Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2011, 17:24   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthlyPangaea View Post
I'm watching Rejoined. The bit where Jadzia and Bashir 'pull' latinum from Quark's ears ears....hilarious. I laughed when one of his Ferengi employees started sniffing around his ear for money!
Is that the episode where Jadzia has the call on a new Trill initiate? God yer man is one for the cringe thread
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-12-2011, 17:36   #17
GreenWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNow View Post
Is that the episode where Jadzia has the call on a new Trill initiate? God yer man is one for the cringe thread
I didn't think of him actually, he did make me shudder. Nah, it's the one where Jadzia meets up with her ex-wife...symbiont...thing.
13-12-2011, 17:38   #18

Quote:
I didn't think of him actually, he did make me shudder. Nah, it's the one where Jadzia meets up with her ex-wife...symbiont...thing.
The lezzer episode?
(3) thanks from:
13-12-2011, 17:39   #19
downwithpeace

Quote:
Playing God and your right he is.
Thanks from:
13-12-2011, 19:24   #20
GreenWolfe

Quote:
The lezzer episode?
I thought it was more of a married-couple-have-chance-to-be-together type of thing. One of their more tasteless attempts to get ratings from that angle imo. Well, that and the one where the DS9 crew go to Risa - that was awful!

Except for than TNG episode where Riker's with the androgynous alien Star Trek tends to tapdance around LGBT issues in general. Considering the taboos ST has tried to break in the past it's one of my biggest disappointments with the series in general.
Advertisement
13-12-2011, 19:30   #21

Quote:
I thought it was more of a married-couple-have-chance-to-be-together type of thing
Well it was really, & another chance to look at reassociation of Trill society. Capped by Jadzia snogging another girl
13-12-2011, 21:47   #22

Quote:
I thought it was more of a married-couple-have-chance-to-be-together type of thing. One of their more tasteless attempts to get ratings from that angle imo. Well, that and the one where the DS9 crew go to Risa - that was awful!

Except for than TNG episode where Riker's with the androgynous alien Star Trek tends to tapdance around LGBT issues in general. Considering the taboos ST has tried to break in the past it's one of my biggest disappointments with the series in general.
Totally agree there EP. That Risa episode was aweful. I thought Star Trek totally lost the plot. I personally hated all the love relationship crap that DS9 got into.
14-12-2011, 00:59   #23

"Come to Quark's!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg8o__6bEEY
Thanks from:
14-12-2011, 17:15   #24
De Bhál

this always makes me laugh

(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-12-2011, 12:41   #25
azezil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstein View Post
One thing that always annoyed me was the ships always being oriented in the same plane as each other. Funny that both Star Trek and Star Wars both suffered from this 2 dimensional thinking regarding their ships & fleets. It was a bit late to realise ships can go any direction in space when Riker's future tri-nacelled Enterprise D finally engaged the Klingons in a different plane in All Good Things.
Eeeehhhh, Star Trek 2??
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2011, 17:04   #26
Goldstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by azezil View Post
Eeeehhhh, Star Trek 2??
lol, ok, everything except Star Trek 2 and All Good Things. There are a few others (Scorpion, Face of the Enemy, First Contact etc) but it's still a ratio of hundreds to one against. 99% of the time they thought in 2 dimensions and almost never brought the notion of pitch into things. Roll was used seldom enough as it was. And the reason is obvious if you consider that many of the vfx shots (especially in early episodes) were composed and shot using fairly large models which somewhat limited them. They also complemented vfx shots any way they could even hanging models from strings to make the shot work. Strings aren't mad about the whole 3-dimensional thing.

If you think back on how Firefly or Battlestar handled spacial awareness, they did demonstrate much more of an understanding that space is 3 dimensional in how they portrayed ship travel using all of the dynamic parameters inherent to space travel. Granted they had access to today's technology and I'm sure the next iteration of Star Trek will no doubt follow suit. When we're likely to see that is the real question. I'm still undecided whether Abrams' space action films will ultimately have a positive or negative effect on the future of a proper Trek tv show.

Making the science as realsistic as possible in Science Fiction benefits the genre, not hinders it. Especially with Star Trek - the harder the sci-fi the better.
18-12-2011, 15:13   #27
nyarlothothep

There are few greater pleasures than watching Star Trek III whilst drinking wine beside a fire or alternatively eating breakfast whilst watching Star Trek.
19-12-2011, 02:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by azezil View Post
Eeeehhhh, Star Trek 2??
Where is this use of 3D tactics? In the nebula there is a tiny variation in the Y axis but there is no Z axis difference. The attitude of the ships remains the same.

I might be forgetting something though
19-12-2011, 02:52   #29
Kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrie rugger View Post
Where is this use of 3D tactics? In the nebula there is a tiny variation in the Y axis but there is no Z axis difference. The attitude of the ships remains the same.

I might be forgetting something though
In an episode of Voyager, Commander Chuckles does an honest to god loop-de-loop in a shuttle dog fight........and it works. He destroys the other shuttle because it just had to keep going in a straight line.

Take that two dimensions!
19-12-2011, 05:13   #30
GreenWolfe

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (36.2 KB, 872 views)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion