Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well folks, I don't think anything I have to say will impart the sheer scale of this relentless duned beast. Brought an extra few balls with me so teed up on the first with a prov1 and a ram I found somewhere or other, decided to use the ram rather than risk a prov off anything other than a par 3, highly delighted to say I walked off the 27th with both balls in my pocket and eight finds in the buggy!
    Just no point trying to describe the course, no rest anywhere, dune followed by dune with more unused dunes in every direction, this really is such a difference to parkland, 100% loved it from the first shot. Was quite windy and bloody cold too but dry and I'd take dry and windy over wet any day. Can honestly say I was pretty much out there on my own, no sign of anyone until I came in off the 27th. Birdied the par 5 forth with a tap in and on the new 9 the superb par 3 7th, 36 points for the Hacket 18 and 20 points for Ally's new 9, not bad considering I get to play one links every year or so. Really liked the shape of the place and was using the 9 iron a lot around the greens, yardage was very difficult, with the wind behind it was 2/3 clubs less than my usual parkland and into the wind was about 1 more. The new 9 is serious stuff, the greens all have serious breaks and rolls on them, looks like the fairways could do with some bedding in but I really enjoyed them even though I felt quite naked without a GPS as it's not mapped yet. Highlight was teeing off and also driving from the 18th green onto the new 9 and getting quite the surprise as every one of them is a cracker and should not be taken lightly, lowlight was coming in on the 27th, could have done it all again in a heartbeat.
    Have not played lots of links, BBunion Old, R Dublin, European, Enniscrone, Baltray but with the addition of the new 9, Carne sweeps them away.
    Distance membership €250!!!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

slave1 wrote: »
    Well folks, I don't think anything I have to say will impart the sheer scale of this relentless duned beast. Brought an extra few balls with me so teed up on the first with a prov1 and a ram I found somewhere or other, decided to use the ram rather than risk a prov off anything other than a par 3, highly delighted to say I walked off the 27th with both balls in my pocket and eight finds in the buggy!
    Just no point trying to describe the course, no rest anywhere, dune followed by dune with more unused dunes in every direction, this really is such a difference to parkland, 100% loved it from the first shot. Was quite windy and bloody cold too but dry and I'd take dry and windy over wet any day. Can honestly say I was pretty much out there on my own, no sign of anyone until I came in off the 27th. Birdied the par 5 forth with a tap in and on the new 9 the superb par 3 7th, 36 points for the Hacket 18 and 20 points for Ally's new 9, not bad considering I get to play one links every year or so. Really liked the shape of the place and was using the 9 iron a lot around the greens, yardage was very difficult, with the wind behind it was 2/3 clubs less than my usual parkland and into the wind was about 1 more. The new 9 is serious stuff, the greens all have serious breaks and rolls on them, looks like the fairways could do with some bedding in but I really enjoyed them even though I felt quite naked without a GPS as it's not mapped yet. Highlight was teeing off and also driving from the 18th green onto the new 9 and getting quite the surprise as every one of them is a cracker and should not be taken lightly, lowlight was coming in on the 27th, could have done it all again in a heartbeat.
    Have not played lots of links, BBunion Old, R Dublin, European, Enniscrone, Baltray but with the addition of the new 9, Carne sweeps them away.
    Distance membership €250!!!!!

So you liked it just a little bit;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

benny79 wrote: »
    Give high consideration to playing Waterville GC some day next week as I'll be in Kerry for the week on holidays. Always said I'd never pay more the €50 for a round. The green fee is €75 but everyone is telling me its a must and well worth it!

But changes are I might have to play it on my own. Decisions, Decisions.

Rack Rate is listed at €150. Is the €75 for a GUI member or just ringing up or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Rack Rate is listed at €150. Is the €75 for a GUI member or just ringing up or what?

Gui member

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I popped my Carne cherry yesterday morning, it was a difficult yet immensely enjoyable experience! My gf and I were in Westport for a couple of days so I thought I'd take advantage of being much closer than usual to the course. I adore links golf and I had read so much, particularly here, about the course so I was really looking forward to it.

I play Ballyconneely a couple of times a year as it's only an hour from home (Galway) and I've played more than a few links courses so I thought I would be in some way prepared for Carne, but there is simply no comparison to anything I've played before. Carne is a beast! I'm flicking through some photos I took and none of them come close to doing justice to the size of the dunes or the severity of the slopes on the fairways.

I left Westport at first light and teed off just before 7am (thanks to the extremely obliging staff who I had phoned in the days before). It was just me, the birds and the snails - bliss! It was windy and cold but not uncomfortably so. I was slow to warm up and played some pretty poor golf through the first six or seven holes but once I got my driving zeroed in I soon started to improve. The roll on the fairways was phenomenal and once my driver woke up I was getting big distance and the scores started to fall.

To be honest, after the first six or so holes I was feeling a tad underwhelmed, I thought - nice links, nothing spectacular. However, standing on the elevated tee on the 9th things changed drastically. The back 9 is simply stunning, the size of the dunes, the hills, slopes, the wildlife, the mountains and cliffs of Achill - raw links at it's best. The par 3 14th was just jaw dropping. I've never been so amazed and humbled by a golf course. I got around in little over 3 hours and was finishing just as the first of the people on the time sheet were heading out, just the way I like it. I played pretty well too with 38pts so that made the experience all the more enjoyable.

It's a pity it's so far from home and the roads are so bad, but I'll definitely be making a trip to Carne at least once a year, hopefully more:)

Here's a few snaps from yesterday;

The 3rd;
    11329886_1036589633031582_7153668650885240185_n.jpg

I had a sneaky shot at the new 2nd as the course was deserted - it's stunning.
    1538879_1036589649698247_7494146006927042201_n.jpg
    Monster dune beside the green;
    10350414_1036589669698245_399773722788449357_n.jpg

13 and 14;
    11393370_1036590009698211_3973984189350015372_o.jpg

1614229_1036589813031564_1229851447202617681_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Ha ha, was there yesterday morning too, solo also and thought I had the place to myself, you must have been too far ahead of me. Was on the cool side alright!

I posted some shots over on the Images thread folks

Here's another shot of that dune from your third photo, I was about two hours behind you and you can see the footprint trails were already fading, just wanted to demonstrate the scale of the thing with my young one (5'5"?) let loose up it...

DSCF3564.jpg

Ha ha, was there yesterday morning too, solo also and thought I had the place to myself, you must have been too far ahead of me. Was on the cool side alright!

I posted some shots over on the Images thread folks

Ha ha, what are the chances! Your photo of the dune beside the new 2nd does it a lot more justice than mine - monsterous!

Don't think any photo imparts the sheer scale of them, and they only got higher on the new 9, the 3rd in particular is just on the steroid scale

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Don't think any photo imparts the sheer scale of them, and they only got higher on the new 9, the 3rd in particular is just on the steroid scale

Completely agree, that new 9 needs to be seen in person. I've never felt so small on a golf course before.

• Advertisement

So last years Links away challenge ended up being
    April 24 Portmarnock Links
    June 26 Connemara Championship 18
    June 27 Carne (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Championship 18 + new 9
    July 17 Rosapenna Sandy Hills
    July 18 Rosapenna Old Tom Morris
    July 20 Royal Dublin
    Oct 30 Baltray

2015 starts with
    June 25 Connemara Championship 18
    June 26 Enniscrone 18
    June 27 Enniscrone 18

Trying to get to Lahinch (I have a friend), Waterville (if I can get a cheap rate) and Ballyliffen at some time during the summer.

In relation to Enniscrone, can anyone tell me if the 3rd 9 (Scudamore) is worth playing or not? I might play it on the 28th before heading home.

Hhhmmmmm, that sounds very like tomorrow, Fri and Sat
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So I have completely been out of golf for the last number of years, but the whole while I have retained my membership of The Island, and I'll be playing my first comp for a long long long time this Sunday. I absolutely cannot wait, it's criminal that I've let the membership essentially sit there unused but vowing now to get back into playing regularly. The score is going to be a horror show but sure that's how it goes.

So I have completely been out of golf for the last number of years, but the whole while I have retained my membership of The Island, and I'll be playing my first comp for a long long long time this Sunday. I absolutely cannot wait, it's criminal that I've let the membership essentially sit there unused but vowing now to get back into playing regularly. The score is going to be a horror show but sure that's how it goes.

Bad golf is better than no golf...especially on the Island!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You retained in style (The Island) :D

All the days I drove past the gate on that crazy road, on the way to Corballis and man not using The Island.

Silly me, just back from dropping the bro to Dublin Airport, should have brought the clubs and done Corballis, would have been teeing off before 8 and was lovely and still also :mad:

Waterville: I love links what a total different game was hitting my 8i 190/200yds downwind & my 3wd not even 150 yds into it :D

My taughts on Waterville hmmm hard to say it is a lovely course didn't think it plays that hard. as everything is in front of you and the fairways are very wide on most holes. Unless the wind is aways blowing that hard it is off the Atlantic ocean, but yesterday was unreal my bag kept blowing over & I nearly was blown over a few times even the ball was moving on some greens!
    Overall I wud like another crack at it in better conditions think the course is lacking attention theres tonnes of divots marks on the fairways & the greens were very hairly the greens on my home course are in better condition, this after all is ranked no 1 in ireland and no 10 in world I think.

It is a lovely course but I suppose I expected more as it is ranked so high and the green fees are ridiculous id be sick if I payed €170 im a little sick I even paid €75. They let me out on my own which I found a little strange as he seemed more like a business that a club. Id much prefer the European.

This is just my opinion. And I did totally enjoy my round & the course as any links is great. Even when I didnt play great. But that was down to me and not the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

waterville is crazy, 2 of us went out following a 5 ball, the starter told us as its a private club he regularly lets out 5:confused: or even 6 balls:eek:.

crazy

Yea I know. And find there's a lot of staff in the club house what they all do is beyond me cas there website is outdated and I got 1 line email responses when I first contacted them so ended up ringing them. Lot of Americans down day I met 2 who were behind me they loved the place payed €170 each + the hire of clubs & are staying in a €20 a nite b&b with there wife's go figure :D there were on there way 2 Dub next I told them to play corbellis :) and do Guinness tour as there not on a golfing holiday. But I guess thats the market Waterville appeals to. Seems to me they are living off the reputation. And to be fair they have a big one hense why I travelled 2 hrs 2 play it. Should of just played Tralee beside me! But it was on my buckey list.

I think when you play all these big courses you should not have to high expectations as im always let down cause im expecting something magical if that makes sense! :)

Speaking of the place we speak about too much.

Was out in Corballis today with dar_cool and Roadrunner- remarkable how the greens are so green and holding the ball and yet rest of the course is so brown and links like.

A joy to play links greens that hold well. Not sure they are real links greens - must have a great watering plan. A total joy to putt on them.

We had a hatful of birdie puts and dar had an eagle (even near the bigger bird) on 12.

Anyway - great day, must try play a different links at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭pcasso

Golfgraffix said that the greens in Coballis are not fescue/true links grass so that would probably account for how, eh green, they are.

• Advertisement

pcasso wrote: »
    Golfgraffix said that the greens in Coballis are not fescue/true links grass so that would probably account for how, eh green, they are.

Yes j has said that to me.

But - it may not be links - but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭pcasso

For me too buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Bad golf is better than no golf...especially on the Island!
    You retained in style (The Island) :D

All the days I drove past the gate on that crazy road, on the way to Corballis and man not using The Island.

Agree with you both! I'm putting my name down for every comp between now and when the weather turns anyway. I'm a little giddy at the thought of playing this year, it must be 9 months since I set foot on the course and a lot longer since I played a full 18.

Will report back, I believe the course is in good shape, and Fixde I read your rather excellent write up of the place in this thread from a few months ago, excellent stuff.

So last years Links away challenge ended up being
    April 24 Portmarnock Links
    June 26 Connemara Championship 18
    June 27 Carne (Hackett) 18
    June 28 Connemara Championship 18 + new 9
    July 17 Rosapenna Sandy Hills
    July 18 Rosapenna Old Tom Morris
    July 20 Royal Dublin
    Oct 30 Baltray

2015 starts with
    June 25 Connemara Championship 18
    June 26 Enniscrone 18
    June 27 Enniscrone 18

Trying to get to Lahinch (I have a friend), Waterville (if I can get a cheap rate) and Ballyliffen at some time during the summer.

In relation to Enniscrone, can anyone tell me if the 3rd 9 (Scudamore) is worth playing or not? I might play it on the 28th before heading home.

1st time to get to play Enniscrone and what a couple of days to play it. Wind, wind and more wind, though at least it was warm and dry. I've heard many people on this board acclaim Enniscrone and as I came through the gate there is a part of me that is saying, it can't be that good, can it? But in truth it really is. A cracking course, in good conditions with lightening fast greens (just on the edge given the wind), an unassuming clubhouse with an exceptionally warm welcome.
    If I was to be critical, I would mention the tee's not being perfect, but only in the context of the rest of the course being in perfect condition. Holes 12 & 13 aren't to my liking but I can easily see that lots of other people would love them and might even list them as highlights of the course. That's just my personal preference rather than a criticism. And while I liked the par 3's as a whole, it is a little repetitive to have each of them with a big elevation change from tee to green.
    But these are minor considerations and overwhelmingly outweighed by the many positives. The par 5's are wonderful and offer plenty of opportunity of getting on in 2 but if you don't make it the penalty can be severe. The par 4's are very varied and offer many different challenges with the 9th along the water a personal favorite. Also of note is that the Index 1 is a relatively short hole (373Yds from the greens, 421 Yds from the back tees) but really tricky. It is interesting that the lowest index holes aren't just the longest ones. Assuming that the general scores back this up, that has to be a credit to the course design.
    The course has what I can only describe as different phases. The 1st phase runs through a number of tall dunes and reminds me of the Island, the 2nd phase in holes 5, 6 & 7 is very flat with a burn running through it and then some holes like 12 & 13 that are like some of the holes in Carne. You might think this change in tempo would be a negative, but it is the opposite. There is a flow to how the holes change that is really fun. Too much of one phase might be repetitive but the changes come a the right time time to keep you fully engaged and excited to see whats coming next.
    It is definitely a course that you need to play more than once to get an understanding of the lines and more especially when to take on a shot or not. We played 2 days in a row and the only regret is that we didn't play it on the 3rd day.
    Definitely a 5 star course and worth traveling to play

Nice one Trapper - great review.

As you said it has different elements of links. I like that.
    If you were to play a links in Ireland - it would give you a feel of the different types.

Was thinking a little about my own taste in courses lately - the quirkier the better , I have to accept that many courses I like, most other won't. It sort of makes it tricky for me to give recommendations.

There is such a personal aspect to courses, even the experience, the time in your life, your mood, golf and weather . They are stuff you are suppose to ignore. But is that possible all the time ?

Before I read your review - I was wondering if you could see parts of The Island in it.

So - I love it, as a sort of blend of Irish links - and I love the madness of 12-13.

I like holes that cause debate , love or hate holes, - I'd take 12 and 13 every day over a drive and wedge, straight par 4 hole .

Can't wait to get back. As you said, very welcoming and friendly there.

Nice one Trapper - great review.

As you said it has different elements of links. I like that.
    If you were to play a links in Ireland - it would give you a feel of the different types.

Was thinking a little about my own taste in courses lately - the quirkier the better , I have to accept that many courses I like, most other won't. It sort of makes it tricky for me to give recommendations.

There is such a personal aspect to courses, even the experience, the time in your life, your mood, golf and weather . They are stuff you are suppose to ignore. But is that possible all the time ?

Before I read your review - I was wondering if you could see parts of The Island in it.

So - I love it, as a sort of blend of Irish links - and I love the madness of 12-13.

I like holes that cause debate , love or hate holes, - I'd take 12 and 13 every day over a drive and wedge, straight par 4 hole .

Can't wait to get back. As you said, very welcoming and friendly there.

To put in context I had 26pts the 1st day and 30 the 2nd, so my opinion is formed on the back of really struggling to score.
    Agree, that if you were to get a visitor to only play 1 links in Ireland, Enniscrone would be a pretty good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Agree, that if you were to get a visitor to only play 1 links in Ireland, Enniscrone would be a pretty good choice.

On one condition... he/she would have to be allowed to play it twice. The courses at Royal County Down and Enniscrone are the two 'blindest' courses out there and could put a golfer off for life if they weren't given a second attempt.

Not surprised to see your points rise between rounds 1 and 2. Not sure that I've broken 32 points on my 7-8 visits.

And I'm with Fix on holes 12-13. Simply brilliant in their ingenuity/challenges/quirks (delete as appropriate).

What a strange feeling to be in a warm cross wind. A strong warm cross wind.
    Ball when hit green was basically moving side ways on the last bit of roll.

Links like that can be fun - when it goes well.

Would have loved 18 - but was just too slow out there.

To think in December a few of us were in a cross wind at 3 degrees.

On one condition... he/she would have to be allowed to play it twice. The courses at Royal County Down and Enniscrone are the two 'blindest' courses out there and could put a golfer off for life if they weren't given a second attempt.

Not surprised to see your points rise between rounds 1 and 2. Not sure that I've broken 32 points on my 7-8 visits.

And I'm with Fix on holes 12-13. Simply brilliant in their ingenuity/challenges/quirks (delete as appropriate).

That is what I love about links, you get to know them more each time. Like the first time you date someone :D, then they end up your wife, and you realise you never knew them at all :P

No 12, haven't worked that hole out at all. I think I have had a par a bogey and a million on it. The hole on the left here is a pain in the arse. Hole at top of hill , almost where you want to aim.
    Even a great drive on right on 12, can end up in trouble in deep stuff right with a big bounce right. Can understand criticism of 12, I hope there is a way to play it. I guess, the only times I played it - I had a fade / slice, maybe now, a draw would work ?

hole12pic.jpg

On 13, I think you should always get your par. A mid iron to low iron at rock. No need for a driver. But would love to play it from the back stick.
    A driver can get into real trouble right of dune - can be just lost.

A picture never does 13 justice.

Enniscrone_13.jpg

To add to above, if you think of the run of holes even from 13 , it is top of the range stuff - not to mention bloody hard to get home.

1 slight criticism, when you think of run of holes from say 8 home , is 18 up to them at all. Bland enough finish. Even if - I always have a shocker on 18 there.

• Advertisement

I get what you say about blind shots but I felt they were fair blind shots. If that’s possible. Generally if you hit at the marker or over the stone you were ok. Where there were no markers a shot straight down the middle was ok. I played form the Green and Yellow tees so can’t comment on the White / Blue.

No 12, haven't worked that hole out at all. I think I have had a par a bogey and a million on it. The hole on the left here is a pain in the arse. Hole at top of hill , almost where you want to aim.
    Even a great drive on right on 12, can end up in trouble in deep stuff right with a big bounce right. Can understand criticism of 12, I hope there is a way to play it. I guess, the only times I played it - I had a fade / slice, maybe now, a draw would work ?

1 slight criticism, when you think of run of holes from say 8 home , is 18 up to them at all. Bland enough finish. Even if - I always have a shocker on 18 there.

When you find out the best way to play it let me know. On day 1 I hit a drive up the left hand side of the fairway and ended up on the right of the fairway. On the 2nd day I hit a 5 iron down the right side of the fairway and ended up in the same place. My concern is that everything gathers in the same place and you get a lot of divots. A bit like the 8th in The Island.

I liked the 18th. The closing 3 holes at index 11, 17 & 9 means you always have a chance of a strong finish. Even a duffer like me can dream of a couple of birdies and a par to rescue my round. Contrast that to my home course which finishes 11, 7 & 1 which means 2 pars and bogey would be a good finish for me.

One final thing I forgot to mention are the hanging lies on the fairways. A number of times I was playing with the ball above or below my feet in the middle of the fairway. It really really tests your ability. What I learned was that if you have a 210Mtr shot that needs a draw to have any chance of holding the green and your ball is 25 Cm below your feet, put down the hybrid and hit a 8Iron followed by a wedge.

Advertisement