Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

I would add lahinch to that list almost impossible to play for a decent rate as an Irish man, fair play to the European for their winter rate & RCD as I believe they do the same.

I think its disgraceful in this day & age, another product of the "rip of Ireland" tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

benny79 wrote: »
    I would add lahinch to that list almost impossible to play for a decent rate as an Irish man, fair play to the European for their winter rate & RCD as I believe they do the same.

I think its disgraceful in this day & age, another product of the "rip of Ireland" tag.

Premium courses around the world charge premium rates. I would say that in relation to.the ROW, we get great deals here on some of the best courses around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have to say that for course that are ranked in the top 100 of the worlk the cost of playing them is reasonable. in the US you would be paying over $400 for anything similar.
    Lahinch used to have open's untill last year. Most will have a winter rate/Opens or scratch cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Lads,

Played The Island around 6 or 7 years ago. Friend won a fourball voucher. Have to say we loved it, had a great time. It was my first links and played terrible but didn't care.
    I was in the area about a year later and decided I'd pop in to club house for a cuppa with my wife and to just have a look at the course to see how it was shaping up or any work being done (which I often do for courses that I've played and loved). Parked the car and started to walk to the pro-shop when a member of staff came out and asked was I a member or was I playing. I told him I was just going up to the pro-shop. I was told if I'm not playing I'd have to leave, he said they had a number of break-ins recently. When I asked was he winding me up he just said sorry but you'll have to leave.
    Only other time I'd a reception like that was at the Old Head. Is it still the same at The Island or did they just not like the cut of my jib ;)

That's terrible treatment. Around the same time a pal of mine was picking up a prize at a prize giving in a different club and was refused entry because he was wearing jeans. Mad stuff. He said he was flat out refused and had to turn around and go home. Worst of all, he ended up going back regularly to play their opens. I wouldn't darken their doorstep again personally, probably the same response you had to that carry on at the Island.

I've only played the Island once, about 20 years ago in an open. I was off 9 or so at the time and it totally overwhelmed me. Just too difficult. Would be interested to play it now as an adult. Though not any more interested than paying probably EUR40 or EUR50. So on that basis I won't be playing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No excuse for any of that treatment.

Top end golf is a premium product. You can't expect to rock up and play for 30 quid - in fact - Golf in Ireland - is still fairly informal , relative to some other places I've been.

We have talked about it on here - and lads have a limit (most about 50 quid).

But as mike said, there are ways to play them cheaper - in fact, mike has done a great job doing that.

I just think there seems to be a few that - have little or no way to play as a GUI member outside winter conditions - when course is partially out of play.
    Maybe I'm wrong on this.

But would like to see all GUI clubs have at least an Open. (non invitational).

Another little thing that annoys me - are senior opens. Why only senior - a bit ageist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭pcasso

I played the Island last year in an open team competition for €30 per player.
    This was last April and I was told at the time that they were planning further similar events.
    Sadly I haven't seen any advertised though perhaps they are being kept a semi secret.
    Cracking course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Played The European today and it never ceases to amaze. Just the best golf course you can play sitting on the sea. Wind put a decent score to bed pretty early but sun shining so all good.

Greens are too good for this time of year and took about 6 holes to get pace right.

I love the place and Pat rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

If you're will to check the top courses websites and ring the pro-shops good deals can be found.

Tralee last year for €35 during May (scratch cup)
    Dooks during summer ~ €30 (open singles)
    Ballybunion during summer ~ €30 (open team comp)
    Waterville during early summer few years ago ~ €40

As Mike mentioned, up until 2 years ago Lahinch regularly held open comps on Wednesday (€50). Hoping they'll start again shortly.

Good deals can be found, but you have to look past the tourist prices they advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If you're will to check the top courses websites and ring the pro-shops good deals can be found.

Tralee last year for €35 during May (scratch cup)
    Dooks during summer ~ €30 (open singles)
    Ballybunion during summer ~ €30 (open team comp)
    Waterville during early summer few years ago ~ €40

As Mike mentioned, up until 2 years ago Lahinch regularly held open comps on Wednesday (€50). Hoping they'll start again shortly.

Good deals can be found, but you have to look past the tourist prices they advertise.
    Even the old head had a rate that was hidden if you tee off after 3. Hoping to get to the scratch cups in ballybunion and tralee this year they are on the same weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Titus Andronicus

the lawman wrote: »
    Played The European today and it never ceases to amaze. Just the best golf course you can play sitting on the sea. Wind put a decent score to bed pretty early but sun shining so all good.

Greens are too good for this time of year and took about 6 holes to get pace right.

I love the place and Pat rules.

I played it the day after yourself & have never played such slick greens outside the summer season.
    I was barely touching 20 footers & stared at them rolling typically 10 feet past.
    I actually played 2 full rounds that day, I was using a voucher before the high season rates kicked in & I had the whole course to myself in the morning.
    I was joined by a couple of fourballs in the afternoon but that was it for a glorious Friday in March, I don't see how the business model works as the low turnover means very little takings for the bar as well.

Personally, I didn't see the fascination with the 7th hole, the sliver of fairway between the wetlands is obviously attractive & gives he hole it's difficulty but the green complex is actually plain in comparison to others on the course.
    The highlight for me was the 11th hole, the whole stretch 11, 12, 12a, 13 & 14 was glorious.
    Only downside was the rough, I lost about 6 balls just going a few feet off the beaten track, it's probably due a good topping once some dry weather kicks in.
    I found the 3rd hole unfair for 2nd shots as well, unless you hit & hold the green the whole camber of the fairway throws you into gorse & the aforementioned rough, not a hole for someone who fades the ball.

They were pole forking & sanding some of the fairways while I was there, never seen that before, especially on a links.
    The much debated bunkers are actually easy enough to escape due to the softness of the sand, I liked the sleepers & the addition of the wild grass has made them a bit US Open like.
    My only regret all day was not bringing my A-game, I was playing 2 balls & while my better ball score may have been in the low 80's my poorer ball score would have been 100+ & that's without a puff of wind.

Courses like these come down to whether they can justify the exorbitant green fees (€180 high season), it's difficult when compared to value tracks like €25 for Esker Hills which may be a fraction of the cost without being a fraction of the experience.
    I believe the €50 open days represent value but we should leave the crazy prices to the well healed tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

A good summary Titus and I would agree with a lot of what you said. I think the clamour for the 7th is actually based on playing it from the back tees, if you noticed on Friday they are probably 100 yards back form the yellows. Totally different beast form the yellows where I easily reached in two.

I spoke with Pat after the round and he was telling me he decides to play opens during the summer depending on the level of tourists he gets. In a slow week he'll open up for the opens so hopefully there are more to come.

Sounds like you had a mild day, we were blown form pillar to post but really enjoyed it, as I always do. My partner had a tap in eagle on the 12th which was fun.

Ballybunnion later on today! Can't wait, playing with a member who was net +8 yesterday and still finished in the top 10% of the monthly medal. Hoping it's a bit calmer today out there.

My wait for Tralee continues, married to a Tralee woman and still haven't played it. Need to change that soon.

PARlance wrote: »
    Ballybunnion later on today! Can't wait, playing with a member who was net +8 yesterday and still finished in the top 10% of the monthly medal. Hoping it's a bit calmer today out there.

My wait for Tralee continues, married to a Tralee woman and still haven't played it. Need to change that soon.

Reasonable grounds to change woman. :p

Looks ok out

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Perfect day for it today, enjoy! Yesterday was brutal tough, nett 75 for me,css 75

Brendygg wrote: »
    Perfect day for it today, enjoy! Yesterday was brutal tough, nett 75 for me,css 75

Was playing with a member that was out yesterday and he said it was a brute. Net 75 was some shooting out there, he was delighted with his net 77.

He was playing with best gross, 75.... And that lad was +4 after 2!!!!!

Played quite well myself today, 35 points off 13 from the whites. Scratched the last to end on a bad note but cracking day all the same.

Some serious work/money going into the course.

Was playing with a member that was out yesterday and he said it was a brute. Net 75 was some shooting out there, he was delighted with his net 77.

He was playing with best gross, 75.... And that lad was +4 after 2!!!!!

Played quite well myself today, 35 points off 13 from the whites. Scratched the last to end on a bad note but cracking day all the same.

Some serious work/money going into the course.

I've never played golf in Kerry.

What is course like PARlance ?

Never seen it in better condition. Back 9 is class. The front 9 gets away with a bit due to the quality of the back 9, especially the first 5 (teeing over the previous green on 2 holes) imo. But once that stretch is behind you it just seems to get better and better.

There's probably no better place to sip a cold one after a good round in the clubhouse. Great views over the 18th and out to sea.

They have cut the rough back a lot, it makes for a more enjoyable round and is still plenty tough enough.

Never seen it in better condition. Back 9 is class. The front 9 gets away with a bit due to the quality of the back 9, especially the first 5 (teeing over the previous green on 2 holes) imo. But once that stretch is behind you it just seems to get better and better.

There's probably no better place to sip a cold one after a good round in the clubhouse. Great views over the 18th and out to sea.

They have cut the rough back a lot, it makes for a more enjoyable round and is still plenty tough enough.

Not sure when I'm getting to Kerry. So much to see and do, so little time to do it.

I guess the course will be there another 100 years - so time yet. It is there since 1893 - impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

can change that, gimme a pm if you around any saturday.

Good shooting Parlance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Played Rosslare links twice last week, I was staying in the Maldron (family holiday and nice wife for letting me out)
    Course was in lovely nick as always; lots of guys working on the course mostly volunteers fair play to them.
    7th hole got me everytime but love the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Played Rosslare links twice last week, I was staying in the Maldron (family holiday and nice wife for letting me out)
    Course was in lovely nick as always; lots of guys working on the course mostly volunteers fair play to them.
    7th hole got me everytime but love the challenge.

I love that Hotel, and the course, classic links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

They are ripping up all 18 greens and re-sodding them starting next October. And they are building a new 7th green too. Should be back in action for April 2016. I'm looking forward to seeing the new 7th green. The present one is seriously hard to hold a ball on. I think they are extending it out to the cliff on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

https://t.co/eCdzJIgT1N

FixdePitchmark, a career as a model beckons?

https://t.co/eCdzJIgT1N

FixdePitchmark, a career as a model beckons?

The lastest trend is that they're looking for out to in models.... gone are the days when they just looked for perfectly on plane swings :)

With a head like that......

Wouldn't mind , not my best shot ever.

But at least published at last . (Lol)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CBg4x2tXEAADD-i.jpg:large

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

got to finally play old course in lahinch last week
    definitely my favourite course that i have played.it was blowing a storm when i played it but thats just part of playing on a links course,some great par 3,s on it.def looking forward to playing it again soon and hopefully improve on my poor scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

Do you mind me asking how you got out? was it with a member or a green fee, If a green fee how much was it? I find it a very hard course to play unless you know a member!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

getting out there this weekend myself but only due to work connections!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

benny79 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you got out? was it with a member or a green fee, If a green fee how much was it? I find it a very hard course to play unless you know a member!

Hi benny
    Played it with society I'm in
    Yeah def can be hard to get out there and expensive.but think it def worth a treat now and again

Advertisement