Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

Scythica wrote: »
    Good time for me to check in.

Live in SW England, and its genuinely bloody scary how mindset has changed due to this Cummings crap. People are now just following his lead and the Gov't don't have a leg to stand on to enforce anything but.

Nobody here seems to give a hoot now. Beaches rammed, parks rammed. We were going to have a BBQ this weekend (cheeky I know) but didn't due to a guilty conscience. Others on the street had people over and it sounded like a bloody Prodigy concert.

Pictures from Durdle dor beach make my skin crawl - that beach is a nightmare to get too at the best of times, never seen it so busy! And people cliff jumping on the 2nd day too!!! Absolute madness.

I've been in work the entire time, and there's definitely a feeling of fatique re: distancing etc which is hard to manage. We've provided masks etc for people who work in close proximity, and send people for testing as soon as there's a sniff of someone being ill.

We've had (still have) friends/partners/colleagues who tested positive, so it's very real to us.

There's a very good chance I won't get home to see my family at all this year, so it really frustrates me when I hear people whining about spending a week away from someone who lives down the road!

I'm not normally one of those guys but I'm now genuinely scared for what's coming in the next month or so.

Yeah I mean your articulating what seems to be the evident case from the media but I'm wondering what the end game here is. Won't there just be another lockdown if this spikes again? Is there any evidence that there won't be another wave?

The rush seems to be politically motivated but isn't this one of those things that's obviously going to blow up in a few weeks time?

It's a head scratcher. Are there travel restrictions between Ireland and England?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

IMO..

I think that (maybe getting a bit crackpot here), but all of this is to do with deflection from Cummings.

The man clearly is in the know of something and the wagons are circling to protect him. What that something is depends on how many different "sources" are actually sources and what is just drivel and conspiracy.

When it blows up in a few weeks time the narrative will have changed (protect the NHS, do your bit, stiff upper lip hurrah we're all at fault for going to the beaches).

Annoyingly - it's the people following the guidelines suffering the most as at least others are enjoying themselves!!

Frankly, people here just don't seem to give a toss, mixture of fatigue "f**k the establishment' mentality that's been brewing past few years, in general better weather; they have all led to people breaking the rules.

The Gov had to reduce the lockdown (it's not ended contray to popular belief, nor did it really begin..) to try and maintain some semblance of control over joe public.

I've not kept up on this thread as work has been manic; but over here - I've never seen so many people out running and walking in my bloomin life before! Is it the same over there?

No idea re: travel but believe there's little to no restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭clsmooth

London never locked down. It was never enforced as it seems to have been back home. I think the government decided on herd immunity as they stated originally and rowed back when they were called out on it hence the lockdown. Johnson’s speech a few weeks ago was basically ‘it’s in your hands now’. Stay safe as opposed to stay at home. The lack of a proper plan/roadmap was pretty evident. If you have a specific plan of relaxing restrictions in place, people are more likely to follow them as there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Not so here.

It’s either incompetence by the government or they have decided to continue unofficially with the herd immunity plan and if it fails they’ll try to shift the blame and say ‘we told you to stay at home and stay safe but you didn’t’. Was driving through the centre yesterday and it was like a normal Sunday traffic wise/people wise. People squeezing by you as before in shops and the streets. It feels like it’s already over here as Scythica says.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yep, same here. Ever since Cummings story broke the park across from us has been unbelievably busy. As in they host small music festivals there (kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand, Jake Bugg last year) and it's busier now than I've ever seen it before.

People were just doing what they wanted after Cummings so they've eased the rules to try to save some face, but it all comes back to him. Luckily my block of 6 flats has a nice big garden area and we're gated and fenced off so we can sit out and relax there cuz it's been freakishly hot over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

clsmooth wrote: »
    London never locked down. It was never enforced as it seems to have been back home. I think the government decided on herd immunity as they stated originally and rowed back when they were called out on it hence the lockdown. Johnson’s speech a few weeks ago was basically ‘it’s in your hands now’. Stay safe as opposed to stay at home. The lack of a proper plan/roadmap was pretty evident. If you have a specific plan of relaxing restrictions in place, people are more likely to follow them as there’s light at the end of the tunnel. Not so here.

It’s either incompetence by the government or they have decided to continue unofficially with the herd immunity plan and if it fails they’ll try to shift the blame and say ‘we told you to stay at home and stay safe but you didn’t’. Was driving through the centre yesterday and it was like a normal Sunday traffic wise/people wise. People squeezing by you as before in shops and the streets. It feels like it’s already over here as Scythica says.

Think this is pretty much nail on the head stuff. The late attempt at a lockdown was just pretence. They have always been following Cummings herd immunity idea, the rest is just a PR exercise. Sweden had the balls to straight out say it but the Tories don’t. When the second wave comes, they will blame the people for not using their “common sense”. They will also use this economic recession to cover up the cost of a no deal Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Do they know something in England that the rest of us don't?

It doesn't seem to make sense them easing lockdown with their current numbers - or am I missing something?

Nope. What is missing is any scintilla of brain in QuasiBoJo's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There are no cases around me now, but supposedly they’ll be opening up an air bridge to London to try and encourage some tourism in July, because they’re pretty desperate. That’ll be a good time to go home I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yeah I mean your articulating what seems to be the evident case from the media but I'm wondering what the end game here is. Won't there just be another lockdown if this spikes again? Is there any evidence that there won't be another wave?

The rush seems to be politically motivated but isn't this one of those things that's obviously going to blow up in a few weeks time?

It's a head scratcher. Are there travel restrictions between Ireland and England?

I suppose there is reportedly a very, very low incidence of the virus spread in the open air. Not no spread but not a lot. However once the window lickers and mouth breathers get a whiff of freedom, social distance will shrink to zero for a lot of them. Having the worst death rate on the planet over countries governed by the likes of Trump and Bolsonaro is proof of English exceptionalism in action. Making Britain Great again. England No.1 and proud. If there is a resurgence it will take up to 3 weeks to show and by then of course it will be rampant but hidden again. Murderers in my view.

How can a huge swathe of this country not see these criminals for what they are? I suppose millions of them think because an obese haystack blathers Latin and Greek at them, they think he must be a genius when in fact he is a lazy, lying, amoral oaf who is as dim as a broken torch bulb that would give a bag of septic pus a run for it's money.

Boris the Toad is running scared of the ERG who are gung ho to get the drones back to work and get the profits rolling back in. His masters will further brutalise what's left of the economy with bailing out of the EU on the 1st of July with no deal. These are truly the most stupid, most criminal bunch of morons ever to tread in the steps of many, may previous world class half wits in the Tory party.

As for travel restrictions, there aren't any.......yet.

I wish I could say on here the absolute outrage and frustration I really feel but decency prevents me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jeez jaco, tell us what you really think

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Scary that our neighbours have played politics with this Covid 19. Only takes one visitor and we could be back to square one.

On that bright note.................. Enjoy the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

OldRio wrote: »
    Scary that our neighbours have played politics with this Covid 19. Only takes one visitor and we could be back to square one.

On that bright note.................. Enjoy the weather.

Realistically though it doesn't.

The Virus had at least two weeks completely free access to Ireland when we were still shaking hands, going to sporting events, going on the pints etc.

It got quite bad here, but we were never overwhelmed.

Even with no restrictions and just behavioural changes we'd probably do a reasonable job at stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Some good news if it turns out to be replicated elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads, to distract you from politics, I need some help please.

We bought a bird feeder station and went to assemble it.
    It has four poles that screw together and when we put them together it was too high so we decided to remove the extension pole

However, when we did this the threads for the extension pole stayed on the base one so now we are trying to remove that but are stick

Any suggestions on how to sort this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Stheno wrote: »

It has four poles that screw together and when we put them together it was too high so we decided to remove the extension pole

However, when we did this the threads for the extension pole stayed on the base one so now we are trying to remove that but are stick

I'm reading this as the extension pole being stuck to the base? Or did the threaded part come off it?

What material is the pole made of?

So many questions. Support can't work with so little info. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Could be cross-threaded. Blunt force is usually my go to, long pipe wrench for leverage or a vice grips clamped on and a hammer/mallet to smack it to try and get it to move. Or you could use heat, blow torch ideally to try and get the metal to expand. You may wreck the threads on it though with any of the above.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The threaded part of the extension pole is stuck in the base the threaded part is plastic and the base pole is metal

And here's a pic

The threaded part of the extension pole is stuck in the base the threaded part is plastic and the base pole is metal

If I got the threaded bit off and could buy a replacement I dont mind damaging it

And here's a pic

If I got the threaded bit off and could buy a replacement I dont mind damaging it

And here's a pic

If it's just plastic a hacksaw blade might be the best bet and just cut it out if it's easily replaced.

If it's just plastic a hacksaw blade might be the best bet and just cut it out if it's easily replaced.

Thanks Squidge will give it a go, and remember my rule that the Oh is not to be let near anything DIY

on an entirely different topic, big protest in Dublin today supporting the George Floyd cause

Now while I do not in any way condone what happened to him, wtf are these morons thinking that they thought this was a good idea?

https://twitter.com/chloehanan/status/1267460515225272322?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can only hope that the virus has been suppressed enough in the community that there will no new/very little infections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I really hope so. The protest is all well and good but if it creates a spike in cases...

Professor McConkey of the RCSI thinks outdoor gatherings are relatively safe when it comes to potential transmission of the virus. So that's very encouraging to hear in light of today's protests. But is it still relatively safe if people were so closely wedged together like in those pictures? Who knows really.

Fingers crossed.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-house-parties-a-disaster-for-containment-efforts-1.4267769%3fmode=amp

Yeah the studies are showing that open air transmission rates are fairly low, but you just have to hope that people didn't take it as an occasion/excuse to meet up with friends and shake hands/hug etc. In fairness there was a lot of people with masks on from footage I've seen.

It's a wee bit disappointing that the original plan of it being a socially distanced protested wasn't followed but I don't think anyone predicted the numbers that would show up. Seems to have gone fairly peacefully without any groups causing trouble so far....

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Some good news if it turns out to be replicated elsewhere.

This has been all over the internet today.

Is there any good quality, verifiable and scientifically gathered information to support it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As Clegg posted, I do think the chances of it resulting in a notable increase of Covid-19 cases is relatively low but I do think they're f*cking morons.

From videos showing the march it appears to be mostly middle class, white youths who are about as far removed from the experiences of the black communities in the USA as possible. They have next to nothing in common with those affected and are jeopardising the health of those in their own country so they can partake show support to a cause I genuinely believe many of them have little or no actual interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Buer wrote: »
    As Clegg posted, I do think the chances of it resulting in a notable increase of Covid-19 cases is relatively low but I do think they're f*cking morons.

From videos showing the march it appears to be mostly middle class, white youths who are about as far removed from the experiences of the black communities in the USA as possible. They have next to nothing in common with those affected and are jeopardising the health of those in their own country so they can partake show support to a cause I genuinely believe many of them have little or no actual interest in.

Didn't go, but it seemed a fair amount of it was protesting direct provision, which I think is a reasonable thing to protest against and a reasonable extension an anti racism initiative that is applicable to Ireland.

This has been all over the internet today.

Is there any good quality, verifiable and scientifically gathered information to support it?

I recall the Chinese coming out with similar a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm not sure how a virus loses potency really.

I think the lockdown is working, that's all

Unless there are multiple strains doing the rounds, and then we've a whole other set of problems.

Yesterday they announced 66 new confirmed cases. Just 10 of those were from Dublin. Which is incredible considering its the major population centre in the country. Just have to hope they were centred around clusters/close contacts and that it wasn't circling around during today's protest.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not sure how a virus loses potency really.

I think the lockdown is working, that's all

Unless there are multiple strains doing the rounds, and then we've a whole other set of problems.

Mutation.

Advertisement