Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Is this planned to be a two parter? I get the impression that this movie is just about the first encounter with IT as kids and won't show the second encounter as adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Great trailer genuinely scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Bacchus wrote: »
    Is this planned to be a two parter? I get the impression that this movie is just about the first encounter with IT as kids and won't show the second encounter as adults.

I think it covers just the kids alright. 2 parter has been rumoured but not confirmed I believe.

Holy crap, I loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

One would imagine so, there is a huge volume of text to get through.

Trailer is fantastic, really looking forward to seeing the movie.

Between this and the Dark Tower it could be an unrale 2017 for Mr King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not sure..

.. Georgie hitting the Derry Public Works sign while chasing the boat felt really out of place.. could be been in a Wayans Brothers trailer.

My general consensus is remakes are not necessary, and this doesn't do much to convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

King has confirmed it's definitely two parts. Officially, part one is known as The Loser's Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Basq wrote: »
    Not sure..

.. Georgie hitting the Derry Public Works sign while chasing the boat felt really out of place.. could be been in a Wayans Brothers trailer.

Isn't that the way it happens in the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It actually reminded me of Nedry smacking his bonce in Jurassic Park, but yeah, I think it's how it happened in the book. Having said that, it's 25 years since I read it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It actually reminded me of Nedry smacking his bonce in Jurassic Park, but yeah, I think it's how it happened in the book. Having said that, it's 25 years since I read it. :o
    It is..
    As Georgie sprinted after his boat, he became so preoccupied that he never noticed the Derry Public Works barricade. He ran face-first into it like a moron and fu**ing ate sh*t. It was hilarious. Anyway, back to the boat thing.

But all that shot is missing is a "BOoOoOoNNGG" and Georgie gets up and shakes his head seeing stars.

Probably trying to play it closer to the how the book painted it, and I fully expect it to get many unexpected laughs in cinemas across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

lads....this looking bloody deadly.

Can't wait for it to come out.

Yes boi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Basq wrote: »
    Not sure..

My general consensus is remakes are not necessary, and this doesn't do much to convince me otherwise.

I'd generally agree however the source material is outstanding and the original movie is frankly rubbish (aside from Curry's turn) so a reboot is welcome.

Plus I wouldn't consider it a remake in the strictest sense as its a new version of a book as opposed to an original screen play.

Curry's performance deserved such a better vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Will be interesting to see if the Henry Bowers role plays out something like Eden lake. Would imagine they are sticking close to the book and what an odious character he was

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I feel like this will be a much better movie overall but less memorable because Pennywise won't be as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought the miniseries was good for the kids part but pretty meh for the adults part. Hopefully this is a better version.

Don't know if the trailer was edited in a way to hide it for some reason, but Billy isn't stuttering?

As someone pointed out elsewhere, Curry's Pennywise was a happy friendly looking clown who kids would go up to no problem, but I think kids would be scared to go anywhere near this one.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Don't know if the trailer was edited in a way to hide it for some reason, but Billy isn't stuttering?

Was wondering the exact same thing... he only has a few lines though in the trailer and he didn't stutter all the time. I'd be surprised if he didn't have it considering they seem to want to stick closer to the source. Not sure how much I'd care though if they got rid of it. It's just a device to make Billy look weaker/geeky/feeble so is it really necessary? Plays well in the book but I remember in the mini-series that it felt gimmicky... that might just be down to the quality of that mini-series in general though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looking forward to it. Glad they didn't try to cram it all into the one film.

Was wondering the exact same thing... he only has a few lines though in the trailer and he didn't stutter all the time. I'd be surprised if he didn't have it considering they seem to want to stick closer to the source. Not sure how much I'd care though if they got rid of it. It's just a device to make Billy look weaker/geeky/feeble so is it really necessary? Plays well in the book but I remember in the mini-series that it felt gimmicky... that might just be down to the quality of that mini-series in general though.

But it was his "loser" attribute. Would be like making Ben thin or Eddie tall and asthma-free

But it was his "loser" attribute. Would be like making Ben thin or Eddie tall and asthma-free

Yeah, but just being a general geek/loser would work in the narrative just fine. They're just a group of "loser" kids who get bullied and don't fit in. I'm just saying that if they are dropping it, I don't think it'd be such a big loss in the grand scheme of things. As I said, I'd be surprised if they did drop the stutter but it is a bit odd that Billy's few lines were all stutter free so.... maybe?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's not needed but just noticed it missing. Maybe they just didn't want the stuttering in the trailer as it wouldn't help sell it to the general public if the voiceover is stuttering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

ps3lover wrote: »
    Isn't that the way it happens in the book?

No, in the book it just gets away from him and slips down the drain ..

Yeah, it's not needed but just noticed it missing. Maybe they just didn't want the stuttering in the trailer as it wouldn't help sell it to the general public if the voiceover is stuttering.

It could well be something like that. There's enough going on without having people focus on why one of the kids has a stutter.

Really liked the mood of this trailer, streets/outdoor scenes were just as I imagined them reading the book.

Will be interesting that they slid the timeline ~30years forward ... but the 80s is still nostalgic enough that it will work..

Wonder when part 2 is planned for release ?
    I was hoping they'd make them back to back and have a 2018 release for Pt II ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just finished reading the book. Really is a great book and the characters felt truly fleshed out as children and adults. It's a masterpiece in character work but not without it's flaws.

For the adaptation I think having child actors trying to act with a stutter could make the performance more wooden and take you out of the movie. I think I'd be ok with them ditching the stutter in that sense.

The kids section is much stronger than the adult section and I can see a solid 2-3 hour movie from the kids as part one but part 2 would probably be harder to have make sense as the way it's written is all about pushing forward the kids story via flashback. Will have to wait and see if they go ahead with this.

I think I'd much prefer to see this as a HBO or Netflix 10 episode run to really do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

djkeogh wrote: »
    Just finished reading the book. Really is a great book and the characters felt truly fleshed out as children and adults. It's a masterpiece in character work but not without it's flaws.

For the adaptation I think having child actors trying to act with a stutter could make the performance more wooden and take you out of the movie. I think I'd be ok with them ditching the stutter in that sense.

The kids section is much stronger than the adult section and I can see a solid 2-3 hour movie from the kids as part one but part 2 would probably be harder to have make sense as the way it's written is all about pushing forward the kids story via flashback. Will have to wait and see if they go ahead with this.

I think I'd much prefer to see this as a HBO or Netflix 10 episode run to really do it justice.

Thats a great shout, it would have given ample opportunity to flesh out some of the more nuanced aspects of the book

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

What was your favourite part in the book it's been a while since I read it so I'm trying to remember mine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

A lot of the stuff in the book simply would not work, or could not be shown on tv.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Advertisement