Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Abuse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It sounds like the holiday to hell. With a "neighbour" from hell. People sometimes say holiday from hell. A holiday from hell would be a nice break.

Nope. Everyone else is lovely except him.

He’s been rude to the staff in restaurants, snapping fingers etc, no please or thank you, so he might be just a bit rude in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Gatling wrote: »
    Not recently registered and offended at someone's who's not offended .
    It wasn't a joke.

In a jokey context, most people can of course take a joke.

Don't be one of those Irish people who feels obliged to be ok with prejudice against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

He's just an all round prick so.
    Everyone in the group probably sees what you see if he's doing that to staff etc.
    Ignore the fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

anewme wrote:
    But would you actually say that in Company to a person from Kerry that you never met before?

If I had a kerry mate obviously I'd have to say it in front of him in banter. If he wasn't a mate I have good manners not to say it to him.

It was an ignorant comment. I can't deny that

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If I had a kerry mate obviously I'd have to say it in front of him in banter. If he wasn't a mate I have good manners not to say it to him.

It was an ignorant comment. I can't deny that

I met this person for the first time this morning and these comments were passed this evening at dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

anewme wrote: »
    I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

Well that showed him.
    You should have said shut your mouth you English ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Don't be one of those Irish people who feels obliged to

be offended .

Nah don't do offended life is for living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

be offended .

Is simply not seeing something as a joke "offended"?

The word gets misused.

Of course there are things you find rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

be offended .

It’s a bit odd not taking offence if people mean to offend you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Tomorrow will be a new day.

Unfortunately, you're more likely to be called a snowflake than be offered an apology.

"Change the record!" or "its no funnier no matter how often you repeat it". or something equally devastating is your best bet. (that's as devastating as I can muster :eek:).

Try to shift your focus to other members of the group. Only engage with the clown if he's being polite. Now, he might genuinely think its funny and not at all offensive. I've encountered this myself and just gave a pi$$ off response and turned my attention to other members of the group. Think they were mortified for the perpetrator. Of course, you need to be careful. If he's a skinhead, smile politely and agree with him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Shocking stuff in 2019 !!!
    We're only avin a larf Paddy. At least you're not a Kraut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Racist? No, he's just an @rsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

shutup wrote: »
    Well that showed him.
    You should have said shut your mouth you English ****.

Or tell him "It was our lads did the tarmacadam in the tunnel in Paris"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Edgware wrote: »
    We're only avin a larf Paddy. At least you're not a Kraut

Or a Scouser who would steal the wheels off your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Start tomorrow with nothing but English prejudice, keep it up all day and once he finally snaps, tell him that was but a portion of the 700 years... Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

anewme wrote:
    I met this person for the first time this morning and these comments were passed this evening at dinner.

As I said before ignorant comments. May or May not be racist but definitely ignorant.

I wouldn't let it ruin my day or holiday though. You'll meet plenty of sound English people too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Its amazing what can start a whole chat these days.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As I said before ignorant comments. May or May not be racist but definitely ignorant.

I wouldn't let it ruin my day or holiday though. You'll meet plenty of sound English people too

Yep the rest are sound so I don’t want to comment back with anti English comments as they don’t deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Generation snowflake .

I remember serving pints in aUK pub wearing a balaclava given to me by a customer as a joke ,
    It used to make people actually laugh .
    No it's funny as **** paddy Irish man in the British pub wearing his best balaclava

I'm glad that your tomfoolery provided some diversion for your betters, Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Well, considering both you and him are part of the human race, then no it's not racist.

It sounds like a joke to me, and you would be expected to retort with a slagging of your own, it's called having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here is a joke about a group holiday.

'A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse. "But why?" they asked, as they moved off. "because," he said "I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer." '

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When you stormed off they probably joked you had to leave early because you had to take the horse home because you didn't have a car!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

He sounds like an idiotic, ignorant asshole. Just try to ignore his attempts to wind you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭parc

anewme wrote: »
    Nope. Everyone else is lovely except him.

He’s been rude to the staff in restaurants, snapping fingers etc, no please or thank you, so he might be just a bit rude in general.

Where's the holiday, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

When you stormed off they probably joked you had to leave early because you had to take the horse home because you didn't have a car!

actually, if no one thought of it, anewme could use it first! That would disarm the twit.

" I didn't pay three and a half grand to listen to this ****. I'm off to feed the donkey!" Then later pretend its a real obscure Irish euphemism.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

" I didn't pay three and a half grand to listen to this ****. I'm off to

Boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I don’t know about donkeys but I bet you were on a singles holiday because you were tired of feeding your pony.

Wat wat, get it feed the pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It’s a bit odd not taking offence if people mean to offend you.

Really?

Why would someone take offence if they place no value on the person attempting to give offence?

I really fear for society if every attempt to offend succeeds because people feel they should be offended.

Not to mention the utter idiots who spend their time being offended for others.

Good luck with your ongoing search for offence.

“My people have a long, long history of murdering your people”, said deadpan while you lean back in your chair and stare blankly into the bottom of your glass, that should do the trick.

To ignorant fools like him we’re either thick paddies or terrorists. Change the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

@OP - I too have sometimes come up against this type of thing with Englishmen (invariably English as opposed to the rest of Britain, and invariably men) - the sly dig that can just about be passed off as "banter", the wink and the smirk.

I normally just stare at them for a long beat, and then give an (irritable): "I'm sorry - what?"

This shows them that you don't find it funny, and aren't indulging them. Also, at this point, everyone else in the room is looking at them, and they are unlikely to want to repeat their remark a second time, now that they are the centre of attention. Also, shows that you are unwilling to lower yourself to their level (also tbh it's hard sometimes to think of the witty comeback on the spot, thought it's true that Brexit has made it a lot easier).

Advertisement