Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Abuse?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

machaseh wrote: »
    Irish people are not a race.

Is it a ****ty joke to make? Yes. Did you react appropriately? No, just shrug it off and move on with your life.

The whole “can’t be racist because not a race” has gotta be the dumbest statement ever. it would make the Nazis - who didn’t kill non whites (except perhaps in battle) - non racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I've lived in London for nearly 20 years. Although quite a few come out with this stuff, most are in good faith ("Potatoes" etc) and are just looking for a laugh in return (Morris dancer etc). I am well able to deal with them at this stage but, occasionally, there can be a nasty person who won't stop at one comment and keep on going. Best to try and ignore it or call them out on it early on if possible.

I have seen English friends in Ireland get similar or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yeah the overwhelming majority of English people I've encountered who make jokes about the Irish do so in a good natured way, and everyone is in on it. And I hate - absolutely hate - anti English prejudice, which can be very nasty from some Irish folk (see the Ireland Simpsons Fans group) but there is occasionally that one asshole who is being a bigot. And it's not a bit of craic. And we don't have to be all "ah shur tis all in good fun" like the leprechaun guy in The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

What's funny about joking about the famine to someone you just met. If it was a work colleague or a friend then yeah, go ahead a good back and forth is great.

But some British person who I met on holiday cracking jokes like that. F**k off indeed is right.

Is it all of a sudden snowflake to not want to take abuse from a relative stranger from a nation that ruined your home country? And would still do it if they had their way?

You just enable people like that if you don't let it be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm all for taking the piss. Especially at yourself, you can't be too serious.
    But some of the cliche english jokes towards to irish are stupid. Like that Keith lemon as his "pooootato" word. Urgh. Sad and overused.

No different than americans making fun of the brits with that old time, 18th century "bobby" "gouv'ner" voice. Somethings just come off as sad. Doesn't mean you don't have a sense of humor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah the overwhelming majority of English people I've encountered who make jokes about the Irish do so in a good natured way

I mean, they are usually trying to be funny, but the jokes seem to revolved around potatoes, and the fact that we pronounce some things differently.

The association with potatoes is primarily related to the Famine, and I think we'll all agree that there is nothing particularly funny about one million people starving. As for the accent thing: would it be considered appropriate for a British person to make a a joke of how an Indian person spoke English? If not, why would they consider appropriate to make the same joke about someone from another of their former colonies?

(my questions are more rhetorical than at you personally, Raconteuse).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've lived in England and I find this attitude can happen but it's not ubiquitous.

The less people know about Ireland the more likely they are to rely on stereotypes of Irish people as backwards and famine or potato jokes (asking you to say 33 and a 1/3. It's a function of them knowing little about Ireland rather than intentionally bullying.

You only have to look at Westminster to see how little the average English person knows about Ireland. The ignorance is astonishing, not to mention the widely held misconceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

anewme wrote: »
    Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?

How is it racist when the Irish are not a race?
    Sooner people learn the difference between race and ethnics the better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Racial discrimination is described as “Racial discrimination is any discrimination against individuals on the basis of their skin colour, racial or ethnic origin.”

Also explained by a previous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Racial discrimination is described as “Racial discrimination is any discrimination against individuals on the basis of their skin colour, racial or ethnic origin.”

Also explained by a previous poster.

The term race reflects on skin colour! Always has. And always will changing it now to suit people is completely unethical. And because of that race has lost all meaning. Therefore so will the term racism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I’m not changing it. That’s the definition and what it covers.

Thanks to the poster for posting it. Made it a lot clearer for me.

Racial discrimination law covers travelers because of their ethnicity, not race.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What's on tonight's menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Gatling wrote: »
    Generation snowflake .

I remember serving pints in aUK pub wearing a balaclava given to me by a customer as a joke ,
    It used to make people actually laugh .

Generation snowflake say no be offended at everything

What generation would that be? I bet anything you and the OP are from the same generation... :D

The term race reflects on skin colour! Always has. And always will changing it now to suit people is completely unethical. And because of that race has lost all meaning. Therefore so will the term racism!

The sooner people realise that racism (also) applies to ethnic superiority the better. Certainly it did in the past.

I mean race doesn’t exist. Ethnic groups do.

Gatling wrote: »
    What's on tonight's menu

We’re all dressing up like leprechauns to amuse any british friends we have. Singing a song called Turty Tree and a Turd.

Arriving on donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,594 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Six English, one Irish and one Italian. How did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We’re all dressing up like leprechauns to amuse any british friends we have. Singing a song called Turty Tree and a Turd.

Arriving on donkeys.

Darby O Gill and the little people night excellent .

Mee Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Each country was asked to send representatives with a combined 3 digit IQ.

I think we answered that yesterday, Grandpa.

I love the air of incredulity here. As if there could never be a way that disparate strangers from different nationalities would get together on a tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

only Irish person
    Question the sexuality of their queen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Why didn’t you give it back you big wuss, I’m morto that you were our representative

• Registered Users Posts: 20,594 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think we answered that yesterday, Grandpa.

I love the air of incredulity here. As if there could never be a way that disparate strangers from different nationalities would get together on a tour.

I'm so old, I forgot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't think it's racist abuse myself.

If you listen to most boards users they will have you believe that a English white person can't be racist against a white Irish person because we are the same race. Both white. They use this to claim that they aren't racist against travellers because they are white.
    It's not racism as we're both the same race. There is another term for it - xenophobia, which doesn't get used because everything falls under the umbrella term "racism", which just dilutes the word. Travellers are the same race as us but they're not from a different country, so I don't know what the correct terminology to use is, but it's not racist.

Racist/racism are such generic terms and it doesn't make sense that they cover everything. There is a massive difference between an Aryan Brotherhood skin head who genuinely hates black people and wishes we could go back to the days of the KKK and someone who makes a joke in poor taste on twitter but gets doxxed and treated to a witch hunt which results in them losing their job and receiving death threats.

We need to expand on the term racism, like we do with assault and have varying degrees, appropriate to the context of what the person said/did. If someone hits me/beats me up, I may have felt they were trying to kill me but that doesn't mean they get charged with attempted murder. We have assault, manslaughter, 2nd degree murder, 1st degree murder*

We should have the same for racism. What the op experienced wasn't racism but it was uncalled for.

*I'm not of the legal profession so these terms maybe wrong. Just my general understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That would still be average or above though :pac:

Omackeral wrote: »
    That would still be average or above though :pac:

Indeed, but standards were lowered to allow the English to participate.

Kinda like pass marks been lowered in college courses to allow students to pass now when we all know all current students are way stupider than our generation was.

Watching the Bulgaria v England match here and there's really vile racism on display. Any time a black player gets the ball for England, the crowd are booing and worse. Referee has had to stop the game and the stadium PA has had to warn the fans to stop.

Hilariously, it's 4-0 to England and every goal has been scored by a black player or a player of black extraction.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Watching the Bulgaria v England match here and there's really vile racism on display. Any time a black player gets the ball for England, the crowd are booing and worse. Referee has had to stop the game and the stadium PA has had to warn the fans to stop.

Hilariously, it's 4-0 to England and every goal has been scored by a black player or a player of black extraction.

My UK based sister just texted me to tell me about that. She doesn't normally watch football and was asking does this go on all the time.

My UK based sister just texted me to tell me about that. She doesn't normally watch football and was asking does this go on all the time.

Bulgaria have already been sanctioned prior to this. Their stadium is operating at reduced capacity as a result. How stuff like monkey chants go on in Europe in 2019 is disgusting. Seems to happen beyond the Iron Curtain and the Balkans most prevalently. Spain and Italy have had issues with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭blackcard

Generally only got good natured slagging from the English when I worked over there. I used to tell them that when I left Ireland to go to England, the average IQ in both countries rose substantially. Had 1 lad come back to me the next day telling me I had insulted the English

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

blackcard wrote: »
    Generally only got good natured slagging from the English when I worked over there. I used to tell them that when I left Ireland to go to England, the average IQ in both countries rose substantially. Had 1 lad come back to me the next day telling me I had insulted the English
    That's brilliant :D

Advertisement