Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Fire Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Banana peel

Could somebody post a link to the Guinness recruitment for firefighters, I can't seem to find it. Thanks

ie.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=a4b64dcb36944a65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

If you wear glasses, does that mean you have no hope? Even though I know lads that work in the daa fireservice that wear glasses.

Double standards no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

No, as people get older they may need glasses
    A person may not need glasses starting a job, but as life goes on they may require them for various tasks.

Good luck to everybody going for the job

FRIENDO wrote: »
    No, as people get older they may need glasses
    A person may not need glasses starting a job, but as life goes on they may require them for various tasks.

Good luck to everybody going for the job

So wearing glasses entering the position is a big no no then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

cruais wrote: »

Not necessarily but you do need excellent eyesight. Generally all brigades require 20/20.

Well not all but most do. I guess it depends how bad your eyesight is .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭big.left90

Tintin8 wrote: »
    By the sounds of things most people are finding the calculations difficult so alls not lost yet

Hopefully not, 17 seconds looking at some of those questions wasn't enough plus the other ten on the answer page, I was just about to attempt an answer then bang new question. Don't get me wrong I got a few right I reckon. Still though I've never encountered a test like that before and it was a right head wrecker, like you said though a lot of people have faced the same situation with not having enough time to answer etc so hopefully Ive done less crap than others :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I don't know what medical you will do, however going by the Airport Fire Officer Association, RFFS Medical & Fitness policy Guidance Document, assessment at recruitment

Vision-visual acuity-Operation
    At least 6/9 at 6m in each eye tested separately and N5 at 30-50cm binocular with (permitted) correction if necessary.
    At least 6/60 at 6m and N48 30-50cm binocular without the use of correction.

Vision-visual acuity-RVR
    At lease 6/9 at 6m in each eye tested separately and N5 at 30-50cm binocular with (permitted) correction if necessary.

Vision-visual fields
    Normal to confrontation.

Vision- colour
    Normal Ishihara (24 plate version, first 15 read normal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

big.left90 wrote: »
    Hopefully not, 17 seconds looking at some of those questions wasn't enough plus the other ten on the answer page, I was just about to attempt an answer then bang new question. Don't get me wrong I got a few right I reckon. Still though I've never encountered a test like that before and it was a right head wrecker, like you said though a lot of people have faced the same situation with not having enough time to answer etc so hopefully Ive done less crap than others :)

That was as hard a test as I've done.

Think I got a good few right, but there were demo a few howlers in there, where I'd moved the wrong numbers around.

I was actually shaking by the end of it! traumatised!

Think I got a good few right, but there were demo a few howlers in there, where I'd moved the wrong numbers around.

I'm not looking forward to it.

How many calculation questions did you have to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I don't know what medical you will do, however going by the Airport Fire Officer Association, RFFS Medical & Fitness policy Guidance Document, assessment at recruitment

Vision-visual acuity-Operation
    At least 6/9 at 6m in each eye tested separately and N5 at 30-50cm binocular with (permitted) correction if necessary.
    At least 6/60 at 6m and N48 30-50cm binocular without the use of correction.

Vision-visual acuity-RVR
    At lease 6/9 at 6m in each eye tested separately and N5 at 30-50cm binocular with (permitted) correction if necessary.

Vision-visual fields
    Normal to confrontation.

Vision- colour
    Normal Ishihara (24 plate version, first 15 read normal)

I have glasses with 20 years but have no idea if that means that you would have a chance or not haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

I'm not looking forward to it.

How many calculation questions did you have to do?

I have yet to do mine but this is what I was told by a few guys who did the test yesterday.

you have around 20 seconds to answer each question and immediately following this 20 seconds you are given a 10 second opportunity to TYPE your answer into the answer box. This is different from the practice questions where its multiple choice.

The test is broken up into 4 sections or rounds each with 5 questions in each round. The first round is easy compared to the second and the second round is more difficult than the first but easier than the 3rd and so on so gradually gets more difficult.

and every single one of them said the test is a ball buster :-/

Was unreal haha I can imagine it'll be mostly crap scores across the board, you'd want to be a hybrid Einstein/carol vordermam even with a calculator, ive done a bit of reading about calculations tests and a lot of people make a absolulte ****e of the SHL ones because of how misleading the practice questions and the actual tests are :/ but don't get me wrong if you've time to practice and develop the technique you can only get better somehowe though I think it was a curveball thrown at us. A lad in my AFS unit spoke to HR about the test this morning an apparently they're combining scores from first round verbal, calculations and cvs for the nex round. Don't quote me on that though because this lad is a bit of a Pinocchio ;)

maniac2000 wrote: »
    I have yet to do mine but this is what I was told by a few guys who did the test yesterday.

you have around 20 seconds to answer each question and immediately following this 20 seconds you are given a 10 second opportunity to TYPE your answer into the answer box. This is different from the practice questions where its multiple choice.

The test is broken up into 4 sections or rounds each with 5 questions in each round. The first round is easy compared to the second and the second round is more difficult than the first but easier than the 3rd and so on so gradually gets more difficult.

and every single one of them said the test is a ball buster :-/

Agreed first round was a BALLBUSTER altogether, by the end my brain had fried and I hadn't even the chance to type an answer for some questions :o I felt sick after it, I was on a complete downer after it, but I've still got hope .

For those wondering why the practice is much easier, there's only 2 variables and they were straight forward. Example was ?x5=100 no brainier then go into the actual test with the time limits and more variables and a blank variable in the equation it's a head wrecker and you'll see for yourself how mind numbing it is given the sparse time limit

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smokie32

Just completed the tests. Not impressed :( Ballbuster is right! Good luck to anyone still to complete them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mother. Of. God. That was a fookin nightmare. :eek:

I'd say I got about a quarter of them. It wasn't that the questions were hard, more that you didn't have time to work them out. TBH I took comfort from knowing that others found them so difficult so didn't get as stressed over them as I would if I wasn't following this thread. I'd imagine the purpose of them is to assess your reaction to making decisions under pressure.

The first test where you read the text wasn't too bad.

Big Nasty wrote: »

I'd say I got about a quarter of them. It wasn't that the questions were hard, more that you didn't have time to work them out. TBH I took comfort from knowing that others found them so difficult so didn't get as stressed over them as I would if I wasn't following this thread. I'd imagine the purpose of them is to assess your reaction to making decisions under pressure.

Bang on, if you had a minute you'd work them out no bother. judging by the responses in this thread and speaking to a few lads that have done them we're all in the same boat, i know a few people who've done it now and the response has been the same.

Bang on, if you had a minute you'd work them out no bother. judging by the responses in this thread and speaking to a few lads that have done them we're all in the same boat, i know a few people who've done it now and the response has been the same.

Once the pass rate is 20% we'll be grand! :D

That was difficult lads. Passages ok but I'm even doubting myself on them nevermind the maths.

Answered most questions but have no idea if they were ok . :-(

That was difficult lads. Passages ok but I'm even doubting myself on them nevermind the maths.

Answered most questions but have no idea if they were ok . :-(

With the passages you had the same text three times so you should have answered true / false / can't say once for each passage. That was my take on it anyhow.

I'd say I got about 65% on them plus 25% on the maths giving me a combined 45%.

Not holding out too much hope after that. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Finished there, reckon I rushed the verbal a bit because I had 9 minutes left at the end so I probably missed a few. Think I got all the numerical except for 3 but could have easily messed up on a few others.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Think I got all the numerical except for 3.

:eek:

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Finished there, reckon I rushed the verbal a bit because I had 9 minutes left at the end so I probably missed a few. Think I got all the numerical except for 3 but could have easily messed up on a few others.

Fair play, I had 26 done at the end of the verbal, numerical, I won't even go there.

Once the pass rate is 20% we'll be grand! :D

Aww yeah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Just done it there dont think ill be going any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Just finished both tests. Thought it was ok a bit of pressure but it's done. Not much I can do now just pray for a miracle. Best of luck to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

That was fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

The propose of them is to measure how good you are at concentrating and your brain power Hahahaha. We got all ours done right. I used a calculator and had someone calling out the questions. Then there was a 3rd person who wrote down the question so we checked our answers after. All correct lol. We were lucky.

I didn't get through to the 2nd stage but I was able to do all the maths for the other 2 boys to go through to the interview. Not bad for a part time fireman that daa randomly removed from selection lol

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

That's fantastic! so with motly 90%+ of the people here saying they found the maths hard and pretty much saying they didn't get them all right, then you helping your friends out (which Is really kind of you by the way) to admitting on a public forum that has a chance of a DAA HR personnel monitoring, you have basically hung your two "pals" out to dry because of your bitterness at been cut from round one.

So when they see your friends got 100% in the maths (and anybody else for that matter) and they then ask them to resit the maths under supervision.....will you be able to get the day off work to go in and help them out? hopefully they get 100% again the next time anyway coz it would be terrible having the responsibility resting on your shoulders that your friends got removed from one of the stages due to you not been able to help them.

For everyone else that done the tests and ferl they didn't do good....don't be worrying and best of luck to you all.

ADO wrote: »
    That's fantastic! so with motly 90%+ of the people here saying they found the maths hard and pretty much saying they didn't get them all right, then you helping your friends out (which Is really kind of you by the way) to admitting on a public forum that has a chance of a DAA HR personnel monitoring, you have basically hung your two "pals" out to dry because of your bitterness at been cut from round one.

So when they see your friends got 100% in the maths (and anybody else for that matter) and they then ask them to resit the maths under supervision.....will you be able to get the day off work to go in and help them out? hopefully they get 100% again the next time anyway coz it would be terrible having the responsibility resting on your shoulders that your friends got removed from one of the stages due to you not been able to help them.

For everyone else that done the tests and ferl they didn't do good....don't be worrying and best of luck to you all.

Well from what I hear everyone with a bit of cop on teamed up to do it as this form of cheating is widespread and common.
    I'm guessing there's a thousand or so after doing it so there's bound to be loads of people getting them all right.
    And I'm not bitter :) I don't mind at all. I'm still happy where I am :) there's no responsibility on me. It's all good. It's a team effort.
    And even if daa are monitoring. They don't know who I am or who my pals are. So it's all good. Don't be upset because I helped them out and they got through.

• Advertisement

Well from what I hear everyone with a bit of cop on teamed up to do it as this form of cheating is widespread and common.
    I'm guessing there's a thousand or so after doing it so there's bound to be loads of people getting them all right.
    And I'm not bitter :) I don't mind at all. I'm still happy where I am :) there's no responsibility on me. It's all good. It's a team effort.
    And even if daa are monitoring. They don't know who I am or who my pals are. So it's all good. Don't be upset because I helped them out and they got through.

You did all sign an honesty contract at the beginning of the assessment.

You did all sign an honesty contract at the beginning of the assessment.

So did everyone ? Do you think I'm the only one out of thousands to help out? When you're a fireman the first thing u do is get help if u can't do it on your own. The trick is in the trade.

So did everyone ? Do you think I'm the only one out of thousands to help out? When you're a fireman the first thing u do is get help if u can't do it on your own. The trick is in the trade.

I think you're one of very very few. At least I hope that. I'm probably a little bit naive to think that most people have a basic level of integrity needed to compete fairly.

I think you're one of very very few. At least I hope that. I'm probably a little bit naive to think that most people have a basic level of integrity needed to compete fairly.

I was going to do the first part on my own. Then I heard and people I know heard that there were groups all over the country doing it in teams. It's very unfair. I'm totally against it. I only did it because it's the only way to stand a chance.

The only way to fix it is to do it off line in a hall like croke park or somewhere. That's the only way you'll get a fair reading. It would be a level playing field then.

I was naive too. Was. From now on I know what way u do it.

don't get stressed lads because some people had help and others did it off their own back. best of luck to all involved but remember one thing.....you can cheat the aptitude all day long but you can't cheat an interview

I sincerely doubt there was groups all over the country doing it in teams, I know a few people that have done the test and not one of them got every answer and a lot of them didn't even get a chance to put in answers.

Secondly I'd put money that the DAA are monitoring this somehow.

And finally I don't think this calculations test is as eliminatory as people think, it's not so much about the maths itself it's about the reaction. And anyone who got together in teams to do it will have the same ip gateway from the broadband source and as far as I know so they can tell.

Alls I know is I gave it my best and as far as im aware it's a combo of cv, first round score and this round that's goijg to get us to the next round.

So good luck to the dishonest people amongst us who think theyre going to blag their way in.

I sincerely doubt there was groups all over the country doing it in teams, I know a few people that have done the test and not one of them got every answer and a lot of them didn't even get a chance to put in answers.

Secondly I'd put money that the DAA are monitoring this somehow.

And finally I don't think this calculations test is as eliminatory as people think, it's not so much about the maths itself it's about the reaction. And anyone who got together in teams to do it will have the same ip gateway from the broadband source and as far as I know so they can tell.

Alls I know is I gave it my best and as far as im aware it's a combo of cv, first round score and this round that's goijg to get us to the next round.

So good luck to the dishonest people amongst us who think theyre going to blag their way in.

Yeah, I'm assuming the reaction times play a part in scoring. That's a bit of a silver lining to people doing it in teams.

Right or wrong I had an answer for every question within a second of the answer box appearing.

The propose of them is to measure how good you are at concentrating and your brain power Hahahaha. We got all ours done right. I used a calculator and had someone calling out the questions. Then there was a 3rd person who wrote down the question so we checked our answers after. All correct lol. We were lucky.

I didn't get through to the 2nd stage but I was able to do all the maths for the other 2 boys to go through to the interview. Not bad for a part time fireman that daa randomly removed from selection lol

You do realise the daa will read this . Very few will get them all right so you've just put a heat seeker on your mates.

Part of been a fireman is to work in teams but also so is integrity and honesty.

I think everyone is over thinking this completely. I don't believe that just because a few people on boards found it difficult that the other 800 or 900 people won't find it easy or reasonable. sparkfireman and his pals won't be the only ones to get 100% and far from it. it will be a mix of scores from 0 to 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

Sweet Divine Christ - I forgot I applied for a job as an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TTL2015

Lads if you have done aptitude like this before you will see its not about getting them all right. There will be an average score assigned to the test or a cut off limit say. Once you reach it or exceed you should be ok. From experience its no more than 60% and can be lower. 60% of that maths test is 12 answers right. I reckon if you hit that and got 17/18 of the verbal your on your way to interview. Then the aptitude is out the window. Not carried forward to interview. Level playing field going into interview. So don't be concerned about the geniuses getting all the maths right. Your not expected too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

Anybody in the know,any idea of the numbers who where allowed to do the second round and how many will progress.

Or are we just on guesses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Savio11

When do people think we will here the results.?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

Savio11 wrote: »
    When do people think we will here the results.?

They seemed to be moving quickly and we don't really have any idea how many have progressed but hopefully some time this week.

Anyone hear anything back yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mick085

Heard nothing yet anyway. Might take a bit longer as I presume it will be the DAA hr dept contacting successful people with an interview date and time. Anybody know any different?

mick085 wrote: »
    Heard nothing yet anyway. Might take a bit longer as I presume it will be the DAA hr dept contacting successful people with an interview date and time. Anybody know any different?

Heard nothing but I agree with what you're saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Nothing as of yet

Ive worked it out that between receiving the first and second tests via email, it was a ten day period.

So if they stick to that time frame, I reckon tomorrow could be the day to hear something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭patsat

Ive worked it out that between receiving the first and second tests via email, it was a ten day period.

So if they stick to that time frame, I reckon tomorrow could be the day to hear something.

With tomorrow being Good Friday and Easter Monday coming I'd imagine we won't be hearing for another few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement