Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well I've added The Island, Narin & Portnoo, Ballyliffin Old and Ballyliffin Glashedy to my list these past few days, some cracking courses and we really are spoilt, hard to separate The Island and Glashedy IMHO, neither with a weak hole...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

slave1 wrote: »
    Well I've added The Island, Narin & Portnoo, Ballyliffin Old and Ballyliffin Glashedy to my list these past few days, some cracking courses and we really are spoilt, hard to separate The Island and Glashedy IMHO, neither with a weak hole...

Looking forward to another 3 days starting with ballyliffin then portstewart and portrush. Looking at the list I have to play most of the ones I'm missing are the second courses. Waterville, dooks, doonbeg, lahinch castlerock are the bigger ones I still have to play.

Sounds good, hoping to get down to Lahinch in the next few weeks, on the lookout for clear skies and dead calm :)

slave1 wrote: »
    Sounds good, hoping to get down to Lahinch in the next few weeks, on the lookout for clear skies and dead calm :)

Best of luck with that.
    Had a look there and have 24 left to play. 6 of them in Donegal despite already having played 4 up there. It has to be the number 1 county for links golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

How do you lads get out in Lahinch? Do you know members or pay a ridiculous green fee! I have been down there a few times & not a chance of playing it, either fully booked or members only, even though its mid week & when I pass the course its fairly empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

benny79 wrote: »
    How do you lads get out in Lahinch? Do you know members or pay a ridiculous green fee! I have been down there a few times & not a chance of playing it, either fully booked or members only, even though its mid week & when I pass the course its fairly empty.

I played it this year - I am a high handicapper.
    Played the castle course first and then played the Old course.
    My recommendation is to play midweek and off season - April / September. Got out for 100 even. I don't see the requirement for a caddy as course is easy to navigate.

Spectacular course but tough, I had gale force winds which made it tougher.
    Nice club and staff, not at all stuffy.
    As for booking just book online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Played portmarnock hotel course this morning and got a real links experience, howling wind and torrential rain...I lasted 7 holes before calling it a day and going to wring myself out...what a difference a day makes, sunburnt in t-shirt and shorts yesterday :p

carq wrote: »
    I played it this year - I am a high handicapper.
    Played the castle course first and then played the Old course.
    My recommendation is to play midweek and off season - April / September. Got out for 100 even. I don't see the requirement for a caddy as course is easy to navigate.

Spectacular course but tough, I had gale force winds which made it tougher.
    Nice club and staff, not at all stuffy.
    As for booking just book online.

I was there in Dec! can't get any more off season than that and not a sinner on the course! Thanks anyway. Don't think I would pay €100 for it though.

I was there in Dec! can't get any more off season than that and not a sinner on the course! Thanks anyway. Don't think I would pay €100 for it though.

They used to have a weekly open but don't see any opens there at all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Played The European Club on Friday last week and watched one of my partners sink the longest putt I have ever witnessed (in person or on TV) - on the famous 12th green. We measured it at 65 yards (195 feet).

For someone who constantly has a camera in his hand nowadays, sadly I didn't get it on video. But we did go for a repeat, so if you want to watch a 2nd attempt, it's up on my blog. It's at the bottom of the blog. At the very least you'll get an idea of the size of the green.

• Advertisement

Played The European Club on Friday last week and watched one of my partners sink the longest putt I have ever witnessed (in person or on TV) - on the famous 12th green. We measured it at 65 yards (195 feet).

For someone who constantly has a camera in his hand nowadays, sadly I didn't get it on video. But we did go for a repeat, so if you want to watch a 2nd attempt, it's up on my blog. It's at the bottom of the blog. At the very least you'll get an idea of the size of the green.
    That hole annoys me a bit, it maybe because range finders are not allowed so standing at the 100 yard marker u could be hitting anything from lob wedge to 3 iron.

mike12 wrote: »
    That hole annoys me a bit, it maybe because range finders are not allowed so standing at the 100 yard marker u could be hitting anything from lob wedge to 3 iron.

It certainly confuses those who haven't visited before. Slightly ironic - we were talking about the hole/green long before we got there and I made the comment that I had never seen the pin anywhere but the very front... and then it ends up being in the middle. (For anyone who hasn't played it, that means moving the flag about 60 yards.)

It certainly confuses those who haven't visited before. Slightly ironic - we were talking about the hole/green long before we got there and I made the comment that I had never seen the pin anywhere but the very front... and then it ends up being in the middle. (For anyone who hasn't played it, that means moving the flag about 60 yards.)
    Never seen it anywhere but around the middle, standing there going do u think that is 50 or 90 yards on the green isn't helpful when commiting to a shot.
    What's your opinion on the sleepers in the bunkers.

mike12 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on the sleepers in the bunkers.

Ah yes... that question. Actually, I love them. I know some people complain but it just puts an even higher premium on avoiding them. Yes, they can be unfair (Ian Kerr losing a ball in the PGA, for example), but that's what Ruddy chose.

And yourself?

Have to agree with Kevin like them myself! something different and I find you concentrate more to avoid them if that makes sense!

Hey Kev, Is it Ian Kerr working out of Carlow? What happened to him (I'm currently getting lessons of him & find him great!)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Sleepers have no place on a links course, parkland maybe, links defintely not, unusual for Ruddy to get it so wrong.

Ah yes... that question. Actually, I love them. I know some people complain but it just puts an even higher premium on avoiding them. Yes, they can be unfair (Ian Kerr losing a ball in the PGA, for example), but that's what Ruddy chose.

And yourself?
    Don't mind them really, they are a bit dangerous and not really fair having no shot because u are up against one.
    It is in my top 5 courses in the country and I think it is probably the hardest, no need to make it harder with them.

Have to agree with Kevin like them myself! something different and I find you concentrate more to avoid them if that makes sense!

Hey Kev, Is it Ian Kerr working out of Carlow? What happened to him (I'm currently getting lessons of him & find him great!)

Story goes that he was doing very well in the tournament and then he hit a shot that ricocheted off the sleepers, never to be seen again. I think that's the unfairest thing about the sleepers - it makes every bunker a double hazard.
    Sleepers have no place on a links course, parkland maybe, links defintely not, unusual for Ruddy to get it so wrong.

Um, why would they be more acceptable on a parkland course?

Story goes that he was doing very well in the tournament and then he hit a shot that ricocheted off the sleepers, never to be seen again. I think that's the unfairest thing about the sleepers - it makes every bunker a double hazard.

Um, why would they be more acceptable on a parkland course?
    They are used to good effect in Sawgrass for example and don't look out of place, unlike a links course where they stand out like a sore thumb.
    Edit to say, I think most are agreed that they are unfair in bunkers, but for some reason aesthetically they are just wrong on a links course but seem to work on some parkland courses, I'm not sure why that is but it seems to be the case alot of the time.

We have them on our course, a single bunker, par 3 16th in New Forest. Thankfully they are angled away from the bunker in every direction so if you do make contact with them the ball will not Rick O'Shea towards you but you will end up with a huge run off after the ball makes contact with the sleeper.
    In other words, don't mind them if they are setup to limit dangerous rebounds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

They are used to good effect in Sawgrass for example and don't look out of place, unlike a links course where they stand out like a sore thumb.
    Edit to say, I think most are agreed that they are unfair in bunkers, but for some reason aesthetically they are just wrong on a links course but seem to work on some parkland courses, I'm not sure why that is but it seems to be the case alot of the time.

I played with Kevin on Friday and I thought the sleepers had aged well (in other words they looked more worn and therefore fit in) since the last time I played the course.

Pete Dye, the man who designed Sawgrass, became well known in the 80's for using sleepers in his courses. He started to do this after he had a Eureka moment after visiting the links courses of Scotland and started to mimic their styles. The sleepers idea came from Prestwick in particular.

They were originally used by the sea for functional purposes, as a retaining face that would allow deep enough bunkers to stop erosion and sand blow. Sod walls are used in the same way.

Ally

I played with Kevin on Friday and I thought the sleepers had aged well (in other words they looked more worn and therefore fit in) since the last time I played the course.

Pete Dye, the man who designed Sawgrass, became well known in the 80's for using sleepers in his courses. He started to do this after he had a Eureka moment after visiting the links courses of Scotland and started to mimic their styles. The sleepers idea came from Prestwick in particular.

They were originally used by the sea for functional purposes, as a retaining face that would allow deep enough bunkers to stop erosion and sand blow. Sod walls are used in the same way.

Ally
    Ally, they probably aged well IYO because with the passing of time they look less harsh, that's only natural, plus you just get used to the look of them, still that's beside the point the problems they pose with playability still exist even with the passing of time.
    I understand sleeper use as retaining walls and their functionality, also before rock amour sleepers were probably the onlu avaailable option.
    I had a quick look at the pictures of Prestwick GC and couldn't see any sleepers in bunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've a feeling this may have been posted - but it is still a bit of fun for The Links Thread.

I like Crossfield videos and what he has done - but not sure I could handle his "banter" on my day on a links. Maybe I'm as bad :D

But - you still end up watching all his on course stuff.

But it is a great way to get a look at a course from a players perspective - The conditions are horrible , but I'd say most Links lads on here would fancy their chances against him on the front nine here.

Anyway , class course could be the best nine in Links golf out there ? - But early for me to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Got a nice Links fix to fuel the addiction this weekend. We were playing in the Pat Mulcair Am Am in Ballybunion and Tralee (Sat and Sun respectively for us).

Great event over two great courses. Think it was my 6th time to play Ballybunion Old so it was all about sampling Tralee for the first time for me.
    There has been some serious money spent on BallyB of late and it shows, course in great shape but I believe they are doing a massive job on the greens next year and it's needed to bring them up to standard imo.

The forecast for Tralee the next morning was supposed to be brutal (and that lead to a few extra pints the night before) but we ended up getting one little drizzle mid round and again as we finished on 18.
    Thought the course itself was just stunning, some of the views on the back 9 are the best I've seen. It's nearly a shame that you've to come back to the clubhouse to finish.
    Thought the new massive dune & bunker that they've dropped onto the 9th just looks all wrong in that it doesn't suit that part of the course at all. But that's just being picky, there are about 10 holes where you stand on the tee and Wow is the only word.

Looking forward to many more rounds out there. Think it goes into a joint second with The European just behind the new 18 in Carne.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great stuff PARlance, to my current resolvable shame - I haven't played in Donegal or Kerry (yet, yet, yet)

It is interesting that you have played Ballybunion 8 times , In my opinion a links takes many many rounds to get to know a course fully.
    When you go away to a new links - this is a feature, maybe with more experience of links golf it gets easier (i'm beginning to think I'm improving at going to a new course) - to be honest, as it was all new to me playing some of the big ones - I built it up too much.

I look at it a little simpler now and go . It is a golf courses , there are members here who have to play it every weekend , it is just a course. The majority of holes on a links have a sensible landing area and a middle of a green.

Found The Island and Royal County Down , Portmarnock Links, European - very very hard when I went there first. But a little bit more experienced now.

Found Carne - Baltray - Portstewart - Co Sligo for example much easier.

But I guess there are many variables - and you only get to play them a few times , is what I'm getting around to.

I think the ones that slaughter me - call me back more.

But much to be said for an easier links now and again. Likes of Arklow , Rosslare.

Maybe the skill to see a hole and work it out, first time - is a skill in itself. Haven't considered that a skill of golf before.

...to my current resolvable shame - I haven't played in Donegal ...

Shame indeed, something I put right last week and well worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great stuff PARlance, to my current resolvable shame - I haven't played in Donegal or Kerry (yet, yet, yet)

It is interesting that you have played Ballybunion 8 times , In my opinion a links takes many many rounds to get to know a course fully.
    When you go away to a new links - this is a feature, maybe with more experience of links golf it gets easier (i'm beginning to think I'm improving at going to a new course) - to be honest, as it was all new to me playing some of the big ones - I built it up too much.

I look at it a little simpler now and go . It is a golf courses , there are members here who have to play it every weekend , it is just a course. The majority of holes on a links have a sensible landing area and a middle of a green.

