Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

swiwi_ wrote: »
    What about a statement from the President that America has an ingrained racism problem, that it’s not acceptable and that it needs to change...

That would be tantamount to resignation. He's the acting Grand Vizier of American racism

Nickelodeon in America were running black lives matter adverts..and they went off the air for 9 minutes to show solidarity with protesters .... you know shít is getting real when a kids channel does this

That is so irresponsible

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone use an ultrawide monitor for work? Contemplating getting rid of my two 24" screens and just getting one 34" ultrawide but haven't really used one before so wondering if there's any snags to it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone use an ultrawide monitor for work? Contemplating getting rid of my two 24" screens and just getting one 34" ultrawide but haven't really used one before so wondering if there's any snags to it.

I like having the two screens so I can share stuff on one screen if I need to, while having sidebar conversations on another screen :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i use 2 x 34"

so handy

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i use 2 x 34"

so handy

Jaysus I didn't know they were letting NASA control the spaceships from home Syd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Jaysus I didn't know they were letting NASA control the spaceships from home Syd :D
    Nah, it's Elon Musk the cheap baxtard. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

much easier to hide behind ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/sweden-should-have-done-more-to-combat-coronavirus-health-chief-says-1.4269580

I assume that all those who were pointing to Sweden as a reason to loosen or lift lockdown in Ireland are now admitting that maybe the Swedish approach was not the best to take.

ps this is a general post and not directed at anyone in this thread as I don't recall anyone here saying we should follow Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Personally I find ultrawide nicer for productivity as soon as you get the hang of the hotkeys for placing windows (basically windows key plus arrow key).

I'm not a coder at all so for me it is just office suite, teams, outlook, browser, Spotify.

I currently have two screens with a 30 inch ultra-wide and a 32 inch 4k. I actually get a sore next from looking left to right, so it is slightly overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

https://twitter.com/dfriedman33/status/1267936203522932738?s=21

Well this is an... interesting development

https://twitter.com/dfriedman33/status/1267936203522932738?s=21

Well this is an... interesting development

Seen it on Reddit yesterday, explanation was that they were likely contractors from Blackwater as it's outside a federal government building.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Listened to a bit of Joe Duffy there. A rural publican is reopening early because of the BLM protests around the country. If they can break the restrictions why can't he etc etc

The thing that really struck me tho is that 4 weeks ago he suffered a heart attack and his son is the recipient of a heart transplant and needs to take immuno suppressant drugs. I have a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I would say listening to Joe Duffy is not a good idea in general.

I would say listening to Joe Duffy is not a good idea in general.

I get the feeling half of the callers would start off with "now Joe, I'm not racist but...."

I get the feeling half of the callers would start off with "now Joe, I'm not racist but...."
    I had a Katie Hopkins fan reply to me on Twitter with those exact words. :D

Drew Brees is getting slaughtered online by current and former teammates over comments he's made on the recent events. He's been an open Trump fan so his stance on not disrespecting the anthem/flag isn't a surprise.

Some Americans have such an unhealthy obsession with their flag it's unreal.

He doubled down on his stance after the backlash as well, I wouldn't be surprised if it caused massive turmoil in the Saints locker room whenever the season starts back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

He doubled down on his stance after the backlash as well, I wouldn't be surprised if it caused massive turmoil in the Saints locker room whenever the season starts back again.

It's amazing how so many like him refuse to try and understand what this is all about.

America is and has always been a project. A work in progress towards a more perfect union. That's what Kaepernick's protest was all about. To draw awareness to the fact that Americans need to be vigilant and always seek to improve America, not slavishly devote themselves to it.

Too many Americans have forgotten this and are too willing to rest on their laurels. Even the flag itself changes everytime they add a new state.

The flag obsession is so widespread it would make you uncomfortable. So, so many households fly the flag outside and at sporting events there is a huge amount of ceremony around the flag and the anthem.

Having lived there for a while I couldn't help but feel their nationalism is bordering on the cult like.

• Advertisement

The flag obsession is so widespread it would make you uncomfortable. So, so many households fly the flag outside and at sporting events there is a huge amount of ceremony around the flag and the anthem.

Having lived there for a while I couldn't help but feel their nationalism is bordering on the cult like.

You often hear them say "I fought for this flag" or "X and Y fought for this flag". Which I think is just their way of pandering to the fact that they've been engaging in wars for no real reason for the past few decades and the flag has become their scapegoat to justify it.

You often hear them say "I fought for this flag" or "X and Y fought for this flag". Which I think is just their way of pandering to the fact that they've been engaging in wars for no real reason for the past few decades and the flag has become their scapegoat to justify it.

Even just the pledging of allegiance at the start of school.

That in and of itself is a bit mad, no?

Like - it's no better than any other form of indoctrination.

The argument of "Why can't you protest peacefully" doesn't hold any water either.

Colin Kaepernick was driven out of the NFL for only kneeling and despite clarifying repeatedly that his kneeling was to highlight police brutality and had nothing to do with the anthem or flag. The worst thing he may have done was make questionable comments in support of the Castro regime in Cuba which would have made him unpalatable in markets like Miami.

The flag wavers don't accept protesting against them of any kind. It's a cult and very similar to the 2A preachers.

Even just the pledging of allegiance at the start of school.

That in and of itself is a bit mad, no?

Like - it's no better than any other form of indoctrination.
    I always feel it's a sign of insecurity or fragility. Fear even. When I see houses with the flag outside, I am reminded of the painted kerbstones and flags in Northern Ireland. At least there, it had a point (albeit an insular tribal one). In the US, it seems like a fear of being called unpatriotic. I often think that if one person puts a flag outside their house, the whole neighbourhood has to follow suit or be deemed unpatriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

The flag wavers don't accept protesting of any kind. It's a cult and very similar to the 2A preachers.

You can absolutely protest as long as your white and it's to keep your guns, or as we saw a few weeks ago because you want a haircut

b.gud wrote: »
    You can absolutely protest as long as your white and it's to keep your guns, or as we saw a few weeks ago because you want a haircut

Fixed my post! :)

Great interview on OTB on this subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbJG7XVxkq8

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I always feel it's a sign of insecurity or fragility. Fear even. When I see houses with the flag outside, I am reminded of the painted kerbstones and flags in Northern Ireland. At least there, it had a point (albeit an insular tribal one). In the US, it seems like a fear of being called unpatriotic. I often think that if one person puts a flag outside their house, the whole neighbourhood has to follow suit or be deemed unpatriotic.

I saw the same thing with these little "I support the troops" flags in Ohio. One business put them up so everyone had to put them up.

Seen it on Reddit yesterday, explanation was that they were likely contractors from Blackwater as it's outside a federal government building.
    Apparently they are from prison riot squads. Hence being from the DoJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone with a decent knowledge of graphics able to help me with this issue?

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AMLILXwFgt3UHmc&cid=37613539E6AF1526&id=37613539E6AF1526%2145464&parId=root&o=OneUp

I've been trying to Overclock my card a bit and it is a little unstable. This is warzone, occasionally all the textures go black (it wipes from right to left). I still have the HUD (as you can see) and in that case had those circles of texture.

When I got killed the killcam was fine, Gulag was fine. and I redeployed and played the rest of the game fine.

I can revert to default and it'll be fine, but it should be able to handle this and it would help.

Advertisement