Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Do you think it might be Conor McGregor's Proper 12?

:D

Has anyone here actually tried that? I'm assuming it is pure dirt, but I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Has anyone here actually tried that? I'm assuming it is pure dirt, but I'm curious.

It tastes exceptionally profitable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I asked one the guys in the liquor store about it. He has always steered me right when its come to whiskey and bourbon. He said it's alright when mixed with coke and ice and that it's even better when you just drink the coke and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A couple of my mates got it when it came out originally. Said it was a grainier, muckier version of Jameson that hadn't been let sit in the barrels for long enough. Couldn't drink it straight or even on the rocks but said it was alright when mixed with coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

troyzer wrote: »
    Obviously I'm biased because I despise Trump.

But I do think it's important for social media to realise their awesome power and be more responsible in addressing bull**** that's propagated on their platform.

If twitter actually cared then there would be no such thing as bot accounts. This is all just a PR stunt by them and I don't see how I can change my mind on that until I see an announcement to state that bot accounts are no longer allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How do people recognise bot accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    If twitter actually cared then there would be no such thing as bot accounts. This is all just a PR stunt by them and I don't see how I can change my mind on that until I see an announcement to state that bot accounts are no longer allowed.
    Twitter doesn't 'allow' bot accounts. They're not easy to pick up. There are all sorts of apps/engines to help identify them, but they're not 100% accurate. And then there are the 'sock puppets' which are used by real people, so don't necessarily trigger the detectors.

To actually stop the bots would require something like preventing anybody without a blue tick from replying or quote-tweeting a tweet (a favoured method of gathering followers and retweets). The bots would then be stuck to just tweeting to their followers.

Round two. The official White House account tweeted Trump's moderated tweet and has now been moderated too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Trump was on about shutting Twitter down if he could.....he can't.... but Jack Dorsey can shut Trump down.
    It would be a ballsy move.... but taking away Trump's platform would be wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Twitter have blocked the White House tweet too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Round two. The official White House account tweeted Trump's moderated tweet and has now been moderated too.

I have never used Twitter so could you explain what you mean by "moderated"? I understand the Fact Check link they put on a couple of his other tweets.

I have never used Twitter so could you explain what you mean by "moderated"? I understand the Fact Check link they put on a couple of his other tweets.
    It's a bit like spoilertags here. You can't see the tweet without clicking the 'View' button beside a warning about its contents. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's fairly simple. The moderators of any site such at Twitter or Boards etc. have specific agendas because of *EDITED BY MODS* which prevents users from *EDITED BY MODS* but of course they'll never admit that.

Round 2 Episode 2 of Twitter Wars: The White House whinges back.

There just isn't enough popcorn in the world for this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

I just want to know can the boards mods make Buer shut up?

b.gud wrote: »
    I just want to know can the boards mods make Buer shut up?
    They can. But they choose not to. We need to think about that. Think about it deeply. Very deeply...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Has there even been a worse president? Not in modern times in any case, I think there have been a few dodgy ones back in the day, but at least since WWII, Trump is an absolute joke.

I suppose making a judgement on that depends on whether you base it just on twitter presence or also include other factors, such as, say, how many hundreds of thousands of people have been killed and displaced by invasions of and wars against countries in North Africa and the Middle East.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I suppose making a judgement on that depends on whether you base it just on twitter presence or also include other factors, such as, say, how many hundreds of thousands of people have been killed and displaced by invasions of and wars against countries in North Africa and the Middle East.

It's not quite that simple tho. For example, the type of rhetoric that Trump engages in on twitter is inherently linked to the type of stuff we're seeing in Minneapolis at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's going on in Minneapolis?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mass protests and rioting, after the death (many would say murder) of George Floyd by police. Floyd was black and unarmed and cuffed when he was killed, you can probably guess the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Mass riots breaking out because of the protest over George Floyd being killed by the police. They arrested him after a shopkeeper reported that he tried to use a counterfeit $10 bill to buy something, led him out of the shop where he wasn't resisting arrest (which they've released the CCTV footage confirming), pinned him to the ground and then one officer knelt on his neck while bystanders filmed shouting to get off him as Floyd was screaming that he couldn't breathe. But they didn't loosen up until the paramedics arrived and by that time he was unconscious and unresponsive.

The officer that did it wasn't arrested or charged, still hasn't to date and the Mayor tweeted that if he could speak then he was obviously able to breathe, so people took to the streets in mass protest. Which unfortunately turned to looting/riots and burning places down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Trump threatening violence against these protestors is just the fix Biden needed for his 'you ain't black' gaffe.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Trump threatening violence against these protestors is just the fix Biden needed for his 'you ain't black' gaffe.

I think both candidates will do well to get any decent turnout among that demographic at this stage, a lot of anger at both of them in the past couple of weeks

I think both candidates will do well to get any decent turnout among that demographic at this stage, a lot of anger at both of them in the past couple of weeks

Let's see how well Biden can do a Bobby Kennedy impression later today. The false equivalence between "I assume you'll vote for me" and "I'm sending the army to kill you" probably needs more than a casual mention.

aloooof wrote: »
    It's not quite that simple tho. For example, the type of rhetoric that Trump engages in on twitter is inherently linked to the type of stuff we're seeing in Minneapolis at the moment.

Trump is worse imo.

With Cheney, violence and chaos were a means toward an end. An end that was naively assumed to be stable.

With Trump, violence and chaos are both the means and the end, as this is the only environment he can survive in.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Let's see how well Biden can do a Bobby Kennedy impression later today. The false equivalence between "I assume you'll vote for me" and "I'm sending the army to kill you" probably needs more than a casual mention.

There’s no equivalence. But it’s not a zero sum game. You don’t just choose who you are going to vote for, you have to choose to vote for someone.

If someone is just the least bad option for the African American community they could well win the majority of their votes, but the turnout will make it irrelevant. I think that looks the likely outcome there

• Advertisement

There’s no equivalence. But it’s not a zero sum game. You don’t just choose who you are going to vote for, you have to choose to vote for someone.

If someone is just the least bad option for the African American community they could well win the majority of their votes, but the turnout will make it irrelevant. I think that looks the likely outcome there

Why is Biden bad for African Americans?

Advertisement