Found The Island and Royal County Down , Portmarnock Links, European - very very hard when I went there first. But a little bit more experienced now.

Found Carne - Baltray - Portstewart - Co Sligo for example much easier.

But I guess there are many variables - and you only get to play them a few times , is what I'm getting around to.

I think the ones that slaughter me - call me back more.

But much to be said for an easier links now and again. Likes of Arklow , Rosslare.

Maybe the skill to see a hole and work it out, first time - is a skill in itself. Haven't considered that a skill of golf before.

Know a member down there so when you get offers to play it at €35, it's too good to turn down.

Re the first time, it's probably different for everyone but I tend to score better on first attempts. One of my weaknesses is a lack of concentration or focus when out on a course. I wouldn't suffer from that when playing a course that I've heard is tough.

Had 38 points yesterday and I'd say that was in with a shout for an individual prize(if there was one). Probably one of best rounds to date.

PARlance wrote: »
    Got a nice Links fix to fuel the addiction this weekend. We were playing in the Pat Mulcair Am Am in Ballybunion and Tralee (Sat and Sun respectively for us).

Great event over two great courses. Think it was my 6th time to play Ballybunion Old so it was all about sampling Tralee for the first time for me.
    There has been some serious money spent on BallyB of late and it shows, course in great shape but I believe they are doing a massive job on the greens next year and it's needed to bring them up to standard imo.

The forecast for Tralee the next morning was supposed to be brutal (and that lead to a few extra pints the night before) but we ended up getting one little drizzle mid round and again as we finished on 18.
    Thought the course itself was just stunning, some of the views on the back 9 are the best I've seen. It's nearly a shame that you've to come back to the clubhouse to finish.
    Thought the new massive dune & bunker that they've dropped onto the 9th just looks all wrong in that it doesn't suit that part of the course at all. But that's just being picky, there are about 10 holes where you stand on the tee and Wow is the only word.

Looking forward to many more rounds out there. Think it goes into a joint second with The European just behind the new 18 in Carne.
    The 9th isn't just a few new bunkers and mounding, it's a brand new hole.
    It has no doubt divided opinion, and to be fair that is to be expected with any change but no doubt the €800k pricetag has a big say in it, but a course like Tralee has to keep evolving and improving otherwise it stagnats and runs the risk of becoming repetitive and dull for the locals and the golfers who frequent it regularly, fortunately for Tralee they have the resources financially and the land close by to make the necessary improvements.
    The old 9th was incredibly dull and lacking in definition, and while the new 9th certainly stands out and is the main talking point at the moment, that is actually a good thing IMO, it would appear the the objective was to make it more dramatic aesthetically and in turn dramatic to play, afaicc that has been achieved and if/when the talked about changes on the 4th and 5th are implemented in a similiar style it will bring the front nine drama levels closer to that of the back nine, unlike the very differing nines that are there now.

Well I've added Lahinch Old and Castle last week and playing Dooks tomorrow and Rosses on Saturday and that will be the end of my links trips this year.
    At this stage I'm probably Lahinch Old, Island/Carne, Glashedy/Ballybunion Old/Baltray and then the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

The 9th isn't just a few new bunkers and mounding, it's a brand new hole.
    It has no doubt divided opinion, and to be fair that is to be expected with any change but no doubt the €800k pricetag has a big say in it, but a course like Tralee has to keep evolving and improving otherwise it stagnats and runs the risk of becoming repetitive and dull for the locals and the golfers who frequent it regularly, fortunately for Tralee they have the resources financially and the land close by to make the necessary improvements.
    The old 9th was incredibly dull and lacking in definition, and while the new 9th certainly stands out and is the main talking point at the moment, that is actually a good thing IMO, it would appear the the objective was to make it more dramatic aesthetically and in turn dramatic to play, afaicc that has been achieved and if/when the talked about changes on the 4th and 5th are implemented in a similiar style it will bring the front nine drama levels closer to that of the back nine, unlike the very differing nines that are there now.

I'd be very interested to see the breakdown of that €800k.

Advertisement