Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

neddynasty wrote: »
    Judging by the standards he's held to on this forum he is a disgrace this weekend!! 54 holes played and only -13. To match his talent, he should at least be birdieing every second hole and never ever have a bogey. He should be at -27 at this stage minimum. I just can't watch him wasting his talent any further!! :p
    abff wrote: »
    Jaysus lads! Some of the comments here having a go at Rory and so far over the top that you have to wonder if they’re serious or just g*b****es trolling.

Doubters will continue to doubt (that he has the mental fortitude to go with his golfing talent), supporters will continue to support (cause he is so brilliant to watch when he does play well and of course, he was born on this island), and Mcillroy will continue to blow tournaments he is well placed to win (but it’s ok cause he had a top 5/10 finish so he’ll stay near the top of the ranking and his stats look good)

In short, normal service has resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭chalky_ie

Himself and Fleetwood are proper tournament bottlers nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Hatton went out and won that tournament. McIlroy didn't play well enough to keep up with him. Its disservice to Hatton to say McIlroy bottled it and that he didn't deserve the win

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

paulie21 wrote: »
    Hatton went out and won that tournament. McIlroy didn't play well enough to keep up with him. Its disservice to Hatton to say McIlroy bottled it and that he didn't deserve the win

I thought Rory was going to need a 67 to win it, but that wouldnt have happened. All credit to Hatton on that round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

blue note wrote: »
    I think he's really matured since the end of last year. This isn't form, it's permanent. I don't think he'll get to tigers number of majors, but he'll definitely get into double figures now.

The only thing that seems to be permanent is him not been able to finish off tournaments. No one will get to 15 majors nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    Doubters will continue to doubt (that he has the mental fortitude to go with his golfing talent), supporters will continue to support (cause he is so brilliant to watch when he does play well and of course, he was born on this island), and Mcillroy will continue to blow tournaments he is well placed to win (but it’s ok cause he had a top 5/10 finish so he’ll stay near the top of the ranking and his stats look good)

Maybe it has , for now anyway . He evidently still has the game to win though , and he will win again , that’s what makes him so fascinating ( albeit frustrating ) to watch
    Being in the mix pretty much every time he tees it up makes it hard not to win at some stage

Hatton winning doesn't really have anything to do with McIlroy bottling it, if McIlroy had finished on -17, I wouldn't have said that. Playing as badly as he did, while being 2 shots ahead at one point, is what makes him a bottler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

He also wins quite a lot of tournaments. Top 5/10 are finishes are the regular for him, more regular than most but wins are also rather frequent, again more frequent than most.

Do we forget that he won PGA Player of the year in 2019 having had 3 wins on tour?

2020 was a rather unusual year so it really hasn't been that long since we saw him at a very high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I cant believe I didnt put some money on Hatton last night. With the other two main competitors being Fleetwood and Rory it was basically free money.

Edit: I guess many Rory fans here. Just looking at my post there this may seem I came here to rile people up. Sorry if I did, didnt mean to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Russman

I don’t want to offend anyone, but anyone who says a top touring pro is a bottler doesn’t know much about golf and the nature of the game imho. It’s not a sport that you can decide to play well on a given day. I’m not saying players don’t have nerves or don’t lose focus, it’s just a very cheap, insulting remark to throw at anyone. A little bit of luck is also a requirement to win most weeks. Look at the lengthy putts Hatton held on 9 & 10 - wonderful touch but pure luck when they actually go in from that range (at any level of the game). Just like Rorys eagle yesterday, also pure luck. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out for you. Was Jack a bottler for his 19 second places in Majors ? Is Harrington a bottler for a heap of second places alongside his regular and Major wins ? Golf is hard.

Fair play to Hatton for going out and winning it. I don’t like him but he got the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Russman wrote: »
    I don’t want to offend anyone, but anyone who says a top touring pro is a bottler doesn’t know much about golf and the nature of the game imho. It’s not a sport that you can decide to play well on a given day. I’m not saying players don’t have nerves or don’t lose focus, it’s just a very cheap, insulting remark to throw at anyone. A little bit of luck is also a requirement to win most weeks. Look at the lengthy putts Hatton held on 9 & 10 - wonderful touch but pure luck when they actually go in from that range (at any level of the game). Just like Rorys eagle yesterday, also pure luck. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out for you. Was Jack a bottler for his 19 second places in Majors ? Is Harrington a bottler for a heap of second places alongside his regular and Major wins ? Golf is hard.

Fair play to Hatton for going out and winning it. I don’t like him but he got the job done.

Hatton is a complete clown - and anyone up for Hatton instead of Rory - would want to have a serious chat with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Hatton is a complete clown - and anyone up for Hatton instead of Rory - would want to have a serious chat with themselves.

A bit harsh on poor old Tyrell , for all you know he could be a great lad , appearances can sometimes be deceiving

I cant believe I didnt put some money on Hatton last night. With the other two main competitors being Fleetwood and Rory it was basically free money.

Edit: I guess many Rory fans here. Just looking at my post there this may seem I came here to rile people up. Sorry if I did, didnt mean to.

You do have a point. He clearly hasn’t been at his best since the shutdown last March, and will probably always tend towards the inconsistent & mercurial rather than the blinkered grinder. He just needs his “on” weeks to coincide with the majors rather than the Canadian Open ! I’m a fan but I hope not a blinkered one. He’s not above criticism, I just hate the term bottler being thrown around to be honest, at any player. It’s just nasty and begrudging. I know you didn’t use it !

He drives me nuts, seen him putt about a 20 footer yesterday and it missed by about 2 or 3 inches. He was leaning back looking to the sky and groaning about the putt not going in. If its not perfection he is moaning.

He drives me nuts, seen him putt about a 20 footer yesterday and it missed by about 2 or 3 inches. He was leaning back looking to the sky and groaning about the putt not going in. If its not perfection he is moaning.

He’s one of the biggest ****** on tour. Then you have sky making fun of it yesterday. That’s not bad enough they’re have Matt Wallace in the skit too. The lad treated his caddie like dirt live on tv.

Well done sky.

Hatton is a class golfer but **** me he is horrendous to watch. Pissing and whinging like a child. He’s near top 5 now Maybe?? I’d love to have seen him up against Tiger on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

rooney30 wrote: »
    A bit harsh on poor old Tyrell , for all you know he could be a great lad , appearances can sometimes be deceiving

It is his actions ..not look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

We'll see if the thumbs up changes him. Was funny the skit that they did with Matt Wallace saying nice things to his caddies

Rikand wrote: »
    We'll see if the thumbs up changes him. Was funny the skit that they did with Matt Wallace saying nice things to his caddies

Yeah hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Why isn't Mclroy going out on the final day to win like Hatton did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Sorry but loser mentality. Real champions go out there and make things happen.

• Advertisement

Can you honestly say Rory hasn't turned into a bottler in the last 5 years? I mean, it's a throwaway comment, I'm not insulting his family, but he's clearly lost some nerve when it matters most. There have been countless examples of it, I personally wasted my one and only day at the masters following him while he did it a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

To be fair I think he's gone so long without a major now it's almost like he needs to get the monkey off his back all over again.

If and (I believe when) that happens he will win 2-3 more in the space of a couple of years.

That will be his lot then given the stream of polished amateurs flowing into the pro game now.

USPGA at Kiawah again this year and he has the game to perform at Augusta. So this could be the year it clicks....

For me (golfer on the couch), he needs to go out without fear like he did when he came on the scene first.
    Seems to be trying to big himself up all the time in the media.
    I'm trying this now, I'm trying that next week....

A load of balls, if he just forgot all that ****e and went out and attacked the courses in front of him I feel it would benefit him more.
    He's too honest, has too much to say.... but on his day is unbeatable.

conor-w wrote: »
    Can you honestly say Rory hasn't turned into a bottler in the last 5 years? I mean, it's a throwaway comment, I'm not insulting his family, but he's clearly lost some nerve when it matters most. There have been countless examples of it, I personally wasted my one and only day at the masters following him while he did it a few years ago!

I’d suggest that in the last 5 years his 8 wins, including 2 Tour Championships, a WGC and a Players, plus 2 FedEx Cups might indicate he’s not.
    I agree he’s not performed at the Majors and I suspect the Masters he threw away to Reid was important, but bottler ? No, not for me anyway.

If I was ever lucky enough to go to Augusta I’d never regard it a waste :D must have been quite an experience !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,140 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

djr15 wrote: »
    To be fair I think he's gone so long without a major now it's almost like he needs to get the monkey off his back all over again.

If and (I believe when) that happens he will win 2-3 more in the space of a couple of years.

That will be his lot then given the stream of polished amateurs flowing into the pro game now.

USPGA at Kiawah again this year and he has the game to perform at Augusta. So this could be the year it clicks....

For me (golfer on the couch), he needs to go out without fear like he did when he came on the scene first.
    Seems to be trying to big himself up all the time in the media.
    I'm trying this now, I'm trying that next week....

A load of balls, if he just forgot all that ****e and went out and attacked the courses in front of him I feel it would benefit him more.
    He's too honest, has too much to say.... but on his day is unbeatable.

I doubt he can really come out and downplay his chances too much. I'd say he'd love to not have media responsibilities so he can just rock up to a tournament and do exactly what you say. Pity that being one of the biggest names in the game doesnt get afforded that luxury

Mushy wrote: »
    I doubt he can really come out and downplay his chances too much. I'd say he'd love to not have media responsibilities so he can just rock up to a tournament and do exactly what you say. Pity that being one of the biggest names in the game doesnt get afforded that luxury

I’m sure the hundreds of millions he has made in sponsorship and tournament payments inflated by media coverage, soften the blow of “media responsibilities”.

I’d suggest that in the last 5 years his 8 wins, including 2 Tour Championships, a WGC and a Players, plus 2 FedEx Cups might indicate he’s not.
    I agree he’s not performed at the Majors and I suspect the Masters he threw away to Reid was important, but bottler ? No, not for me anyway.

If I was ever lucky enough to go to Augusta I’d never regard it a waste :D must have been quite an experience !

Agree to disagree then! I personally think nobody is going to care about his tour championship wins in 20 years, he's the probably the most talented golfer on the planet and has thrown away so many major opportunities in recent times. The wins you talk about, while impressive, aren't comparable to majors(in terms of pressure).

Agree to disagree then! I personally think nobody is going to care about his tour championship wins in 20 years, he's the probably the most talented golfer on the planet and has thrown away so many major opportunities in recent times. The wins you talk about, while impressive, aren't comparable to majors(in terms of pressure).

Agree totally, does anyone care about the tour comps Tiger, Jack, Greg, Nick, Seve won? I bet most would struggle to tell you how many/which ones they won, majors are the currency the big boys deal in.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

Agree totally, does anyone care about the tour comps Tiger, Jack, Greg, Nick, Seve won? I bet most would struggle to tell you how many/which ones they won, majors are the currency the big boys deal in.

I'd wager for 95% of pro golfers would take winning 1 fed ex over 1 major given the financial difference.
    (the older system normally meant winning the tour championship meant winning the fed ex not always the case anymore so i guess the tour championship is more like a regular even now - limited field apart.)

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-joel-dahmen-is-the-best-interview-on-the-pga-tour

For the absolute elite though they want majors as they have no financial worries.
    For me these elite are judged differently with majors being the measure of success.

Makes me wonder if the Tour Championship/Fed Ex needs to be altered so the financial gains are spread out over tour events instead.

The link above is an interesting read BTW.

I don't disagree with any of that. Its Majors that the greats are judged by, and by any measure Rory has under achieved in the last 5 years. I wouldn't deny that for a second.
    I think the other big wins show he can still get the job done quite often when he has a chance, and he mostly hasn't been giving himself chances. Of all his top 10s in Majors, off the top of my head I can't think of all that many where he was realistically in the hunt on the Sunday. I'm sure there were some, Reid's Masters definitely, and maybe Molinari's Open but even then Molinari still had the downwind par 5 to play, so maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Rory has a massive advantage when it comes to tour championships in that another 15 million dollars means **** all

To even the most successful of the other golfers 15 million is life changing compared to wealth. ie doubling wealth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement