Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Abuse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Sounds like a Jeff from Peep Show type character, except he's from London/Essex?

Am I right?

Where's the holiday btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It wasn't a joke.

In a jokey context, most people can of course take a joke.

Don't be one of those Irish people who feels obliged to be ok with prejudice against us.

How many potatoes does it take to kill a 19th Century Irish man?
    None.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No he’s very upper class English.

Reminds me a bit of Prince Philip...just saying things out.

Holiday in Europe...activity holiday...bit of winter sun ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

anewme wrote: »
    One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”
    "Yeah, but your mother can only hold so many guys.."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ah I know it well, good spot.

• Advertisement

Ah right, so an old guy? Over 55?

parc wrote: »
    A right so an old guy? Over 55?

I’d say late sixties or more.

A good bit older than everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Ignore him. Don't let it spoil your holiday. Easier said than done, I know.
    He is just looking for a reaction. Let him off, the sad eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Make a joke about about the IRA bombs taking out a few of their army, about the Royal family, or indeed their backward attempts at leaving the EU.

Then you'll see whether it's banter or not.

Funny, I have a feeling this "joker" and his Irish apologists will be the first to accuse you of racism. Get over the 800 years etc.

Worth remembering this British guy is actually how a lot of continentals and North Americans view that country stereotypically, it is part of British culture to attack others, he sounds like he has poor table manners anyway, social skills and educational attainment.

I agree with an earlier poster, count yourself lucky we're not as hated as him and his ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

parc wrote: »
    Ah right, so an old guy? Over 55?

What? :eek::confused::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Portsalon wrote: »
    The simple answer is that I wouldn't - but I'd have no problem in firing back a couple of cutting ripostes rather than indulging in a flounce.

This! I remember working in a factory in England years ago and this eejit started calling me Paddy in a derogatory way, had to put him in his place and did. Had him nearly crying with how small I made him feel.

Eejits need to be stood up to and if the opportunity presents itself put them on their arse with a verbal riposte and these bullies will wilt like the small minded insecure people they are.

Make a joke about about the IRA bombs taking out a few of their army, about the Royal family, or indeed their backward attempts at leaving the EU.

Then you'll see whether it's banter or not.

Funny, I have a feeling this "joker" and his Irish apologists will be the first to accuse you of racism. Get over the 800 years etc.

Worth remembering this British guy is actually how a lot of continentals and North Americans view that country stereotypically, it is part of British culture to attack others, he sounds like he has poor table manners anyway, social skills and educational attainment.

I agree with an earlier poster, count yourself lucky we're not as hated as him and his ilk.

Thinking back now, He was trying earlier to bring in the Bloody Sunday Enquiry as well, but I did not react and someone else said something that changed the conversation track.

He's just a wanker.

Probably an ex-army guy

You only hear this type of stuff from working class essex people or ex-army guys over 55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

If you go on a boat trip you could always look across the coast and point to a hill and ask if it’s mount batten, wait for a moment and say how explosive the view is.

If you want to play his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Or do your best liam nesson impression

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Thinking back now, He was trying earlier to bring in the Bloody Sunday Enquiry as well, but I did not react and someone else said something that changed the conversation track.

WTF!

FFS, remind him of the Warrenpoint ambush so and that those "soldiers" were murderers.

He sounds like a thug alright, thick as two planks, again probably low social skills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?

Ask him how they are going to get around in Sunderland when Toyota move out after brexit,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

BDI wrote: »
    If you go on a boat trip you could always look across the coast and point to a hill and ask if it’s mount batten, wait for a moment and say how explosive the view is.

If you want to play his game.

Nah, Mortar the point , would go straight over his bigoted head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Well, considering both you and him are part of the human race, then no it's not racist.

It sounds like a joke to me, and you would be expected to retort with a slagging of your own, it's called having a laugh.
    He wasn't having a laugh though. Context varies
    Really?

Why would someone take offence if they place no value on the person attempting to give offence?

I really fear for society if every attempt to offend succeeds because people feel they should be offended.

Not to mention the utter idiots who spend their time being offended for others.

Good luck with your ongoing search for offence.
    Oh aren't ye brilliant some of ye with being so above it all.

Guy says obnoxious prejudiced crap to make the one Irish person feel uncomfortable, and people say yeah he was being an arsehole, instead of just saying bend over and take it.

I don't think you actually fear for society. That's the hysterical, melodramatic line that always gets resorted to by people whingeing about other people being sensitive (irony alert). Nobody is offended on behalf of others in this case, nobody is looking for offence. If people are rude to you, you'll get agitated by it. It's a natural response that none of us are above. Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?

A few ways to handle this.

The politically correct way.
    Tell the guide it is unacceptable and ask them to act.

The sensible way
    Make a note in your head and just be ready for this individual to show their true colours and otherwise ignore them. Focus your chat and interaction with others in the group avoiding this person.

The 'After Hours' way
    A - In response to donkeys quip. 'We did yeah, but for the last few years they've all been occupied in Westminster.
    B - In response to famine quip 'You could do with a famine yourself (replace directing the insult at him with one of his family members if necessary)'

The Thomas Shelby way
    Salute him with your drink and later, as he goes to his room, hit him over the head with a fire extinguisher and throw him down the stairs.

(I saw the Joker last night and my mind has been working in curious ways all day ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Raconteuse wrote: »
    He wasn't having a laugh though. Context varies

Oh aren't ye brilliant some of ye with being so above it all.

Guy says obnoxious prejudiced crap to make the one Irish person feel uncomfortable, and people say yeah he was being an arsehole, instead of just saying bend over and take it.

I don't think you actually fear for society. That's the hysterical, melodramatic line that always gets resorted to by people whingeing about other people being sensitive (irony alert). Nobody is offended on behalf of others in this case, nobody is looking for offence. If people are rude to you, you'll get agitated by it. It's a natural response that none of us are above. Chill.

I really don't think I'm the one who needs to chill...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've lived in England and I find this attitude can happen but it's not ubiquitous.

The less people know about Ireland the more likely they are to rely on stereotypes of Irish people as backwards and famine or potato jokes (asking you to say 33 and a 1/3. It's a function of them knowing little about Ireland rather than intentionally bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Gatling wrote: »
    Generation snowflake .

I remember serving pints in aUK pub wearing a balaclava given to me by a customer as a joke ,
    It used to make people actually laugh .

Generation snowflake say no be offended at everything

A bit craic. Why not. Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Irish people are not a race.

Is it a ****ty joke to make? Yes. Did you react appropriately? No, just shrug it off and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

look him direct in the eye and say *yer Ma*.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

With stuff like this, it’s a fine line.

I love a bit of inter-country joshing and light use of stereotypes. I have an Apu quote as a signature, complete with deliberate misspelling, FGS. The St. Patrick’s Day Simpson’s episode is one of my favourites. I think everyone should be able to laugh at themselves.

But somewhere that line is crossed and it can be hard to define where. Maybe if the person is going on about it too much, maybe you notice their eyes aren’t smiling. Every situation is different, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Would you not just spend the rest of the holiday feeding him mad stuff? Like, 'We don't ride donkeys because they're sacred in Irish Catholicism" and "We don't make light of the famine. People turned to cannibalism. there are still cannibal cults scattered throughout Mayo and Sligo to this day." He'll either believe you and be repeating it to Irish people in the future or know that you're mocking him but not really understand how. I'd say that's a win/win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Just say "yeah you're right, we're all on donkeys".

Agree with him, it will disarm him. Give him nowhere to go.

topper75 wrote: »
    A bit craic. Why not. Life is too short.
    This wasn't a bit of craic. The serving pints in a balaclava thing was a joke that gatling was in on. An entirely different situation.

No idea why all these Irish have to endorse the whole "just bend over and take it paddy!" thing. Dreadful inferiority complex.

Also this "snowflake" thing doesn't have to be used about *everything* - everyone gets bothered by stuff at times. Everyone. Including gatling.

• Advertisement

I really don't think I'm the one who needs to chill...
    You were losing your sh1t at the guy. Coming up with all this stuff that wasn't even being said.

Advertisement