Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm not sure what the best email to use to be honest but I'm guessing the expert one is as good as any. Unfortunately I've found ferguson to be a little slow at times responsing to specific issues.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Hi,

I got this Ferguson box last week, very impressive. Originally I couldn't pick up any terrestrial channels on an automatic scan, but using Kerbdog's channel listing (thanks!) and rebooting the box has it running fine for Irish DTT.

Has anyone had any success picking up the UK Freeview channels?

My Samsung TV will pick them up, as will the PlayTV box on the PS3 - so I have at least passable coverage from the rooftop aerial.

Thanks,
    Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

fast_eddie wrote: »
    Hi,

I got this Ferguson box last week, very impressive. Originally I couldn't pick up any terrestrial channels on an automatic scan, but using Kerbdog's channel listing (thanks!) and rebooting the box has it running fine for Irish DTT.

Has anyone had any success picking up the UK Freeview channels?

My Samsung TV will pick them up, as will the PlayTV box on the PS3 - so I have at least passable coverage from the rooftop aerial.

Thanks,
    Eddie

If your terrestrial tuner on your Samsung is picking up digital channels there is absolutely no reason why the Ferguson shouldnt. Have you tried going into the terrestrial scan with the aerial connection that is going to your TV connected to the aerial in connection on the box instead ?

You will then have to edit the favourites list that you have loaded to include the new stations from your terrestrial scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I've also updated my channel list - edited and added the BBCi services & CBBCs manually as for some reason they didn't show up in a scan.
    Also, threw the different channels into 'Favorates' categories.

Do the BBCi not show up as stream-0, stream-1 etc? I think they did for me.

Did you create the list entirely in the editor, and then load it? I think I had a list I'd created on the box, loaded it into the editor, but when I loaded it back the order in the favourite list was jumbled. Must have another go.

I see you left out Press TV & Russia Today...worth a look for Max Keiser if want an alternative take on the world economy:)

@fast eddie: you could try scanning the particular mux number, instead of a complete scan. The other thing worth a look is the antenna power setting. Turning it off/on has fixed no signal for me, although I do have it powering a masthead amp.

@Tony: They replied to me once, before I'd bought it, confirming the watch one tuner record another feature. I don't expect a reply anymore, just to make the right people aware of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

rurs wrote: »
    Do the BBCi not show up as stream-0, stream-1 etc? I think they did for me.

Did you create the list entirely in the editor, and then load it? I think I had a list I'd created on the box, loaded it into the editor, but when I loaded it back the order in the favourite list was jumbled. Must have another go.

I see you left out Press TV & Russia Today...worth a look for Max Keiser if want an alternative take on the world economy:)

Edited the favourites on the box mostly, then some more edits in the editor software.
    I think I got a little delete happy initially :) so i might have deleted BBCi/stream-0 etc. by mistake. Missed Press TV & Russia Today - arse, will manually add those in which I noticed I could only do via the editor? Any way of doing this via the boxes menus I wonder...

• Advertisement

Another release is already out here - S022beta

Another firmware release already - S023
    firmware version: S023
    fix: teletext bug in S022

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

STB wrote: »
    Have you tried going into the terrestrial scan with the aerial connection that is going to your TV connected to the aerial in connection on the box instead ?

Thanks STB - kicking myself for not thinking of that already.

I moved the Ferguson to the sitting room and connected the aerial going into the TV, a "terrestrial" scan picked up all the expected channels (better quality than the Samsung TV, less stuttering) - a quick save and moved back to the room where it will be used, the channels were still available and working. :)

Obviously a lot of attenuation going on - I'm not sure where or how the aerial installer did his thing to run the cable to three separate points from one aerial, but in fairness the cabling was installed several years ago and has been fine for analog reception.

Anyhoo, immediate problem solved - many thanks folks!

Regards,
    Eddie

Edited the favourites on the box mostly, then some more edits in the editor software.
    I think I got a little delete happy initially :) so i might have deleted BBCi/stream-0 etc. by mistake. Missed Press TV & Russia Today - arse, will manually add those in which I noticed I could only do via the editor? Any way of doing this via the boxes menus I wonder...

You could always scan the particular transponders these channels are on, and then delete the channels you don't want? But you probably knew that... I don't think there's any way to add individual channels without scanning.

New firmware - S025 Beta
    firmware version: S025
    fix: new Cyfra CAID

firmware version: S024
    mod: Antenna power 5V is now disabled by default

I saw that myself, they have an rss feed on the download page, which I'm following.

Nothing particularly useful in the last few updates from my point of view. I've mailed them about a teletext bug (subpages don't work well), also the highlighted program in the epg jumps back to start of the day, after looking at the detailed info for the current or later time.

Anyone else mailed them with these problems or others?
    Maybe a bit of pressure from users could influence them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whiterteeth

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and expertise. It has helped meet greatly. Consequently I hope my question is reasonable. My son has a satellite dish and receiver. He also has an aerial for Irish tv. He and his family seldom get to look at what they want so a recorder would come in useful.
    After reading most of the threads I am considering the Ferguson Ariva. I need to know what is the best external hard drive with Fat32? I'm reading that any recorder that does not have an internal hard drive is not a true PVR! The Ferguson is a good price and I hope will fill the bill but I would really value your advice. My head is full of 7 day EPG etc so any imput would be welcome. Many thanks.

Info on external hard disk here. Any disk can be formatted in FAT32, how it's powered is the point.

As regards the PVR question, I suppose you could argue that a fully featured PVR would have an internal HDD, and also have twin satellite tuners, so you can watch and record the full range of channels at once. With the Ariva, if you are recording a satellite channel, say BBC1 London, you can only watch channels on the same transponder (ie frequency), which in the case of BBC1 London is BBC2 England, BBC3, Five etc, or the Irish channels on DTT.

However, you're looking at €400 plus for a triple tuner combo, plus extra cabling from the dish. If it's the case that you're just not at home when something is on, a twin/triple tuner is overkill. If you just want a drop in replacement for an existing satellite and terrestrial install, plus the added bonus of PVR features, the Ariva is as good as any.

I went on a scheduling blitz recently, and discovered that the maximum number of recordings you can schedule is 21.

There's a lot to take in alright, keep the questions coming and it will all become clear!

Thank you rurs for your very helpful and encouraging reply.

I think I can get a 320 Mb Iomega hard drive for about €75 here in Dublin. I hope that I won't need to format it, looks difficult, but merely plug it in and away it goes! Again thanks

I was in Bray today!

Yea could get yourself a 2.5" 1TB USB powered drive for €100~ delivered from Amazon

Ah, just noted;
    HDD only up to 750 GB are supported
    Ignore me so ;)

I think the ferguson works better with self powered drives from what I've heard back so far. Anyone had success with USB powered drives?

Thank you rurs for your very helpful and encouraging reply.

I think I can get a 320 Mb Iomega hard drive for about €75 here in Dublin. I hope that I won't need to format it, looks difficult, but merely plug it in and away it goes! Again thanks

I was in Bray today!

There's a menu item on the box itself to format a usb disk, try that first. I'm not sure why Ferguson go into so much detail on that FAQ page. I can't remember how I did it...

I'd be inclined to go for a disk that needs no external power supply, or needs a second usb port for power. Which drive specifically were you thinking about? I see Peats and Power City have the same Iomega models at reasonable prices that seem to fit the bill.

Tony wrote: »
    I think the ferguson works better with self powered drives from what I've heard back so far. Anyone had success with USB powered drives?

Cross posts and purposes, Tony:D

I've been using a usb powered Buffalo MiniStation 320gb (model HD-PE320U2/BK-EU) since day one, no problems, spins down after a few minutes in standby, can record and watch HD etc.

Ferguson recommend the WD My Passport Essential, I think they're USB powered?

I suppose a self powered drive is guaranteed to work, it's a bit more chancey with a usb powered one, but it's another load of wires to accommodate...

What proportion of your customers have had problems(if that's not too "personal" a question:-))Surely if the drive is designed to work from a single port on a laptop, it should get enough power from the STB? I don't know how you could measure if the STB gives the full 500ma on the usb port that a port is supposed to provide....Any ideas?

Interesting, guess it was just one or two reviewers that had this problem.

You seem to get more useful info from ferguson than I do :)

rurs wrote: »
    Cross posts and purposes, Tony:D

I've been using a usb powered Buffalo MiniStation 320gb (model HD-PE320U2/BK-EU) since day one, no problems, spins down after a few minutes in standby, can record and watch HD etc.

Ferguson recommend the WD My Passport Essential, I think they're USB powered?

I suppose a self powered drive is guaranteed to work, it's a bit more chancey with a usb powered one, but it's another load of wires to accommodate...

What proportion of your customers have had problems(if that's not too "personal" a question:-))Surely if the drive is designed to work from a single port on a laptop, it should get enough power from the STB?

Interesting, guess it was just one or two reviewers that had this problem.

You seem to get more useful info from ferguson than I do :)

Not really, maybe I have more time to trawl their site ;)...the info on the disks is in their FAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ritx75

ariva_big.pngI bought this one from fergusonshop.com couple weeks ago. 118€ already with delivery to Ireland.
    Ferguson Ariva do the same that Openbox s9 just this is European product, the performance and picture quality is way much better, the firmware support is excellent. The is no HD Channel issues and the USUALS works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

Looks like this guy works fergusonshop.com.

joe250 wrote: »

And since the thread is about the combo box I'm not sure of the relevance of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

joe250 wrote: »

Yeah, only this advertising post and another listing a cardsharing forum that the fergusonshop.com sponsors, I smell a rat...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harry1

How does this receiver compare to the Humax Foxsat HD PVR? Apart from the obvious that it can receive DTT channels and doesn’t have built-in HDD!!
    The Humax is an excellent receiver so just wondering how good the Ferguson is in comparison if anyone has experience of both before I decide on giving it up!

I was thinking about a combo box now that DTT is available countrywide.

Also, is it possible to receive TV3 via analogue without having to unplug the aerial from the receiver and plugging into the TV? I.e. can I just switch the input source on the TV and watch TV3 on normal analogue until it is available on DTT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

harry1 wrote: »
    How does this receiver compare to the Humax Foxsat HD PVR? Apart from the obvious that it can receive DTT channels and doesn’t have built-in HDD!!
    The Humax is an excellent receiver so just wondering how good the Ferguson is in comparison if anyone has experience of both before I decide on giving it up!

I was thinking about a combo box now that DTT is available countrywide.

Also, is it possible to receive TV3 via analogue without having to unplug the aerial from the receiver and plugging into the TV? I.e. can I just switch the input source on the TV and watch TV3 on normal analogue until it is available on DTT?

never had ferguson so couldnt comment but had humax foxsat hd and it was excellent piece of kit for freesat -- hard to beat in pure freesat terms.

as regards analogue tv3 there is no longer any need as is now officially on dtt since yesterday afternoon

Dont give it up, just get a Terrestrial only HD box that can take an external hard drive .

harry1 wrote: »
    H

Again, many thanks to all for sharing your expertise with this silver haired learner. I read many of the threads on combo boxes and finally ordered a Clarke-Tech HD 6600 SST PVR with Samsung Hard Disk: 500 GB. It seems that it will meet my needs and I'm looking forward to it expectantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harry1

Thanks irishchris and Tony for replies.
    Dont give it up, just get a Terrestrial only HD box that can take an external hard drive .

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi,

I got a Ferguson Ariva HD Combo for my parents around a month ago.
    I did a factory reset and I am happy with the Irish DTT and satellite channels.
    However my Father powers the receiver and tv off from the mains every night. When powering the receiver power on in the morning Irish Dtt channels may not be on (Black screen "no signal") I may have to power receiver on and off a couple of times to get Dtt channels back or carry out a Terestrial scan to get them back.
    Satellite channels work fine on powering the reciever.

Has anybody noticed this problem or is it just this box.:confused:

Thanks for any help

• Advertisement

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a Ferguson Ariva HD Combo for my parents around a month ago.
    I did a factory reset and I am happy with the Irish DTT and satellite channels.
    However my Father powers the receiver and tv off from the mains every night. When powering the receiver power on in the morning Irish Dtt channels may not be on (Black screen "no signal") I may have to power receiver on and off a couple of times to get Dtt channels back or carry out a Terestrial scan to get them back.
    Satellite channels work fine on powering the reciever.

Has anybody noticed this problem or is it just this box.:confused:

Thanks for any help

I heard this this was an issue, always good to ensure the box is running the most up to date firmware/software. Other than that, I'd say leave it plugged in and on standby

Advertisement