Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

When I talked to the priest he also recommended the Accord course, but when i rang the secretary about the together course I was told I could also do that. They did say no to the Avalon course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I mentioned the together course and he said he'd never heard of it .... I might try the secretary on the avalon one as I've been onto the accord website and there are no available courses till September in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emmabarnes1980

Hi

Congratulations to all...
    Very happy to have stumbled across this thread.
    Getting married in Nov 2016...seems like a popular enough month :o)

So far we have the venue, the celebrant, photographer drinks reception entertainment, band and DJ booked.
    I haven't even thought about going dress shopping yet as I wanna loose a lot of lbs before I do.

I'm half thinking of getting a photo booth instead of giving wedding favors, I just don't know if this is mean of me or not??
    What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hi

Congratulations to all...
    Very happy to have stumbled across this thread.
    Getting married in Nov 2016...seems like a popular enough month :o)

So far we have the venue, the celebrant, photographer drinks reception entertainment, band and DJ booked.
    I haven't even thought about going dress shopping yet as I wanna loose a lot of lbs before I do.

I'm half thinking of getting a photo booth instead of giving wedding favors, I just don't know if this is mean of me or not??
    What do you think?

Personally I don't think not having favours is mean at all. They're an extra that aren't necessary at all IMO. So far we haven't budgeted for them. A photo booth can be great craic so I'd go for that if it's a choice between favours or photo booth.

We've booked our photographer this week and once we've decided on ceremony musician that'll be the last big thing to book. Need a break from all the wedding planning taking up my brain space!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emmabarnes1980

Thanks for the input and reassurance Shybride2016.

I took a break there from planning things for a few weeks and it was great, just what the doctor ordered. It can consume your whole life can't it?
    I'm going get a couple more things sorted next week and then no more wedding planning for me until at least September next year :P :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

For couples having non-RC weddings, would a non-religious pre-marriage course be helpful? Or just extra expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

Hi everyone,

another November 2016 bride here :) So far we have the church booked, band, dj, photographer, venue, favours........and I have my dress!

The plan for the forseeable future is just to save as much as possible and in December my bridesmaids and I are planning a shopping trip to look for their dresses. There are some lovely ones on ASOS but we are going to make a weekend of it and go to Dublin the end of December and try get their dresses or even some ideas.

Not sure when to think of flowers as not even sure what we want. But I do have some decorations got for the church so a few things ticked off the list so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

fannymagee wrote: »
    For couples having non-RC weddings, would a non-religious pre-marriage course be helpful? Or just extra expense?

Is there such thing as a non religious Pre-marriage course? As in, is there one that can be done if you are not having a church wedding?

Im def not going to bother with that. Dont want a church wedding so wont be jumping through the hoops they require, ie Marriage course.

andreac wrote: »
    Is there such thing as a non religious Pre-marriage course? As in, is there one that can be done if you are not having a church wedding?

Im def not going to bother with that. Dont want a church wedding so wont be jumping through the hoops they require, ie Marriage course.

Haha! No but somebody was looking for one on an earlier thread so I was wondering if there was any demand for them, or if that was just a very enthusiastic couple lol. Not formal ones, more like a deeper exploration of the relationship, or possibly tantra or something along those lines. Could even be fun!! Definitely no stuffy rules ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

fannymagee wrote: »

Didn't realise this existed

• Advertisement

Didn't realise this existed

I'm not sure if it does! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

It does. We looked into it. I still think it would be a good idea tbh. Contacted them but we never booked it.

relationshipsireland.com

We looked at the list of questions then had a very long chat. We are closer since as a couple. Kind of did our own I guess

fits wrote: »
    It does. We looked into it. I still think it would be a good idea tbh. Contacted them but we never booked it.

relationshipsireland.com

I think it's a great idea! DO you have any idea what sort of time/money was involved? ie Was it similar to the traditional pre-marriage course?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

Guys, I know people always take the piss out of pre-marriage courses, but having done one I would say it is no harm at all. Or if you don't have to do a course, at least sit down and discuss the things that would be discussed on a pre-marriage course. Children, finances and where you will live would be the issues that spring to mind - not discussing these beforehand has caused plenty of marriage problems!

Of course if you are together for years you would probably have discussed all this stuff before. But for those like myself who got married after only a few years together, it was no harm at all to take a day or two off to discuss this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

A friend of mine did one and said it was fantastic. The stuff that was discussed was somethings that they had never even thought about i.e if your parents get ill and can no longer look after themselves will you have them to live with you? She said it caused 'heated' conversations in the room. But very interesting.

