Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

Has any one had the problem where the info panel shows the current program but the next program info is cut off by the bottom of the screen.

Any thoughts on how to fix. I have put on the latest firmware but no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭victory10

Has any one had the problem where the info panel shows the current program but the next program info is cut off by the bottom of the screen.

Any thoughts on how to fix. I have put on the latest firmware but no difference.

This looks like a screen window and resolution problem.
    Try to adjust the TV Window preference (16/9, 4/3, etc) and pixel size using the receiver menus and also the TV menus.
    Does the picture look normal, for example people don't look fatter or thinner than normal or a circular logo looks eliptec?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hifinut

Brought my new ariva to house system and all is perfect so no need to retune, where im putting it there is a new dish etc.

I tuned dish with fringe meter and can get up to about two thirds on meter,signal strength on ariva is 73 % and zero signal quality.
    Any help appreciated, or if any one knows a good sat eng in Galway I will pay for someone to come and set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

victory10 wrote: »
    I can't figure out an easy way to add a channel to the FAV (Favorite list).
    If channel number 800 in the All list and I want to add it to the Movies FAV, I need to scroll to number 800 using Favorite Edit, which is time consuming and rather tiring for the fingers, as it starts always from number 1 and not from the current channel number.
    Is there a quicker way to add a channel that you find interesting enough to add to FAV without going through this procedure?
    I suppose it is possible to use the PC to make a list, but I would rather use the receiver menus.

You can sort channels by name (when viewing a channel: OK->OPT->name) before you enter favourite menu, that way channels might be nearer top or bottom of list. Use page up/down button to speed navigation. Not ideal, but can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

hifinut wrote: »
    meter,signal strength on ariva is 73 % and zero signal quality.
    Any help appreciated, or if any one knows a good sat eng in Galway I will pay for someone to come and set it up.

Most likely you are aligned to the wrong satellite

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Brought my new ariva to house system and all is perfect so no need to retune, where im putting it there is a new dish etc.

I tuned dish with fringe meter and can get up to about two thirds on meter,signal strength on ariva is 73 % and zero signal quality.

73% means connection to dish is OK.

Check www.dishpointer.com to get an idea of where to aim dish. A compass comes in handy.
    Dish should be near vertical, not tipped too far forward or back, (but varies depending on how far north you are). LNB will need to be skewed (rotated) clockwise when viewed from front, 10-15 degrees, ie cable exit at about 7 o'clock.

What sort of dish is it?

@Victory10,
    I came across this page, and this document, which both state that IDAN+ (I think this is the name of DTT in Israel) uses HE-AAC v2.

Is this what you are receiving?

RTENL minimum requirements is for HE-AAC v1, should be backwards compatible.

If so, great news. I emailed Ferguson months ago asking if HE-AAC was supported on Ariva Combo, their silence led me to think it wasn't, and made me hesitant to recommend the Ariva to friends/family, even though there's been no such transmissions in Ireland yet.

I'm more optimistic now:D

Its a perforated sky dish, did not know about skewing the lnb, does it make a difference.

Its a perforated sky dish, did not know about skewing the lnb, does it make a difference.

You said it is a new dish. Did you put it up yourself? Do you have clear line of sight to the sky to the south/south-east?

I've never used a Sky dish, not sure how easy they are to adjust. My neighbour has one, and the LNB is skewed, it is important, it lines up the LNB with the H/V transponders from the satellite, I believe. Once you have found 28e, then you fine tune by skewing. It should give a few more % quality, and give more reliable reception.

Any sky dishes in your locality, have a look at them, to give you an idea what it should look like.

Ferguson informed that this model is being discontinued. They say there may be a new model in February but no definite date yet I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Tony wrote: »
    Ferguson informed that this model is being discontinued. They say there may be a new model in February but no definite date yet I'm afraid.

This is not good news- I just bought one of these before Christmas after researching the market. I picked this one over the Edison Argus VIP 2 based on price / functionality.

I assume this means no more firmware upgrades?

I don't think its bad news if you already have a box. If a firmware upgrade is needed I'm sure it will continue as before. If you don't have a specific problem I tend not to upgrade firmware myself.

patrickpc wrote: »
    This is not good news- I just bought one of these before Christmas after researching the market. I picked this one over the Edison Argus VIP 2 based on price / functionality.

I assume this means no more firmware upgrades?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

I'm not getting any now or next info through - my Ferguson combo doesn't know what's on! Firmware is pretty recent. Has anyone had this problem? Is it a setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Did you ever get info on now and next.

Is this problem on both terrestrial and satellite channels ?
    Have you tried powering down the receiver at the mains and re booting box ?
    Have you tried a factory reset ?
    Which satellite are you using ?

I'm using Astra2 EB1.

Just a quick note to say thanks to the people that replied to my questions last week. i eventually hired a v good sat engineer and he diagnosed a faulty LNB. The symptom was, signal strength was 73 % but quality would only come up with physical adjustment of LNB, then power down ariva and zero quality.

On a diff note , I have two Humax boxes also and find the ariva much more user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭victory10

rurs wrote: »
    @Victory10,
    I came across this page, and this document, which both state that IDAN+ (I think this is the name of DTT in Israel) uses HE-AAC v2.

Is this what you are receiving?

RTENL minimum requirements is for HE-AAC v1, should be backwards compatible.

If so, great news. I emailed Ferguson months ago asking if HE-AAC was supported on Ariva Combo, their silence led me to think it wasn't, and made me hesitant to recommend the Ariva to friends/family, even though there's been no such transmissions in Ireland yet.

I'm more optimistic now:D

Hello rurs,
    Sorry for the late reply, but there is something wrong with the my e-mail notifications for this thread.
    Anyway, I can confirm that the Israeli DTT transmits the channels in HE-AAC and the Ferguson Ariva output the sound alright.
    I am attaching two text files from MediaInfo analysis, one for Channel 2 coming from DTT and the other from Channel 2 coming from Amos Satellite.
    Hope that this helps.
    regards,
    victory10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

victory10 wrote: »
    Anyway, I can confirm that the Israeli DTT transmits the channels in HE-AAC and the Ferguson Ariva output the sound alright.

Good to know victory10.

I got one of these for my folks for Christmas to replace a Globalteq Combo receiver (one of the first Combo's available with MPEG4) and have to say it's a great bit of kit and feature rich for the money, however Ferguson's support and the very unfriendly layout and set up do really let it down. This would have been the fifth Combo receiver I'd have experience with so have a good idea what to expect.

As a side note, if people are looking for a paid program to edit, manipulate, transcode and /or burn recorded files to DVD I can highly recommend VideoRedo, although it is VERY expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Ordered the Ferguson Ariva from Tony - should be here tomorrow, will let you know what I think (if anyone's interested).

BTW I'm using an AverMedia PCI DB card for now (hooked up via VGA) and the reception for Saorview is superior to UPC digital TV.

Thanks, good to see you got your broadband back.

nodolan wrote: »
    Ordered the Ferguson Ariva from Tony - should be here tomorrow, will let you know what I think (if anyone's interested).

Got email confirmations of ordering and shipping from Tony.
    Got an email from DPD then a text and then a call from the DPD driver.
    Ferguson Ariva and satellite dish arrived safe and sound.
    One hour later we have all the Saorview and Freeview channels - sweet Jeebus so many channels...and such quality!!

BTW: My satellite dish is mounted onto a camera tripod inside my window - and the quality (and quantity) is far better than UPC.

• Advertisement

WHen I press EPG I only get details of the next two progs on that particular chanell, could this be correct ??

WHen I press EPG I only get details of the next two progs on that particular chanell, could this be correct ??
    When you select that channel a bigger menu opens up below with the rest of the EPG for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Yes, correct when viewing EPG information on Free to air satellite channel ie BBC HD, ITV1 HD "now and next".
    However you should be getting 7 day EPG information on terrestrial channels ie. Saorview RTE One etc and Freeview channels if available.

so is there no way to see what is on freeview except now and next ??

so is there no way to see what is on freeview except now and next ??

I take it you mean Freesat ? Presently there is now way to do this . In the future it may be able to pull the epg via a broadband connection .

thanks for clarification, what i cannoy understand is that I can get a weeks programmes schedule on my humax box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

thanks for clarification, what i cannoy understand is that I can get a weeks programmes schedule on my humax box.

Because they use the freesat data (Like sky does using a epg data stream). Normal FTA receivers cant do this. Some linux boxes can read the data streams.

thanks for that , one learns something new everyday, a bit dissapointed , but what the hell.

On a different note, the picture on bbc hd is stunning, am i right in saying that the rte terrestrial chanells are NOT in hd yet ? as they are inferior.

willie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

I think RTE2 is broadcast in HD.

• Advertisement

that would make sense as it is the one that stands out thanks

Advertisement