Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Trust me even for the under 60s and potentially the under 70s!

My parents are not watch RTÉ as much anymore, I say they are watching UKTV, Discovery channels (GOLD, Yesterday, Quest, Quest RED etc), TG4 and my Dad likes action movies so Great TV!, they watch RTÉ for the NEWS and Dad for live sport, that is about it. Mam still watches TLLS but Dad he's not a fan, heads to the GAA club. They are both in the late 70s.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 81,381 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Make sure they are not still paying the TV licence, lots of people unaware of the free licence with household benefits package for over 70's, it's not means tested...

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/household_benefits_package.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

The difference is that Netflix and Disney are not public-service broadcasters (PSBs). PSBs have to cater for minority groups (e.g Irish speakers) as well as the majority - and I can't imagine Virgin Media providing many Irish-language programmes, to be honest!

they are not :)

@political analyst they don't but RTÉ do very little to even cater for minorities or majorities. Children's and Yuff programming is a good example of where RTÉ have cut, Drama and Comedy are also not being catered for from RTÉ, Irish Language while they must provide RnaG and content to TG4 outside of this they tend to do as little as possible.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Whaaaaat?... you mean to tell me you don't like to relax after a hard days work with "dying with dignity" or "mater hospital live" or "countdown to the top terrible diseases of the world" , what will make it to number one this year? Or "covid latest" to ensure a pleasant nights sleep?? 🤔

Post edited by ShamNNspace on

• Advertisement

I don't watch young people's programmes. As for Gaeilge on RTÉ One, there has been Scannal, Cad Faoi Na Tuismitheoirí etc.

That's not the point weather you watch or not. RTÉ have cut back and yes I know what Irish language programming they have produced and broadcast.

______

Yesterday

You misunderstood me. The reason I said I don't watch young people's programmes was to imply that I didn't know enough about that type of programming on RTÉ to comment on it - I assumed that you'd be able to 'read between the lines'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You forgot pulling with my parents, sure isnt that what all 20yo's would like to do/watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Celebrity Pulling with My Parents was missing both celebrities and parents. The advert alone made me say 'nope-no thanks'. Only episode I watched was via the Irish Gogglebox, which isn't as fun as the British one. But Jesus, it was bad.

• Advertisement

You have read that in 2016 that they were moving it out of RTÉ, but that they were not cutting funding to Children's content right?

You then found out that they'd already cut it by 25% in 2016 from 2015, and that in 2017 the cut it by 50%.

And that funding in total remains around 5m but that the independent productions unit spent 4.2m on children's content or as RTÉ like to say just 1% of their total costs!

______

Yesterday

Did the moving of it out of RTÉ actually go ahead? Anyway, commissioning of independent producers isn't exactly a radical move.

The move to indo producers isn't a radical move, its the cuts the made which they said they would not make.

They basically kept indos producing content for RTÉ on the same footing and axed their inhouse production team with no increase to independent producers.

The cut something they said they wouldn't cut.

______

Yesterday

Those viewers don't get much of a voice, they are the weakest set of viewers. They have seen Irish children's content drop across the board, do they really care? Of course they don't because they are children and children aren't going to be like adults and say well we don't get this and that from RTÉ.

I mean your defending RTÉ on two ideas

1. I don't care because I don't watch and

2. Do children even notice that their isn't as much content as there had been previously, they won't complain.

Children's TV is of benefit not only to children but also to new people coming into the industry. Name anyone currently that has the same access to training as any of the hosts or producers or crew of Jo Maxi/Echo Island/Juice/The Den/The Beat Box/Pajo's Junkbox/FISH/TX/The Saturday Club or what ever had been produced more recently in RTÉ, that product doesn't exist anymore. So no time to gain experience. It doesn't have to be in house.

And its not just Children's TV. The judge in Anne Ropers case even signaled to RTÉ about up and coming TV producers not getting a chance because RTÉ axed children's TV, and not necessarly because they had too many people over the age of 65 still working.

______

Yesterday

The "I don't care because ..... " claim is not true. I've already made the point that I'm not familiar with the finer details of young people's programming on RTÉ TV. As for Irish-language children's shows, TG4 covers that. By the way, the issue of mandatory retirement is separate.

I didn't say anything about Irish Language TV children's content or TG4.

My point is, as is yours, that as a PSB RTÉ have various different services that they provided. however to argue that they services all of those areas equally and fairly is a falsehood, and I am pointing that out to you that one of the most important parts of PBS (children's content) RTÉ have largely killed off: -

Your argument is :-

1. don't know enough about it (even though I have laid out to you)
    2. Sure what does it matter its not like children will notice.

are you intentionally obfuscating my argument, in an attempt to pour water over it?

______

Yesterday

RTÉ argued that mandatory retirement at 65 was necessary because it allowed for junior producers to move up, the judge in the Ann Roper case then point to cuts in children's TV saying.

The WRC ruling also stated that "it must be the case" that the closure in 2017 of RTÉ’s young people’s programmes department had the effect of "cutting off the supply of young programme-makers coming up through the organisation".

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0108/1105173-rte-roper-retirement/

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In fairness Claire produced some excellent comedy at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

To be fair, it’s most likely come from her agent than herself.

Claire has 40 days holidays, she has plenty of time with her family and she is very well paid. RTÉ should be disappointed the lost Questions and Answers. She dropped it because she's unwilling to take a pay cut for the same amount of work.

But then RTÉ believe the are custodian's of Irish drama when not one drama was funded by them other than Fair City, while only one is an actual commission Smother.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

40 days? Is that all? Most of the NK Management stable get 50-60 days.

Not including Christmas holidays only the weeks when "Today with Claire Byrne" airs, so that might bring it up to 50. Same for tubs.

______

Yesterday

Claire Byrne's interview is bizarre and really only confirms my belief that she asked for a pay rise and didn't get it.

Perhaps she is hoping the new show will do worse than her show and they will change the day of CBLIVE.

According to her her day to day is as follows.

She cycles to work everyday leaving her home at 6am to get to work at 7am, for a radio show that starts at 10am and finishes at noon.

On Sunday she is away preparing for her Monday night TV, she returns home for an hour to be with her children on Monday afternoon and then goes back to Donnybrook (She doesn't say if she cycles back to Donnybrook, I doubt that she does) CBLIVE goes out either at 9:35 or 10:35 for a ~35 week run.

She continues to work on the TV show until Wednesday.

Now IMO she's made a decision to get to work by 7am and she's made the decision to cycle from her home.

She does not say when she leaves work, I assume around 1:30 to pick up the children at 2:30.

Again she has a 40 days of AL and Christmas off, that's 9weeks that she has to herself and her family, and again she is well paid, meaning she probably has the ability to have a very nice life with her family.

I don't believe her work life balance has anything to do with the decision.

BTW all of the stars of RTÉ have it just as good, to dress it up as "woo is me" is bizarre.

The interview seem to suggest that she's being presenting Today with Claire Byrne for the last 7 years, as we know this is not the case, and prior to that she had a weekend show.

I also saw another interview with her radio boss suggesting she woke at 5am every morning.

Also neither Claire Byrne LIVE or Frontline did as well as RTÉ seem to want to suggest.

https://extra.ie/2022/08/03/entertainment/rte-claire-byrne-tv-replacement

______

Yesterday

Dee Forbes interview is about as insightful as all the other interviews she has taken. She get's no hard questions and there is a certain belief by the interviewer that RTÉ are doing their best for Irish TV drama, when almost all of the 40 hours of TV are co-pros. She should have been asked what kind of investment is RTÉ putting into Drama excluding Fair City, you might find its around €3m and its unlikely that RTÉ will see any major return on that type of funding for sales of those dramas international, most of that money will go to the international players. The rest of it was about her time at Turner, a brief mention about children's TV and Industrial issues at RTÉ.

She finishes her term as DG next year.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

@RoTelly Cheers for the synopsis (some of that stuff was paywalled)

Re: C. Byrne - She's on c.€400k I'd guess since she got the radio show, so she can afford as many nanny's, au pairs, drivers etc as she wants. Those articles are just all NKM driven sh!te imo - lets face it, he has form. That picture above (comedy ref) sums up her TV show perfectly - The 3 in it are NKM

As for that other cabbage. Am I to believe that cash strapped RTE, only went and hired the RDS for their autumn launch? Great financial management and great optics. She doesn't give a crap and she never did. She just winged it for the 7 years. Where was she when RTE Gate broke? - in the stationary cupboard probably, for about 10 days.

Dee will swan off in the middle of next year with €2.5m of our money for doing jack s**t in those 7 years - To put that another way, a useful person (say a nurse) on €50k, has to work for 50 years to get that.

'Ms Forbes, will you come before the PAC to answer some questions regarding the many self-employed contractors that seem to have regular employee status in RTE?'

'Ah no, I'm grand thanks'

^ That's what I'll remember the freeloading tart for doing - sfa!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,381 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How does someone get a job in the state broadcaster as a continuity announcer without being able to pronounce the letter R, surely that would be in the first few requirements? Should stabilisers or baby changing facilities in the cockpit be put on Airbus 320's to accommodate wokeness?

Didn't Gay Byrne have an issue with folks being unable to pronounce their 't's'? It was either that, or they were either too harsh with the 't', or too soft 'with the 't'. Like 'later' would be pronounced 'laTER', or LAtER'... (trying to convey that via text is tricky).

Continuity announcers been weird for a lonnng time.

Speaking of voices, and also slightly OT. Who do you think will be the new presenter on Dancing with the Stars, and when do you think Lottie Ryan will get the job?

• Advertisement

It depends on how you pronounce it most Irish people pronounce R as OR while the rest of the English speaking world pronounces it as ARE.

I remember living in Canada and every time I asked about HR (HAITCH OR) one of my colleagues, without any Irony, would say "Who's Haitch Or?" so I had to say AITCH ARE

______

Yesterday

Advertisement