That one we missed but I know our answer from past experiences. We'd be on the same page, family comes first

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

We're getting married June 2016 just booked the venue today! EEEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Been doing some more research and have decided I would like coloured shoes. Anyone had any experience with dyeing shoes - as in sites you can buy from and they will dye them? Seen a few on US sites but am a bit wary of ordering from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

shoes of prey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Dovies, I got a pair of my bridesmaids shoes dyed in Dublin and they turned out brilliantly.

It's this crowd: http://www.cdshoes.ie/

They're right beside the Barge pub on Charlemont Street.

In fairness, the shoes were white to start with, but they did such a professional job and they'll advise you if they don't think it'll work.

These were the ones I got dyed: 1159101170_exlg.jpg

There are three different types of material and they dyed them all to a matching shade while leaving the inner and outer soles their original colour.

I only have one kinda crappy photo to show after they were dyed. The are actually even all over, the light makes it look a bit uneven. shoe_zpsrvhytd0a.jpg

So if you find a pair you like online, they can dye it for you there. They've loads of colours to choose from and they say on their website that they can colour match from a swatch too.

July 2016 here.

I have church, reception venue, photographer, cake and flowers sorted. Dress purchased too and hanging up in my mums wardrobe, will not be tried on again till next year when I have my shoes and can then get necessary alterations done.

Going to reception venue tonight as they have a wedding on and I want to have a listen to the band. It's ok, I have permission to gate crash! :)

How much is the pre marriage course?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dovies, I got a pair of my bridesmaids shoes dyed in Dublin and they turned out brilliantly.

It's this crowd:

They're right beside the Barge pub on Charlemont Street.

In fairness, the shoes were white to start with, but they did such a professional job and they'll advise you if they don't think it'll work.

These were the ones I got dyed:

There are three different types of material and they dyed them all to a matching shade while leaving the inner and outer soles their original colour.

I only have one kinda crappy photo to show after they were dyed. The are actually even all over, the light makes it look a bit uneven.

So if you find a pair you like online, they can dye it for you there. They've loads of colours to choose from and they say on their website that they can colour match from a swatch too.

Irregular Choice pretty much make that pinky colour in that style (I work in a shop that sells them)

EDIT: Heading to view a band tonight in Galway, pretty much have photographer booked so can then slow down and sort out a church next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paulafitz

Hey!!

I'm getting married in 2016 and am excited and worried!

Any tips on best value for money?

Thank you!!
    P

paulafitz wrote: »
    Hey!!

I'm getting married in 2016 and am excited and worried!

Any tips on best value for money?

Thank you!!
    P

Sample sales, sample sales, SAMPLE SALES!!!

Also been on the lookout this season for bridesmaids dresses and buy in the January sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Sample sales, sample sales, SAMPLE SALES!!!

Also been on the lookout this season for bridesmaids dresses and buy in the January sales.

Couldn't agree more with sample sales! After being advised on here to go to them too, I went yesterday and got my dress!! Tried on loads of different styles and materials and ended up getting the first one I tried on. Another big job off the list now, and one I was apprehensive about as I never wear dresses usually and wasn't sure what they'd look like with flats on, but I'm delighted now.

So in short, keep an eye out for sample sales!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dovies, I got shoes dyed in the US and sent over here. That was back in about 2007 I think but was well pleased with the result.

Choose a pair that will take the dye though - usually all bridesmaid shoes /fabric shoes can.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Mushy wrote: »
    Irregular Choice pretty much make that pinky colour in that style (I work in a shop that sells them)

Yeah I saw that colour but we needed gold so had to get them dyed!
    Doesn't show up well in the photos I posted but they're a gilded gold colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

Had no availability e-mails back from three humanist celebrants today. Our wedding will be june 2016, I thought that be fair enough away but I'm getting a little worried! Sent two more e-mails out, cross fingers people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Had no availability e-mails back from three humanist celebrants today. Our wedding will be june 2016, I thought that be fair enough away but I'm getting a little worried! Sent two more e-mails out, cross fingers people!

I enquired last month to 8 celebrants i think, for august next year and only one was free for my date and that was Billy. Have you contacted him? I'd contact them all and see who comes back to you first and go with them.

Advertisement