Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Has anyone played Carne recently?

Thinking of making my annual trip there over the bhol weekend and would love to know what condition the course is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Id say it's rare enough anyone here plays Carne .
    Particularly over winter / spring.

Carne is not known for being in great condition.

You could ask Kevin Markham . Pm or contact by other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

ronnie3585 wrote:
    Has anyone played Carne recently?

I played it last June /July. During the heatwave. Was in pretty poor condition but the lad charged us 20e to play 27 holes so can't complain.

Long drive for what it was. I had high expectations though so that may have added to my disappointment.

A year is a long time and it was an unusually dry stretch for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Played Corballis yesterday the greens were recently holed and covered in coarse sand thought it was a bit unusual for this time of the year must be some reason for it , on the plus side the recent rain has helped the fairways which got bashed in the drought last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Played Seapoint earlier in the week. ALWAYS worth the trip. Smashing course and good value. And true to form it usually gets the better of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played Enniscrone in the weekly open. Had never played it before but wasn't let down. Proper Irish links course. The holes twisting in and out of the high dunes are just unreal. Place was packed with yanks. Played it off the yellow tees which were a bit too forward for my liking but will be back for sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How did you do on 15/16, always mess those holes up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

londonred wrote: »
    Played Corballis yesterday the greens were recently holed and covered in coarse sand thought it was a bit unusual for this time of the year must be some reason for it , on the plus side the recent rain has helped the fairways which got bashed in the drought last year.

How much is Corballis these days lads. In not entirely sure I was ever happy direction the place went.

Fine handing the operation over . But where does the control of the green fee come into it.

Parred 15 and birdied 16. Hit good drive on 16 and then hybrid to front of the green. They were probably playing at their easiest with breeze helping. Really messed up the traffic light hole though which was frustrating!!!

dar_cool wrote: »
    Parred 15 and birdied 16. Hit good drive on 16 and then hybrid to front of the green. They were probably playing at their easiest with breeze helping. Really messed up the traffic light hole though which was frustrating!!!

Still my favourite course in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,154 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dar_cool wrote: »
    Played Enniscrone in the weekly open. Had never played it before but wasn't let down. Proper Irish links course. The holes twisting in and out of the high dunes are just unreal. Place was packed with yanks. Played it off the yellow tees which were a bit too forward for my liking but will be back for sure

Everything about this is true. Bar maybe the yellow tees. Hard enough as it was. Love how you go into the dunes at start, back out then after 10 It's back amongst the madness. Got through it relatively unscathed.

Strandhill tomorrow, hope it's as good as today

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Connemara is a really good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

galwayllm wrote: »
    Connemara is a really good course.

Didn't play there myself but went for a walk around some of it and it is one of those real friendly golf courses that doesn't have notions about itself. It was quite open and forgiving I thought and would be a good course to get familiar to the nuances of links golf before encountering massive dunes and heavy rough in some other links courses.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Didn't play there myself but went for a walk around some of it and it is one of those real friendly golf courses that doesn't have notions about itself. It was quite open and forgiving I thought and would be a good course to get familiar to the nuances of links golf before encountering massive dunes and heavy rough in some other links courses.

It really is beautiful out there. Some lovely holes....
    The rough is a nightmare, can eat up shots.
    I think you'd want to be straight enough off the tee.

Really enjoyed it. I'm going back for a second crack at it in a few weeks, I left a fair few shots out there.

The A 9 in Connemara are a bit bland, if you only had time for 18 then I'd go for the B and C nine

slave1 wrote: »
    The A 9 in Connemara are a bit bland, if you only had time for 18 then I'd go for the B and C nine

Sure I might just do the 27 when I'm out there, not played the new 9 yet... :)

It's super, an adventure, you'll really enjoy

So at last I have started the final run of my Irish Golf Links . I do plan on playing them all and Donegal was a serious blip in my list (zero played). I hope to knock 2 more off the Donegal list this year and then I'm onto my final run in Kerry. I should have only 15 to go by summer end (North and South), that includes ones that are questionable as links.

Well first off, Donegal is just a stunning place , the coast line , the wildness of the place and at times the people :D

Whilst Donegal access has improved over the years - along with Carne , there remains a real inaccessible aspect of playing Links in Donegal. You need to probably take a few days out - head up and play as many as possible on each run.

To start - you have to give it to the people in Donegal , very sound, GUI rate, an Open that week and never felt they were chasing you for anything. They are great fun , a bit mad and don't seem to mind the Dubs :D

I've spent years looking at photos of golf courses in Donegal , they seem to have merged into a single golf course in my mind. I know very little about what one is which and which one is what.

The locations of the courses are just stunning and that feeling that you have a small piece of Ireland and the world for a day comes true when you are in Murvagh.

The drive into the course is very unusual for a lnks as you are effectively in woodland , this woodland comes into play slightly on the course and is an interesting aspect. The course starts off a bit tame and straightforward , but gets into a fantastic run of holes from 5 to 8 , where the course uses the dunes to great effect.

Now for the bad news , and this is probably a first I can recall at a top links. Last summer as we know, we basically had a drought. So many courses suffered badly and ( I assume) Murvagh was one. The greens are vey poor there at present. Basically very uneven growth resulting in very inconsistent ball behaviour. We tried to not let this take from our enjoyment - but Links golf is so much about the greens.

Murvagh falls into the category of a flat rolling links. In my mind I had always considered the west coast the links of the big and dramatic changes in height. I have a personal preference for these. The more I play courses of this style , the more I realise how fairer they are and you basically play the hole as you see it. There are large dunes in part of the course , but they always seem to be too far away, on the edges and out of reach.

Murvagh is a fantastic location, a very playable course, a fast round , a place you feel you could score, a place you feel you could be a member. But is it a the top top tier. I feel it isn't.

It ranks very highly in the Irish listings. I was never a man who got into the finer aspects of hole design - it is more feel and look and after I play a hole . I know it was a great hole.

So I've started Donegal. I know there is so much more to come and I think I will probably be back to Murvagh again. As accessibility goes , it is as easy as it comes in this stunning , wild and mysterious county.

Till then, it is back to the pictures in magazines, brochures and childhood dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Doing the same thing, think I'm up to 33 out of 52 I think I made it.
    Had a nice trip planned for Donegal but just can't do it now, Ballyliffin and Rosapenna both have open weeks that back onto one another plus there was another open on in the middle 5 rounds for 150 quid.

If I had to retire and pick a county to play golf in for ever it would be Donegal.

Now for the bad news , and this is probably a first I can recall at a top links. Last summer as we know, we basically had a drought. So many courses suffered badly and ( I assume) Murvagh was one. The greens are vey poor there at present. Basically very uneven growth resulting in very inconsistent ball behaviour. We tried to not let this take from our enjoyment - but Links golf is so much about the greens...

Ouch, totally agree with you, love links where you can just concentrate on line and are assured the ball will hug the grass and not bump or wander off when putting

I'm down to 3 on my list of links to play, St Annes and the two at RCD which I will tackle in next years Open week

• Advertisement

Was hoping to play a top links tomorrow or Wednesday, too cold tomorrow sadly.

But any good winter rates out there these days, east coast links ?

How much is European , anything else , any winter series stuff ?

Just checked Portmarnock Old , €145. Bargain town.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

European runs a 4ball competition on Fridays I believe. 60 quid pp. I am looking for a partner to play if that suits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Portmarnock links have an open every Tuesday, strokes off the back, qualifying, €50. Arklow first friday every month, qualifying stableford, €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Portmarnock links have an open every Tuesday, strokes off the back, qualifying, €50. Arklow first friday every month, qualifying stableford, €25.

Handicap limit for the Tuesdays at The Links is 9

Great value from Arklow, super course especially at that price, fair dues to them

Thanks lads - some good options there.

Glad I didn't pick today - would be horrendous out there.

Like the sound of Portmarnock Links off the back , if it would be a tough day out.

Arklow next friday sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Think the winter rate in The European is €60 Fix dont know about opens

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

slave1 wrote: »
    Great value from Arklow, super course especially at that price, fair dues to them
    Played it 3 weeks ago in an Open. Was in fantastic condition. Strong wind made for a very tough round.

Played Portmarnock today in the winter series. Was windy and cold but very enjoyable. Course in super condition. It really is one of the top links on the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Seapoint still have a Tuesday open for €30 I think

Love that course after first few holes which I think I hate cause they are tough as much as because they seem a bit out of place

Advertisement