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

blue note wrote: »
    I don't think he's going to be at much this year. I expect he'll fall outside of the top 50 and struggle to get into the masters next year. I doubt we'll see him in a Ryder Cup again. I expect Rich Beem will win another major before him.

That's a bit much now. He's still a quality player as we saw yesterday, didn't drive the ball well today but still putted well. They were saying he's added some distance on his drives, could explain him being more erratic off the tee today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

I see he has the SIM2 driver in the bag. Basically every year now he is moving to a new driver now to comply with his TM contract. I'm not sure if it's doing him any good.

Do all the top players generally not change driver every year?

Often you see them keep a 3/5 wood in the bag that is a couple of seasons old but the driver seems to the one that is change ubiquitously by the top guys anyway. Could be contract related but doesn’t seem to be alone

Anyway, the least of McIlorys issues is driver, his last 5 years SG off the tee are 1st, 2nd, 6th, 1st 6th so if anything changing driver seems like a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

blue note wrote: »

You’re to long in the tooth around this forum to be trolling like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Here's my feel of the likelihood of Rory winning another major....he may win one, or more than one.

But the next one he wins he's very unlikely to win it against the odds, or coming out of the pack late Sunday. It's much more likely where he plays great, gets a lead, everything goes great first 3 days and nobody else shoots the lights out. And he stand on 1st tee round 4 feeling great, with zero pressure.

If that happens, I can see him winning more majors in all sorts of circumstances after that, but the next one is key.

Do all the top players generally not change driver every year?

Often you see them keep a 3/5 wood in the bag that is a couple of seasons old but the driver seems to the one that is change ubiquitously by the top guys anyway. Could be contract related but doesn’t seem to be alone

Anyway, the least of McIlorys issues is driver, his last 5 years SG off the tee are 1st, 2nd, 6th, 1st 6th so if anything changing driver seems like a good thing.

Taylormade has a yearly turnaround on their drivers, most of the other brands are 18 months and 2 years.

I'm sure McIlroy comes under particular pressure being one of the best drivers on tour. It would reflect badly on TaylorMade if he wasn't using their latest driver.

Here's my feel of the likelihood of Rory winning another major....he may win one, or more than one.

But the next one he wins he's very unlikely to win it against the odds, or coming out of the pack late Sunday. It's much more likely where he plays great, gets a lead, everything goes great first 3 days and nobody else shoots the lights out. And he stand on 1st tee round 4 feeling great, with zero pressure.

If that happens, I can see him winning more majors in all sorts of circumstances after that, but the next one is key.

The sad thing is he has potential for more in him and i believe if he can get one soon the floodgates could open. But as you say getting over this particular slump is everything. He could end up not winning one again if this slump becomes a mental issue for him.

I'd love to see him go on a tear of majors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Taylormade has a yearly turnaround on their drivers, most of the other brands are 18 months and 2 years.

I'm sure McIlroy comes under particular pressure being one of the best drivers on tour. It would reflect badly on TaylorMade if he wasn't using their latest driver.

I’m not disputing that. I’m sure his tour model Sim2 can be specced to be an effective carbon copy of whatever he wants anyway.

Your point though was that Rory changing driver every year wasn’t doing him any good. My point was that it’s standard amongst the top players and based on the numbers it doesn’t look to have any negative impact on his driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

All major brands release a new lineup yearly now. Taylormade, Callaway, Titleist, Cobra, Ping, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭bamayang

It’s hardly like he has to take a new driver off the shelf in McGuirks every year whether he likes it or not.
    I would presume if he said to TM, hey last years driver is my favourite ever, they’ll change the badge on it and make it look like the new version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

All over the place off the tee but somehow leads

• Advertisement

Fair play to Rory for getting it back on track. The head could have went down and fallen further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

All over the place off the tee but somehow leads

Probably because he is an exceptionally talented golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Probably because he is an exceptionally talented golfer.

Needs to show it more then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just checked in - first golf I've watched in a while.

First putt I seen Rory hit this year- genuinely wouldn't be out of place in a 4 ball at the club medal. But he is 11 under - so 1 shot in a year is a very bad sample. :D

Mimon wrote: »
    Needs to show it more then so.

106 weeks at world number one, fourth on the all time list, suggests that he does.

490 yard par 4 - jaysus lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

106 weeks at world number one, fourth on the all time list, suggests that he does.

His underachieving would suggest he has the talent but doesn't show it enough hence my point.

He's had a good career by normal standards but he was touted as the next best thing after Tiger and hasn't delivered anything close to that.

His underachieving would suggest he has the talent but doesn't show it enough hence my point.

He's had a good career by normal standards but he was touted as the next best thing after Tiger and hasn't delivered anything close to that.

Tiger Woods is a once in a generation talent, the best golfer since Jack Nicklaus. Rory has no control over how he was hyped.Anyone who argues that McIllroy isn't an exceptional golfer is talking a load of TopFlite XLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭munster87

Tiger Woods is a once in a generation talent, the best golfer since Jack Nicklaus. Rory has no control over how he was hyped.Anyone who argues that McIllroy isn't an exceptional golfer is talking a load of TopFlite XLs.

He was exceptional for a number of years in fairness.

• Advertisement

I don't think any golfer would disagree that Rory has underachieved. But the interesting thing with Rory - he didn't want to be like Tiger. He seemed to want a more normal life. He has said that.

Tiger is actually a head case. Rory wanted a more rounded life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement