Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Veteran film, television, and stage actor Kevin Conway has died. Confirmed by his publicists, the actor died Wednesday of a heart attack at 77. Conway got his start in acting at 24, appearing in off-Broadway stage hits like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Elephant Man, and when You Comin' Back, Red Ryder? His first major film role cam in Slaughterhouse-Five, a 1972 movie based on a novel of the same name by Kurt Vonnegut.

His other movie roles include Funny Farm, Invincible, Thirteen Days, Gettsyburg, and Gods and Generals. Genre fans might recognize him for his guest role as a clone of Kahless the Unforgettable in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

deise08 wrote: »
    Veteran film, television, and stage actor Kevin Conway has died. Confirmed by his publicists, the actor died Wednesday of a heart attack at 77. Conway got his start in acting at 24, appearing in off-Broadway stage hits like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Elephant Man, and when You Comin' Back, Red Ryder? His first major film role cam in Slaughterhouse-Five, a 1972 movie based on a novel of the same name by Kurt Vonnegut.

His other movie roles include Funny Farm, Invincible, Thirteen Days, Gettsyburg, and Gods and Generals. Genre fans might recognize him for his guest role as a clone of Kahless the Unforgettable in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Remember him now. Played a scheming air force general who didn't trust the Kennedys in Thirteen Days (terrific movie). Also, Sean Penn's slobbish father-in-law in Mystic River.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

deise08 wrote: »

Just read up on his credits. He did the voice over for the revamped "The Outer Limits". He is to blame for many nightmares as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Raphael Coleman, who played Eric in 2005's Nanny McPhee has died at just 25 years of age. After appearing in only three more movies, he quit acting to concentrate on his education. He graduated in zoology and turned to activism, working with Extinction Rebellion. Cause of death has yet to be released (BBC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Raphael Coleman, who played Eric in 2005's Nanny McPhee has died at just 25 years of age. After appearing in only three more movies, he quit acting to concentrate on his education. He graduated in zoology and turned to activism, working with Extinction Rebellion. Cause of death has yet to be released (BBC).
    From his mother:

https://twitter.com/LizJensenWriter/status/1225861309092319232

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Queen of Katwe actress Nikita Pearl Waligwa dies aged 15 only - RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Queen of Katwe actress Nikita Pearl Waligwa dies aged 15 only - RIP

Ah that's sad. Just read it was a brain tumor. She really got dealt a bad hand in life. Too young to go.

John Shrapnel, supporting British actor in such as Gladiator, Troy and K19 among others.
    (An ancestor invented the exploding cannonball which gave it it's name.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MfMan wrote: »
    John Shrapnel, supporting British actor in such as Gladiator, Troy and K19 among others.
    (An ancestor invented the exploding cannonball which gave it it's name.)

I remember his voice, deep sonorous, commanding, controlled ... He was King Nestor in Troy and also on TV he was a reliable presence in the likes of Midsomer Murders (twice!) and Jonathan Creek. RIP John.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I remember his voice, deep sonorous, commanding, controlled ... He was King Nestor in Troy and also on TV he was a reliable presence in the likes of Midsomer Murders (twice!) and Jonathan Creek. RIP John.

the name didnt ring a bell but when i googled him the face was very familiar.

the name didnt ring a bell but when i googled him the face was very familiar.
    Same. He played Senator Gaius in Gladiator, which is where I know him from, having seen it ... more than once.

serfboard wrote: »
    Same. He played Senator Gaius in Gladiator, which is where I know him from, having seen it ... more than once.

that is the first thing i thought of when i seen his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I remember John Shrapnel from his tv appearances in Inspector Morse and Midsomer Murders and for two films in particular: 101 Dalmations (1996 version) and Notting Hill.

By the way, I know it's off-topic but much is made of his two different appearances in Midsomer Murders. Quite a few character actors had more than one appearance in that show. Just for the record!

If you are trying to remember where he fitted into Notting Hill, he played the UK Press Agent for the Julia Roberts character.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Nikki fritz has passed away at the age of 51 from a cancer battle so it seems. No offical news sources just friends and family posted on facebook. Dubbed the Queen of Cinemax she starred in a lot of those softcore Cinemax movies of the 90s and early 00s they used to show on bravo and the Syfy channel back in the day.Retired from the business to become a qualified dog groomer.

:pac:

Probably not well known but she led an interesting life.

"Diana Serra Cary (born Peggy-Jean Montgomery, October 29, 1918 – February 24, 2020), known as Baby Peggy, was an American child film actress, vaudevillian, author and silent film historian. She was the last living film star of the Silent Era of Hollywood."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Serra_Cary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

403full-dyanne-thorne.jpg

Dyanne Thorne, most famous / notorious for playing the titular Ilsa in a number of "nazisploitation" sleaze fests died late last month. Doesn't seem to have been mentioned here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

James Lipton has died at 93: though he wasn't too well-known as an actor and mostly worked in TV, he became famous as an incisive interviewer on his show Inside The Actor's Studio. Pretty much every famous actor or director was on there at some point - it was almost mandatory if you became a big name. Here he is with describing of his favourite moments, then getting Dustin Hoffman all emotional about Sir Laurence Olivier:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    James Lipton has died at 93: though he wasn't too well-known as an actor and mostly worked in TV, he became famous as an incisive interviewer on his show Inside The Actor's Studio. Pretty much every famous actor or director was on there at some point - it was almost mandatory if you became a big name.

I hadn't realised that's where he was famous from... I remember his cameo as the Warden in Arrested Development. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ah no. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

peteeeed wrote: »

RIP

I think the last thing I seen him in was Robin Hood with Russell Crowe

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

I think the last thing I seen him in was Robin Hood with Russell Crowe

If you have seen Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Star Wars: Episode VII, Game of Thrones among others you will have seen him since then.

RIP

If you have seen Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Star Wars: Episode VII, Game of Thrones among others you will have seen him since then.

RIP

:o

I'm afraid I am one of the few not a GOT fan

One to remove from The Veterans thread. RIP Max. Was good also in The Quiller Memorandum.

I thought he brought great presence to his role as the scientist Dr. Kynes in Dune. RIP.

ebbe3c7cd9e014f524ab4d4607e3e67a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I know everyone has a different frame of reference for him but I thought he was great in Shutter Island.

One of the first that comes to mind is "Escape to Victory" weirdly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Max was in so many great movies The Exorcists will stand out for me. Good tribute below

• Advertisement

Max was in so many great movies The Exorcists will stand out for me. Good tribute below

Just looking at his credits at the end, he has a credit for every year since 1964 to present except 2003, 2017 and 2019. One film is in post production so he'll likely get a credit this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It pains me to hear Max Von Sydow being described as 'known for' GOT's. I understand GOT was popular (not with me) and it was the last from him, but still.

I was only watching Citizen X a few days before he died and I did wonder what age/condition he was in today. He only had a small part in Citizen X but still was very good performance interrogating the serial killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

https://www.insider.com/game-of-thrones-star-wars-max-von-sydow-dead-aged-90-2020-3

'Game of Thrones' and 'Star Wars' actor Max von Sydow has died aged 90

For

Fuck

Sake

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tony EH wrote: »
    https://www.insider.com/game-of-thrones-star-wars-max-von-sydow-dead-aged-90-2020-3

'Game of Thrones' and 'Star Wars' actor Max von Sydow has died aged 90

For

Fuck

Sake
    Gotta pump up them clicks. :rolleyes:

He finally lost that game of chess then...

BTW, not sure he qualifies for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Probably not. He has his own RIP thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

RIP Lucia Bosè
    Italian Actress, worked with Antonioni and Fellini
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0098393/

MV5BNjgxYzVhMWQtZjlhMC00OTgyLTk3NjUtMTMxOGFjNjJhYWJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc4MzI2NQ@@._V1_.jpg

otnomart wrote: »
    RIP Lucia Bosè
    Italian Actress, worked with Antonioni and Fellini
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0098393/
    Died from Corona virus in Segovia, Spain.
    El Mundo wrote:
    Lucia Bosé dies at 89 years of coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Iconic horror director Stuart Gordon has died aged 72. He was the director of the likes of Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, Dreams of the Witch House and Dagon among others. Re-Animator is a personal favourite and one of best examples of over the top 80s splatter ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One of the best things about the 80s :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Iconic horror director Stuart Gordon has died aged 72. He was the director of the likes of Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, Dreams of the Witch House and Dagon among others. Re-Animator is a personal favourite and one of best examples of over the top 80s splatter ever made.

The great made in Ireland Space Film... Space Truckers as well :)

Actor Mark Blum, 69, has died from complications due to coronavirus.

He had major supporting roles in Desperately Seeking Susan, Crocodile Dundee and The Presidio.

Mark-Blum-2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

^^^^

Immediately recognised the face but wouldnt have known the name.

^^^^

Immediately recognised the face but wouldnt have known the name.

funnily enough i recognised both faces but never knew they were the same person.

• Advertisement

He was also in "Mozart in the Jungle" if anyone has watched that series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Classical composer Krzysztof Penderecki has died. While not a soundtrack composer in the movie industry. his compositions were particularly suited to horror films. His Polymorphia and other pieces were used to great effect in The Exorcist and more recent films such as Fearless and Children of Men, while six of his pieces were used in The Shining, such as this:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Classical composer Krzysztof Penderecki has died. While not a soundtrack composer in the movie industry. his compositions were particularly suited to horror films. His Polymorphia and other pieces were used to great effect in The Exorcist and more recent films such as Fearless and Children of Men, while six of his pieces were used in The Shining, such as this:

Speaking of music Eric Weissberg, the man credited with the Dueling Banjos from Deliverance also died a few days ago.

Wow that's not too dissimilar to Aliens soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Wars actor Andrew Jack ~~~ Hope right thread for this post? (& correct imdb link?)

Star Wars actor Andrew Jack dies aged 76 ‘of Covid-19’

MV5BMWMzOTkwYjAtY2Y1Yy00MDc2LWI2MjUtNmZjOTEwODdhMmQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQyMTg3NQ@@._V1_.jpg

MV5BMzE4ZDE3OWYtZjY3My00YTFmLTkwMDEtZGJjNTQ0ZTBlNGUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQyMTg3NQ@@._V1_.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement