Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Guys when are we realistically expecting the gyms to reopen then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

SeanJ09 wrote: »

I'm bracing myself for the end of February but hopefully it'll be sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

SeanJ09 wrote: »

There's still talk about stalling other primary services like schools, until March/April, so I could see it being that long.

Also for what it's worth, I have been stock piling the 5litre water jugs from lidl. I bought a wooden vroom from woodies and removed the head, and use paracord to hang the water jugs for crude, improvised weight training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

JeffKenna wrote: »

I hope you are right! Schools and construction are clearly priority 1. Non essential retail and gyms are clearly priority 2. Schools are apparently "50/50" to reopen in February (Sunday Independent citing Gov). If schools reopen in early or mid Feb then maybe gyms and non essential retail will reopen on 1 March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JeffKenna wrote: »

Brace harder...I don't think there's a chance it'll be open by the end of Feb as much as I'd like it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Brace harder...I don't think there's a chance it'll be open by the end of Feb as much as I'd like it to be

Agreed. March at the earliest and that's post Paddy's day as they'll be opening them with the restaurants and won't want people doing the dog on it that day

We might get gyms with non essential retail before restaurants IMO. Loads of restaurants were a sh1tshow & they facilitated groups of over 6.
    We all saw plenty of it on instagram etc.

Augeo wrote: »
    We might get gyms with non essential retail before restaurants IMO. Loads of restaurants were a sh1tshow & they facilitated groups of over 6.
    We all saw plenty of it on instagram etc.

Agreed but to people that don't use gyms, they are a bigger threat.

A lot of what they might or might not do is predicated on the numbers. They reopened for December way off the <100 cases/day.

How much compliance there is with restrictions...impact of UK variant...level of vaccinations etc etc....they will all shape the numbers and when things might start to reopen. But after 6 weeks and from a much lower base, it was nowhere near where it should have been so I can't see much relaxation before March. They'll get numbers down to allow schools back...watch that and then see how things go.

Easter will be done 3 weeks after Patrick's Day so after that would be my finger-in-the-air guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Augeo wrote: »
    At the mention of no room for a bench I immediately thought of press ups. If you can't weight train there's huge options with body weight.

Sprinters do body weight exercises for their legs.... Worth looking at maybe..... As you say though there's opportunity for cardio work.

That said, ive little enough interest in doing much the last two weeks myself :D

Looking at picking up a weighted vest, I see them in Elverys, adding this to the cardio / toning sessions should give me some opportunity to work the muscles a bit more.
    Reading the below thoughts on when the gyms will open just make me think I have to try a little harder and moan about it a little less =)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Looking at picking up a weighted vest, I see them in Elverys, adding this to the cardio / toning sessions should give me some opportunity to work the muscles a bit more.
    Reading the below thoughts on when the gyms will open just make me think I have to try a little harder and moan about it a little less =)

I got one of those weighted vest from Elverys & a pull up bar also. They are both good.

I have PM'd you an Elverys discount code for your purchase :)

I've been guilty myself of moaning also.

Either the gyms were open & I was training non-stop & eating clean, or the gyms were closed & I was at home eating ****e, doing nothing & feeling sorry for myself waiting for the gyms to open again.

Now that they're closed indefinitely & there's no concrete date there with regards when they'll open again, it's very much time to draw the line & just get over it & adapt for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Either the gyms were open & I was training non-stop & eating clean, or the gyms were closed & I was at home eating ****e, doing nothing & feeling sorry for myself waiting for the gyms to open again.

Now that they're closed indefinitely & there's no concrete date there with regards when they'll open again, it's very much time to draw the line & just get over it & adapt for the time being.

That's basically me in a nutshell.

I did hardly any exercise in March, April & May of last year. I finally pulled the finger out in June & July and started running & cycling. Then I was in the gym 5 days per week for August, September & October. I didn't do anything in November. Back in the gym in December. And I haven't lifted a finger so far this month :(
    I just need to get my a*se in gear and get moving again

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I got one of those weighted vest from Elverys & a pull up bar also. They are both good.

I have PM'd you an Elverys discount code for your purchase :)

I've been guilty myself of moaning also.

That's was very good of you and thanks, unfortunately I never checked back on to boards and missed the code!!

But... it wasn't too expensive and hopefully will do the job.

Just got an email that my Flyefit membership pause has been automatically extended until the end of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just got an email that my Flyefit membership pause has been automatically extended until the end of May.

Hopefully just a guess on their part rather than a decision made down to information they've been given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭obi604

Basil3 wrote: »

and Paddy's day cancelled too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Walking is so good but it's such an inefficient exercise. Basically keeping myself going with bannister pull ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

"The Irish Times is reporting that the Government is set to extend the Level 5 Covid-19 restrictions until late February, with the hospitality sector to remain closed until late May or early June."

may seems a bit far tbh, I would have thought outdoor dining (level 4) by april. bit frustrating gyms can't open till level 3, and with the better weather coming into spring i doubt theyd give us the stretch to level 4/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I got a one time discount code for 15% off when I made a purchase on this site. If it's any use to anyone trying to fit our their home setup just pm me and I'll send it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

"The Irish Times is reporting that the Government is set to extend the Level 5 Covid-19 restrictions until late February, with the hospitality sector to remain closed until late May or early June."

may seems a bit far tbh, I would have thought outdoor dining (level 4) by april. bit frustrating gyms can't open till level 3, and with the better weather coming into spring i doubt theyd give us the stretch to level 4/5

Late Feb is too close to mid March which happens to be Paddy's day.

Not.a.chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

PM sent ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

anyone know where i can get an incline/decline bench nowadays?
    They're as rare as hens teeth as far as i can see!

tom1ie wrote: »

I think I saw decathlon were selling incline benches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think I saw decathlon were selling incline benches.

Sold out! Sent them an email to see if they are getting any in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’d imagine eBay or Amazon would have loads

Sold out! Sent them an email to see if they are getting any in.

I thought it was too good to be true with their ads appearing in my feed.on the plus side adverts and done deal will be flooded with gym gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I make you right there, and shortly after paddy’s day we have Easter
    Looking like it’s a long wait for the gym this year

Depends on how it's all going. Maybe they could open gyms and retail in March but still have hospitality and maybe barber/hairdresser restrictions as a first step in the reopening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Gyms to reopen March 5th or is that me fooling myself?

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Gyms to reopen March 5th or is that me fooling myself?

Looks like that's the best indicator we have at this stage.

Fingers crossed gyms and non essential retail open on March 05th. We were lumped in with them before, better to be in that category than restaurants etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Wasn’t it level 3 before the gym opened last time ? Level 5 until March with a review later next month so I can’t see us jumping from 5 to 3 after the last **** it at Christmas
    Hopefully I’m wrong

I think your right! No way gyms and non essential will be open by March. Sure not all students will be back by then.

I think may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

It would appear to me that some gyms are already re-opened. Or never closed at all.

Either that or there's an usual amount of young lads in there early 20's walking past my house with gym bags on their shoulders and then reappearing from the same direction 1-2 hours later.

It would appear to me that some gyms are already re-opened. Or never closed at all.

Either that or there's an usual amount of young lads in there early 20's walking past my house with gym bags on their shoulders and then reappearing from the same direction 1-2 hours later.

ooohh quick, call the Gestapo..

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-jails-germany-clamps-down-on-quarantine-violators/a-56344226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

rusty cole wrote:
    ooohh quick, call the Gestapo..

Think I'll find out how much the membership rates are instead.

Gyms were given the opportunity on the last increased lockdown so I don't see why they wont be given that again in March.

This was on the run up to Christmas when everyone decided to run around slobbering all over each other in their sweaty houses over the Christmas break... it was NOT a gym issue then and I'm hoping this will be considered

Wasn’t it level 3 before the gym opened last time ? Level 5 until March with a review later next month so I can’t see us jumping from 5 to 3 after the last **** it at Christmas
    Hopefully I’m wrong

Opened at level 3 along with restaurants and non essential retail.. When restaurants had to close non essential retail & gyms remained open for a period.

I'm hopeful for March TBH but if course it might well not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah gyms were due to be open at level 5 last time as "non essential retail" so there is hope.

I think March 5th is an absolute best case scenario though. Brace yourselves for a longer wait would be my advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Started running and loving it.

Indeed, I'm targeting a 20 minute 5km over the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Started running and loving it.

(Sorry if this is off topic)
    There's a questions thread on the athletics forum that I found useful, just when you mentioned running above.
    I hadn't a clue how to go about setting up a plan for the week or loads of little things, would recommend checking it out if anyone else is picking up running with the gyms closed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Interview in todays Business Post (behind a paywall so can't link).

Ben Dunne saying he on course to lose 'millions' this year.

When he does reopen the changes implemented for COVID-19 will be long term (not sure why once we are vaccinated?), these include:

No more showers (seemingly 60% of his customers don't use them which i find bizzare, thought gyms and showers went hand in hand).

Fewer machines on the floor so they can be spaced out.

Fewer members allowed to join to manage crowds.

Assume he will remove swimming pools etc where he had them as they don't fit the budget model either...

Interview in todays Business Post (behind a paywall so can't link).

Ben Dunne saying he on course to lose 'millions' this year.

When he does reopen the changes implemented for COVID-19 will be long term (not sure why once we are vaccinated?), these include:

No more showers (seemingly 60% of his customers don't use them which i find bizzare, thought gyms and showers went hand in hand).

Fewer machines on the floor so they can be spaced out.

Fewer members allowed to join to manage crowds.

Assume he will remove swimming pools etc where he had them as they don't fit the budget model either...

Sure he didnt even bother his hole opening many of them last year at all. Have one literally right beside my job and had to go into town instead

How we still do not have a concrete roadmap to get out of level 5 is beyond me. They should be outlining what number of cases/hospitalisations are required to progress to each level. No dates, just say when we get to X cases we can go to level 4, when we get to X cases we can go to level 3, etc.

Also, anyone know what approaches other EU countries are taking with gyms? From what I see of my friends on instagram gyms in France, Norway, Finland and Sweden are seemingly still open currently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

DylanJM wrote: »
    How we still do not have a concrete roadmap to get out of level 5 is beyond me. They should be outlining what number of cases/hospitalisations are required to progress to each level. No dates, just say when we get to X cases we can go to level 4, when we get to X cases we can go to level 3, etc.

Also, anyone know what approaches other EU countries are taking with gyms? From what I see of my friends on instagram gyms in France, Norway, Finland and Sweden are seemingly still open currently.

Because it's been a **** show all the way through this, we have yet to have roadmap or plan that has actually been stuck too. It's always level X with amendments....

There will be very little happening until the majority are vaccinated so it depends how long that will take, one fella said 80% would be done by end of august and then he back tracked

But we can't stay at level 5 until then. The goal should be to gradually drop the levels as we go further into vaccinations. We managed to get into a decent position last summer without vaccines I don't see why this one shouldn't be better.

• Advertisement

DylanJM wrote: »
    But we can't stay at level 5 until then. The goal should be to gradually drop the levels as we go further into vaccinations. We managed to get into a decent position last summer without vaccines I don't see why this one shouldn't be better.

Varadkar implied level 4 with amendments from March 5th, which fingers crossed will include gyms.( probably in exchange for outside dining)

Luke o neil said he expected outside dining by june so probably amended level 4 march, April maybe may, then level 3 till everyone is vaccinated would be a good guess.

The new strains & the fact january had more cases than all of 2020 mean comparisons to do mean we have to be more cautious in fairness. We will only be returning to testing contacts this week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It'll be interesting whether the majority of cases being the UK variant means case numbers will be harder to keep down when we come out of the present strict situation. We'll see I guess. My prediction right now is that if we stay on track gyms will open at the end of March for individual training only.

I heard O'Leary on the radio talking about wanting international tourism back for the summer, once key populations are vaccinated. I think he's in la-la land but there's no doubt that the lobbying that is going to come on government from hospitality and tourism behind closed doors is going to be savage as we head into the summer months.

I'm optimistic for March, if things improve like they did in Jan there could be options for gym reviews along with other ****e which I don't really care about.
    Doing HIIT sessions at home with a 10kg vest on is killing me but at least I get a "fix" of really difficult exercise that has some resemblance to the one I got from the gym... ish

It'll be interesting whether the majority of cases being the UK variant means case numbers will be harder to keep down when we come out of the present strict situation. We'll see I guess. My prediction right now is that if we stay on track gyms will open at the end of March for individual training only.

They're estimating that it's present in two-thirds of new cases now which is only going to increase and it's transmissibility is why they will (if they are in any way sensible) be very cautious about the timelines of reopening.

I just can't help but feel that they will look at how things progress with schools fully open and some construction activity restarted before they start anything else and it might be after Easter.

ETA: with the supposed ramping up of vaccinations from April, they will likely be holding out until April on for a lot of things.

^^^ 100% this Alf
    The schools and construction will be a test as it were and if numbers peak again it will be scaled back again

When they allowed the gyms to stay open during the level 4 hike I had hoped that nphet/govt had started giving consideration to the value of gyms to public health, and that this would shape policy coming out of the current level 5.
    But as was said here, with the amount of leap frigging and back tracking the situation is impossible to read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement