Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'd say 36 points on a links you don't know is seriously good going. And those that are hard fought for are always the most rewarding

It's becoming my specialty, fits in nicely with my debut 38 on The European... Now, if I could only play on a calm, open parkland, I'd be laughing.

I think we should make Rickie Fowler an honorary member of this thread... he would fit right in.
    It's great to see an American pro really enjoy and respect links golf.

I'm putting his poor US Open down to the fact that he was probably looking down his nose at Chambers Bay thinking...pfff, this isn't true links.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PARlance wrote: »
    I think we should make Rickie Fowler an honorary member of this thread... he would fit right in.
    It's great to see an American pro really enjoy and respect links golf.

I'm putting his poor US Open down to the fact that he was probably looking down his nose at Chambers Bay thinking...pfff, this isn't true links.

I think he has a real good 3/4 swing, better than most of his PGA counterparts and has patience, I honestly thought both himself and Spieth were out of contention early/midway through their rounds today but both persevered and came out on top, nice guys too...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Open week in Seapoint. Open singles on Friday for €25. Is it wort the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

open comp in Tralee on Wednesday 5th August. €30 a man. Good availability before 8.30am.

Its one of the very best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

open comp in Tralee on Wednesday 5th August. €30 a man. Good availability before 8.30am.

Its one of the very best.

Was down there 2 weeks ago. Place is in great shape... and you won't get many opportunities to play it for €30.

A 'small' selection of 95 photos

Was down there 2 weeks ago. Place is in great shape... and you won't get many opportunities to play it for €30.

A 'small' selection of 95 photos

just been pointed out that its a ladies competition.....d'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

just been pointed out that its a ladies competition.....d'oh!
    Tralee have a few open comps in mid August around the Rose week, usually there's a singles, 4ball B/B and a 4man team, the cost is €40 this year, used to be €35, keep an eye on their website for details, but expect them to go live towards the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In harbour bar Portrush.

About to start my north coast Links journey.
    I have a feeling, I've started something that is going to be big.

There is a sign between Portrush and Portstewart that says "welcome to the Major golf capital of the world - home of Fred Daly, Graeme McDowell and Darren Clarke.

I think you would have to come here for years to get the nuances of Portrush versus Portstewart - that is just the towns. Then on the golf, every local I asked about the the courses had different opinions, perhaps it was just the ones I asked, but they seemed very divided, split. One guy, a friendly barman / local legend told me - he prefers to be with the lads in Rathmore. He even offered me a game. It seems when you are in with the locals here , you are in. :D

I've played some of the big Links at this stage - so, much more work and play to do. But, I'm like a little child at Christmas still , a bit sad at this stage. I'm going to have to snap out of that - as the rack rate of £110 , is an amount even I can't justify. No excuse , as there are other ways of playing theses places. But, in the past, I was in these areas thinking I'll be back. But very often - you are not, time passes, you age, life changes. So I do think I better play them , whilst I'm here, the weather is good and my game is in good shape.

But, definitely going for better ways to play them from now on, but you do only live once and all that - winter links in bad weather can be nuts.

The clubhouse stinks of money - and a club unsure what to do with all the crazy green fee rates.

So - hit first tee and from the off was offered a game from 2 locals - this was a blessing, as , it is a very tricky opening few holes - the front is as good a front out there. The first hole is spectacular , and then 2 is a very interesting drop and then up again , then a monster par 3. If you are standing on 4th tee, 2 over you are doing ok.

So a hard start, but then the course is playable, but you must be driving the ball accurately - if you are , it is not as hard as some of the others out there.

Was blessed with weather and made the course easy enough on the back - started poor (front (+8)) (back (+2)) - total 10 over. Happy enough , but yet to break 80 on a big links, was easily there today.

I could see people being a bit critical of the back nine " a bit flat " - " a bit parkland " - " too easy" . But to be honest , a full 18 of the front, would make you give up this game.

I guess that is the problem for the top links, they seem to be very harshly viewed if there are a couple of "normal holes". I liked all the par 3s, needed to play them a few times as have to have exact club in hand. Got a 2 at 15, nice to take away.

Very enjoyable round, very enjoyable course, very friendly atmosphere.

Can't wait to play the other place if better - but will be done at a better rate.

Still chasing a good score on one of these yolks, but there seems to be a double/treble around every unknow dune.

So will be back to the North again, still a bit of a mystery , the people , the history , the golf courses , - even, let us deal with reality for a second, the troubles.

Sport and politics shouldn't mix, but everything and politics seems to mix up here. You can listen about it from others, for the purposes of education, but golf is an escape from the realities of life. Golf at times seems to insulate itself from reality. That is one of the best aspect of golf. It is about the ball , the ball of your playing partners - victory over a course. A great course.

Terrific place, unreal views and golf. Yes, will be back. May need the help from locals next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The 18th – is almost too hard, but was delighted to walk away with a par. It is one of the hardest finishes in the country – just pure distance and typically into wind.

Just reading Fixde's write-up of the Island there and this line stood out.

I played the medal on Sunday, from the back tee obviously. Nailed a drive, nailed a 4 iron, and was still a full 60 degree short of the green. It is a looooooooong par 4 especially with the wind. I flew the ball probably 75m farther than my playing partner off the tee but we were side-by-side on the fairway. And if you don't hit your drive on the fairway then you can almost forget it, going more than a little left and you're either mountaineering or your ball is simply gone. Certainly my favourite hole on the course.

Getting all set for my first Links foray up in Donegal. A wee bit excited to say the least.
    Playing the Lough Erne & Links challenge Mon-Weds.

Anyone got any tips or experiences in Murvagh or Narin & Portnoo?

And Kevin.... I've been on your viewing your photos for the last month :)

Played Rosslare today - one I have needed to and wanted to play for a good while. In fact I only have Royal Dublin to do now on the full east coast.

I loved Rosslare - it is a little like Arklow , but better , a little like Laytown too.

It is a figure of 8 layout and - again, stuck in a very narrow stretch of land. The course uses the low dunes it has, very well and is a good test, maybe rough a bit short and wind needed to make it a real test. But very enjoyable.

Conditions were very good - and broke 80 so was very happy with that, made a mess of 3 (lost) and didn't play the par 3s great.

Some terrific par 4s on the course - was delighted to get a par on the interesting index one.

You could say a weak finish , with no wind the holes lose their edge - and a poor enough 18.

But - will be back . A great place this part of Wexford - a course I know, needs a few more rounds.

Just back from the Lough Erne & Links challenge. A great 3 days and 3 great courses in their own right.

First up was Donegal (Murvagh) Golf Club, on reflection it was the ideal start to the 3 days. A very enjoyable and tricky links. But unfortunately a links will always lose a fair few points with me if it's not hugging the coast for a fair stretch. But some great holes throughout and the kind of course that you would love to be a member of. Tough but playable and fair if you're playing well.

Next was Narin & Portnoo and I'm still dreaming about playing it again... that's saying a lot considering the fact that I was s****ing every second approach shot.... usually from position A too! As I was driving the ball the best I ever have. But horrible golf aside, the course, after a tame start turns spectacular before you know it. The 8th is the best hole I've ever played, I luckily just missed driving the green by a few feet, if it landed on it my ball would have been in the wild Atlantic that sits behind it.
    I forgot how many holes that had us all standing speechless on the tee (and that was nothing to do with the severe hangovers).

It still doesn't displace the new 18 in Carne but it's a very very close second. (There might be a little Mayo bias in there.)

So my new Top 5 has been shaken up.
    1. Carne (new 18)
    2. Narin & Portnoo
    3. The European
    4. Enniscrone
    5. Ballybunion Cashen

(Haven't played Tralee & the Northern gems so they will prob be added to above).

Lough Erne soars into first spot on the parkland list.

This Links chasing is hard work - enjoyable work if you can get it.

But - every time you think you have played a great one - another is posting how they have played a better.

I hope at the end - when and if you have played them all. You go, ok that one will do me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This thread just makes you realise how lucky we are to have such accessibility to these top courses, nothing is more than a drive away and they are all affordable when you compare to golfing in other countries.

We're blessed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

This Links chasing is hard work - enjoyable work if you can get it.

But - every time you think you have played a great one - another is posting how they have played a better.

I hope at the end - when and if you have played them all. You go, ok that one will do me. :)
    How many have you played now and how many do you reckon there are. Have played all on the east coast bar arcklow and Rosslare.
    Think what's going to be hard for me to do is get too the second courses at a few places I've been too already. Think I'm close to 30 now.
    Also find I've started going back instead of going to new courses.

ForeRight wrote: »
    This thread just makes you realise how lucky we are to have such accessibility to these top courses, nothing is more than a drive away and they are all affordable when you compare to golfing in other countries.

We're blessed!
    Have to agree have played more than half the link's in the country and the most I've paid so far is 60 euros.

mike12 wrote: »
    Ballycastle 1 £25 Opens Antrim
    Rathmore 2 £35 Antrim
    Royal Portrush 3 Played £125 Antrim
    Doonbeg Links 4 €185 Clare
    Kilkee 5 €30.00 Clare
    Lahinch 6 €100 Opens Clare
    Lahinch Second 7 Clare
    Fermoy 8 €20.00 opens Cork
    Portstewart 9 Played £80 Derry
    Ballyliffin 10 Played Donegal
    Ballyliffin Galsheady 11 €80 Opens Donegal
    Donegal 12 Played €50.00 Opens Donegal
    Dunfanaghy 13 €30.00 Donegal
    Greencastle 14 €20.00 Donegal
    Narin & Portnoo 15 Played €30 Opens Donegal
    North West 16 €30.00 Donegal
    Portsalon 17 €40.00 Opens Donegal
    Rosapenna 18 Played €60 Donegal
    Rospenna Tom Morris 19 Donegal
    Ardglass 20 Played £40 Opens Down
    Carnalea 21 £17.50 Down
    Castlerock 22 £65 Down
    Donaghadee 23 £23 Down
    Kirkistown Castle 24 Played £25 Opens Down
    Mourne 25 Played N/A Down
    Royal Co. Down 26 Played €100.00 £140 usually Down
    Corballis Links 27 Played €20.00 Dublin
    Portmarnock 28 Played €180 Dublin
    Portmarnock Hotel 29 Played Dublin
    The Island 30 Played €20.00 Dublin
    The Links Portmarnock 31 Played €20 Dublin
    The Royal Dublin 32 Played €60.00 Dublin
    Connemara 33 €65 Opens Galway
    Galway Bay 34 Played €20.00 Galway
    Ballybunion 35 €180 Kerry
    Ceann Sibeal 36 €65.00 Kerry
    Dooks 37 €85.00 Opens Kerry
    Skellig Bay 38 €70.00 Kerry
    Tralee 39 €180.00 Kerry
    Waterville 40 N/A Kerry
    Seapoint 41 Played free Lout
    Co. Louth 42 Played Free Louth
    Greenore 43 Played free Louth
    Belmullet 44 Played €65 opens Mayo
    Laytown & Bettystown 45 Played €50 Opens Meath
    Bundoran 46 Played €45 Sligo
    Co. Sligo 47 Played €70 Opens Sligo
    Enniscrone 48 Played €60.00 Opens Sligo
    Strandhill 49 Played €40.00 Sligo
    St. Anne's 50 Played €20.00 Sublin
    Rosslare 51 €40.00 Opens Wexford
    Arklow 52 €40 opens Wicklow
    European 53 Played €60.00 Wicklow

Mike . I've played 22 of above. . But I know a few of above are not considered Links.

So of the links I'm only just at about 50 % .

Is interesting that what a Links is even debated.

So I have a long way to go . Not to mention the ones I haven't played . North and west . Are far enough and expensive.

I wouldn't be bothered myself with 2nd courses. Well I would . But unrealistic .

I hope to target North / donegal next.
    Winter rates / opens.

On a side note. I don't think a GUI member should be ever charged full rate.

Even if a token reduction. We are different to tourists , as reciprocating rights would be a factor.

Mike . I've played 22 of above. . But I know a few of above are not considered Links.

So of the links I'm only just at about 50 % .

Is interesting that what a Links is even debated.

So I have a long way to go . Not to mention the ones I haven't played . North and west . Are far enough and expensive.

I wouldn't be bothered myself with 2nd courses. Well I would . But unrealistic .

I hope to target North / donegal next.
    Winter rates / opens.

On a side note. I don't think a GUI member should be ever charged full rate.

Even if a token reduction. We are different to tourists , as reciprocating rights would be a factor.

It's a big thing in Scotland having a local rate for the courses. Hope to never have to pay a full rate. Donegal is just super for golf courses. Have only ticked off 3 this year. But ballybunion, tralee and conemara are good ones.
    Second courses at some seem to be just as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Are there any particularly nice courses in the vicinity of Doolin, Clare?

I'll be there for the bank hol weekend, not sure I'll get the chance to play but will have my clubs in the boot anyway. I'd also be on my own, but sure what can you do.

I know Lahinch isn't far away, but the old course green fees appear to be €150 which is out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

I got Waterville for €75 as a gui member when they were charging €175 :eek: I wasn't mad on the course but I had very high expectations as it was rated so highly. Suppose the wind, rain (storm) and the fact I played on my own didnt really help!

Plus my cover of my rescue fell off when I threw my bag down beside the 18th green and I forgot to pick it up when finished. Rang a couple days later and the receptionist said nothing was handed in, got the feeling she didnt really look or care. Left a bit of a sour taste as it is my newest club. My own fault, should of just picked it up when it fell! doh....

Haven't swung a club in over a month so gonna pop up the mighty road to play the two Ballyliffin courses in a few weeks, might come home via Narin to get another links under the belt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    Haven't swung a club in over a month so gonna pop up the mighty road to play the two Ballyliffin courses in a few weeks, might come home via Narin to get another links under the belt

fancy heading to moate today? Open day?!!

anyone fancy Tralee on Monday 3rd August. Open comp, €40 a man....Im open to play any time really during the day....its a team comp, so need someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Off to East Lothian tomorrow morning with Gullane #1 tomorrow and #2 on Saturday :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Off to East Lothian tomorrow morning with Gullane #1 tomorrow and #2 on Saturday :D:D:D

....not a patch on St Margaret's I heard

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Played the cashen in ballybunion today. Cracking course was relatively calm as well. Scratched the second got sucked into going for pin ended up plugged in the bunker, ended up with 36.
    Highlight of the round was birdie from the bunker to the right of 16.

I've loose intentions to play the Ballyliffins and Narin the week after next if anyone has much interest to tag along, also playing Rosses on Sept 12 in my society and cost is €60 for visitors if anyone interested...

• Advertisement

Great to see some clubs do what we are calling for here.

GUI%20Green%20fee%20rate.jpg

Advertisement