Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If anyone plays homeworld 1/2 it provides a pretty decent Z axis system for attacking ships and there's a star trek mod for it.

But in ST z-axis ship to ship fighting is pretty poor. I think theres a couple of defiant battles but in general its not done. I think because the ships take up so much screen space they dont bother.

Also if you take a look at Stargate and the ep where the Ori ships come through
    Around the 58 second mark, it looks odd tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I think that's due to formation and size of the Ori ships, looks a little better before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of watching DS9 now, I'm being reminded how funny Quark is, he was great.

It was Odo and Quark that saved DS9, IMHO... Or maybe René and Armin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Odo / Quark, and Bashir / O'Brien were some of the best things about DS9.

Oh, and Bashir / Garak. And Dukat / Garak. And Worf / Martok. And Odo / Weyoun.

And Quark / Rom :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Star Trek films on over the next few days on Film 4

Tonight - 6.20pm - The Motion Picture

Tomorrow - 6.50pm - The Wrath of Khan

Friday - 7pm - The Search for Spock

Saturday - 9pm - Star Trek (2009)

• Advertisement

Just finished Season 7 of DS9. Damn fast watching box-sets, what the feck am I supposed to watch now? :eek:

Just finished Season 7 of DS9. Damn fast watching box-sets, what the feck am I supposed to watch now? :eek:

Network 2, as Star Trek (2009) is on right now :pac:

I'm on season 4 of DS9 but I'm watching another show at the same time so it's stretched out.

I'm on season 4 of DS9 but I'm watching another show at the same time so it's stretched out.

How did you get on with "The Visitor"? I got so choked up watching it was almost unbearable.

How did you get on with "The Visitor"? I got so choked up watching it was almost unbearable.

I've seen it a few times, not one of my favorite episodes but it's one that reminds me of the Outer Limits, a story that can stand out on its own even if DS9 wasn't around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Stargate SG1, you can thank me later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Nu Battlestar Galactica the true followup to DS9!

I have BSG on DVD, must get around to watching it. I watched the pilot and it sort of put me to sleep a bit. I think I might just get stuck into Season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

my sister is on the show, what gets my goat is how they can lose or not establish communications, come on guys why are we still having problems with technology so far advanced,

then there is the telly porter, I cant get a lock on captain, jordi just farted and its interfering with the signal,

also why do they use our history when setting up scenes in the hologram suite, oh and you can not get harmed in here, ooh shiit, I mean that's what they told me, sorry.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Stargate SG1, you can thank me later

I did it the other way around, just as fun :D
    I have BSG on DVD, must get around to watching it. I watched the pilot and it sort of put me to sleep a bit. I think I might just get stuck into Season 1.

Pilot was drawn out, I had to watch it two or three times to make sure I didn't miss any of it, most of the rest is more fast paced.
    my sister is on the show, what gets my goat is how they can lose or not establish communications, come on guys why are we still having problems with technology so far advanced,

then there is the telly porter, I cant get a lock on captain, jordi just farted and its interfering with the signal,

also why do they use our history when setting up scenes in the hologram suite, oh and you can not get harmed in here, ooh shiit, I mean that's what they told me, sorry.

Communications go out in all the shows for many different reasons, easy way of adding peril to a story.

Same as above, think the Enterprise crew tracked it down to O'Brien leaving.

Safety, it can be turned off, Voyager has some episodes dealing with it and I think there are a few TNG that touch on it.

If your sis is Robin Leffler tell her I said hi :D

Joking aside, who did she play?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

One problem I see is the universal translator (UT).
    Where is it?
    In DS9 'Little Green Men' Quark Nog & Rom end up in Roswell, they hit their heads trying to get the UT working, so it must be inside their head.

In Ent, the computer & that awefull actor does the translations, a lot of time is spent on language translation problems. But with scences set on planets, aliens & humans have no problem communicating, they have no computer doing the translation.

From wiki, by the 24 century the UT is built into the communication pins, but we don't hear both, the original voice just the translated one.

Not everyone on DS9 has a communication pin and many other episodes like Voyager when Janeway & crew were brainwashed & stuck on a planet as slaves (same story as the SG1 one) no problems communicating.

Nevermind the DS9-mirror universe, they speak the same language, or the UT just happens to be compatable.

At least HGTTG has a Babble-fish
    In a few episodes of Star trek ..... the UT stops working, or computers are down, so what and where is it?

www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_translator
    Does explain a lot, I never took any notice of it untill Enterprise as they made a big deal out of it.

The Universal Translator has always been 'A Wizard did it' kind of thing for me. Fair enough if a computer could translate the language, but somehow replace the original sound and mouth movement? Definitely a wizard.

Either that or English has become the Galaxy standard language :pac:

It's just a writing convenience. At least they've acknowledged it exists, rather than expecting people to believe English is the language of choice all over the galaxy.

It's like the transporter, model shots were too costly in the TOS days so they needed a convenient method of getting from ship to shore.

It juts takes the monotony out of complications, just write your way around them & hopefully focus on the story rather than the technicalities.

I didn't like the Enterprise take on the UT, mainly early episodes, one minute Hoshi says the UT isn't locking on then Archer or T'Pol start pushing her and magically she fluently speaking to the alien.

There is an episode from TNG where Picard has to go to a planet with an alien and try to figure out how they speak as the UT couldn't pick it up, turns out it was the way they spoke, in story form if memory serves.

• Advertisement

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra! Shaka, when the walls fell.

:cool:

There is an episode from TNG where Picard has to go to a planet with an alien and try to figure out how they speak as the UT couldn't pick it up, turns out it was the way they spoke, in story form if memory serves.

That wasn't a problem with UT though, as Picard was hearing the language in English. It was how they communicated, rather than constructed sentences, they used met-A-phor

I loved that episode. Just watched some of it there (thank you Youtube), and still really good. TNG, when it was good, was really bloody good.

My random query is why Security never beamed to places on the ships when there was danger. As in, enemies on Deck 3, so just beam to nearby. Or at the very least, why did they walk everywhere? I can rarely think of anytime during an emergency that they ran.

One thing I didn't understand about the Universal Translator was why the language always was in English, apart from the odd phrase that would appear in the species natural language, Klingon for example. I'm guessing the idea was that each race spoke their own language but the UT would translate it into a language the listener could understand. If that is the case, how come certain phrases would still be spoken in their native language? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

One thing I didn't understand about the Universal Translator was why the language always was in English, apart from the odd phrase that would appear in the species natural language, Klingon for example. I'm guessing the idea was that each race spoke their own language but the UT would translate it into a language the listener could understand. If that is the case, how come certain phrases would still be spoken in their native language? :)

I just took it as there are certain phrases that lose their meaning if translated, or just can't be directly translated. Sort of like how english speaking people might say 'je ne sais quoi' or 'deja vu' rather than translate to 'I don't know what' or 'already seen' *. Perhaps the universal translator either ignores those phrases (an idea I don't really like) or is programmed to leave such phrases in their original languages.

*My translations may be completely off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

If your sis is Robin Leffler tell her I said hi :D

Joking aside, who did she play?

I am surprised you did not figure it, she was 7 of 9, we are meeting the collective for the new year.

a darn sight finer than Robin.

I am surprised you did not figure it, she was 7 of 9, we are meeting the collective for the new year.

a darn sight finer than Robin.

Lol, blame the xmas excess

Just finished a run through of 1-6...2 is the best for me. What a film :cool:

Just finished a run through of 1-6...2 is the best for me. What a film :cool:

I prefer 4 and 6.

• Advertisement

2 and 6, followed by 4 for me.

Advertisement