Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen King's It

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

lads....this looking bloody deadly.

Can't wait for it to come out.

Yes boi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Basq wrote: »
    Not sure..

.. Georgie hitting the Derry Public Works sign while chasing the boat felt really out of place.. could be been in a Wayans Brothers trailer.

My general consensus is remakes are not necessary, and this doesn't do much to convince me otherwise.

I'd generally agree however the source material is outstanding and the original movie is frankly rubbish (aside from Curry's turn) so a reboot is welcome.

Plus I wouldn't consider it a remake in the strictest sense as its a new version of a book as opposed to an original screen play.

Curry's performance deserved such a better vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Will be interesting to see if the Henry Bowers role plays out something like Eden lake. Would imagine they are sticking close to the book and what an odious character he was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I feel like this will be a much better movie overall but less memorable because Pennywise won't be as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought the miniseries was good for the kids part but pretty meh for the adults part. Hopefully this is a better version.

Don't know if the trailer was edited in a way to hide it for some reason, but Billy isn't stuttering?

As someone pointed out elsewhere, Curry's Pennywise was a happy friendly looking clown who kids would go up to no problem, but I think kids would be scared to go anywhere near this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't know if the trailer was edited in a way to hide it for some reason, but Billy isn't stuttering?

Was wondering the exact same thing... he only has a few lines though in the trailer and he didn't stutter all the time. I'd be surprised if he didn't have it considering they seem to want to stick closer to the source. Not sure how much I'd care though if they got rid of it. It's just a device to make Billy look weaker/geeky/feeble so is it really necessary? Plays well in the book but I remember in the mini-series that it felt gimmicky... that might just be down to the quality of that mini-series in general though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looking forward to it. Glad they didn't try to cram it all into the one film.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Was wondering the exact same thing... he only has a few lines though in the trailer and he didn't stutter all the time. I'd be surprised if he didn't have it considering they seem to want to stick closer to the source. Not sure how much I'd care though if they got rid of it. It's just a device to make Billy look weaker/geeky/feeble so is it really necessary? Plays well in the book but I remember in the mini-series that it felt gimmicky... that might just be down to the quality of that mini-series in general though.

But it was his "loser" attribute. Would be like making Ben thin or Eddie tall and asthma-free

But it was his "loser" attribute. Would be like making Ben thin or Eddie tall and asthma-free

Yeah, but just being a general geek/loser would work in the narrative just fine. They're just a group of "loser" kids who get bullied and don't fit in. I'm just saying that if they are dropping it, I don't think it'd be such a big loss in the grand scheme of things. As I said, I'd be surprised if they did drop the stutter but it is a bit odd that Billy's few lines were all stutter free so.... maybe?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's not needed but just noticed it missing. Maybe they just didn't want the stuttering in the trailer as it wouldn't help sell it to the general public if the voiceover is stuttering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

ps3lover wrote: »
    Isn't that the way it happens in the book?

No, in the book it just gets away from him and slips down the drain ..

Yeah, it's not needed but just noticed it missing. Maybe they just didn't want the stuttering in the trailer as it wouldn't help sell it to the general public if the voiceover is stuttering.

It could well be something like that. There's enough going on without having people focus on why one of the kids has a stutter.

Really liked the mood of this trailer, streets/outdoor scenes were just as I imagined them reading the book.

Will be interesting that they slid the timeline ~30years forward ... but the 80s is still nostalgic enough that it will work..

Wonder when part 2 is planned for release ?
    I was hoping they'd make them back to back and have a 2018 release for Pt II ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just finished reading the book. Really is a great book and the characters felt truly fleshed out as children and adults. It's a masterpiece in character work but not without it's flaws.

For the adaptation I think having child actors trying to act with a stutter could make the performance more wooden and take you out of the movie. I think I'd be ok with them ditching the stutter in that sense.

The kids section is much stronger than the adult section and I can see a solid 2-3 hour movie from the kids as part one but part 2 would probably be harder to have make sense as the way it's written is all about pushing forward the kids story via flashback. Will have to wait and see if they go ahead with this.

I think I'd much prefer to see this as a HBO or Netflix 10 episode run to really do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

djkeogh wrote: »
    Just finished reading the book. Really is a great book and the characters felt truly fleshed out as children and adults. It's a masterpiece in character work but not without it's flaws.

For the adaptation I think having child actors trying to act with a stutter could make the performance more wooden and take you out of the movie. I think I'd be ok with them ditching the stutter in that sense.

The kids section is much stronger than the adult section and I can see a solid 2-3 hour movie from the kids as part one but part 2 would probably be harder to have make sense as the way it's written is all about pushing forward the kids story via flashback. Will have to wait and see if they go ahead with this.

I think I'd much prefer to see this as a HBO or Netflix 10 episode run to really do it justice.

Thats a great shout, it would have given ample opportunity to flesh out some of the more nuanced aspects of the book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

What was your favourite part in the book it's been a while since I read it so I'm trying to remember mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A lot of the stuff in the book simply would not work, or could not be shown on tv.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

A lot of the stuff in the book simply would not work, or could not be shown on tv.

Yeah....like the little kiddies orgy towards the end :rolleyes:
    Read the book for the first time recently and thought it was good, not great, until I read that section. Just laughed and closed the book never to finish it. Totally ridiculous and unnecessary from King, no point to it whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have higher hopes foe this than I do for the dark tower, excellent trailer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This looks genuinely scary. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The sewer scene with the boat didn't look as good or creepy as the original but aside from that everything else looked on point, IT always had serious potential for a great film, its looking promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Didn't the book end with an orgy of sorts?

I believe a 'train' is the preferred nomenclature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Billy86 wrote: »
    Not a fan of the new look at all, it's pretty clear which is scarier if you ask me. Tim Curry's original was just flat out creepy, had a real demented touch of pedophile to it or something like that, that just made you feel... uneasy, watching him. The new one looks like a CGI'd version of Chucky.

latest?cb=20140913064150

00002124511pennywise.jpg

file_741959_chucky.jpg

it looks nothing like chuckie.go to specsavers instead of the movies might be a better option.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Trailers have been good. Fingers crossed the quality carries over to the final film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's a fantastic trailer I have to say.

I still see Tim Curry as Pennywise thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

I've never seen the original IT...(shock horror!), but this looks great!

• Advertisement

I've never seen the original IT...(shock horror!), but this looks great!

Aside from Curry its fluckin awful tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Holy ****! what a trailer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Been reading on reddit that the Georgie scene will be very graphic ... :( I kind of hope not, I can't deal with violence against kids on film, even though I loved the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Looking forward to this even more now. Loved the book and the original movie. Hope this lives up to the excellent trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Liked that trailer more than the first..

.. looks mighty good!

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Been reading on reddit that the Georgie scene will be very graphic ... :( I kind of hope not, I can't deal with violence against kids on film, even though I loved the book.

Mainstream movies rarely show the killing of a child so it will be interesting to see how it's handled. Georgie has a particularly brutal death so it could be a tough scene to watch.

The only onscreen death of a child I can remember is in murder set pieces which has a graphic stabbing of a pre teen in it thst was shown in full on screen.

It's something that is very much a taboo subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barbara Muschietti one of the producers said in an interview that they tried to get Tilda Swinton to play Pennywise but she had scheduling issues and wasn't available for the shoot.

That would have been a very interesting cast and I think might have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a nice Easter egg re: Curry's Pennywise in one scene in the trailer. I'll link to the image rather than post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 16 figure8

Does anyone know if they are doing the whole sneak preview thing before Annabelle : Creation (and specifically if Cineworld are showing it)? In American cinemas they are showing the drain scene with Georgie prior to the Annabelle, I'm hoping (but doubt it) that cinemas here are doing the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

figure8 wrote:
    Does anyone know if they are doing the whole sneak preview thing before Annabelle : Creation (and specifically if Cineworld are showing it)? In American cinemas they are showing the drain scene with Georgie prior to the Annabelle, I'm hoping (but doubt it) that cinemas here are doing the same

Saw Annabelle tonight in the IMC and there was only a trailer... Wouldn't want to be watching that scene as a preview myself because it would ruin watching the film next month. Its such a pivotal scene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

That footage is terrifying! I might not be able to handle this one ��. What makes it so scary is the clown doesn't come off as frightening at all in it. More playful and happy, it's like a total 180 of what we've seen so far. The fact that it comes off as so friendly in this sequence makes it 10 times more frightening. It's played a lot better than it was in the mini series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Tried watching the original, thought it was pretty bad. Wooden acting, slow. Perhaps it was good in its day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Heisenbug

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Tried watching the original, thought it was pretty bad. Wooden acting, slow. Perhaps it was good in its day.

Yeah those things are way more noticeable now, but loved it as a kid so I still enjoy the odd rewatch of it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jesus Wept wrote: »

Nah. It wasn't even good in its day.

Tim Curry is fine, but it was typical TV fare of the time. Pretty insipid.

I still think Curry's Pennywise is much, much better than the one in this thing though and I'm not hoping for much to be honest.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I still think Curry's Pennywise is much, much better than the one in this thing though and I'm not hoping for much to be honest.

Bit early to be making that judgement though isn't it? I mean, we've seen glimpse in a few trailers. Kinda like how Ledger was going to be terrible as the Joker... and then wasn't.

I'm talking about looks.

Tim Curry's does it for me. Skarsgard's doesn't.

Just comes across as trying too hard to be scary, instead of just being scary.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm talking about looks.

Tim Curry's does it for me. Skarsgard's doesn't.

Just comes across as trying too hard to be scary, instead of just being scary.

How he behaves, expressions, mannerisms etc in the context of various scenes will determine the look to a large extent so I would be less inclined to judge purely on looks.

True. But, I just don't feel anything for it at the moment.

• Advertisement

Fair enough :) I understand your point.

Advertisement