Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

visatorro wrote: »
    Do you roll after? Presume you can't roll with your spikey roller?

No you use a Cambridge or flat roller. You either roll or throw out parlour washing. It's to guarentee soil contact for the seed. Also protects aganist slugs if they are around. I didn't roll the calf paddocks. Want to see the effect without rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote: »
    No you use a Cambridge or flat roller. You either roll or throw out parlour washing. It's to guarentee soil contact for the seed. Also protects aganist slugs if they are around. I didn't roll the calf paddocks. Want to see the effect without rolling.

Have a flat roller here.

Have a flat roller here.

You have to play it by ear really. Like yesterday the ground was too tender for rolling after I was finished as there was fairly wet patches. The lady wasn't going to put horses out till end of June so the grass should be well established at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have a flat roller here.

Id be afraid tge ridges would bury the seed to deep on a cambridge. Flat roller is better job

Id be afraid tge ridges would bury the seed to deep on a cambridge. Flat roller is better job

Some lads reckon it's better for protection aganist the wind but each to thier own

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My first thing would be to throw a load of lime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

A seed bed just has to be soild and the ground exposed. If you till the ground like mad All you are left with at times is powdery soil which is poached easily when wet.

Most of my work is repairing patchy reseeds or reseeds after the first winter. Poweharrows leave the ground very vulnerable to holding water unless very well rolled numerous times. All the seed needs is soil contact and that's where the roller comes in.

Clover is usually sown at 2kg an acre. The clover itself is expensive compared to grass seed so not sure about that but seeding run of harrow is €25 and any preparation runs are €10

The old saying is "the smaller the seed the firmer the bed". You should be able cycle across a field that's reseeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

I’ve a bit of ground taken on a 5 year lease and am thinking of stitching in some clover and possibly chicory as well, it’s been limed and pk levels are good, do u think it’d be worth doing? Will be grazed by sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

TheDoc77 wrote: »
    I’ve a bit of ground taken on a 5 year lease and am thinking of stitching in some clover and possibly chicory as well, it’s been limed and pk levels are good, do u think it’d be worth doing? Will be grazed by sheep

We did it years ago, it came up well but the sheep sward was just too thick for it, I was block grazing grass early in that year and before i moved on the sheep I spread clover seed and walked it in with the sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

wrangler wrote: »
    We did it years ago, it came up well but the sheep sward was just too thick for it, I was block grazing grass early in that year and before i moved on the sheep I spread clover seed and walked it in with the sheep.

Would that work on cow ground with a hybrid grass seed.

• Advertisement

farisfat wrote: »

You'd imagine it would...a cow sward is very open towards as sheep sward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

blue5000 wrote: »
    It's not far off, might be a bit light, what speed do you drive at?

Went with setting 40 at 7-7.5km/h and it put out 3 bags to the acre.
    I find the higher the setting the more accurate the app is, it recommended setting 20 at same speed for 1 bag of urea but found it put out closer to 1.5bags.
    Bit of trial and error until i get used to it i guess, thanks for the help.

TheDoc77 wrote: »

Not sure if you'd have to share the sowing rate with the clover tho. Clover rate is 2kg an acre usually.

Yeah it would. I stitched in 40 acres of it last year and it did well. Once the swarth is well open. It'll take about 6 months to fully establish tho

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

What is the draw to clover?

MeTheMan wrote: »

Draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭I says

Draw?

Gra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Clover swards have higher grass yields over the year and most of that during the Summer and Autumn. Slow to get going in Spring though and very open swards till the clover starts growing so more liable to poaching during wet weather.

Higher protein,fixes nitrogen, animals like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I have a field that I ploughed last August but weather broke and never got to do to sow it.

There are a few tuffs of grass and an dock here and there showing. Would it need spraying again?

• Advertisement

Dunedin wrote: »
    I have a field that I ploughed last August but weather broke and never got to do to sow it.

There are a few tuffs of grass and an dock here and there showing. Would it need spraying again?

I'd do it for the sake of weeds that may have blown in and you haven't noticed yet

I'd do it for the sake of weeds that may have blown in and you haven't noticed yet

Would the 6 week post emergence spray not capture that.

If I spray now, I’ve another 7-10 days delay and I’m already going to be tight with this bit out of the grazing rotation

Would the 6 week post emergence spray not capture that.

If I spray now, I’ve another 7-10 days delay and I’m already going to be tight with this bit out of the grazing rotation

Are you powerharrowing?

Are you powerharrowing?

Rotavating. Have my own so will be doing myself

Rotavating. Have my own so will be doing myself

Yeah probably better waiting till the 6 week so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

My little set up, taken 2 years ago:

znON2Ke.jpg

There was a savage clover sward in it, so hoping for a repeat.

Same paddock yesterday which was even worse than in '16, lost count of the number of runs, just needs a rolling:

VzVdpcX.jpg

wpQxpuN.jpg

Justjens wrote: »
    My little set up, taken 2 years ago:

znON2Ke.jpg

There was a savage clover sward in it, so hoping for a repeat.

Same paddock yesterday which was even worse than in '16, lost count of the number of runs, just needs a rolling:

VzVdpcX.jpg

wpQxpuN.jpg

Why are ya reseeding again after 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

How is the seed being broadcast in that pic? And does a chain Harrow help bury the seed? I always thought a tine would..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

Why are ya reseeding again after 2 years

Sacrifical paddock for the sucklers, looked good in early March with a nice pick but then weather went tits-up and I had to feed a few bales in a feeder.

Looks good now tho after a rolling this morning.

• Advertisement

Justjens wrote: »
    Sacrifical paddock for the sucklers, looked good in early March with a nice pick but then weather went tits-up and I had to feed a few bales in a feeder.

Looks good now tho after a rolling this morning.

It should get some nice light rain this week too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cracker of a morning here but a bit on the cool side. Started second round of grazing on Sunday. Everything bar 5 acres first grazed. This field was ate to the dirt on 10th March. Got tine harrow and only 1 bag 0/7/30 since (1 bag urea mid feb) and has more grass than the 5 acres that hasnt been grazed. Reason???? Reseeded March 17. Any bit of ground that is reseeded here is performing well this spring. Any old fields are shocking poor in comparison. Would still have half the cattle in and no silage left only for the reseeds.

Cracker of a morning here but a bit on the cool side. Started second round of grazing on Sunday. Everything bar 5 acres first grazed. This field was ate to the dirt on 10th March. Got tine harrow and only 1 bag 0/7/30 since (1 bag urea mid feb) and has more grass than the 5 acres that hasnt been grazed. Reason???? Reseeded March 17. Any bit of ground that is reseeded here is performing well this spring. Any old fields are shocking poor in comparison. Would still have half the cattle in and no silage left only for the reseeds.

Ya can't beat the new grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

Ya can't beat the new grass

Anyone using a direct drill Aitchsion, Moore etc to reseed?

Cran wrote: »
    Anyone using a direct drill Aitchsion, Moore etc to reseed?

Aitchison has no roller to push down the seed and doesn't scratch the ground enough. the best I've seen is the guttler, the roller on it leaves it like a flock of sheepwalked it into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWmfyjVGq0

wrangler wrote: »
    Aitchison has no roller to push down the seed and doesn't scratch the ground enough. the best I've seen is the guttler, the roller on it leaves it like a flock of sheepwalked it into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWmfyjVGq0

Still needs to be rolled afterwards tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

Was it an early variety that you put in out of interest? or just a normal grazing mix? just curious to know if even the "later" varieties are still coming good with early growth compered with the old swards

Would the reason the 5 acres isn't growing be that it hasn't being grazed and has got no fert.

Would the reason the 5 acres isn't growing be that it hasn't being grazed and has got no fert.

It seems the case here that anything grazed is flying back with great regrowth. Just finished a paddock yesterday so I'm watching to see what it'll do. It's to the butt atm

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

Or could it be that the 5 acres is wet. Hard for anything to grow with wet and cold feet even grass

Bo dearg wrote: »
    Or could it be that the 5 acres is wet. Hard for anything to grow with wet and cold feet even grass

Lots of wet heavy ground here and it's all being grazed.
    Dairy farming here....it's alot harder to manage a beef herd with on of grazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How deep does a mole plough go

Bo dearg wrote: »

His land doesnt know the meaning of wet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

How deep does a mole plough go

You can set the depth anything up to about 2 feet done a bit 3/4 year's ago went down 15/18 inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

Will ya come west reggie.
    https://i.imgur.com/QT6dQbi.jpg

Grazon wrote: »
    Will ya come west reggie.

Can't see that.

Will travel if the price is right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

Maybe now. Is it not free for boards members😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Grazon wrote: »
    QT6dQbi.jpg
    Maybe now. Is it not free for boards members😆

You can see the pictures when someone replies to your post.
    Or alternatively just make sure there's a [url.] and [/.url] on each end of the link or if it's a direct link [img.] and [/img.] to embed it. Like i did above and then the picture will be viewable on site here. Just dont include those dots I put in those wrap arounds.

Has got i bag of urea mid feb and bag 18-6-12+s since. Its growing but nothing to the rate of the reseeds. What was grazed of old ground was extremely slow to show decent regrowth compared to reseeds.

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    Was it an early variety that you put in out of interest? or just a normal grazing mix? just curious to know if even the "later" varieties are still coming good with early growth compered with the old swards

Sinclair Mcgill maxtrix 70 is what i used for it. Its designed for early and late and the clover drives on the mid season growth.

It seems the case here that anything grazed is flying back with great regrowth. Just finished a paddock yesterday so I'm watching to see what it'll do. It's to the butt atm

Now everything is flying tbf. Its back in Feb/Mar that the reseeds kept driving on whereas the old pastures just didnt

• Advertisement
Advertisement