Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Not sure pal is right but they seem to be sharing a lot in common these days.
    Criticising Twitter. Travelling to moon. Against lockdown in individual states
    More think they're two twisted individuals with warped ideals that share some similarities

Think they've always been friendly. Wasn't he an advisor to trump early in the presidency?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    "Izzit cos I iz a lilywhite?"

Some posts deserve a spot in a Boards Hall of Fame.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is anyone a bit shocked at the scenes at protests in the US?

Its horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

In any other circumstance or time, you'd look at the scenes of protests in the states with moderate interest... But throw in the covid variable, where the protests themselves heighten the likelihood of the virus victim numbers spiralling into crazy numbers... It's into horror movie territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's mad to watch, but can't say it hasn't been coming. It's been stoked from day one by the current administration and the anger surely must have just been building and building. Not that it's just been coming the last three/four years by any stretch but the current bull**** from the White House is surely driving things to a different level.

Covid is just going to turn this into a bigger tragedy in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah we're witnessing the thinner end of the wedge now.
    An unfortunate cocktail of a country dealing with a pandemic, combined with a (perceived) racial killing by a white policeman.

The first requiring everyone to stay at home, the second calling on people to take to the streets.

And that's without highlighting the motivations of the president and his reckless proclamations.

Get your houses in order. Fallout from this is gonna be tragically epic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bazzo wrote: »
    Think they've always been friendly. Wasn't he an advisor to trump early in the presidency?

He got involved in the science aspect but I think he did it to help the sciences.

I don't know if they're friends, I would be surprised if they are as Musk is California based and Trump in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    "Izzit cos I iz a lilywhite?"

I can hear this in the voice over and over in my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He got involved in the science aspect but I think he did it to help the sciences.

I don't know if they're friends, I would be surprised if they are as Musk is California based and Trump in New York.

That was certainly the spin he put on it when he got a lot of backlash from his Californian base!

Maybe they know each other well or maybe they don't, in terms of the social circles of billionaires I wouldn't be surprised if they do. And this isn't the first time Musk has given us a glimpse of his true colours, he's just an awful lot better at hiding it(read: more intelligent) than Trump is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The scenes this morning from overnight in the USA are incredible. 10 states have called in the National Guard. The footage is simply incredible even of the calmest, most peaceful areas with the police responding with a massive show of force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    The scenes this morning from overnight in the USA are incredible. 10 states have called in the National Guard. The footage is simply incredible even of the calmest, most peaceful areas with the police responding with a massive show of force.

There is a clip going around in Minneapolis of shots bring fired by police in a residential area to scare people indoors who were filming from their porch. You can hear a shout of "light them up".

The use of guns is so casual. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s scarey watching it, not since Rodney King has America exploded like this. Trumps division politics coming home to roost. Lots of right wing agitators among the crowds too by all accounts. It’s going to end up with a lot of states under martial law soon. Trumps inability to unite people and calm situations is being really exposed here. Hard to see any end to it either, as the actions of some police forces are just fueling the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can’t wrap my head around some of these videos or understand what the motivations of the police officers are. There’s one where they just pull up and destroy the water/supplies of protesters in Louisville, I don’t understand what good that does anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

The pictures of the aftermath of some of the rubber bullets is vicious. Never would have thought they'd do that sort of damage. Also worth noting how the police seem to be going straight for head shots no questions asked. Some of the people getting hit are just innocent by-standers coming out of shops.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

DGRulz wrote: »
    The pictures of the aftermath of some of the rubber bullets is vicious. Never would have thought they'd do that sort of damage. Also worth noting how the police seem to be going straight for head shots no questions asked. Some of the people getting hit are just innocent by-standers coming out of shops.

Rubber bullets can kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

DGRulz wrote: »

There were over a dozen deaths in the north from rubber bullets I think, would have to do a little digging to find the proper number

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There were over a dozen deaths in the north from rubber bullets I think, would have to do a little digging to find the proper number

I can’t wrap my head around some of these videos or understand what the motivations of the police officers are.

They were small minded idiots and not that bright to begin with. Then they became police officers and were indoctrinated into us-vs-them and were given power and a sh*t load of military hardware and they've been itching to use it ever since. They're f*cking loving this.

The minority of the police force over there that don't fall into the bracket above are being swept along.

(Yes I realise it's not as simple as this, but for a large large number it's unfortunately accurate I suspect)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

awec wrote: »
    I don't think these are rubber bullets in the sense of the baton rounds that were used in Northern Ireland. From what I can see, these are more like paintball rounds that have pepper spray or powder in them. And afaik, fired from what are effectively modified paintball guns. That doesn't mean that they can't do a lot of damage. Paintball guns have reduced kinetic energy so as to reduce the chance of injury, these ones have a good bit more power behind them. And even the reduced power paintball guns can cause a bit of damage if you're hit in the wrong place. Like the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I don't think these are rubber bullets in the sense of the baton rounds that were used in Northern Ireland. From what I can see, these are more like paintball rounds that have pepper spray or powder in them. And afaik, fired from what are effectively modified paintball guns. That doesn't mean that they can't do a lot of damage. Paintball guns have reduced kinetic energy so as to reduce the chance of injury, these ones have a good bit more power behind them. And even the reduced power paintball guns can cause a bit of damage if you're hit in the wrong place. Like the eyes.

I think they’re using both.

I’d say any one of these cities’ police departments could very, very comfortably invade Ireland with some of the hardware they have out there at the moment. Luckily enough we’re not in the target demographic.

Atlanta Mayor urging anyone protesting to go get tested for COVID this week. How many of these people are insured and can afford a test in the first place?

• Advertisement

I think they’re using both.

I’d say any one of these cities’ police departments could very, very comfortably invade Ireland with some of the hardware they have out there at the moment. Luckily enough we’re not in the target demographic.

Atlanta Mayor urging anyone protesting to go get tested for COVID this week. How many of these people are insured and can afford a test in the first place?
    Any of the injuries I've seen photographed or in videos couldn't possibly have come from a baton round. The people concerned would be dead. One photo journalist lost the sight in her left eye. :mad:

Saw a tweet earlier this morning from somebody who'd spent weeks in hospital being treated for COVID. He'd photographed the bill from the hospital which was $840,000 and change. :eek:

Edit: here it is.

Insanity.

There is a clip going around in Minneapolis of shots bring fired by police in a residential area to scare people indoors who were filming from their porch. You can hear a shout of "light them up".

The use of guns is so casual. Grim.

https://streamable.com/u2jzoo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »

Rumour had it the old RUC used to put D batteries in place of rubber bullets in some of the dodgier estates in Belfast.

I saw them shoot rubber bullets into a mass brawl one night and the bang from the gun would have deafened you!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    Rumour had it the old RUC used to put D batteries in place of rubber bullets in some of the dodgier estates in Belfast.

I saw them shoot rubber bullets into a mass brawl one night and the bang from the gun would have deafened you!!
    Their intended method of use was to be fired at the ground in front of protestors/rioters and they would then ricochet and spin into legs or at worst torsos. They were soon being fired directly at people causing some serious injuries and (as pointed out by awec) 17 deaths. Incidentally, there have been cases in Iraq of police firing CS gas canisters directly at people causing lethal injuries. Bellingcat have published x-rays and photos of skulls with the canisters buried in them. The point being that some of these supposedly non-lethal methods of crowd dispersion depend on proper use to avoid lethality. Which of course pre-supposes that they aren't being deployed by hotheads.

Incidentally, Nick Waters of Bellingcat is cataloguing incidents of police attacking and arresting journalists. He's up to 29 so far after starting this morning.

These 'paintball' rounds pack a very hefty punch. Pretty shocking looking impact wound on this quy's head and obviously a serious incident. Can't post the instagram post here, but follow the link on Nick Waters' tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They’re using percussion grenades, paint balls, rubber bullets and sand bags. They have been stock piling military weapons being decommissioned from Iraq and Afghanistan for years. There have been some great videos of officers de-escalating situations. Some of the other videos would suggest a lot of the police should be locked up, not the rioters.

I see some of the pubs have found ways around the lockdown. Pygmalion was open last night to all intents and purposes. Playing music and serving take away drinks. About 40-50 outside and adjacent to it drinking in the evening. The landmark across the road from me is also serving take away pints and cocktails.

Do they know something in England that the rest of us don't?

It doesn't seem to make sense them easing lockdown with their current numbers - or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Do they know something in England that the rest of us don't?

It doesn't seem to make sense them easing lockdown with their current numbers - or am I missing something?

Good time for me to check in.

Live in SW England, and its genuinely bloody scary how mindset has changed due to this Cummings crap. People are now just following his lead and the Gov't don't have a leg to stand on to enforce anything but.

Nobody here seems to give a hoot now. Beaches rammed, parks rammed. We were going to have a BBQ this weekend (cheeky I know) but didn't due to a guilty conscience. Others on the street had people over and it sounded like a bloody Prodigy concert.

Pictures from Durdle dor beach make my skin crawl - that beach is a nightmare to get too at the best of times, never seen it so busy! And people cliff jumping on the 2nd day too!!! Absolute madness.

I've been in work the entire time, and there's definitely a feeling of fatique re: distancing etc which is hard to manage. We've provided masks etc for people who work in close proximity, and send people for testing as soon as there's a sniff of someone being ill.

We've had (still have) friends/partners/colleagues who tested positive, so it's very real to us.

There's a very good chance I won't get home to see my family at all this year, so it really frustrates me when I hear people whining about spending a week away from someone who lives down the road!

I'm not normally one of those guys but I'm now genuinely scared for what's coming in the next month or so.

Advertisement