Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva HD Combo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Tony wrote: »
    Is anyone using the ferguson to get DTT HD from UK freeview ?

How could you? It doesn't have a DVB-T2 tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

gtg60 wrote: »
    How could you? It doesn't have a DVB-T2 tuner.

Thats why I asked, wanted to confirm this. Ferguson sometimes forget to include capabilities in the spec.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

Hi
    I purchased one of these receivers recently and am happy enough so far.
    However, I do have a problem when watching news channels the news ticker at the bottom of the screen seems to stutter across the screen instead of a smooth flow. Does anyone else have a similar problem or a solution for this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

pigeon1916 wrote: »
    Hi
    I purchased one of these receivers recently and am happy enough so far.
    However, I do have a problem when watching news channels the news ticker at the bottom of the screen seems to stutter across the screen instead of a smooth flow. Does anyone else have a similar problem or a solution for this?

Thanks

I noticed that too - I had to lower the box video output res down to from the highest setting (think it was 1080p) to ensure camera pans and tickets didn't stutter

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I noticed that too - I had to lower the box video output res down to from the highest setting (think it was 1080p) to ensure camera pans and tickets didn't stutter

Hi KeRbDoG
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried what you mentioned and it worked.
    I went into Menu/setting/A/V settings and then changed the resolution from
    1080i 60Hz to 1080i 50Hz after that I could not see any visual change other than the ticker stops stuttering. :D

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

You can also use the "Format" button on the remote to cycle through the options. You might find that 720p/50Hz might look better on some material, depending on how well your TV handles interlacing.

Does anyone have any experience with sub cards in the card reader?
    What encryption method is supported, or do you need a 3rd party firmware.
    I'm thinking of getting a Cyfra+ card (Conax, I think), or maybe Art Sport (irdeto or viaaccess?).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 davidhand365

Has anyone tuned in BBC1 HD on this box yet??
    Is it posssible / if so, how??

It is possible, yea just need to do a satellite scan and it will pop up. Might mess up any channel organising you have already done.
    Whenever I get a chance to drop out to the parents I will post up a channel list dump for this box thats all nicely organised for DVB-S and also Three Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Hi there,

It may be a stupid question but is it possible for the Ferguson Ariva to output to multiple displays at the same time?

What I hope is possible is to output picture & sound to HDMI, SCART and Component simultaneously to feed 3 different TVs. At a minimum I'd like to output to both HDMI and SCART.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

No reason that I know of that it would not work.

patrickpc wrote: »
    Hi there,

It may be a stupid question but is it possible for the Ferguson Ariva to output to multiple displays at the same time?

What I hope is possible is to output picture & sound to HDMI, SCART and Component simultaneously to feed 3 different TVs. At a minimum I'd like to output to both HDMI and SCART.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,

-P

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Has anyone tuned in BBC1 HD on this box yet??
    Is it posssible / if so, how??

From the remote: Menu>Installation>Satellite TP setup>Astra 2 EB1

then select "Transponder Number", select the one that corresponds to BBC 1 HD, (10847 Vertical, 22000), then move the cursor onto the frequency line, (I've found this prevents it scanning all transponders), then press the red button and follow the prompts. BBC 1 HD will then be added at the end of your current list.

You will need to do this anytime a channel is added or moved around on Astra 2/Eurobird 1. I find Kingofsat the easiest to use to see what's available.

Otherwise, attached is my current list inc. BBC1 HD, 3e etc.

@patrick pc: HDMI and Scart both work at the same time, I can't test component, but there's nothing in the menus or manual to suggest it's inactive when the others are being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Hi,

However my Father powers the receiver and tv off from the mains every night. When powering the receiver power on in the morning Irish Dtt channels may not be on (Black screen "no signal") I may have to power receiver on and off a couple of times to get Dtt channels back or carry out a Terestrial scan to get them back.
    Satellite channels work fine on powering the reciever.

Hi again, I carried out another factory reset and all appears to be working well (fingers crossed).
    Didnt do any firmware updates or channel back up yet.

Thanks

rurs wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with sub cards in the card reader?
    What encryption method is supported, or do you need a 3rd party firmware.
    I'm thinking of getting a Cyfra+ card (Conax, I think), or maybe Art Sport (irdeto or viaaccess?).

Hi
    I am awaiting the arrival of a Cyfra + card at the moment and will let you now how I get on. The software version on my box is 025. Hopefully I wont have to many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭victory10

Hi
    I am awaiting the arrival of a Cyfra + card at the moment and will let you now how I get on. The software version on my box is 025. Hopefully I wont have to many problems.

I used the Cyfra+ card in the past in another receiver and it was a great value for money, with several channels that have English audio.
    The encryption is Seca and you shouldn't have any problem with opening the channels using the card reader, as the box is meant for Poland and it is unlikely that it will not work.
    Which package did you order and from where? The cheapest are from Poland.
    Please let me know if the Canal+ Sport channel does have an English audio now, as I want to buy a card for myself and at the time when I had the subscription, the English audio option transmitted the commentary only in Polish. Thanks.

Last night while using the teletext option from one of the channels, the receiver got stuck on the channel and nothing helped using front buttons or the remote.
    Pulled the power cord from the mains, waited few minutes and reconnected.
    This time the last channel was showing the picture without the teletext window, but it is still stuck.
    Tried the power disconnection method few more times, but nothing seems to help.
    It looks like their teletext development is buggy, and one should be very careful how to use it.
    Anyway, I am looking now for answers if anyone has a solution to this problem, or if there is a factory reset using a combination from the front panel buttons (some receivers have such an option) and I am hoping that I will not need to send it for repairs, as the shipment cost would simply be not worth it.

This morning I reconnected the power cord, but wasn't able to change channels using the remote, but luckily I was able to change channels using the front buttons. It seems that I didn't do this test last night and was trying to do the obvious thing using the remote.
    Now I am suspecting the remote has become faulty all of a sudden, which is strange as the receiver worked only about two weeks. Changed batteries to new ones, but this didn't help.
    The box is obviously worthless without the remote, so I need first to confirm that it is the culprit.
    Anyway, we need to have some serious trouble shooting tips for this receiver, in addition to the ones in the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Did you programe the remote to work with any other device ie. TV, if so is it still working with this device.

I sometimes forget to press stb button going back to the reciever.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Did you programe the remote to work with any other device ie. TV, if so is it still working with this device.

I sometimes forget to press stb button going back to the reciever.

A big thanks for the tip FRIENDO. The remote is back to normal after pressing STB.

If you're ever stuck in the future, you can hold down the power button on the front of the unit for 10 seconds or so to force a factory reset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Did you update your firmware there was a fix for the teletext issue try HDcombo_firmware_S025_2010-10-21 it sorted mine available on the Ferguson Poland Website

razor_ryan wrote: »
    Did you update your firmware there was a fix for the teletext issue try HDcombo_firmware_S025_2010-10-21 it sorted mine available on the Ferguson Poland Website

My firmware is 025 update Oct 20 2010, so I guess it has the latest.
    Aparently the teletext didn't cause the issue. I must have accidentally pressed the TV button, which put the STB out of control.
    But the teletext is really the worst that I have seen in any satellite receiver, and any improvements in this area would be appreciated.
    Try to check the teletext in channel Arte on Hot Bird. All the alphabet characters are not showing. It shows only commas, numbers and other characters.

victory10 wrote: »
    I used the Cyfra+ card in the past in another receiver and it was a great value for money, with several channels that have English audio.
    The encryption is Seca and you shouldn't have any problem with opening the channels using the card reader, as the box is meant for Poland and it is unlikely that it will not work.
    Which package did you order and from where? The cheapest are from Poland.
    Please let me know if the Canal+ Sport channel does have an English audio now, as I want to buy a card for myself and at the time when I had the subscription, the English audio option transmitted the commentary only in Polish. Thanks.

I got the card Cyfra+ multipakiet + Canal+ HD yesterday from Satsklep and put it into the box today.
    It worked straight away, But I had to send Satsklep an email as the HD Channels are still scrambled. So I am waiting for them to get back to me.
    Watching the West Ham V Man City at the moment. The commentary is in Polish and the picture quality is excellent.

I got the card Cyfra+ multipakiet + Canal+ HD yesterday from Satsklep and put it into the box today.
    It worked straight away, But I had to send Satsklep an email as the HD Channels are still scrambled. So I am waiting for them to get back to me.
    Watching the West Ham V Man City at the moment. The commentary is in Polish and the picture quality is excellent.

Thanks for the update pigeon1916.
    I bought mine also from Satsklep. In their website they say that
    "Canal+ programs broadcast in English.", but English audio was only available in the films channels, not the sport channels.
    Sorry to ask, but did you try changing the audio channel using the green button?
    BTW, a great advantage of the Ariva HD Combo, is that if you change the audio channel to your preferred language, then it is saved and changing channels doesn't make any difference. A big advantage when you use the timer to record several programs from different channels.

Just checked the canal+ programs for today.
    http://www.canalplus.pl/program
    The 15:55 Piłka nożna Liga angielska Mecz West Ham United - Manchester City has this note
    na żywo live.gif,
    which could mean it has original sound (in this case English), but it is rather strange that you heard only Polish.
    Please confirm if this true for other broadcasts tonight which has this note from 17:55-00:00
    Thanks.:)

Hi
    I just tried the Green button, But it does not give an English option.
    The Canal + and Canal + Film Channels are in Polish without the option of changing to English.

But there are 3 other channels called H Test 1, H Test 2 and H Test 3.
    H Test 1 = Canal + with English audio :)
    H Test 2 = Canal + Film with English audio :)
    H Test 3 = Canal + Sport Polish audio :(

Maybe it will be English audio for the Liverpool game later.
    We shall see.

Ok. I checked my channels, and the strange thing is that only Canal+ and Canal+ Films have a second audio option when scrolling the green button
    Language 1/2(Polish) and 2/2 (Ory) (presumably for Original language)
    The Canal+ Sport and Canal+ Sport 2 have only 1/1(Polish) option. frown.gif
    Confirmed this with another receiver Nokia 9800S.

@pigeon1916, thanks for the info, I'm thinking of getting the Cyfra+ Pakiet premierowy card, as I'd like to have Eurosport also, and although HD would be nice, I can live without it. There's a long thread about foreign subs for PL football, I don't think Canal/Cyfra sport ever has English audio.

If you have a second dish and receiver, you can use BBC five live for many of the matches.

@victory10, na żywo means "live", nothing to do with audio unfortunately.

Re teletext, it is pretty ropey alright. I had a look at that arte channel you mentioned, using another receiver, all I got was a black screen with the page number rapidly moving, no useful info. On the Ariva, I got a red screen with a scattering of punctuation marks, so I'm not sure there is anything useful on this channel anyway.

My main gripe with the teletext on the Ariva is how it handles a page with subpages. There'll be a number of lines from the wrong page (say page 2/3) shown while looking at page 1/3. Other than that, the fact that the coloured buttons can't be used for shortcuts is a pain. I've written to Ferguson about this more than once, only time will tell if it's a priority for them to fix.

Thanks rurs for clearing the live note for me. I think you are right and that
    their sport channels don't have English audio track. But the films channels do have original language sound track.
    The Cyfra+ Pakiet premierowy card will give you about 10 channels with English audio, so it is a good choice. Please note that it would be better to order it at the begining of the month, as the shop will activate it the day of the order, and you can enjoy more subscription period (5 months+current month) for the "current month". So I am personally thinking of ordering about the 2nd of January 2011, instead of this week.
    The Ariva teletext certainly needs improvements. The Arte channel does send excellent teletext information (I use it mainly for the daily programming on pages 400-405), so try checking it again with other receivers if you have the chance.
    Please see attached two pages from Arte teletext, saved from a DVB-S card on my PC.

• Advertisement

My updated channel list with EuroNews corrected as someone PM'ed me looking for it.
    This is for 3Rock and the UK Freesat (and more) channels

Advertisement